The Last Ref In our South Africa Game was Sneaky Bad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
The Last Ref In our South Africa Game was Sneaky Bad

Post by airwolex »

Nothing egregrious but he made a few mistakes that I missed.

- I think we should have had a penalty when Williams clobbered Ekong. He got his fingers on the ball but it was dangerous play and for me VAR should have flagged it. I have seen those given.

- Osimhen tried a shot from the half way that was blocked with the hand and he looked away. That was a goal bound shot even if it was from a long way off. Should have been at least a yellow

- The Yusuf foul was clear and he should have called a penalty straight away.

- Perhaps the worst was the persistent fouling by Mvala. It was beyond ridiculous and he should have had two yellows and been off before extra time
Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: The Last Ref In our South Africa Game was Sneaky Bad

Post by Bell »

airwolex wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:40 pm Nothing egregrious but he made a few mistakes that I missed.

- I think we should have had a penalty when Williams clobbered Ekong. He got his fingers on the ball but it was dangerous play and for me VAR should have flagged it. I have seen those given.

- Osimhen tried a shot from the half way that was blocked with the hand and he looked away. That was a goal bound shot even if it was from a long way off. Should have been at least a yellow

- Perhaps the worst was the persistent fouling by Mvala. It was beyond ridiculous and he should have had two yellows and been off before extra time
PERSONALLY...

...I have no problem with the way he managed the game. In fact I thought he was firm and balanced. I might take it farther and say the quality of the officiating in the tournament has left little to criticize. Taking it even farther, I think the Ivory Coast has hosted a very good tournament. I can't hold the weather against them. The crowd size has been a little less than impressive with areas of total desolation in the seating areas in the Nig/SA match.
Bell
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Osimhen came in for some rough treatment and no yellows. Also never gave the foul on Moffi, VAR bailed him out
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ivory coast have hosted the best AFCON tournament in decades, hats off to them (hopefully other West African countries take a hint from them).

I expect the next tournament in Morocco to be even better with world class pitches and facilities.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

VAR only covers four things:

[1] Goal or no goal
[2] Penalty or no penalty
[3] Red card or no red card
[4] Mistaken identity

The referee had no choice but to listen to his VAR officials. On everything else, he needs the help of his two onfield assistants.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bell wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:54 pm
airwolex wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:40 pm Nothing egregrious but he made a few mistakes that I missed.

PERSONALLY...

...I have no problem with the way he managed the game. In fact I thought he was firm and balanced. I might take it farther and say the quality of the officiating in the tournament has left little to criticize. Taking it even farther, I think the Ivory Coast has hosted a very good tournament. I can't hold the weather against them. The crowd size has been a little less than impressive with areas of total desolation in the seating areas in the Nig/SA match.
Bell
I agree, he managed tge game reasonably well although I felt at the time that the South Africans pretty much roughed Osimhen.

I am not sure the foul Ekong suffered which is mentioned here. Was it the early one in South Africa goal area? If that is the case, remember it was a clash with the goalie.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:40 am
Bell wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:54 pm

PERSONALLY...

Bell
I agree, he managed tge game reasonably well although I felt at the time that the South Africans pretty much roughed Osimhen.

I am not sure the foul Ekong suffered which is mentioned here. Was it the early one in South Africa goal area? If that is the case, remember it was a clash with the goalie.
Personally, I’ve been impressed with the referees and CAF president. If Hayatou was a South African citizen, they for dash them 2 penalties against us. Percy Tau fell down in the 18 yard box like three times. A few of those times Aina outmuscled him off the ball.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I think the var actually made one mistake. The challenge on Terem Moffi should have been a penalty not a free kick.

"any foul that initiates outside the box and continues till the box will be punished with a penalty"

The video replays clearly showed that the South African defender not only started the challenge outside the box, but it in fact continued inside the box!

Therefore it was not a free kick. I saw the replay about three or four times. Yes contact outside, but importantly ALSO contact inside the box. He didn't simply fall into the box.

I am not entirely sure...but based on what I read above and what I saw. That is a penalty. Did they think there was no contact inside the box?

In fact if a player tugs a players shirt outside the box and continues to do so inside the box, it becomes a penalty. For example Troost Ekongs lengthy shirt tug would have been a penalty if it was at the edge of the box.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Doesn't the goalkeeper get the benefit of the doubt since he is exposed in these air challenges?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

Let's be frank here: Too many rules will kill the beauty of this game and the joy that it brings!
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

metalalloy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:16 am

Doesn't the goalkeeper get the benefit of the doubt since he is exposed in these air challenges?
They always get the benefit of the doubt but I have seen PKs like that given. If it was Ekong that got the faintest of touches and clattered into Williams it would have been an automatic foul for dangerous play. If the ref had called it, would not have been overruled. He was definitely scared to make major decisions, his plan was obviously to depend on VAR thus the almost comical sequence that led to Osimhens disallowed goal.

My major gripe with him however, is that he did not protect the players on both sides enough. They kicked the hell out of Osimhen and like I said, Yusuf came in and was very rough as well but he was reluctant to show his yellow cards. Perhaps he was aware that 5 South Africans were on yellows and in danger of missing the next match.
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

Tbite wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:42 am I think the var actually made one mistake. The challenge on Terem Moffi should have been a penalty not a free kick.

"any foul that initiates outside the box and continues till the box will be punished with a penalty"

The video replays clearly showed that the South African defender not only started the challenge outside the box, but it in fact continued inside the box!

Therefore it was not a free kick. I saw the replay about three or four times. Yes contact outside, but importantly ALSO contact inside the box. He didn't simply fall into the box.

I am not entirely sure...but based on what I read above and what I saw.] That is a penalty. Did they think there was no contact inside the box?

In fact if a player tugs a players shirt outside the box and continues to do so inside the box, it becomes a penalty. For example Troost Ekongs lengthy shirt tug would have been a penalty if it was at the edge of the box.
Thought so too...

I mean, at least the punishment should be commensurate to the offense.

Moffi had a more than 50% chance of scoring, only for Nigeria to be reduced to a less than 50% chance with the free kick. The Nigerian in me felt this was injustice. :mrgreen:

Overall I felt the Referee did very well.
Last edited by 2think on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Tbite wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:42 am I think the var actually made one mistake. The challenge on Terem Moffi should have been a penalty not a free kick.

I am not entirely sure...but based on what I read above and what I saw. That is a penalty. Did they think there was no contact inside the box?

I'VE DISAGREED WITH CALLS, BUT...

...I have to accept them after the ref has viewed the VAR - obviously they know the rules better and I'm sure their calls are subject to review. So they have every incentive to make the right calls.
Bell
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

vAR has improved Afcon. We all remember how bad it used to be.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

I am suprised that no one is talking about that. That should have at least been a yellow and free kick.
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

:evil: :twisted:
Remember the CAF president is a South African billionaire called Dr. Motsepe !! :atc:
We thank God for the VAR in the present times bcos ojoro reductions has been a thing in vogue
This gives me confidence in playing CIV in the finals in front of their home fans !!
========================================
Chance favors da prepared mind. ALWAYS !!