Let's Revisit the 3-4-3 formation.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Let's Revisit the 3-4-3 formation.

Post by 1naija »

I think it made us stronger defensively but weakened our attack in this tournament. We will continue to struggle against quality opponents with this formation. For it to be successful, we need a Mikel type midfielder who can defend as well as be very effective as a AM. Iwobi is most effective as an AM. He tried defensively, but it took away his offense. There was no pressure on Ivory coast because of this, so they were able to take their time to pick us apart.

Given the personel we have, I do not think this is our most effective formation.

How do we get the most from the firepower we have in the team? We should not have proven goals scorers like Osimhen, Nacho, Terem, and Onuachu on the team and be struggling to score goals.

Oya, over to you internet coaches.
Last edited by 1naija on Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Let's Revisit the 3-4-3 formation.

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:12 pm I think it made us stronger defensively but weakened our attack in this tournament. We will continue to struggle against quality opponents with this formation. For it to be successful, we need a Mikel type midfielder who can defend as well as be very effective as a AM. Iwobi is most effective as an AM. He tried defensively, but it took away his offense. There was no pressure on Ivory coast because of this, so they were able to take their time to pick us apart.

Given the personel we have, I do not this is our most effective formation.

How do we get the most from the firepower we have in the team? We should not have proven goals scorers like Osimhen, Nacho, Terem, and Onuachu on the team and be struggling to score goals.

I think this is where we missed Ndidi, he would have plugged that hole and free up Iwobi .
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

There is no room for Onyeka, Ndidi, and Iwobi at once, unless we drop Bassey and go back to traditional 4 - 4 - 2, which in my opinion is the formation that allows us to use our strength...the attack.
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:39 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:12 pm I think it made us stronger defensively but weakened our attack in this tournament. We will continue to struggle against quality opponents with this formation. For it to be successful, we need a Mikel type midfielder who can defend as well as be very effective as a AM. Iwobi is most effective as an AM. He tried defensively, but it took away his offense. There was no pressure on Ivory coast because of this, so they were able to take their time to pick us apart.

I think this is where we missed Ndidi, he would have plugged that hole and free up Iwobi .
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:49 pm There is no room for Onyeka, Ndidi, and Iwobi at once, unless we drop Bassey and go back to traditional 4 - 4 - 2, which in my opinion is the formation that allows us to use our strength...the attack.

Iwobi played as a Wing-AM for Arsenal and Everton and plays as a Wing AM for Fulham.

I am confused why people think he cant do the same thing for Nigeria, in the attacking 3. When one of our "3" - Moses Simon will not even get into the Fulham team, where Iwobi is a starter.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:49 pm There is no room for Onyeka, Ndidi, and Iwobi at once, unless we drop Bassey and go back to traditional 4 - 4 - 2, which in my opinion is the formation that allows us to use our strength...the attack.

Drop Bassy but play Ajayi? Sure
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

-------------------------------------------------Nwabali--------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------Adarabioyo----------Ekong-------------Bassey---------------------------------------

------Aina---------------------------Ndidi-------------Onyeka------------------Zaidu------------------------

-----------------------Iwobi---------------------------------------Boniface------------------------------------

------------------------------------------ ---Osimhen----------------------------------------------------------

Okoye
Rasheed
Osho
Ogbu
Bruno
Osayi
Yusuf
Folorunso
Bashiru
Chukwueze
Nathan Tella
Lookman
Awoniyi
Sadiq Umar
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ajayi was one of our best players. He is a blue collar worker ....quietly goes about his work.
ANC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:06 pm

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ANC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:06 pm

:lol: :lol:
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

The issue with the SE is not the formation.
We don't have ball handlers in the team just destroyers everywhere you look and we are woeful at pressing from the opponents half.
Only Iwobi, Vic, Aina and Ekong to an extent looks up for the pass and no one shows up for it hence the hoofing and puffing
Once we start playing the ball rather than this defensive strategy against every team then we can start to lay better balls to the forward.
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

There was NOTHING wrong with the 3/4/3. Iwobi is not a deep playmaker and a two way midfielder. He is an exceptional player though.

