Iwobis problem

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kali
Egg
Egg
Iwobis problem

Post by kali »

Iwobi is no pirlo who can't run fast and doesn't defend but whose passes are out of this world.

He is no Paul Pogba who played deep for France but could defend, launch counter attacks, pass long and score from distance.

Iwobi is an average attacking midfielder that doesn't defend, is not particularly fast and who overworks the central midfield to cover for his weaknesses.
onovo
Egg
Egg
Re: Iwobis problem

Post by onovo »

kali wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:04 am Iwobi is no pirlo who can't run fast and doesn't defend but whose passes are out of this world.

He is no Paul Pogba who played deep for France but could defend, launch counter attacks, pass long and score from distance.

Iwobi is an average attacking midfielder that doesn't defend, is not particularly fast and who overworks the central midfield to cover for his weaknesses.
We don't even have that surplus in midfield quality to cover Iwobi's weakness. He needs to watch Oliseh and add long range pass, shot from a distance to his game. Whilst I don't support cyber bullying, however Iwobi needs to step up if I would consider him a mainstay in Super Eagles midfield in future endeavors !
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Iwobi was never played as a AM during Afcon. He was plated as CM with heavy defending responsibilities and played his role well. Only those who don't understand the game think he had a bad Afcon.

No he wasn't your AM..
No he wasn't a deep playmaker
No he wasn't your DM.

He was a box to box with defensive responsibilities in the middle. Of the park. He job was simply to keep the ball.moving, let nobody pass you and protect the backline. Das all.
OCCUPY NFF!!
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:18 am Iwobi was never played as a AM during Afcon. He was plated as CM with heavy defending responsibilities and played his role well. Only those who don't understand the game think he had a bad Afcon.

No he wasn't your AM..
No he wasn't your DM.

He was a box to box with defensive responsibilities in the middle. Of the park. He job was simply to keep the ball.moving, let nobody pass you and protect the backline. Das all.

Exactly! Pase didn't play to his strength.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

onovo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:17 am
kali wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:04 am Iwobi is no pirlo who can't run fast and doesn't defend but whose passes are out of this world.

We don't even have that surplus in midfield quality to cover Iwobi's weakness. He needs to watch Oliseh and add long range pass, shot from a distance to his game. Whilst I don't support cyber bullying, however Iwobi needs to step up if I would consider him a mainstay in Super Eagles midfield in future endeavors !
At 27 or so I doubt Iwobi can learn new tricks unfortunately, definitely doesn't have the excitement and skill he used to have when he was that wonder kid from the Arsenal academy. We just have to make do with what he can offer us and hope a really good COACH can play him to his strengths while we give other younger offensive midfielders more opportunities.
bunda
Egg
Egg

Post by bunda »

why place a square peg in a round hole and wonder why things don't work
play your key players in their natural positioning
in a 352 he should have been the AM -NOT CM/DM
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I am sorry for the insults Iwobi got but lets call a spade a spade. Iwobi no sabi ball. Same with Aribo. Those 2 are #$% players and we are suffering because of them. Just because they play in England does not mean they are good players. The sooner they leave the SEs the better it will be . Look at how good Freddy of Angola is. Where does he play in again? Turkish div 2 yet he is a far better midfileder than Iwobi? We have guys like Olawoyin, Matthew, Akinsanmiro, Eletu, FDB, TDB , Nwakali, Daga, NNadi who will do a far better job than Iwobi and Aribo if giving the opportunity but we shun them because they are not playing in a "Top 5 League". We deserve the rubbish we are seeing from the Super Eagles. The day we start scouting for better players is the day the SEs will soar again.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

bret- hart wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:47 am I am sorry for the insults Iwobi got but lets call a spade a spade. Iwobi no sabi ball. Same with Aribo. Those 2 are #$% players and we are suffering because of them. Just because they play in England does not mean they are good players. The sooner they leave the SEs the better it will be . Look at how good Freddy of Angola is. Where does he play in again? Turkish div 2 yet he is a far better midfileder than Iwobi? We have guys like Olawoyin, Matthew, Akinsanmiro, Eletu, FDB, TDB , Nwakali, Daga, NNadi who will do a far better job than Iwobi and Aribo if giving the opportunity but we shun them because they are not playing in a "Top 5 League". We deserve the rubbish we are seeing from the Super Eagles. The day we start scouting for better players is the day the SEs will soar again.
One question.

Did Freddy play in a 2 man midfield ?

Simple yes or no will suffice.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

IQ of this forum have really deeped.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

eyan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:19 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:18 am Iwobi was never played as a AM during Afcon. He was plated as CM with heavy defending responsibilities and played his role well. Only those who don't understand the game think he had a bad Afcon.

No he wasn't your AM..
No he wasn't your DM.

