Ivory Coast Shouldn't have Won!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ivory Coast Shouldn't have Won!

Post by maceo4 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:06 pm
maceo4 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:01 pm
felarey wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:43 pm Sometimes you need to be smacked down to get back up stronger. Had we conceded first yesterday, our play would have been different as well as the result. After we scored, there was an aura of confidence and cruising we were in. I kept asking myself, why are we allowing the opposition so many touches in our 18 yrd box especially in zone 17 (18 yrd box minus 6 yrd box) where most goals come from in football. Felt very uncomfortable and cost us in a big way in the end. They packed the midfield, leading up to their second goal, they actually had 5 players on every one of our back 5 like an inverted 5-3-2, inviting that type of pressure will cost you especially from crosses.
How would our play have been different? We were dead tired by half time, body no be firewood, we wouldn’t have been able to do ish if they scored first. In fact they might have routed us if that happened.
WE were burnt out during the SA game, even our forwards stopped pressing, Our Osimhen was over worked, no one can press like that playing 2 games per week like that. The coach is to blame here
Certain things are so obvious you wonder why no one is talking about it until casala burst…Like these are human beings, other teams know to rest their players sub them and use their full array of players available to them so that they don’t gas out their team…Imagine if Vic got at least 15-20 minutes rest per game how much of a difference that would make after 6 games. Thats literally a full game plus of his legs that would have been saved and extra gas in his tank for the final…These things are so basic it’s mind boggling the coach couldn’t see it…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

airwolex wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:11 pm
felarey wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:43 pm Sometimes you need to be smacked down to get back up stronger. Had we conceded first yesterday, our play would have been different as well as the result. After we scored, there was an aura of confidence and cruising we were in. I kept asking myself, why are we allowing the opposition so many touches in our 18 yrd box especially in zone 17 (18 yrd box minus 6 yrd box) where most goals come from in football. Felt very uncomfortable and cost us in a big way in the end. They packed the midfield, leading up to their second goal, they actually had 5 players on every one of our back 5 like an inverted 5-3-2, inviting that type of pressure will cost you especially from crosses.
How would our play have been different? We were dead tired by half time, body no be firewood, we wouldn’t have been able to do ish if they scored first. In fact they might have routed us if that happened.
You might have a point. Haller, Adingra, Kessie, our main tormentors, were all well rested. I guess it was meant to be.

Going forward Awoniyi is vital to Nigeria. He is the only forward that can mirror what Osimhen does.
Is that the only strategy we have? So if Vic is out injured we are fooked? That’s part of the problem, being so damn rigid in our approach that we have only one strategy that depends heavily on certain players to the point they can’t be given a break else it falls apart. You can’t win a tournament that way…not a deep one of 7 games in the span of a few weeks…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:19 pm
You might have a point. Haller, Adingra, Kessie, our main tormentors, were all well rested. I guess it was meant to be.

Going forward Awoniyi is vital to Nigeria. He is the only forward that can mirror what Osimhen does.
Is that the only strategy we have? So if Vic is out injured we are fooked? That’s part of the problem, being so damn rigid in our approach that we have only one strategy that depends heavily on certain players to the point they can’t be given a break else it falls apart. You can’t win a tournament that way…not a deep one of 7 games in the span of a few weeks…
I said that earlier.

If we have to rely on Vic and his monster pressing to win games then we are in trouble.

It's like Peseiro had one strategy.

Park bus and make Osimehn press am.

Horrible. That's literally what we did.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Maybe they were tired but they played a formation that was more mentally and physically demanding. Constantly running back and forth, keeping a line, having to concentrate for longer periods etc. I would think professional players could handle this sort of stress. Conceding first would mean we don't seat back and have to go for a goal. We scored from our first shot on goal and it seemed our tactics were perfect so we continued to cede the ground and ball to them. They were the ones laboring. At 1-1 we were saddled with the liability of going for it without losing our shape especially at the back. Zaidu and Aina needed to get forward and kept on paying for it, so we leaned more conservative. By the time they scored the 2nd, Paseiro thought, oh gee, I'm gonna need to really change tactics and these guys are tired mentally and physically, he threw guys on the pitch and they never could get going, ball bouncing all over the place, last 15 mins was terrible to watch.

