Alex Iwobi to retire from the SE?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

BAP
Egg
Egg
Re: Alex Iwobi to retire from the SE?

Post by BAP »

Did he actually say he was retiring or are people reading into his social media activities more than they should . Dude may just be taking a social media break

In any case its not uncommon for players to indicate their retirement after a tournament disappointment only to come back to the fold .

I recall Oliseh and Ikpeba retiring after the 98 wc exit only to come back shortly thereafter with Oliseh as CaptaIn .

The one person I am afraid may announce his retirement though is WTE. He may choose to go out on a high rather than risk being embarrassed in the future due to his age
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Did he actually say he was retiring or are people reading into his social media activities more than they should . Dude may just be taking a social media break

In any case its not uncommon for players to indicate their retirement after a tournament disappointment only to come back to the fold .

I recall Oliseh and Ikpeba retiring after the 98 wc exit only to come back shortly thereafter with Oliseh as CaptaIn .

The one person I am afraid may announce his retirement though is WTE. He may choose to go out on a high rather than risk being embarrassed in the future due to his age
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

BAP wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:45 pm Did he actually say he was retiring or are people reading into his social media activities more than they should . Dude may just be taking a social media break

I think even Messi briefly retired after one of those tough Copa America losses.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

packerland wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:02 am
BAP wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:45 pm Did he actually say he was retiring or are people reading into his social media activities more than they should . Dude may just be taking a social media break

I think even Messi briefly retired after one of those tough Copa America losses.

I guess that is what annoys me with some of these fans. They possess abysmally low emotional intelligence. If they could beg, borrow, or steal some EQ, then they would have found the emotional understanding, empathy and self-awareness to realize that if they feel so devastated by the loss, the players on the field sweating and giving their all, are probably feeling even more devastated and completely sapped. And not just emotionally like the fans watching, but also physically and mentally. To then add to the emotional torment of the players is about as cretinous as one can get in a lifetime.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:30 pm Image
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Our future captain.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

I am truly conflicted by Alex Iwobi's reaction to trolls.
I guess he is more sensitive than I would have thought. Did he score an own goal? Miss a last-minute PK? Open net?
These kids that seek validation from total strangers... I just don't get it.
He played for freaking Arsenal for goodness sake with their toxic fans.
Played for Everton where they were booing him and calling him names until Super Frankie resurrected his career.
I understand players are people too. But you have to have more steel than this to be affected by what people who don't matter say about you. Your teammates appreciate you. Most fans appreciate you. But na the stupid and worthless people go affect you more than the people that matter? I just don't get it.

You lost a game where you all left everything on the field. Stay off social media. Take a break. Spend time with your loved ones. Even stay off your phone.

You repped us to the best of your ability. I for one am grateful for the sacrifices each and every one of you have made.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:04 am I am truly conflicted by Alex Iwobi's reaction to trolls.
Major understatement. Thats why I have said nothing about it. Everyone knows my position about players being mentally weak, but I am also disgusted that people will go to him and attack him - especially for a player who sacrificed all tournament playing in a position that is not glorious.

P.s-- We all saw what the English did to Saka. Racially abused him and called for his blood. He never threatened to retire. I also watched the David Beckham documentary and saw how the English almost finished him. It was absolutely worse than anything anyone can ever imagine.

Anyway . . .
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:23 am
Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:04 am I am truly conflicted by Alex Iwobi's reaction to trolls.
Major understatement. Thats why I have said nothing about it. Everyone knows my position about players being mentally weak, but I am also disgusted that people will go to him and attack him - especially for a player who sacrificed all tournament playing in a position that is not glorious.

P.s-- We all saw what the English did to Saka. Racially abused him and called for his blood. He never threatened to retire. I also watched the David Beckham documentary and saw how the English almost finished him. It was absolutely worse than anything anyone can ever imagine.

Anyway . . .
Bro, I am with you on this. Just can't quite understand both parties.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:27 am

Anyway . . .
To be fair he hasn't actually retired. Maybe the frustration of the result PLUS the abuse git him telling a few confidants that he had had enough. Heads will cool in the next few days
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

aruako1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:42 am

Anyway . . .
To be fair he hasn't actually retired. Maybe the frustration of the result PLUS the abuse git him telling a few confidants that he had had enough. Heads will cool in the next few days
I hope so.

One of the attributes of being a professional athlete is one's strong mental strength. It takes a lot but it is what makes them different from us regular joes.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:55 am

Anyway . . .
I hope so.

One of the attributes of being a professional athlete is one's strong mental strength. It takes a lot but it is what makes them different from us regular joes.
Chief you have said it all, see Araoko, instead of telling Alex to put on his big boy pants and show up to the next one, he’s all sentimental, can’t deal with that guy mien :D
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

felarey wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:26 am

Anyway . . .
I hope so.