Exactly! Pase didn't play to his strength.
Pase is a fraud.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Watch him at Fullham. He plays out wide. Paulinhna is the CM for Fullham. He was played out of position. Iwobi is a good player. The coach got to put in good position to succeed. He tried at Afcon. He knows deep down he didn't do well. Which is not his fault. It is the coach fault.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:03 am
bret- hart wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:47 am I am sorry for the insults Iwobi got but lets call a spade a spade. Iwobi no sabi ball. Same with Aribo. Those 2 are #$% players and we are suffering because of them. Just because they play in England does not mean they are good players. The sooner they leave the SEs the better it will be . Look at how good Freddy of Angola is. Where does he play in again? Turkish div 2 yet he is a far better midfileder than Iwobi? We have guys like Olawoyin, Matthew, Akinsanmiro, Eletu, FDB, TDB , Nwakali, Daga, NNadi who will do a far better job than Iwobi and Aribo if giving the opportunity but we shun them because they are not playing in a "Top 5 League". We deserve the rubbish we are seeing from the Super Eagles. The day we start scouting for better players is the day the SEs will soar again.
One question.

This your 2 man midfield recitations are getting stale already, if you like line up 1,2,3 or 4 midfielders I just don't think Iwobi is that guy anymore Ok granted, Iwobi was played out of position in the 343 system, but when last did Iwobi really have a splendid game for us in the 433 and other attacking formations we've played recently?.I saw far more composed, exciting and skillful ballers from the so called minnow teams at the AFCON, and most of those teams played about the same defensive formation as we did, so I'm not buying into that midfied excuse anymore...we've been playing the Ndidi/Iwobi and Aribo trio for the longest now and they've given us nothing particularly spectacular. Like Bret said, why can't we start looking at other players in that midfield (he listed their names already) and these aren't players we are not familiar with, we watch them ball from time to time at their respective clubs.

I personally think the hidden gems are mostly in the lowly leagues, we've been overpampered with thinking all this overpaid average players we have are good simply because they are shiny toys from the premier league...
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:25 am
One question.

This your 2 man midfield recitations are getting stale already, if you like line up 1,2,3 or 4 midfielders I just don't think Iwobi is that guy anymore Ok granted, Iwobi was played out of position in the 343 system, but when last did Iwobi really have a splendid game for us in the 433 and other attacking formations we've played recently?.I saw far more composed, exciting and skillful ballers from the so called minnow teams at the AFCON, and most of those teams played about the same defensive formation as we did, so I'm not buying into that midfied excuse anymore...we've been playing the Ndidi/Iwobi and Aribo trio for the longest now and they've given us nothing particularly spectacular. Like Bret said, why can't we start looking at other players in that midfield (he listed their names already) and these aren't players we are not familiar with, we watch them ball from time to time at their respective clubs.

I personally think the hidden gems are mostly in the lowly leagues, we've been overpampered with thinking all this overpaid average players we have are good simply because they are shiny toys from the premier league...
Bro i dont even bother myself with these clowns here. Remember they were the same people that were fighting me just because I said Tella deserved a callup. Tella is now tearing up the Bundesliga and is very close to becoming a Bundesliga champion. The problem with Nigeria is Nigerians. We have no foresight. The best Nigerian players are the ones playing in the so called "backwater" leagues. These are the guys that will propel the SEs forward. Where does Stanly Nwabali play in again? Nuff said
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

One question.

How many of those "skillful" midfielders have constantly faced low blocks from very defensive teams. How did Freddy of Angola, for instance, do against Nigeria? When Iwobi had Ndidi and Etebo alongside him how did he do?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

One question.

Iwobi had a great game against Equatorial Guinea when he played in his position.

If not for Osimehns uselessness he would have had an assist.

you are talking pure rubbish.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

No he wasn't your AM..
No he wasn't your DM.

Nigeria lined up with Onyeka as the DM and Iwobi as a deep AM. Reason being Paseiro saw Iwobi as a defensive sieve through whom opposing teams would counter through the middle. South Africa almost scored when Iwobi turned the ball over.

Playing Iwobi deep was part of a series of mistakes. It meant that our midfield counters relied almost exclusively on wide players like Zaidu and Aina. And people wonder why Lookman and Simon kept dropping back to support the midfield.

Nigeria needs to look for a new coach and clean out the stable. Iwobi is at best a utility player. Same goes for Aina, Zaidu, Onyeka, Yusuf.

Nigeria was once short of attackers now we have a wealth of them. Osihmen, Moffi, Orban, Lookman. But they will achieve nothing with that Mickey mouse midfield.

I suggest Nigeria only guarantee starting spots for Osihmen, Lookman, Bassey, Ajayi, Nwabali, Troost. Time to look for 6 complimentary players.