If Ndidi and Onyeka are paired as a twin pivot and we play with Iwobi as a playmaker ahead of them while switching to a 3/5/2 with either Boniface and Osimhen or Moffi and Osimhen, I don’t believe any team on earth can beat Nigeria.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

That's just a variation of 4 - 4- 2.
nzeogwu wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:32 pm There was NOTHING wrong with the 3/4/3. Iwobi is not a deep playmaker and a two way midfielder. He is an exceptional player though.

If Ndidi and Onyeka are paired as a twin pivot and we play with Iwobi as a playmaker ahead of them while switching to a 3/5/2 with either Boniface and Osimhen or Moffi and Osimhen, I don’t believe any team on earth can beat Nigeria.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Given the personel we have, I do not think this is our most effective formation.

I personally like the formation as it made us as solid defensively as I have seen a Super Eagles side in recent memory. There was nothing wrong with the formation offensively, we created chances in every single game (heck Osihmen had what? 4 disallowed goals?), and it took us to the finals and within 30 minutes of the first senior trophy in a over a decade...

People forget that this was a formation change in the middle of a tournament, that the players have only practiced with and utilized in 6 games. Thats it, SIX WHOLE GAMES. And they got to a finals of a tournament. One wonders how effective they would be with more experience with it. All these attacking formations we have been employing for the past decade, where has it gotten us?

Alas, it's Nigeria. You always throw away the baby with the bath water and start from scratch every single year. So back to the drawing board it is.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:09 pm -------------------------------------------------Nwabali--------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------Adarabioyo----------Ekong-------------Bassey---------------------------------------

------Aina---------------------------Ndidi-------------Onyeka------------------Zaidu------------------------

-----------------------Iwobi---------------------------------------Boniface------------------------------------

------------------------------------------ ---Osimhen----------------------------------------------------------

Okoye
Rasheed
Osho
Ogbu
Bruno
Osayi
Yusuf
Folorunso
Bashiru
Chukwueze
Nathan Tella
Lookman
Awoniyi
Sadiq Umar
Bros, you sabi well well.

Can I enroll some pipu for some online classes?

Ps., when una dey look for players no forget Obinna Nwobodo who led the MLS in tackles (pass breakups). Also no forget Chuba Akpom for that support striker role.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:44 pm
danfo driver wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:09 pm -------------------------------------------------Nwabali--------------------------------------------------------

Okoye
Rasheed
Osho
Ogbu
Bruno
Osayi
Yusuf
Folorunso
Bashiru
Chukwueze
Nathan Tella
Lookman
Awoniyi
Sadiq Umar

Ps., when una dey look for players no forget Obinna Nwobodo who led the MLS in tackles (pass breakups). Also no forget Chuba Akpom for that support striker role.
Funny enough, I considered both of them. And they were in a straight battle - Folorunso or Nwobodo AND Akpom or Bashiru. Smae way I struggled between Umar and Moffi.

I left out Nwobodo simply because I have not watched him and I have watched Folorunso, and in the 3-4-3, Folorunso's workrate is something I love.

Akpom, I actually edited my stuff a few times. It was between him and Bashiru. Unfortunately, with the 3-4-3, I felt Bashiru can play the role Iwobi played at AFCOn and also from the side. Chuba I am not so sure he fits. But who knows, until he is tried out.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

This line up will easily get overwhelmed in the midfield. Boniface is not known to help on defense, so Iwobi cannot comit to the AM role. Based on this AFCON, the only player that can fit Boniface's role in this line up and and still let us maintain our defensive structure is Lookman. He can defend in the midfield and can score.
Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:44 pm

Okoye
Rasheed
Osho
Ogbu
Bruno
Osayi
Yusuf
Folorunso
Bashiru
Chukwueze
Nathan Tella
Lookman
Awoniyi
Sadiq Umar

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Okoye
Rasheed
Osho
Ogbu
Bruno
Osayi
Yusuf
Folorunso
Bashiru
Chukwueze
Nathan Tella
Lookman
Awoniyi
Sadiq Umar
Add Chuba Akpom (who can play the CAM/support striker role well to relieve Iwobi from creative duties sometimes), Obinna Nwobodo (one of the best tacklers in the MLS), Gab Osho/Elijah Adebayo (both are eligible for Nigeria and look likely to represent Nigeria soon from inside reports) and Dominic Solanke (wants to play for Nigeria if he doesn't get selected for England this summer for the Euros).

