We didn't lose the final because of tactics

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: We didn't lose the final because of tactics

Post by Coach »

@Tbite, to suggest Nigeria didn’t execute their game plan, evidenced by the discrepant application of pressure and tracking of runs, when compared to earlier rounds is to completely overlook two salient variables. The stage of the competition. The opposition. The one certainty was a full 12 rounder and some.

CIV were always going to fly out of the blocks, this was most likely expected. The low block (defence and midfield) was presumably with intention of countering, however one need only look at the distances between zones to know what unfolded was disarray.

Off the ball it was a 5-2-3/5-2-2-1 evidenced by average positions, the lack of compaction exposed the midfield, rendered the press ineffectual and all else, much of a muchness.

Osimhen’s one man pressing gang was an exercise in futility. The fullbacks remaining just that creates a separation between attack and defence, making the attacking transition all the more markable.

The list of faux pas goes on. Tactically, it was as hot a mess as a mixture of berries, merengue and whipped cream in a fan assisted oven set to fahrenheit 911.
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

:evil: :twisted:
Hmmm.. .. what tactics are we talking about ??? :???:

We lost the finals for no simple reason other than the fact that .. . we were simply intimidated, we've lost the SE confident swag loooongest time ago !!
Jeez ... our boys were still playing intimidated even when they were 1 goal up with less than 45 mins to glory .. :blink:
Our pro players were cowards and our coaches were inept to wake up OR better say ...they were all "JUJU-FIED" !!! :drool:

Shame ... shame.. .. shame... !!!!! :woot:
================================================
Truth.. ..be told. ALL da Time.. . !!! :mrgreen:
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

icee wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:43 pm
Tbite wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:17 pm Peseiro's tactics were good enough to win the final.

We are making a very simple mistake. Nigeria did not get to the final because we were not tested.

The hole in the midfield was NOT a glaring weakness. It was NOT the issue.

Peseiro's team was not a team that played on the backfoot. They did not cede possession arbitrarily. They knew exactly what they were doing. They would let you keep possession where it was futile. Your attacks were never damaging as they would neutralise possession from the danger points.

Someone like Adringa was not really the issue, nor was Kessie. Peseiro's tactics does not fall apart under such plays. His tactics relies on immense sacrifice. Yes we lose ground, but not in the way that many teams lose ground.

We lose ground but ALWAYS make up for it. It is a high workrate team. I think his plan would have worked. Adringa and Kessie would have been dealt with, Haller would have never gotten service.

Nigeria didn't fail because of tactics. We failed because of management. I made the initial mistake to think it was mostly psychological or tactical. The game was lost in management.

Nigeria was the hardest working team in the competition, maybe in the history of the competition. The team that cedes the midfield but chases down every cross in the nick of time. That takes a monumental amount of energy. Energy that we didn't have by not using the bench, and energy that was made even more scarce when we went into extra time and penalties with South Africa.

Peseiros plan cannot work without an immense workrate. It is not an efficient model. It is why a low efficiency striker was the hero of the model.

The second we lost our legs there was no way we could win. Unless he changed the model, not slightly, but significantly.

The loss is Peseiro's fault. In fact, he should have seen the loss coming. We were distracted by so many things to think that we could have won. We lost before the match started. We didn't have the legs to carry out the plan.

Peseiro's reluctance to use the bench must go down as one of the dumbest decisions in football history. Many said that you don't change a winning formula. But this was not a normal team. It was a team built on outworking the opponent. You cannot do that without the bench. Osimhen cannot work that hard over 7 games, abdominal pain or not. Zaidu cannot work that hard over 7 games, hamstring or not. Nobody can.

You either play efficiently or you spread the workload. Peseiro's decision did not show low football intelligence. It showed low general intelligence.

Even the goal from Troost Ekong looked against the run of play to me. I don't think we were ever in the match...and that is obvious, because we were burnt out.

Those of you who supported not going to thr bench, made a huge mistake, and there were many of you. You played this thing like a sprint, when it was a marathon. There is no point talking about other teams, because we obviously played unconventionally. Osimhen worked harder than a normal footballer should. Simon worked harder than a normal winger would etc.

We thought our players were robots.....
Very interesting angle.

[1] The SA extra time game probably took a bit more out of our players

[2] I will recommend that we reflect on what happened between when the SA game was over and the kick off of the CIV game. How did we manage that time space, energy, recovery, emotions, expectations. I think this is a space we can learn a lot from moving forward as in what to do/not to do in getting players to the right mind set

[3] Related to the above, I'm not sure it is fatigue but what I saw was a team that wasn't in the winning frame of mind from the kick off. Perhaps looking like being hung over from a party the night before. Aina suddenly couldn't pass, Calvin who had been impeccable all through the tourney was making mistakes at the back. Lookman was MIA.

[4] I disagree with your point on fresh legs to be the solution although I can still change my mind. One of the worst gambles was to rest Simon Moses and play Chukweze. Resting Simon didn't quite turn out well.

