Failure of individual events have lost their sting for me

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Failure of individual events have lost their sting for me

Post by Tbite »

When I was young every individual incident that happened in Nigeria, would be like a fresh sting. I remember 2005 on my birthday when my dad told me we didn't qualify for the world cup, it made me damn near depressed.

But to be honest, I've stopped seeing failures in Nigeria, footballing and otherwise as fresh stings. I don't look at the news and have the perception that something has just happened. The way I see Nigeria now is vastly different from even 5 years ago.

I think Nigeria is so structurally broken to the point that it is a failure generating machine. To feel a fresh sting every time there is a new output does not seem very rational to me. It's like being surprised when a hen lays a egg. Or being perplexed when a cloud produces rainfall.

Nigeria is a failure generating machine. What I feel now is more of a perpetual sting. Knowing that the country is fundamentally broken. The specific updates on events are more like email confirmations that the system is still dysfunctional.

The way Nigeria is presently constituted, it is impossible for there not.to be a plethora of failures. To be clear, this is mostly relating to non football failures, as our sporting woes are only one small component.

I don't feel deeply sad that we underperform at specific sporting events anymore. Now the true sadness is simply that we are who we are.

When we failed to qualify for Qatar, it didn't open up deep fresh cuts. It wasn't like Gernany 2006, it was just confirmation.

I think realistically we shouldn't really expect much from Nigeria until we begin to reform this country. The fresh disappointments that Nigerisns often feel is in many respects is irrational. You know your country, why are you surprised?

I think Nigerians become fixated at the symptoms and not the disease. As I have gotten older, the symptoms take up less of my awareness, and the disease is at the forefront of my mind.

Expecting a failure generating machine to yield positive results is very naive. Yes occasionally we have our moments, but a damaged timepiece is accurate twice daily.

I am human of course the specific events catch some of my attention, but the main is enduring, it primarily existed before the failure even manifested.

This final loss doesn't really sting that much. Nigerians need to understand one thing, failures in Nigeria are not so much by chance, as they are guaranteed. It is the fact that they are guaranteed that should frustrate you the most, not the specific occurrence.

I think Nigerians and their faith based perception promotes this irrationality, the idea that our woes are somehow random. They are not random. They are guaranteed. Place your faith in the right place.

Have hope that we will muster the courage to tackle the disease. Don't have hope that the failure generating machine will somehow do something unpredictable.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Failure of individual events have lost their sting for me

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Tbite wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:16 am When I was young every individual incident that happened in Nigeria, would be like a fresh sting. I remember 2005 on my birthday when my dad told me we didn't qualify for the world cup, it made me damn near depressed.

But to be honest, I've stopped seeing failures in Nigeria, footballing and otherwise as fresh stings. I don't look at the news and have the perception that something has just happened. The way I see Nigeria now is vastly different from even 5 years ago.

I think Nigeria is so structurally broken to the point that it is a failure generating machine. To feel a fresh sting every time there is a new output does not seem very rational to me. It's like being surprised when a hen lays a egg. Or being perplexed when a cloud produces rainfall.

Nigeria is a failure generating machine. What I feel now is more of a perpetual sting. Knowing that the country is fundamentally broken. The specific updates on events are more like email confirmations that the system is still dysfunctional.

The way Nigeria is presently constituted, it is impossible for there not.to be a plethora of failures. To be clear, this is mostly relating to non football failures, as our sporting woes are only one small component.

I don't feel deeply sad that we underperform at specific sporting events anymore. Now the true sadness is simply that we are who we are.

When we failed to qualify for Qatar, it didn't open up deep fresh cuts. It wasn't like Gernany 2006, it was just confirmation.

I think realistically we shouldn't really expect much from Nigeria until we begin to reform this country. The fresh disappointments that Nigerisns often feel is in many respects is irrational. You know your country, why are you surprised?

I think Nigerians become fixated at the symptoms and not the disease. As I have gotten older, the symptoms take up less of my awareness, and the disease is at the forefront of my mind.

Expecting a failure generating machine to yield positive results is very naive. Yes occasionally we have our moments, but a damaged timepiece is accurate twice daily.

I am human of course the specific events catch some of my attention, but the main is enduring, it primarily existed before the failure even manifested.

This final loss doesn't really sting that much. Nigerians need to understand one thing, failures in Nigeria are not so much by chance, as they are guaranteed. It is the fact that they are guaranteed that should frustrate you the most, not the specific occurrence.

I think Nigerians and their faith based perception promotes this irrationality, the idea that our woes are somehow random. They are not random. They are guaranteed. Place your faith in the right place.

Have hope that we will muster the courage to tackle the disease. Don't have hope that the failure generating machine will somehow do something unpredictable.
You have come full circle and reached the acceptance stage. Some fans did not take too nicely.

A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

Tbite wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:16 am When I was young every individual incident that happened in Nigeria, would be like a fresh sting. I remember 2005 on my birthday when my dad told me we didn't qualify for the world cup, it made me damn near depressed.

You've touched on some very important talking points.

I also understand your frustrations - I stopped caring since 2010.

It's painful that some of us that had detached emotionally from the SE were drawn back in by the efforts of the lads, only for it to end in an anticlimax.

At the end of the day, this is football. You win some, you lose some. Take your victories with magnanimity and losses with equanimity
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:02 am

You have come full circle and reached the acceptance stage. Some fans did not take too nicely.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

For me, I always say, there is another tournament, we get to try again. I do not take losses as the end of the world. I think Nigerians back in the day acted as if someone died after we lose in a football match etc. Growing up one would get so down etc,because of how people reacted . People should learn and remember it is just football, and even if you win, someone else is waiting to get their turn.

There are other issues people are dealing with . Football results is just an emotional(feelings) high and nothing else . Many folks should learn how to get out of their feelings .

Tbite , your posts are too long, I didn't finish reading it all, but got the 411 after the first paragraph
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

That's true o. Flashback at my past comments on the old Kick Off Nigeria forum and even my toned down version here on CE makes me feel like a total stranger today :mrgreen:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You need to seek help. Call Dr. Damunkey. It is SPORTS, not Life!

This goes for the poster above as well...

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Nigeria have only won this tournament 3 times. Twice that I can remember. Too many of you have unrealistic expectations; we are not good enough to win as much as you would like. Just enjoy the whole torunament for what it is. If you win it, fine, if not there's always next time.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Uncle 1naira remembers all our 3 victories with full clarity, even our very first participation so his opinion must be respected.

You are absolutely right, and even more when you consider our erratic preparation.

However, on the flip side looking at the stats, despite Egypt winning 7 times Nigeria is the team most likely to reach the semi-finals anytime we show up for AFCON. That means, we have a realistic chance of winning every time we are out there. Winning is definitely a realistic expectation for Nigeria though you are right on adopting the right mindset and basically enjoying the full complement of the tournament. For me, it's all about celebrating Africa and I enjoy watching each of the teams, their fans, and everything AFCON has to offer.
airwolex wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:16 pm Nigeria have only won this tournament 3 times. Twice that I can remember. Too many of you have unrealistic expectations; we are not good enough to win as much as you would like. Just enjoy the whole torunament for what it is. If you win it, fine, if not there's always next time.

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

What do you mean by SPORTS is not life? We young ones need more explanation on this?
1naija wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:57 pm You need to seek help. Call Dr. Damunkey. It is SPORTS, not Life!

This goes for the poster above as well...