Alex Iwobi to retire from the SE?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Alex Iwobi to retire from the SE?

Post by Lolly »

airwolex wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:19 am
Orion wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:06 am I've not been able to bring myself to watch the game, I'm afraid, but can anyone explain why Iwobi was singled out for abuse when the whole team lost? I didn't see any reports of an own-goal, conceded penalty, or a red card.
They all played pretty poorly. Even top performers like Aina and Osimhen. Who knows why they decided to go for Alex. Even on my WhatsApp group which is for basketball, guys were going in on him.

There are a lot of casuals that only watch the important games and don't even understand he was played out of position.

People are surprised when I say based on pure stats, he is one of Nigerias best ever midfielders. He has 10 goals from 74 caps, Okocha has 14 from 74, Kanu has 12 from 86.
Nobody else even comes close and he is only 27.

I think the combination of him being a good looking guy, Okochas nephew and an init boy. Nigerians can be envious people, I mean look at some of messaging here pertaining to foreign based Eagles.
Watching the game live, Iwobi looked very sluggish and casual. He was mostly strolling around and being reactive once CIV are attacking. Too many times he was ball watching while the CIV midfielders moved into spaces behind him. I suspect he was fatigued and didn’t have anything left in the tank. And subbing him was the right decision.

But the worst performance on the pitch goes to Chukwueze. Everything was off for him. His touches, his passes, trying to shield the ball etc. He was shockingly poor.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Good point. Yet nobody is dragging Chukwueze. This is very disturbing indeed. The good news is that Nigerians bullied some of the bullies into silence. If this continues we might have more Maduka Okoye situations.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Orion wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:06 am I've not been able to bring myself to watch the game, I'm afraid, but can anyone explain why Iwobi was singled out for abuse when the whole team lost? I didn't see any reports of an own-goal, conceded penalty, or a red card.
I can't explain it either.
I got on CE and saw that he was being scapegoated. But I believe it was his reaction that made it seem that he was the only one being attacked.

Chukwueze was a BIG minus one. I wouldn't have brought him and Aina out for the second half. They were off a step.

I counted 4 players that had an off day at the office.

Chukwueze, Iwobi, Aina and somewhat Lookman (he wasn't his blazing best...in line to be considered MVP for the team).
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Lolly wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:51 am
airwolex wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:19 am
They all played pretty poorly. Even top performers like Aina and Osimhen. Who knows why they decided to go for Alex. Even on my WhatsApp group which is for basketball, guys were going in on him.

There are a lot of casuals that only watch the important games and don't even understand he was played out of position.

People are surprised when I say based on pure stats, he is one of Nigerias best ever midfielders. He has 10 goals from 74 caps, Okocha has 14 from 74, Kanu has 12 from 86.
Nobody else even comes close and he is only 27.

I think the combination of him being a good looking guy, Okochas nephew and an init boy. Nigerians can be envious people, I mean look at some of messaging here pertaining to foreign based Eagles.
Watching the game live, Iwobi looked very sluggish and casual. He was mostly strolling around and being reactive once CIV are attacking. Too many times he was ball watching while the CIV midfielders moved into spaces behind him. I suspect he was fatigued and didn’t have anything left in the tank. And subbing him was the right decision.

But the worst performance on the pitch goes to Chukwueze. Everything was off for him. His touches, his passes, trying to shield the ball etc. He was shockingly poor.
This is my comment on Iwobi during our VERY FIRST GAME!
Cellular wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:44 pm Iwobi can't even run anymore.
As if he was running all game.

See am as e dey watch im opponent
He never gave us the effort required of that position.

Against Cameroon he was the same way. He was ball-watching as people were zooming past him. I said as much during the game.

One of my issues with Peseiro and his coaching staff is that they will use players until they are on fumes.

Iwobi had shown in previous games that he wasn't adapting to the conditions.

He either should not be played in the position he was asked to play or be given limited minutes. They didn't do either. He should have been a sub 30-35 minutes tops.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

He left the CIV player that equalized alone for the free header. He was at fault for that, but it's a team sport.
Cellular wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:02 pm
I got on CE and saw that he was being scapegoated. But I believe it was his reaction that made it seem that he was the only one being attacked.

Chukwueze was a BIG minus one. I wouldn't have brought him and Aina out for the second half. They were off a step.

Chukwueze, Iwobi, Aina and somewhat Lookman (he wasn't his blazing best...in line to be considered MVP for the team).
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:51 pm He left the CIV player that equalized alone for the free header. He was at fault for that, but it's a team sport.
Cellular wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:02 pm

Okay, thanks.

