Eguavoen, Siasia, Finidi, Amunike or Salisu

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Eguavoen, Siasia, Finidi, Amunike or Salisu

Post by danfo driver »

Such a disgusting thread. What is it with Nigerians and eating their vomit? Obasanjo, Buhari, Tinubu, etc etc.. dont y'all get tired of eating the same rubbish you ate in the past?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:03 am
aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:34 am
Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:24 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:19 am Which one do you want? Take your pick now so we can win the next Afcon.
Emir

There is nothing wrong with Peseiro. For me, Nigeria should keep him. He just has to get rid of players not able to give 110.
His tactics cost us. He needs to go or we will watch the world cup at home
But you want him to use the tactics that saw us lose to CAR and others? Really. His tactics that took us to AFCON final when we did not contemplate such! Yet, you want him replaced because somehow we would have win today using tactics that severally failed us even at home against mighty CAR? Please explain. Really.....
You can choose not to get it - it is up to you. I'm happy with AFCON silver even if I'm unhappy with the tactics. However, we are behind in a world cup group and we have a manager who has settled into an ultra defensive formation which he doesn't adapt (he played it against Guinea Bissau). We need to beat South Africa. Do you see Peserio making the right tactical changes to win the game?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:17 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:19 am Which one do you want? Take your pick now so we can win the next Afcon.
Emir

There is nothing wrong with Peseiro. For me, Nigeria should keep him. He just has to get rid of players not able to give 110.
But you want him to use the tactics that saw us lose to CAR and others? Really. His tactics that took us to AFCON final when we did not contemplate such! Yet, you want him replaced because somehow we would have win today using tactics that severally failed us even at home against mighty CAR? Please explain. Really.....
You can choose not to get it - it is up to you. I'm happy with AFCON silver even if I'm unhappy with the tactics. However, we are behind in a world cup group and we have a manager who has settled into an ultra defensive formation which he doesn't adapt (he played it against Guinea Bissau). We need to beat South Africa. Do you see Peserio making the right tactical changes to win the game?
He has actually shown the adaptability that you claim he is unable to show. May I remind you that 3-4-3 was only used at this AFCON. Are you not aware of it and why Nigeria used it? Well, let me remind you that he did and it led to a surprising appearance at the final game. In the final game his team was there even when his players were asleep, it was largely the formation that kept Nigeria barely alive until the 80th minute. After that, trailing required a change in formation and that was indeed employed but the team ran out of time. Please review the video.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Emir

Tournament football and WCQ are 2 entirely different things which require different approaches.

343 may work for a while in a tournament, but it will be A DISASTER in WCQ .

Aruako is right. Teams will sit back against us and with this nonsense we are playing, there will be many draws. We will not qualify. We are already 4 point behind where we should be. We cannot fall behind any more.

This nonsense 343 is so toothless. If Peseiro cannot play the same attacking football which saw us create 4 clear chances vs Equatorial Guinea, then he should leave.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Emir

You are seeing things very clearly. Like I said earlier.

But are you confident we would hire the correct manager, with the correct approach, who would have time to implement his system effectively.

I am not.

It's a dicey situation because Peseiro is STUBBORN.

As you said he PARKED THE BUS AGAINST GUINEA BISSAU FOR FECKS SAKE.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:25 am
Emir

He has actually shown the adaptability that you claim he is unable to show. May I remind you that 3-4-3 was only used at this AFCON. Are you not aware of it and why Nigeria used it? Well, let me remind you that he did and it led to a surprising appearance at the final game. In the final game his team was there even when his players were asleep, it was largely the formation that kept Nigeria barely alive until the 80th minute. After that, trailing required a change in formation and that was indeed employed but the team ran out of time. Please review the video.
With 3-4-3, 4-4-2 or 4-4-3 he has not shown the ability to coordinate a decent attacking performance against a team that is not named Sao Tome. How is that acceptable with the embarrassment of attackers we have? Did we need 3-4-3 against Guinea Bissau? Was 1 shot on goal (from a corner) acceptable against Ivory Coast in our first final in 11 years? Did he attempt to address our midfield issues in the numerous friendlies we played?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Aruako

The team played very well vs Equatorial Guinea.

That was the only match we played 433.