Chief you have said it all, see Araoko, instead of telling Alex to put on his big boy pants and show up to the next one, he’s all sentimental, can’t deal with that guy mien :D
You are old enough to understand that this is a forum where people can have different opinions right? Let us happily agree to disagree.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Why should Alex Iwobi be bothered by comments from a bunch of losers who have never even kicked a real football❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:53 pm
felarey wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:48 pm
aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:39 pm
felarey wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:26 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:15 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:57 pm this is the loser who attacked Iwobi
https://www.instagram.com/p/C3QTpFAtwlf/
https://www.instagram.com/scott_iguma/?hl=en
Bigpokey,

Who the heck is that guy? Perhaps, he does not understand football. Alex has given his sweat and blood for Nigerian colors and has done so for a long period. Look , I am not against fans sharing their opinions about players but those who fail to understand the game can really be nauseating. What exactly does this guy want Alex to do given Alex's role on the team?
The guy has a right to be an angel*, he’s a fan not part of the team or anyone of significance. Peeps do that here all the time. It’s Iwobi we need to be concerned about. He’s entitled to control comments on his posts like everyone but to give up a international career bcos of this, naaayy!
But these players are not robots, they are human. They can't always be these perfect humans we want them to be from the day they sign a contract. We don't know what was said to him on those posts.
Come on now! What has he heard that he's not heard from Everton fans? Or even Assanal fans?? Nobody can kick him harder than himself. Does one fan or a few fans constitute Nigerian fans?? See the yeye guy, a fan living the privilege like you and I. Probaby sucking on pure water sachets after a bout of ofada rice and kunu. A nonentity being made a legend in his own right.
Maybe it hurts more because the SE means more to him.
Good point. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Anyway . . .
Stop this “mentally weak” BS.
Many of you use it flippantly as if we are talking about weak limbs.
It’s so old school and why so many men - especially black men - do not seek help until it is too late.

A man that decides to cut off an aspect of his life that is a pain in his backside is not “weak”. A person that decides to cut off members of their family due to disrespect or whatever is not “weak”. Iwobi has more to lose than gain by quitting the SE now, but if he does, he’s telling you it’s no freaking biggie to him. That’s not mental “weakness”.

Do you know what Saka you mentioned earlier went thru after his saga and what help he received? No.
David Beckham you mention actually went into depression and sought help. Depression is not a “weakness”. That is so old school, and today, so ignorant. It’s as old school and ignorant as believing beating a mouthy or pretty wife is a sign of ‘strength’.

Iwobi will be fine. Like many have said, it comes with the territory. He gets it.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

He now thinks he’s getting bullied.
Una say I cyber bully person and una come my page come dey bully me as well. We are all now guilty.”

He better shape up before Nigerians just cancel him.
Naija social media power no be beans o. He should go and ask Naira Marley.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Iwobi's wounded expression says it all.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:25 am
He now thinks he’s getting bullied.
Una say I cyber bully person and una come my page come dey bully me as well. We are all now guilty.”

He better shape up before Nigerians just cancel him.
Naija social media power no be beans o. He should go and ask Naira Marley.
Like most cowards, they can dish out but cannot take!
I am happy
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Anyway . . .
I hope so.

Iwobi is what 26, 27? I don't know your age, but I am very sure you are older and have more life experience compared to a 20 something year old man. As time goes on he will learn how to ignore losers and trolls

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C14gD-To ... M1YmI2Ng==

This footballer took her life. Not everyone is built like you etc. Mental health is real
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:51 pm

Anyway . . .
I hope so.

Iwobi is what 26, 27? I don't know your age, but I am very sure you are older and have more life experience compared to a 20 something year old man. As time goes on he will learn how to ignore losers and trolls

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C14gD-To ... M1YmI2Ng==

This footballer took her life. Not everyone is built like you etc. Mental health is real
All because of a street urchin on the Internet? Gimme a break.... Iwobi is not a rookie footballer.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You can't be conflicted by his reaction unless you know what he reacted to. I am sure it's not just criticisms of his performance alone. What if it's death threats or threats of bodily harm like they did yo Okoye? Should he just have tough skin to those too? His reaction is not the problem, it's the sickos out there are the problem.
I guess he is more sensitive than I would have thought. Did he score an own goal? Miss a last-minute PK? Open net?
Played for Everton where they were booing him and calling him names until Super Frankie resurrected his career.
I understand players are people too. But you have to have more steel than this to be affected by what people who don't matter say about you. Your teammates appreciate you. Most fans appreciate you. But na the stupid and worthless people go affect you more than the people that matter? I just don't get it.

You lost a game where you all left everything on the field. Stay off social media. Take a break. Spend time with your loved ones. Even stay off your phone.

You repped us to the best of your ability. I for one am grateful for the sacrifices each and every one of you have made.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:54 pm You can't be conflicted by his reaction unless you know what he reacted to. I am sure it's not just criticisms of his performance alone. What if it's death threats or threats of bodily harm like they did yo Okoye? Should he just have tough skin to those too? His reaction is not the problem, it's the sickos out there are the problem.

He is a PROFESSIONAL athlete.

They are cut differently.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Same, similarly conflicted. But I suppose he may have got onto social media as a habit (maybe one worth breaking?) and expected to see positive comments. Not sure what his expectations are.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.