Key stats 2023 AFCON: Top three dirtiest players from Nigeria; Onyeka top tackler and interceptor

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Key stats 2023 AFCON: Top three dirtiest players from Nigeria; Onyeka top tackler and interceptor

Post by iworo »

Statistics have shown that the Super Eagles played negative football at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations despite narrowly missing out on the trophy following a 2-1 loss to hosts Ivory Coast in Sunday's showpiece, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.

The top three players with the most fouls committed over the course of the tournament are from Nigeria including two forwards, with Ademola Lookman leading the way with 21 fouls in seven matches.

Reigning African Footballer of the Year Victor Osimhen (20) made the second most fouls in the tournament and in third place is Brentford star Frank Onyeka (18).

Hardworking midfielder Onyeka was the top tackler with fourteen tackles registered, more than any other player in the tournament, while Calvin Bassey ranked second with thirteen tackles.

Versatile wing-back Ola Aina was sixth in that department with the Nottingham Forest defender registering ten tackles.

Onyeka showed his ability to read the game by making ten interceptions - the top player on display in that category.

When it came to minutes played, West Brom centre-back Semi Ajayi totaled 660 minutes across seven matches and ranked seventh behind Obite N'd#$% (Côte d'Ivoire), Yahia Fofana (Côte d'Ivoire), Ronwen Williams (South Africa), Aubrey Modiba (South Africa), Teboho Mokoena (South Africa) and Sphephelo Sithole (South Africa).

Ajayi ranked ninth for interceptions (7) while Victor Osimhen was the stat leader for shots (24), one of which he converted for his first goal at the Africa Cup of Nations in a 1-1 draw with Equatorial Guinea.

Lookman won the second most fouls (17) and was the fourth top crosser having registered 30.

Only Golden Glove winner Ronwen Williams (20) made more saves than Super Eagles goalkeeper Stanley Nwabali (19).

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=50465
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Key stats 2023 AFCON: Top three dirtiest players from Nigeria; Onyeka top tackler and interceptor

Post by Tobi17 »

Onyeka was my revelation of this tournament, I want to see what an Onyeka and Ndidi anchorship will look like.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Key stats 2023 AFCON: Top three dirtiest players from Nigeria; Onyeka top tackler and interceptor

Post by Damunk »

iworo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:19 am Key stats 2023 AFCON: Top three dirtiest players from Nigeria; Onyeka top tackler and interceptor

Statistics have shown that the Super Eagles played negative football at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations despite narrowly missing out on the trophy following a 2-1 loss to hosts Ivory Coast in Sunday's showpiece, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.

The top three players with the most fouls committed over the course of the tournament are from Nigeria including two forwards, with Ademola Lookman leading the way with 21 fouls in seven matches.

Reigning African Footballer of the Year Victor Osimhen (20) made the second most fouls in the tournament and in third place is Brentford star Frank Onyeka (18).

Hardworking midfielder Onyeka was the top tackler with fourteen tackles registered, more than any other player in the tournament, while Calvin Bassey ranked second with thirteen tackles.

Versatile wing-back Ola Aina was sixth in that department with the Nottingham Forest defender registering ten tackles.

Onyeka showed his ability to read the game by making ten interceptions - the top player on display in that category.

When it came to minutes played, West Brom centre-back Semi Ajayi totaled 660 minutes across seven matches and ranked seventh behind Obite N'd#$% (Côte d'Ivoire), Yahia Fofana (Côte d'Ivoire), Ronwen Williams (South Africa), Aubrey Modiba (South Africa), Teboho Mokoena (South Africa) and Sphephelo Sithole (South Africa).

Ajayi ranked ninth for interceptions (7) while Victor Osimhen was the stat leader for shots (24), one of which he converted for his first goal at the Africa Cup of Nations in a 1-1 draw with Equatorial Guinea.

Lookman won the second most fouls (17) and was the fourth top crosser having registered 30.

Only Golden Glove winner Ronwen Williams (20) made more saves than Super Eagles goalkeeper Stanley Nwabali (19).

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=50465
Its great to read that the stats are now available.
I’m very interested in our pass completion rates.
I suspect they will exonerate Iwobi and show up a few like Ajayi and Zaidu…

I think they got their stats from here.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Osimhen had 24 shots/headers and only one goal. Maybe another 3 on target. So our defensive play actually created many chances but we failed to convert them.