Dude was wide open sha.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Was just reading this on Washington Post... https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ge-course/

Should athletes be taught how to maximize their interaction with the media?
...And sometimes it’s more on the nose, such as when Sanders himself visited class this month for a presentation about social media.

He arrived, as he usually does, trailed by cameras and members of his media team. He then explained why his personal security guard stood in the corner, wearing a tan cowboy hat and dark shades inside.

“We get death threats, so, you know, we have to bring security places,” Sanders said, laughing with the room. “I’m dead serious, too. I’m not lying.”
Should we have done more with the kind of diatribe VanCityEagle had when he wished death on Amodu or wished that Musa have a debilitating injury? Are we all enablers?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Cellular wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:51 pm Was just reading this on Washington Post... https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ge-course/

...And sometimes it’s more on the nose, such as when Sanders himself visited class this month for a presentation about social media.

He arrived, as he usually does, trailed by cameras and members of his media team. He then explained why his personal security guard stood in the corner, wearing a tan cowboy hat and dark shades inside.

“We get death threats, so, you know, we have to bring security places,” Sanders said, laughing with the room. “I’m dead serious, too. I’m not lying.”
Should we have done more with the kind of diatribe VanCityEagle had when he wished death on Amodu or wished that Musa have a debilitating injury? Are we all enablers?
Yes. Vancity behaves the way he does because he is allowed to. I've seen him on another forum. We have allowed this forum to become a place where people can display all the bad behaviour that they wouldn't display elsewhere.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

aruako1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:02 pm
Cellular wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:51 pm Was just reading this on Washington Post... https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ge-course/

Yes. Vancity behaves the way he does because he is allowed to. I've seen him on another forum. We have allowed this forum to become a place where people can display all the bad behaviour that they wouldn't display elsewhere.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Dammy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:24 am
I believe a lot was expected from him but he didn’t quite deliver. I’m surprised that Chukwueze has gone under the radar. He was the worst player in the AFCON final and I wonder if the online bullying is targeted at foreign born players rather than the ones raised at home?
Okoye was a victim of online bullying after the 2021 AFCON blunder that led to the elimination of the SE, while Uzoho with a worse blunder in the WCQ against Ghana in Abuja got off lightly
I don’t remember Uzoho getting off lightly in anyway. Let’s chill with our theories. The average Nigerian on these social media pages does not know Iwobi is foreign-born (technically he is foreign-raised but that’s a different discussion).
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

niyi wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:46 pm
I believe a lot was expected from him but he didn’t quite deliver. I’m surprised that Chukwueze has gone under the radar. He was the worst player in the AFCON final and I wonder if the online bullying is targeted at foreign born players rather than the ones raised at home?
Okoye was a victim of online bullying after the 2021 AFCON blunder that led to the elimination of the SE, while Uzoho with a worse blunder in the WCQ against Ghana in Abuja got off lightly
I don’t remember Uzoho getting off lightly in anyway. Let’s chill with our theories. The average Nigerian on these social media pages does not know Iwobi is foreign-born (technically he is foreign-raised but that’s a different discussion).
Niyi, are you in denial, or what?
Or maybe you weren’t paying attention so you genuinely aren’t aware.

Uzoho vs Okoye was a no contest after their first clutch of blunders. Comparatively, Uzoho got off lightly and it was very, very obvious.
If you are asking for empirical data, or abusive word count, then you won’t get it.
But any neutral observer that was paying attention would have seen it.

And I don’t know where you got the idea that Nigerians believe Iwobi is Nigerian-born. He oozes everything FB, and if not for people like Bigporkey who, to his credit, never fails to remind us, most people her would believe he was born and bred abroad.
There’s nothing ‘local born boy’ about Iwobi.
Nothing.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Damunk wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:09 pm

Uzoho vs Okoye was a no contest after their first clutch of blunders. Comparatively, Uzoho got off lightly and it was very, very obvious.
If you are asking for empirical data, or abusive word count, then you won’t get it.

And I don’t know where you got the idea that Nigerians believe Iwobi is Nigerian-born. He oozes everything FB, and if not for people like Bigporkey who, to his credit, never fails to remind us, most people her would believe he was born and bred abroad.
Nothing.
Why would i be in denial if I thought the theory being put forward was objective?

The AFCON really brings a lot of attention to Nigerian football and this attention increases as the team progresses further in the tournament. The set of fans gained during the AFCON are a different rabid breed emboldened by the anonymity social media offers. My recollection is that Okoye’s abuse was intense and short-lived but Uzoho’s criticism was continuous and that is worse to me.

