Super Falcons List for 2024 Olympic Qualifiers next week

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Adisboy
Egg
Egg
Super Falcons List for 2024 Olympic Qualifiers next week

Post by Adisboy »

https://nigeriafootball.ng/paris-2024-7 ... -cameroon/

By Oyediji Oluwaseun Babatunde

Head coach of Nigeria’s women’s team, Randy Waldrum has invited 21 players, with Ashleigh Plumptre, Halimatu Ayinde and Jennifer Echigini returning against Cameroon for the Paris 2024 Olympics qualifiers this month.

Waldrum’s return as substantive coach on a one-year contract extension, according to sources following the expiration of his two-year contract in October 2023 brings an end to interim services of Justin Madugu,who oversaw the team’s outings against Ethiopia and Cape Verde, guaranteeing the country’s ticket to 2024 Africa Cup of Nations.

Al-Ittihad Ladies defender Plumptre made her return to the squad after her last game for the Super Falcons against her birth country, England at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup Round of 16.

New Juventus signing Echegini, who also featured at the last global showpiece will make her first appearance for the nine-time African champions since playing at the global women’s football mundial.

Also returning to the fold is Rosengard FC midfielder, Halimatu Ayinde, who had been out due to injury since she featured prominently at the World Cup.

Regular suspects like record Africa women’s footballer of the year, Asisat Oshoala, Chiamaka Nnadozie, Michelle Alozie, Tosin Demehin, Christy Ucheibe, Rasheedat Ajibade, and Toni Payne made the squad.

Meanwhile, Linda Jiwaku earned her first ever call-up to the country’s senior national team despite her limited playing time at Bayelsa Queens following the good form of former Falcons invite Onyinyechi Okere this season.

The 2022 U17 Women’s World Cup bronze winning goalkeeper becomes the sixth different goalkeeper from the Nigeria Women Football League to earn a call-up to the senior national team under Randy Waldrum’s watch.

See also Paris 2024: Ethiopia open camp for Super Falcons clash in Addis Ababa
During Waldrum’s stint, two-time Wafcon winner Christy Ohiaeriaku, Rita Akarekor, Monle Oyono, Etim Sunday, Onyinyechi Okere and Christiana Obia are the previous sixth to have earned call-ups, without featuring in a match.

The Super Falcons are scheduled to resume camp in Abuja on Sunday, February 18 and will travel to Douala on Wednesday, February 21 before returning to Abuja on February 25.

The first leg of the Olympics Qualifiers for the women’s football event is slated for Douala, Cameroon on February 23, 2024. The return leg will take place three days later on February 26 in Abuja.

Victors will proceed to the last stage of the qualifiers to face off against winner of Tanzania and South Africa in April.

Nigeria women squad for Cameroon

Goalkeepers: Chiamaka Nnadozie (Paris FC); Tochukwu Oluehi (Shualay Alsharqia FC); Linda Jiwaku (Bayelsa Queens)

Defenders: Osinachi Ohale (Pachuca); Ashleigh Plumptre (Al-Ittihad Ladies); Oluwatosin Demehin (Stade de Reims); Michele Alozie (Houston Dash); Rofiat Imuran (Stade de Reims); Ogbonna Akudo Esther (Remo Stars)

Midfielders: Deborah Abiodun (University of Pittsburgh); Halimatu Ayinde (Rosengard); Christy Ucheibe (SL Benfica); Jennifer Echegini (Juventus); Rasheedat Ajibade (Athletico Madrid); Toni Payne (Sevilla FC)

Forwards: Rinsola Babajide (Costa Adeje Tenerife); Esther Okoronkwo (Hernan FC); Ifeoma Onumonu (SLC Utah); Asisat Oshoala (Bay FC); Uchenna Kanu (Racing Louisville); Gift Monday (Costa Adeje Tenerife)
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Super Falcons List for 2024 Olympic Qualifiers next week

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SUPER FALCONS TO BATTLE CAMEROON:

Goalkeepers: Chiamaka Nnadozie (Paris FC); Tochukwu Oluehi (Shualat Alsharqia FC, Saudi Arabia); Linda Jiwuaku (Bayelsa Queens).

Defenders: Osinachi Ohale (Pachucha Club de Futbol, Mexico); Ashleigh Plumptre (Ittihad Ladies, Saudi Arabia); Oluwatosin Demehin (Stade de Reims, France); Michelle Alozie (Houston Dash, USA); Akudo Ogbonna (Remo Stars Ladies); Rofiat Imuran (Stade de Reims, France).

Midfielders: Deborah Abiodun (University of Pittsburgh, USA); Halimatu Ayinde (FC Rosengard, Sweden); Christy Ucheibe (SL Benfica, Portugal); Jennifer Echegini (Juventus Ladies, Italy); Rasheedat Ajibade (Atletico Madrid FC, Spain); Toni Payne (Sevilla FC, Spain).

Forwards: Omorinsola Babajide (Coasta Adeje Tenerife Egatesa, Spain); Esther Okoronkwo (Henan FC, China); Ifeoma Onumonu (SLC Utah, USA); Asisat Oshoala (Bay FC, Spain); Uchenna Kanu (Racing Louisville, USA); Gift Monday (Coasta Adeje Tenerife Egatesa, Spain)
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Good list, but…

The lack of quality depth in the GK position is a potential pitfall. Worry is that if Chiamaka Nnadozie cops an injury or is otherwise unavailable, there’ll be a MASSIVE drop off in quality. Tochukwu Oluehi, while very experienced, is (having been watching several of our games in the Saudi league) IMHO frankly no longer international-class.

