Ivory Coast Shouldn't have Won!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Penarity
Egg
Egg
Ivory Coast Shouldn't have Won!

Post by Penarity »

How could a country that lost a game by four goals to nothing end up claiming to be the best in the continent? How could a country that LOST two of three matches still end up lifting the trophy? I don't think the point system makes any point or any sense, to be honest. The idea of giving third placed teams a chance to progress is just stupid. How would Equitorial Guinea feel about this Ivorien team lifting the trophy? It just does not add up!
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: Ivory Coast Shouldn't have Won!

Post by Rawlings »

Massa, challenge the rules before the tournament, not after.

BTW, why Naija take lead when u have no light. How do u see?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

they played to win.

We played coward football.

they got better as the tournament progressed, we got worse.

Its how you finish, not how you start.

They deservedly won
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

It is very difficult to beat a team twice in a tournament especially in a final.
Factor in that it was a team that was reinforced by key players like Haller and Adingra.
A host team.
With a new home coach.
A team that went through fire and came out stronger to reach the final, while their opponents Naija sailed through easily.
A team that won their previous games by sheer luck. :shock:

Also, Nigeria celebrated the semifinal as if they had won the real tournament and it showed on the pitch.

So many indicators pointed to Nigeria losing the final.

Paseiro and the boys surpassed their goal of playing a semifinal. :thumbs:

So please give credit where it is due. CIV won squarely and fairly (though Malians might disagree).
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

To be honest it is funny losing 2ce and winning the cup, it shows mockery of the tournament
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Teams that lose early in a tournament and recover to qualify, find a character which, if they harness correctly, takes them all the way to winning the Cup. Argentina lost to Saudi Arabia in Qatar. Teams that win matches right through, once they get to the final and go a goal down struggle to find it within themselves to recover. Samson Siasia's Olympics team in Beijing was a strong case in point.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Goldleaf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:52 am Teams that lose early in a tournament and recover to qualify, find a character which, if they harness correctly, takes them all the way to winning the Cup. Argentina lost to Saudi Arabia in Qatar. Teams that win matches right through, once they get to the final and go a goal down struggle to find it within themselves to recover. Samson Siasia's Olympics team in Beijing was a strong case in point.
CIV had 2 loses and a negative of 3 GD.... This is a one-off
SuperEagles

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

They thoroughly deserved their win.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

airwolex wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:16 am They thoroughly deserved their win.
I think most of you arr missing his point.

He is not saying they didn't earn the win. He is saying why should such a lowly team from the group have been allowed to qualify for the next round.

The third place best sides is what he is questioning. It is sort of peculiar.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Tbite wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:31 am

He is not saying they didn't earn the win. He is saying why should such a lowly team from the group have been allowed to qualify for the next round.

Well Senegal, Mali or Nigeria should have beaten them.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

expect such in the next world-cup. 3rd placed teams will now advance. 2 goals scored in the group stages, 5 goals conceded and they are the new AFCON champs..oh boy 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 this is some funny ish
SuperEagles

Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:47 am To be honest it is funny losing 2ce and winning the cup, it shows mockery of the tournament
BigP, you got the exact point I was trying to make. It makes no sense at all.
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

Thank you, Tbite. The whole notion of losing twice and yet winning the trophy to called the best on the continent makes no sense!
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Penarity wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:07 am How could a country that lost a game by four goals to nothing end up claiming to be the best in the continent? How could a country that LOST two of three matches still end up lifting the trophy? I don't think the point system makes any point or any sense, to be honest. The idea of giving third placed teams a chance to progress is just stupid. How would Equitorial Guinea feel about this Ivorien team lifting the trophy? It just does not add up!
Coaching.
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

They thoroughly deserved their win. Give credit where it is due.

You win some, you lose some. It is what it is.
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

airwolex wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:41 am

Well Senegal, Mali or Nigeria should have beaten them.
Kpom.

When they defeated Senegal though (easily the best team of the first round) I knew they were destined to win this thing.

Then the last minute miracle against Mali with 10 men. That just confirmed it.

It was written in the heavens before anybody set foot for pitch in CIV.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Sometimes you need to be smacked down to get back up stronger. Had we conceded first yesterday, our play would have been different and probably the result. After we scored, there was an aura of confidence and cruising we were in. I kept asking myself, why are we allowing the opposition so many touches in our 18 yrd box especially in zone 17 (18 yrd box minus 6 yrd box) where most goals come from in football. Felt very uncomfortable and cost us in a big way in the end. They packed the midfield, leading up to their second goal, they actually had 5 players on every one of our back 5 like an inverted 5-3-2, inviting that type of pressure will cost you especially from crosses.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

felarey wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:43 pm Sometimes you need to be smacked down to get back up stronger. Had we conceded first yesterday, our play would have been different as well as the result. After we scored, there was an aura of confidence and cruising we were in. I kept asking myself, why are we allowing the opposition so many touches in our 18 yrd box especially in zone 17 (18 yrd box minus 6 yrd box) where most goals come from in football. Felt very uncomfortable and cost us in a big way in the end. They packed the midfield, leading up to their second goal, they actually had 5 players on every one of our back 5 like an inverted 5-3-2, inviting that type of pressure will cost you especially from crosses.
How would our play have been different? We were dead tired by half time, body no be firewood, we wouldn’t have been able to do ish if they scored first. In fact they might have routed us if that happened.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:01 pm
felarey wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:43 pm Sometimes you need to be smacked down to get back up stronger. Had we conceded first yesterday, our play would have been different as well as the result. After we scored, there was an aura of confidence and cruising we were in. I kept asking myself, why are we allowing the opposition so many touches in our 18 yrd box especially in zone 17 (18 yrd box minus 6 yrd box) where most goals come from in football. Felt very uncomfortable and cost us in a big way in the end. They packed the midfield, leading up to their second goal, they actually had 5 players on every one of our back 5 like an inverted 5-3-2, inviting that type of pressure will cost you especially from crosses.
How would our play have been different? We were dead tired by half time, body no be firewood, we wouldn’t have been able to do ish if they scored first. In fact they might have routed us if that happened.
WE were burnt out during the SA game, even our forwards stopped pressing, Our Osimhen was over worked, no one can press like that playing 2 games per week like that. The coach is to blame here
SuperEagles

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

People still believe the bench isn't important.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

You might have a point. Haller, Adingra, Kessie, our main tormentors, were all well rested. I guess it was meant to be.

Going forward Awoniyi is vital to Nigeria. He is the only forward that can mirror what Osimhen does.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

airwolex wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:11 pm
You might have a point. Haller, Adingra, Kessie, our main tormentors, were all well rested. I guess it was meant to be.

Going forward Awoniyi is vital to Nigeria. He is the only forward that can mirror what Osimhen does.
injuries punnished us, Boiface, Awo, Ndidi, etc .. they would have been capable bodies as well
SuperEagles