I believe you are giving too much credit to the average social media fan’s knowledge of Naija footballers. Watch some of these street interviews and you will see the average person on the street in Nigeria cannot even recognize Iwobi or Chukwueze.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Gboye7777
Egg
Egg

Post by Gboye7777 »

felarey wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:06 pm Retire at 27 because of this??? If true, Alex needs to stop being a pussie.
No o! :ohmy: There is something quite discouraging about having someone you worked so hard for come back and berate you. Its worse than a back stab.I hope he can look past this.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

niyi wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:59 pm

Nothing.
Why would i be in denial if I thought the theory being put forward was objective?

The AFCON really brings a lot of attention to Nigerian football and this attention increases as the team progresses further in the tournament. The set of fans gained during the AFCON are a different rabid breed emboldened by the anonymity social media offers. My recollection is that Okoye’s abuse was intense and short-lived but Uzoho’s criticism was continuous and that is worse to me.

I believe you are giving too much credit to the average social media fan’s knowledge of Naija footballers. Watch some of these street interviews and you will see the average person on the street in Nigeria cannot even recognize Iwobi or Chukwueze.
Uzohos abuse has been much much worse than Okoye, the difference is how each deals with it. Nigerians that grew up in Naija understand the blame culture prevalent back home (something I had to learn playing with Nigerians in the US - playing with the white kids you win as a team lose as a team and it’s all about constructive criticism) and seem they are more prepared for the abuse like Sadiq mentioned.

But back to Uzoho, he even has a nickname among Naija fans on social media they refuse to call his name as they see it as bad luck and rather refer to him as ‘Blood of Jesus’ as that is what the team would need to be covered with if he has to be in goal as it’s like playing with no goalie and just relying on God to prevent us from conceding lol. If you follow these players you could see the crazies targeting Iwobi from the first game and he’s such a nice chap I knew it would be tough for him to deal with it…he’s gone from the darling hero whose goal took us to the 2018 WC, to the scapegoat for this AFCON - that’s hard to swallow. They have also targeted Samu and were completely against the coach starting him in finals…but he’s dealt with them or ignored them or turned off comments…so I don’t think they are just targeting ‘foreign players’…it’s social media…anyone can get it
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Iwobi’s singling out is largely a consequence of the amateurish angling of their rhetoric and reasoning. In all debating arenas the chime is for mercurial number 10s, who turn on a sixpence and win a game singlehanded with a plethora of passes. The quintessential quantum leapers, only the leap is only ever retrograde. A step back in time. A stroll down the annals of history where Juan Riquelmes, Rivaldos, Bergkamps stalked the plains as tyrannosaurus through-ball.

Of course Nigeria’s failure, through such shortsighted, nostalgically inclined eyes, it’s Iwobi’s fault. Where were the passes, the pirouettes, the stepovers and Okochaesque drag backs.

In the modern-era, teams attack through multiple means, seldom is there over-reliance on a 10, if employed at all. Even the 8s are given a break. The game is no longer played in straight lines, quarterbacking Alexander-Arnolds step inside and spray passes worthy of John Madden. The creativity comes from myriad sources, movements, sequences and automatisms passing the onus like the baton in a ceaseless relay.

That anyone would lay blame solely at Iwobi’s feet only highlights how primitive the thinking. With the midfield so overrun, the lack of strategic intelligence and absolute absence of compaction from front to back rendering Osimhen’s attempted press little more than a squander of ATP, was it any surprise the game played out as so.

The whole performance was as poor as they come in a final. Tired heads, knackered legs. El Xenohobico was there Mount Olympus. Scaled and flagged. The rest was an after thought.
Last edited by Coach on Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Coach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:06 pm Iwobi’s singling out is largely a consequence of the amateurish angling of their rhetoric and reasoning. In all debating arenas the chime is for mercurial number 10s, who turn on a sixpence and when a game singlehanded with a plethora of passes. The quintessential quantum leapers, only the leap is only ever retrograde. A step back in time. A stroll down the annals of history where Juan Riquelmes, Rivaldos, Bergkamps stalked the plains as tyrannosaurus through-ball.

Of course Nigeria’s failure, through such shortsighted, nostalgically inclined eyes, it’s Iwobi’s fault. Where were the passes, the pirouettes, the stopovers and Okochiesque drag backs. In the modern-era, teams attack through multiple means, seldom is there over-reliance on a 10, if employed at all. Even the 8s are given a break. The game is no longer played in straight lines, quarterbacking Alexander-Arnolds step inside and spray passes worthy of John Madden. The creativity comes from myriad sources, movements, sequences and automatisms passing the onus like the baton in a ceaseless relay.

That anyone would lay blame solely at Iwobi’s feet only highlights how primitive the thinking. With the midfield so overrun, the lack of strategic intelligence and absolute absence of compaction from front to back rendering Osimhen’s attempted press little more a squander of ATP, was it any surprise the game played out as so.