Not surprised Onyeka was up there on number of tackles. The guy was all over the place breaking down attacks with tackles and interceptions. One of the reasons some people picked on Iwobi was because it looked like Onyeka was doing the job of two people.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:43 am Onyeka was my revelation of this tournament, I want to see what an Onyeka and Ndidi anchorship will look like.
What we need is ball playing midfielders that have ability to give killer passes, carry ball forward, and score with long range shot. Tacklers and ball interceptor midfielders alone does not do our attack any good. Onyeka and to some extent Ndidi are just too limited in skill set that is required to provide the needed support for our attack.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

We were not dirty. Not one bad challenge made. No red cards or suspensions.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

airwolex wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:24 am We were not dirty. Not one bad challenge made. No red cards or suspensions.
Onyeka was close on some occasions.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:51 am Osimhen had 24 shots/headers and only one goal. Maybe another 3 on target. So our defensive play actually created many chances but we failed to convert them.

Not surprised Onyeka was up there on number of tackles. The guy was all over the place breaking down attacks with tackles and interceptions. One of the reasons some people picked on Iwobi was because it looked like Onyeka was doing the job of two people.
Lolly,

In my view, this is an important stat. I believe that we created more clear chances than the opponent in all our games except the championship. The chances may be close in the South African game and only because South Africa's chances probably came late when they were chasing a goal to tie. Otherwise, I thought Nigeria was pretty comfortable in controlling its games.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

onovo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:22 am
Tobi17 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:43 am Onyeka was my revelation of this tournament, I want to see what an Onyeka and Ndidi anchorship will look like.
What we need is ball playing midfielders that have ability to give killer passes, carry ball forward, and score with long range shot. Tacklers and ball interceptor midfielders alone does not do our attack any good. Onyeka and to some extent Ndidi are just too limited in skill set that is required to provide the needed support for our attack.
You can say that again!

Wha choo looking at?!
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

I totally agree with you. Well said!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

I am sorry. He and Yusuf didnt do it for me.
I hope Ndidi comes back stronger.
Now if you can get another player like Etebo.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:30 pm I am sorry. He and Yusuf didnt do it for me.
ANC,

I hope you are referring to Ndidi of 3-4 years ago and not the version that most recently played for the SE. There is a DIFFERENCE.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

We've seen their partnership before. It's nothing to write home about.
But then it will be a very solid one if we maintain the 3-4-3 or 3-5-2.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

I might be in the minority but I don't agree.

We actually need more ball-winners. And more bite in our midfield. We can't have just one player (Onyeka) doing it. If you paid attention to the Semi-final and the final game, that deficiency was evident.

Our team strategy should be to press with midfielders that can mark.

Get the ball and give it to our strikers.

3-5-1-1 we are currently playing will require better tackling and ball-intercepting midfielders.

BTW, have you watched Ndidi lately? He now ventures forward a lot more.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:53 pm
ANC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:30 pm I am sorry. He and Yusuf didnt do it for me.
ANC,

I hope you are referring to Ndidi of 3-4 years ago and not the version that most recently played for the SE. There is a DIFFERENCE.

I am. Oh well.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Cellular wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:17 pm
I might be in the minority but I don't agree.

We actually need more ball-winners. And more bite in our midfield. We can't have just one player (Onyeka) doing it. If you paid attention to the Semi-final and the final game, that deficiency was evident.

Our team strategy should be to press with midfielders that can mark.

Get the ball and give it to our strikers.

3-5-1-1 we are currently playing will require better tackling and ball-intercepting midfielders.

BTW, have you watched Ndidi lately? He now ventures forward a lot more.
We can add another midfielder so it makes 3 and if they are interchangeable then the better.
Having tackler and interceptors who can't pass really didn't help the SE in this tourney especially in the final.
We could not hold the ball at all for more than 3 seconds, all the SE did was intercept and balloon the ball mostly
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

iworo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:22 pm
I totally agree with you. Well said!
We already have 2-3 proven ball winners (very important in a team that presses) in Ndidi, Onyeka and maybe Onyedika.

Creative ball distributors in Iwobi and potentially Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, Eletu/Daga, hopefully the likes of Eze etc