Meanwhile, the call up of Linda Jiwuaka, who’s struggling to get into the main squad of the U20 Falconets (the other 3 GKs in the Falconets list were the 3 GKs for the Falconets U20 WC qualifiers, including 2 who’ve been starters). This is however in keeping up with the recent call ups of Oyono (RESERVE GK at Bayelsa Queens) and OBia (RESERVE at Edo Queens).

Furthermore, I think Esther Onyenezide should have been called up again. Her last couple of performances for the Super Falcons definitely justifies it, and the team sorely needs a creative midfielder (apart from Toni Payne, who is not really a true midfielder) that it’s lacked since the justified dropping of Ngozi Okobi who filled that role for eons.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Gotti wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:24 am Good list, but…

The lack of quality depth in the GK position is a potential pitfall. Worry is that if Chiamaka Nnadozie cops an injury or is otherwise unavailable, there’ll be a MASSIVE drop off in quality. Tochukwu Oluehi, while very experienced, is (having been watching several of our games in the Saudi league) IMHO frankly no longer international-class.

Meanwhile, the call up of Linda Jiwuaka, who’s struggling to get into the main squad of the U20 Falconets (the other 3 GKs in the Falconets list were the 3 GKs for the Falconets U20 WC qualifiers, including 2 who’ve been starters). This is however in keeping up with the recent call ups of Oyono (RESERVE GK at Bayelsa Queens) and OBia (RESERVE at Edo Queens).

Furthermore, I think Esther Onyenezide should have been called up again. Her last couple of performances for the Super Falcons definitely justifies it, and the team sorely needs a creative midfielder (apart from Toni Payne, who is not really a true midfielder) that it’s lacked since the justified dropping of Ngozi Okobi who filled that role for eons.
Don't you think Joe Echiegini fills the creative role? She seems to be a female version of Jude Bellingham
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

They need to take this qualifier seriously. We barely beat Cameroon at the AFCON and it feels like Cameroon has gone to the last two Olympics tournaments.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Adisboy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:47 am
Gotti wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:24 am Good list, but…

Don't you think Joe Echiegini fills the creative role? She seems to be a female version of Jude Bellingham
I was going to say the same re-Jennifer but I am not sure what role she is currently playing in Italy.

My concern is Alozie. Last time I saw her before the holidays she was in crutches from what she said was minor surgery. I know she has resumed full training but she has not played a game yet as the NWSL is in pre season. I worry about her match fitness. We lack depth at full back.

I think we are OK everywhere else. Gotti your concerns about Oluehi are noted but she hasnt faltered when called upon recently.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Ugbowo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:56 pm
Adisboy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:47 amDon't you think Joe Echiegini fills the creative role? She seems to be a female version of Jude Bellingham
I was going to say the same re-Jennifer but I am not sure what role she is currently playing in Italy.

My concern is Alozie. Last time I saw her before the holidays she was in crutches from what she said was minor surgery. I know she has resumed full training but she has not played a game yet as the NWSL is in pre season. I worry about her match fitness. We lack depth at full back.

I think we are OK everywhere else. Gotti your concerns about Oluehi are noted but she hasnt faltered when called upon recently.
It’s the same role she played at FSU (and I probably watched all of their games last season)…
It’s not a creative role but more of an attacking midfielder or support striker (more Lampard than anyone else).

As for Oluehi, she’s 37 years this year and on the decline…
Watched several of her Saudi games, and she’s NOT the same from a few years ago.

As for Alozie, if she’s unavailable Akudo Ogbonna can competently fill that role…
If need be, Nicole Payne (or even Glory Edet) can be drafted in for additional cover.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Very good squad. I agree that goalkeeping lacks depth.

Also agree that Echegini will bring real drive in that midfield. Gotti’s Lampard comparison is apt. Lots of powerful running from deep; she’ll add to the goals.

Cameroon are not a shabby side. Should be a good match up.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Onyenezide has been knocking on that SF door for a while now.
Her time will surely come soon.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

packerland wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:29 am They need to take this qualifier seriously. We barely beat Cameroon at the AFCON and it feels like Cameroon has gone to the last two Olympics tournaments.
This current iteration of the Cameroon women's team won't inspire confidence in anybody. They barely made it to this stage (lost 2-0 away to Uganda but won 3 -0 at home with a dubious last minute 3rd goal). They have also been eliminated from this years WAFCON by Kenya in the 1st round of the qualifiers. I will be very shocked if our currently doesn't beat them confortably over 2 legs. The Lioness team don't seem to be refreshing like we are. The quality coming in for Cameroon is below the levels of previous years.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Didn’t know where to post this…

#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The first leg of the game is scheduled for this Friday in Cameroon with the second leg on Monday in Abuja.
So where are the girls right now and where are they camping?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Damunk wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:51 am The first leg of the game is scheduled for this Friday in Cameroon with the second leg on Monday in Abuja.
They are in Abuja. They'll leave for Cameroon tomorrow.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:51 am The first leg of the game is scheduled for this Friday in Cameroon with the second leg on Monday in Abuja.
There’s no camping. It’ll be like SE games…
The games are being played in-season during FIFA windows.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL