Where is all the anger coming from?.... A moment to recall and to say Thank You to SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Where is all the anger coming from?.... A moment to recall and to say Thank You to SE

Post by Dammy »

aruako1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 am @Dammy and @Danfo both of you are senior members of this forum. You cant bring your feud to every thread. I will delete any subsequent messages. You can DM yourselves or take it to Face to Face
I had alerted the moderators to this trend in a previous thread and no action was taken.
This guy has to be called to order as many former forum members left because of this type of behaviour. I don’t need to spell it out that this is a community where everyone is entitled to their opinions and should not be trolled.
If the moderators wouldn’t do anything about it then I will show him that I am not a pushover and he will get more than he bargained for. I will respond in kind to any reference he makes to me except I did not read the comments.
We have a code of conduct on this forum but it seems the moderators don’t want to enforce it, so it leaves a free for all. The moderators need to take stronger actions than deleting offensive comments or why is it that this same individual is involved in feuds with different CEs? Is he the only one with an opinion here? Why is s he being allowed to break forum rules with only a slap on the wrist? Moderators need to take stronger action against this dude!
I have been on CE for 24 years and nobody can intimidate me!
I am happy
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Where is all the anger coming from?.... A moment to recall and to say Thank You to SE

Post by aruako1 »

Dammy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:40 am
aruako1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 am @Dammy and @Danfo both of you are senior members of this forum. You cant bring your feud to every thread. I will delete any subsequent messages. You can DM yourselves or take it to Face to Face
I had alerted the moderators to this trend in a previous thread and no action was taken.
This guy has to be called to order as many former forum members left because of this type of behaviour. I don’t need to spell it out that this is a community where everyone is entitled to their opinions and should not be trolled.
If the moderators wouldn’t do anything about it then I will show him that I am not a pushover and he will get more than he bargained for. I will respond in kind to any reference he makes to me except I did not read the comments.
We have a code of conduct on this forum but it seems the moderators don’t want to enforce it, so it leaves a free for all. The moderators need to take stronger actions than deleting offensive comments or why is it that this same individual is involved in feuds with different CEs? Is he the only one with an opinion here? Why is s he being allowed to break forum rules with only a slap on the wrist? Moderators need to take stronger action against this dude!
I'm sorry that nothing was dome about your complaint. I will be watching and I will act on any future infractions. Abeg everyone should hold fire. Let us have the vibrant, but respectful, discussions that we know we enjoy here.
Gboye7777
Egg
Egg

Post by Gboye7777 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:40 am
Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 pm
TODAY, my heart bleeds….

Today, my heart bleeds not because Nigeria lost in the championship game to Ivory Coast. It bleeds because of the rabidity of Nigerian football fanhood and what amounts, often, to senseless attacks neither supported by results nor bolstered by a clear outline for the future. Yet, I have been long enough to have not only written about this sport recreationally and scholarly, but to have consumed it from before I became a teenager. I saw and talked with the legendary Ishola Folorunso in Abeokuta when I shivered by merely shaking his bare hands. As I kid I received a response from Muda Lawal after I had written to him. That was a precious moment for me. I have chronicled the first definitive history of Women’s football in Nigeria tracking it back to the early 1930s following extensive research. Yet, I have now met an era when the rabid fan behavior threatens to destroy it all – Nigerian football in entirety.

Make no mistake this is not about the loss to Ivory Coast. After all, football is all about wins and losses. I have lived long enough to witness plenty of losses from the disastrous loss to Italy at the 1994 World Cup to a line of other debacles that I do not care to recall here. Yet, that is what football has always been. You can never win it all.

I may have been mistaken to think that being among Africa’s best was always an important marker of success. I lived through an era when Nigeria merely qualifying for the AFCON marked time for celebration. Of course, Nigerian football has grown by leaps and bounds. Nigeria has clearly hinged its place regularly among Africa’s best.

Coming to this AFCON, the truth was that very few expected Nigeria to even place among the medals. Ours was a team laboring against Africa’s minnows – the Lesothos, the Central African Republic, the Sierra Leones of this continent. Yet, Nigeria came to this competition and overachieved. Maske no mistake about it. Nigeria, instead of collapsing, went on to claim second plac. It was its highest finish in a decade!

Losing to the host nation in the championship game is no mean feat. Until this competition, I do not recall Nigeria ever besting Ivory Coast in Ivory Coast! Not ever! Never in Nigeria’s soccer history and certainly not in a competitive international. I have not re-examined the records and I stand to be corrected. But it is safe to state that beating a host nation in an AFCON final is not an easy feat. In its 34 years of competition, the host nation has only failed to take the trophy in three championship games! That is 3 out of 34 years of AFCON competition. And out of those times, the host nation was expected to lose in two – 1965 and 182 when Ghana was overwhelming favorite over Tunisia and Libya respectively. The only upset? It was Nigeria failing to win the championship at home against archrival Cameroon. It took a penalty-kick tiebreaker in 2002 to hand over third place to Cameroon. Remember, it was not even recorded as a defeat but only as the cup being awarded based on a tiebreaker. Thus, despite Nigeria’s hopes, the books favored Ivory Coast at home against Nigeria on Sunday. That is what history predicted and the outcome followed history.

Given those circumstances, I am finding it difficult to understand the vituperations that have followed a loss that was more predictable than otherwise. Then, amid a heck of a commendable performance by a Nigerian team that was considered as good as dead barely months ago! Perhaps, it is just the lack of soccer history, perhaps it is the pangs and disappointment of defeat, or maybe it is just the social media age and its quest for instant appeasement even when the reality is different.