We must have a stacked bench going forward, especially more depth in the midfield.
Last edited by Tobi17 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Where are you watching Nwobodo's games?
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:58 pm

Okoye
Rasheed
Osho
Ogbu
Bruno
Osayi
Yusuf
Folorunso
Bashiru
Chukwueze
Nathan Tella
Lookman
Awoniyi
Sadiq Umar
Add Chuba Akpom (who can play the CAM/support striker role well to relieve Iwobi from creative duties sometimes), Obinna Nwobodo (one of the best tacklers in the MLS), Gab Osho/Elijah Adebayo (both are eligible for Nigeria and look likely to represent Nigeria soon from inside reports).

We must have a stacked bench going forward, especially more depth in the midfield.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

metalalloy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:06 pm

I personally like the formation as it made us as solid defensively as I have seen a Super Eagles side in recent memory. There was nothing wrong with the formation offensively, we created chances in every single game (heck Osihmen had what? 4 disallowed goals?), and it took us to the finals and within 30 minutes of the first senior trophy in a over a decade...

People forget that this was a formation change in the middle of a tournament, that the players have only practiced with and utilized in 6 games. Thats it, SIX WHOLE GAMES. And they got to a finals of a tournament. One wonders how effective they would be with more experience with it. All these attacking formations we have been employing for the past decade, where has it gotten us?

Alas, it's Nigeria. You always throw away the baby with the bath water and start from scratch every single year. So back to the drawing board it is.
End of discussion! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Abeg close thread.

Wha choo looking at?!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:56 pm This line up will easily get overwhelmed in the midfield. Boniface is not known to help on defense, so Iwobi cannot comit to the AM role. Based on this AFCON, the only player that can fit Boniface's role in this line up and and still let us maintain our defensive structure is Lookman. He can defend in the midfield and can score.
You cant analyze this line up with the poor strategy employed by Peseiro at the AFCON. Go and watch Bayer Leverkusen, how Xabi implements it. He has Boniface as CF, Peseiro had Osimhen who is a better defender than Boniface. This is how Bayer play and frankly, their midfielders and strikers are not better defensively than ours, its the strategy their coach implements that make them defensively solid and devastating in attack

------------------------------------------------Hradecky--------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------Tapsoba-----------------Tah-------------Hincapie---------------------------------------

------Fringpong------------------------Palacios/Andrich-------------Xhaka------------------Grimaldo-----------

-----------------------Hoffman---------------------------------------Wirtz------------------------------------

------------------------------------------ ---Boniface----------------------------------------------------------

Look at that. Boniface, Wirtz and Hoffman... or Osimhen, Boniface and Iwobi. Ours are defensively stronger!

Palacios and Xhaka? Ndidi and Onyeka? I know who is more defensively stronger.. or is it Grimaldo and Fringpong that are attack Merchants?

We just need a coach that will know how to coach properly
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:00 pm Where are you watching Nwobodo's games?

Okoye
Rasheed
Osho
Ogbu
Bruno
Osayi
Yusuf
Folorunso
Bashiru
Chukwueze
Nathan Tella
Lookman
Awoniyi
Sadiq Umar
Add Chuba Akpom (who can play the CAM/support striker role well to relieve Iwobi from creative duties sometimes), Obinna Nwobodo (one of the best tacklers in the MLS), Gab Osho/Elijah Adebayo (both are eligible for Nigeria and look likely to represent Nigeria soon from inside reports).

He plays for the club in the state I'm based and I've watched a bunch of his games.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Add Chuba Akpom (who can play the CAM/support striker role well to relieve Iwobi from creative duties sometimes), Obinna Nwobodo (one of the best tacklers in the MLS), Gab Osho/Elijah Adebayo (both are eligible for Nigeria and look likely to represent Nigeria soon from inside reports) and Dominic Solanke (wants to play for Nigeria if he doesn't get selected for England this summer for the Euros).

We can only select 25 players, which I have done. Unfortunately, we cant select more than that.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:06 pm

We can only select 25 players, which I have done. Unfortunately, we cant select more than that.
You also need fringe players in the event of injuries etc
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Nwakali would fit this system well, he would give us more possession and we currently don't have any midfielder that can supply those long balls from deep better than him plus he is good with freekicks.