Our xgoals was 3.8 to .3

That was our best match BY FAR.

If Osimehn did his job maybe Peseiro would have stuck with that formation and not turned into a COWARD.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:35 am
Emir

You are seeing things very clearly. Like I said earlier.

But are you confident we would hire the correct manager, with the correct approach, who would have time to implement his system effectively.

I am not.

It's a dicey situation because Peseiro is STUBBORN.

As you said he PARKED THE BUS AGAINST GUINEA BISSAU FOR FECKS SAKE.
We just need a coach that will realise that we need to attack to make up the deficit. If we don't even want a local coach, how about Angola's coach (Pitso Mosimane won't agree to coach Nigeria against SA in the WCQ)? I don't think he would have lost this final if the Angola coach (heck the Mauritania coach) was in our dugout. We don't need Pep or Klopp.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:42 am Aruako

The team played very well vs Equatorial Guinea.

That was the only match we played 433.

Our xgoals was 3.8 to .3

That was our best match BY FAR.

If Osimehn did his job maybe Peseiro would have stuck with that formation and not turned into a COWARD.
We played well against Equatorial Guinea and had good chances - I agree. Osimhen could have converted that chance to score the second goal - again I agree. BUT we were still not as effective as we should have been.

Even if I'm working about Equatorial Guinea, how about his other games against teams nit named Sao Tome?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:39 am
Emir

With 3-4-3, 4-4-2 or 4-4-3 he has not shown the ability to coordinate a decent attacking performance against a team that is not named Sao Tome. How is that acceptable with the embarrassment of attackers we have? Did we need 3-4-3 against Guinea Bissau? Was 1 shot on goal (from a corner) acceptable against Ivory Coast in our first final in 11 years? Did he attempt to address our midfield issues in the numerous friendlies we played?
Aruako

Well, that is precisely why he switched to 3-4-3 which appeared to shore up our defense and limited opponent's opportunities until today. Today, as I noted already, the players were very lethargic and it made a difference. Too many times, Nigeria was late arriving at a challenge against a team playing a fever-pitch. In such situation, the result may have been worse having two attackers given how much more easily the Ivoreins would have run our defense ragged.

As I look back at this game, I strongly believe the players just were not psychologically ready. Just look at their lateness to balls. Bros, it seemed they failed to get the memo that this was actually the big game. May be like what was taking place on CE, the players were already discussing who will receive the trophy, etc without first doing the dirty work. Just maybe and they were shocked by the intensity that the Ivoreins brought.

No damn formation would have dealt with that. I guarantee you, you needed maximum effort and it was not there.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

They were burnt out because Peseiro did not trust the quality of the bench.

For good reason.

But he picked the bench, so ultimately he is at fault.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:56 am

Emir

Aruako

Well, that is precisely why he switched to 3-4-3 which appeared to shore up our defense and limited opponent's opportunities until today. Today, as I noted already, the players were very lethargic and it made a difference. Too many times, Nigeria was late arriving at a challenge against a team playing a fever-pitch. In such situation, the result may have been worse having two attackers given how much more easily the Ivoreins would have run our defense ragged.

As I look back at this game, I strongly believe the players just were not psychologically ready. Just look at their lateness to balls. Bros, it seemed they failed to get the memo that this was actually the big game. May be like what was taking place on CE, the players were already discussing who will receive the trophy, etc without first doing the dirty work. Just maybe and they were shocked by the intensity that the Ivoreins brought.

No damn formation would have dealt with that. I guarantee you, you needed maximum effort and it was not there.
Nope. It wasn't about lethargy. Peseiro is not capable of organising an attacking team (if he is not playing against Sao Tome). And even if I agree with you about lethargy (I don't) was that not a result if poor squad management? He got the AFCON final, but then Domenech took France to the 2006 WC final and we know how that ended
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Emir

Aruako

Whos fault is that?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:11 am

Aruako

Nope. It wasn't about lethargy. Peseiro is not capable of organising an attacking team (if he is not playing against Sao Tome). And even if I agree with you about lethargy (I don't) was that not a result if poor squad management? He got the AFCON final, but then Domenech took France to the 2006 WC final and we know how that ended
Lethargy is not always about coaching. If it is, why do we see Osimhen bring it always and others don't?