I remain resolute in my commendation of the Super Eagles and what they achieved at this tournament. They have gone to a place where Nigeria had failed to reach since 2013. To that, I doff my hat.
EII,

Just goes to show what kind of agberos we have in CE. At the Nigerian restaurant where a group of friends and I gathered to watch the match, there was a significant number of young Ivorians. Their mood was somewhat somber but extremely respectful when we scored and after the game they jubilated, also respectfully. Some hugged their Nigerian counterparts amidst the breakout of a huge party. I left around 7 pm eastern time but I understand the party continued until very late.

Football is, after all, just a game🤔❗️

Cheers.
I love it :thumbs:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Amen
👍🏽
YemiBrazil wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:32 pm I recall a thread before the tournament asking for predictions. I predicted at best a 2nd round exit going by our recent showings.

Thank you to SE for exceeding my expectation and giving us lots of memorable moments that highlight the Nigerian spirit. The AFCON is a celebration of Africa, and Africa was truly celebrated with Nigeria playing a major part from Day 1 to the grand finale! Proud of the Super Eagles.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

I approve this post. That dude needs to be checked by the mods. Him and his side guy acts like their opinion is the only one that counts. I have been on CE for 20 years and acts like his is how we lost so many good members.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...I have no beef with the whole SE performance at this afcon.
Yes they did indeed exceed expectation though at the clinch of the teeth during every match, that is expected as the football in 2024 has evolved and no more small teams in Africa or anywhere.
I strongly congratulate them, they lost to the host, a power house in Africa too.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

aruako1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:50 am
I'm sorry that nothing was dome about your complaint. I will be watching and I will act on any future infractions. Abeg everyone should hold fire. Let us have the vibrant, but respectful, discussions that we know we enjoy here.
Please go to the Okoye v Juventus thread and the dude just referred to me as a quack!
This is despite the efforts of the moderators to bring sanity back to the forum!
You guys need to take action
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

packerland wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:40 pm
I approve this post. That dude needs to be checked by the mods. Him and his side guy acts like their opinion is the only one that counts. I have been on CE for 20 years and acts like his is how we lost so many good members.
Thats a long time. A lot of your mates have moved on to accomplish great things. You are still here, on CE and in school maintaining F1. You should try to do better. :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 pm
TODAY, my heart bleeds….

Today, my heart bleeds not because Nigeria lost in the championship game to Ivory Coast. It bleeds because of the rabidity of Nigerian football fanhood and what amounts, often, to senseless attacks neither supported by results nor bolstered by a clear outline for the future. Yet, I have been long enough to have not only written about this sport recreationally and scholarly, but to have consumed it from before I became a teenager. I saw and talked with the legendary Ishola Folorunso in Abeokuta when I shivered by merely shaking his bare hands. As I kid I received a response from Muda Lawal after I had written to him. That was a precious moment for me. I have chronicled the first definitive history of Women’s football in Nigeria tracking it back to the early 1930s following extensive research. Yet, I have now met an era when the rabid fan behavior threatens to destroy it all – Nigerian football in entirety.

Make no mistake this is not about the loss to Ivory Coast. After all, football is all about wins and losses. I have lived long enough to witness plenty of losses from the disastrous loss to Italy at the 1994 World Cup to a line of other debacles that I do not care to recall here. Yet, that is what football has always been. You can never win it all.

I may have been mistaken to think that being among Africa’s best was always an important marker of success. I lived through an era when Nigeria merely qualifying for the AFCON marked time for celebration. Of course, Nigerian football has grown by leaps and bounds. Nigeria has clearly hinged its place regularly among Africa’s best.

Coming to this AFCON, the truth was that very few expected Nigeria to even place among the medals. Ours was a team laboring against Africa’s minnows – the Lesothos, the Central African Republic, the Sierra Leones of this continent. Yet, Nigeria came to this competition and overachieved. Maske no mistake about it. Nigeria, instead of collapsing, went on to claim second plac. It was its highest finish in a decade!

Losing to the host nation in the championship game is no mean feat. Until this competition, I do not recall Nigeria ever besting Ivory Coast in Ivory Coast! Not ever! Never in Nigeria’s soccer history and certainly not in a competitive international. I have not re-examined the records and I stand to be corrected. But it is safe to state that beating a host nation in an AFCON final is not an easy feat. In its 34 years of competition, the host nation has only failed to take the trophy in three championship games! That is 3 out of 34 years of AFCON competition. And out of those times, the host nation was expected to lose in two – 1965 and 182 when Ghana was overwhelming favorite over Tunisia and Libya respectively. The only upset? It was Nigeria failing to win the championship at home against archrival Cameroon. It took a penalty-kick tiebreaker in 2002 to hand over third place to Cameroon. Remember, it was not even recorded as a defeat but only as the cup being awarded based on a tiebreaker. Thus, despite Nigeria’s hopes, the books favored Ivory Coast at home against Nigeria on Sunday. That is what history predicted and the outcome followed history.

Given those circumstances, I am finding it difficult to understand the vituperations that have followed a loss that was more predictable than otherwise. Then, amid a heck of a commendable performance by a Nigerian team that was considered as good as dead barely months ago! Perhaps, it is just the lack of soccer history, perhaps it is the pangs and disappointment of defeat, or maybe it is just the social media age and its quest for instant appeasement even when the reality is different.

I remain resolute in my commendation of the Super Eagles and what they achieved at this tournament. They have gone to a place where Nigeria had failed to reach since 2013. To that, I doff my hat.
Well said bro.