The whole performance was as poor as they come in a final. Tired heads, knackered legs. El Xenohobico was there Mount Olympus. Scaled and flagged. The rest was an after thought.
thank u Coachito
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

It's a divisive narrative emerging here that foreign born players are somehow more subject to abuse than nigerian born ones. I don't think there's data to back that up, difference might just be in reporting or response. But in any case, it's one of those things that needs to be proven as on the surface, it's very divisive and we don't need any more problems.

I don't like to impugn on other people's knowledge of the game but part of the reason why some fans feel they need to scapegoat Iwobi is because they're rigid and like to see the game played in set ways. So a LB has to show like Ashley Cole or a young Taiwo. A winger has to be Finidi like, attacking midfielder has to play like JJ, Riquelme etc. When they don't see that, they start attacking the player ignoring what the team objective is and having no appreciation for a game that's constantly changing.

Iwobi spoke about his role in the team as managing the game, Peseiro also said it, dunno what peeps expect from him, ignore his coach's demands and find himself on the bench?? Maybe being misunderstood just got to him.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^1990s football and fans expecting 1990s Gascoignes and Bergkamps. As entertaining as the tournament was, on its evidence, the Moroccan glitch in the Mundial matrix won’t be repeated any time soon. Where was the innovation, the forward thinking? Good old kick, chase and a battle of brawn like warring Mandingo warriors.

Beyond the disappointment should come, for the ardent fan of this beautiful game, constructive critique. On second viewing, all the games are considerably different. Silver was as fair as it was fortuitous. And of the final, if Iwobi was the issue, then the lineup was an Andy Warhol classic with 9 possibly 10 of those to some degree.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:22 pm
niyi wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:59 pm

Nothing.

Uzohos abuse has been much much worse than Okoye, the difference is how each deals with it. Nigerians that grew up in Naija understand the blame culture prevalent back home (something I had to learn playing with Nigerians in the US - playing with the white kids you win as a team lose as a team and it’s all about constructive criticism) and seem they are more prepared for the abuse like Sadiq mentioned.

But back to Uzoho, he even has a nickname among Naija fans on social media they refuse to call his name as they see it as bad luck and rather refer to him as ‘Blood of Jesus’ as that is what the team would need to be covered with if he has to be in goal as it’s like playing with no goalie and just relying on God to prevent us from conceding lol. If you follow these players you could see the crazies targeting Iwobi from the first game and he’s such a nice chap I knew it would be tough for him to deal with it…he’s gone from the darling hero whose goal took us to the 2018 WC, to the scapegoat for this AFCON - that’s hard to swallow. They have also targeted Samu and were completely against the coach starting him in finals…but he’s dealt with them or ignored them or turned off comments…so I don’t think they are just targeting ‘foreign players’…it’s social media…anyone can get it
I think you both are misreading me. Or maybe Indidnt make my point clear.
I’m talking about the abuse they received immediately after the previous AFCON and World Cup qualification blunders.

I’m not referring to what happened after all that, during which time Uzoho went on to commit even more blunders and the world descended on him like the collapsed Ikoyi skyscraper.

In totality, yes you are right.
But Uzoho stuck around - without the ball. So he was bound to attract more stick.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Chukwueze is worse than Iwobi and in more than one way.

Chukwueze is one of the most innately talented footballers I have ever seen!

The word talent is thrown around too easily, most of the time. Samu is the definition of talent.

His close control is one of the best I have ever seen among all footballers living or dead.

I said among all footballers, living or dead. I didn't say Africans, I didn't say modern footballers.

For Chukwueze to be on the bench for both club and country with that level of talent is one of the saddest things I have ever seen in football.

Samu is the most disappointing footballer I have ever seen in the Green white and green. Mo other footballer has disappointed me more. It's just so sad. A sorry case.

Iwobi......ehhh I know talent when I see it, his talent is not that rare.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

It should be a crime for any footballer to be that talented and sit on a bench. A bloody crime.

He is one or those footballers that thinks he can coast on talent. Moses Simon that at best has 60% of his talent benched him. In a normal world, Moses Simon can never bench Samu.

Moses Simon is a regional talent. Chukwueze is a world class talent. The fact that he is riding pine shows he hasn't worked hard on his game. You cannot ask any of his team mates and have them say he should be a bench player. Pulisic, Leao, Simon, Lookman...they would never say that. They would probably all say he is better than all of them but is lazy, selfish, unwilling to develop is game and do the hard yards.
Last edited by Tbite on Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

aruako1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:02 pm

So now you are blaming me for insults other people have made.

Including members on THIS forum.

People opening threads "Iwobi is useless" etc etc.

But it's my fault. Carry on.