Aruako, look all of us are disappointed by the resilt but that disappoint will dissipate soon. This team over achieved and much of that is due to astute strategic change in-tournament by the manager. Think where we were under late-era Rohr and then very early under Peseiro. It was a dark dark place. At this tournament, Nigeria recovered its MOJO. Peseiro had a role in that. That should never be forgotten.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:17 am

Aruako

Whos fault is that?
The manager does not control the psychological state of players. Teams have psychologists because they precisely understand that. Even psychologists cannot control in its entirely human psychology. They are not gods.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:17 am

Aruako

Lethargy is not always about coaching. If it is, why do we see Osimhen bring it always and others don't?

Aruako, look all of us are disappointed by the resilt but that disappoint will dissipate soon. This team over achieved and much of that is due to astute strategic change in-tournament by the manager. Think where we were under late-era Rohr and then very early under Peseiro. It was a dark dark place. At this tournament, Nigeria recovered its MOJO. Peseiro had a role in that. That should never be forgotten.
You don't get it. I'm not dissapointed with the result. I didn't see us going past the semis. I'm very concerned that we will not make the WC given Peserio's coaching

In contrast, 2 years ago I was dissapointed with our exit but I was confident that we would beat Ghana to get to Qatar.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

@Enugu II, so the team collectively had a poor psychological state ?
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

kash n' karry wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:40 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:33 am
Emir

But haters think Siasia can win the WC even though he hasn't had a job in 5yrs. Let them hire Siasia naw.
:evil: :twisted:
Kongi stay off that smoke pipes ... Sia 1 took us to the finals of the Junior WC as well as the finals of the Olympics !!
Those accomplishments are not by accident Ooo !! :taunt: :taunt:
You want to replace a coach who lost an AFCON final with one that lost 2 finals (junior WC & Olympics). Ok o!
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

packerland wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:35 am
kash n' karry wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:40 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:33 am
Emir

But haters think Siasia can win the WC even though he hasn't had a job in 5yrs. Let them hire Siasia naw.
:evil: :twisted:
Kongi stay off that smoke pipes ... Sia 1 took us to the finals of the Junior WC as well as the finals of the Olympics !!
Those accomplishments are not by accident Ooo !! :taunt: :taunt:
You want to replace a coach who lost an AFCON final with one that lost 2 finals (junior WC & Olympics). Ok o!
Siasia didnt know how many points his team needed in order to qualify for WC.
Time to try others. Not sure why Kanu, Mikel etc are not into coaching.
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:07 am They were burnt out because Peseiro did not trust the quality of the bench.

For good reason.

But he picked the bench, so ultimately he is at fault.
I did said all this earlier in this forum !
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:24 am

Aruako

You don't get it. I'm not dissapointed with the result. I didn't see us going past the semis. I'm very concerned that we will not make the WC given Peserio's coaching

In contrast, 2 years ago I was dissapointed with our exit but I was confident that we would beat Ghana to get to Qatar.
Aruako

I had that concern but not after this AFCON. I think we finally solved a HUGE problem and that is conceding repeatedly to decidedly poorer teams and at home. That appears to have been solved at this tournament with an important strategic and personnel change. Unfortunately, we are not leading our World Cup group but I feel more confident than how I felt pre-AFCON.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:10 am
aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:24 am

Aruako

Aruako

I had that concern but not after this AFCON. I think we finally solved a HUGE problem and that is conceding repeatedly to decidedly poorer teams and at home. That appears to have been solved at this tournament with an important strategic and personnel change. Unfortunately, we are not leading our World Cup group but I feel more confident than how I felt pre-AFCON.
It is not just about not conceding goals - we have to score. We won't beat any low block with Peseiro in charge. SA will sit back successfully and hit us on the break in June.
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

highbury wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:46 am Whoever wants us to perpetually have a foreign coach hate Nigeria. They hate us. They hate the Nigerian people and think of Nigerians as inferior.
:agree:
110%
Its a crime against Nigeria bringing any foreign coach in this day and age.
What part of there is no foreign coach thathas won a World Cup for any country dont we understand?

Is this Ivorian Coach not enough knowledge that a foreigner can not lead you to ya Papa house in the Village?