So if we had conceded first, they'll still be fresher and not jaded, and probably more successful in taking the game to CIV (ala our first goal).
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

You beat me to it. We also need other ways of winning games other than Vic's insane pressing. It obviously isn't sustainable. I really thought he could keep it up but he was obviously gassed. So was Iwobi btw
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Some of you guys are salty. Ivory Coast beat us fair and square. If you want to blame someone then blame Ghana that let them in with useless defending, substitution and boneheaded play by their GK, and the other countries that couldn’t get more than 2pts after three games. I most tournaments, a team with that GD & GA usually don’t progress to the next round. What made it worst was it happened in an expanded tournament.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

I won't lie, I am still pained by this loss.
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

When was the last time Ghana won AFCON?
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Mr. Piffington wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:45 pm When was the last time Ghana won AFCON?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

you should ask them how they won in 1963 and 1965. They played just 3 matches. They are unable to run deep in AFCON due to having no skill set or experiences in playing 7 games. Since AFCON increased the countries in it, Ghana has always struggled. they used to win AFCON when only 6 teams took part

I retired from yabbing Ghana, started even spelling them with Cap G, now they want me to go back to my old ways. A word is enough for a short kumasi man
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:29 pm
Mr. Piffington wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:45 pm When was the last time Ghana won AFCON?

you should ask them how they won in 1963 and 1965. They played just 3 matches. They are unable to run deep in AFCON due to having no skill set or experiences in playing 7 games. Since AFCON increased the countries in it, Ghana has always struggled. they used to win AFCON when only 6 teams took part

I retired from yabbing Ghana, starting even spelling them with Cap G, now they want be to go back to my old ways. A word is enough for a short being
Wow did they really play 3 games? Lmao :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

airwolex wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:34 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:29 pm

I retired from yabbing Ghana, starting even spelling them with Cap G, now they want be to go back to my old ways. A word is enough for a short being
Wow did they really play 3 games? Lmao :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_Afri ... of_Nations
this is how Ghana won AFCON in 1963

24 November 1963
Ghana 1–1 Tunisia
26 November 1963
Ghana 2–0 Ethiopia
1 December 1963
Ghana 3–0 Sudan
12 November 1965
Ghana 5–2 Congo-Léopoldville
19 November 1965
Ghana 4–1 Ivory Coast
21 November 1965
Ghana 3–2 (a.e.t.) Tunisia
A 9 day tournament
SuperEagles

OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

The painful fact is the NFF, fans, and players know it. Evidently so. Peserio didn't.

At WC 94, Nigeria lost Amokachi, and Amunike due to deliberate Italian injuries in that second round loss. They had properly analyzed our squad, and keys to success. Then Nigerian coach Westerhoff improperly assessed the situation, mismanaged the substitutions, and left Yekini alone upfront.

Rohr in WC 2018, again against Argentina failed to use the bench to stop or delay the Argentinian momentum. He had subs.

Peserio in AFCON 2023, summarily, failed to use the bench to stop, delay or reverse the Ivorian momentum. He had subs.

Again, the NFF, players, and fans have this wealth of institutional, and collective memory, but all these journeymen coaches are basically offered a high level internship at the expense of our glory, pride, happiness and joy. Learning lessons we fundamentally grasp!!!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you see one of the recurring patterns? Nigeria takes the lead, gets comfortable with a 1 goal lead in a must win match. This is not the group stages anymore. Coaches mismanage the lead under multiple false assumptions. The opposing team has not been a high scoring team. They have not scored in 50 ~~70 min. They can't score that many goals against my team to tie, and win. Blah, blah, blah. Generalized fuckery.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Penarity wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:07 am How could a country that lost a game by four goals to nothing end up claiming to be the best in the continent? How could a country that LOST two of three matches still end up lifting the trophy? I don't think the point system makes any point or any sense, to be honest. The idea of giving third placed teams a chance to progress is just stupid. How would Equitorial Guinea feel about this Ivorien team lifting the trophy? It just does not add up!
Penny, it is not by voting o.

That is the beauty of sports. They EARNED the cup.

In the final game, they dominated us in EVERY single statistical category including the scoreline.

I am hoping that the coaching staff especially the stubborn head coach learned something. We have started raising alarm over the World Cup Qualifiers... he just can't play "Park the Bus" in World Cup qualification where as it stands now, we need to win all our remaining games.

But wetin we know. :(
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

wait oooo :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: wetin be all this torey wey dey all over say CIV use juju win AFOCN...dem say their goalie tied something for him waist :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Tifco and other Ghananese people on the Internet have NEVER witnessed Ghana lift the AFCON.
They have to read about it in history books.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

Is this thread Nigeria related
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:20 am they played to win.

We played coward football.

they got better as the tournament progressed, we got worse.

Its how you finish, not how you start.

They deservedly won.
They certainly got better like every team in the tournament because same can be said of us, I think. However, we defeated ourself.

After taking the lead, we did nothing to control the midfield, or give CIV something to worry about. As the game progressed, I wondered how long we were going to defend without conceding, so I became very worried.

When CIV equalized and we made no adjustment, I knew we will lose the game. Thus, I won't say CIV got better and we didn't; rather, I will say our gameplan was too SOFT to get us the Cup
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.