[5] I will tend to think that there is a specific conditioning that goes with our template of play. If that conditioning falls short, then yes we will not be able to play with industry. Perhaps small detail like conditioning and #3 may be areas to look into. We played CIV the same way two games and this time, we were on our backfoot.
Question - What do you think CIV did differently?
I would agree that the players were gassed and perhaps Jose didn’t trust his bench. But there’s a reason he didn’t trust the bench - people like Yusuf came on and almost cost us the final. Aribo comes on and doesn’t do much. He should have used the bench more but hindsight is 2020 - would he even be in the final without the heroic efforts of his core players. And it’s a bold coach who will drop the players that got you to final. Even a half fit Vic still won the pen that took us to within 30mins of victory. The buck must stop at the coach yes. But given the materials he had I still think he did well overall
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Donadoni, now there’s a name for the ages. One word. Player. Beckhamesque long before David. More stamina than Leroy Long with 2 crates of Magnum spiked with dogoyaro.

Men have played this beautiful game beautifully.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

donadoni wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:04 pm
icee wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:43 pm
Tbite wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:17 pm Peseiro's tactics were good enough to win the final.

We are making a very simple mistake. Nigeria did not get to the final because we were not tested.

Peseiro's team was not a team that played on the backfoot. They did not cede possession arbitrarily. They knew exactly what they were doing. They would let you keep possession where it was futile. Your attacks were never damaging as they would neutralise possession from the danger points.

Someone like Adringa was not really the issue, nor was Kessie. Peseiro's tactics does not fall apart under such plays. His tactics relies on immense sacrifice. Yes we lose ground, but not in the way that many teams lose ground.

We lose ground but ALWAYS make up for it. It is a high workrate team. I think his plan would have worked. Adringa and Kessie would have been dealt with, Haller would have never gotten service.

Nigeria didn't fail because of tactics. We failed because of management. I made the initial mistake to think it was mostly psychological or tactical. The game was lost in management.

Nigeria was the hardest working team in the competition, maybe in the history of the competition. The team that cedes the midfield but chases down every cross in the nick of time. That takes a monumental amount of energy. Energy that we didn't have by not using the bench, and energy that was made even more scarce when we went into extra time and penalties with South Africa.

Peseiros plan cannot work without an immense workrate. It is not an efficient model. It is why a low efficiency striker was the hero of the model.

The second we lost our legs there was no way we could win. Unless he changed the model, not slightly, but significantly.

The loss is Peseiro's fault. In fact, he should have seen the loss coming. We were distracted by so many things to think that we could have won. We lost before the match started. We didn't have the legs to carry out the plan.

Peseiro's reluctance to use the bench must go down as one of the dumbest decisions in football history. Many said that you don't change a winning formula. But this was not a normal team. It was a team built on outworking the opponent. You cannot do that without the bench. Osimhen cannot work that hard over 7 games, abdominal pain or not. Zaidu cannot work that hard over 7 games, hamstring or not. Nobody can.

You either play efficiently or you spread the workload. Peseiro's decision did not show low football intelligence. It showed low general intelligence.

Even the goal from Troost Ekong looked against the run of play to me. I don't think we were ever in the match...and that is obvious, because we were burnt out.

Those of you who supported not going to thr bench, made a huge mistake, and there were many of you. You played this thing like a sprint, when it was a marathon. There is no point talking about other teams, because we obviously played unconventionally. Osimhen worked harder than a normal footballer should. Simon worked harder than a normal winger would etc.

Very interesting angle.

[1] The SA extra time game probably took a bit more out of our players

[2] I will recommend that we reflect on what happened between when the SA game was over and the kick off of the CIV game. How did we manage that time space, energy, recovery, emotions, expectations. I think this is a space we can learn a lot from moving forward as in what to do/not to do in getting players to the right mind set

[3] Related to the above, I'm not sure it is fatigue but what I saw was a team that wasn't in the winning frame of mind from the kick off. Perhaps looking like being hung over from a party the night before. Aina suddenly couldn't pass, Calvin who had been impeccable all through the tourney was making mistakes at the back. Lookman was MIA.

[4] I disagree with your point on fresh legs to be the solution although I can still change my mind. One of the worst gambles was to rest Simon Moses and play Chukweze. Resting Simon didn't quite turn out well.

[5] I will tend to think that there is a specific conditioning that goes with our template of play. If that conditioning falls short, then yes we will not be able to play with industry. Perhaps small detail like conditioning and #3 may be areas to look into. We played CIV the same way two games and this time, we were on our backfoot.
Question - What do you think CIV did differently?
I would agree that the players were gassed and perhaps Jose didn’t trust his bench. But there’s a reason he didn’t trust the bench - people like Yusuf came on and almost cost us the final. Aribo comes on and doesn’t do much. He should have used the bench more but hindsight is 2020 - would he even be in the final without the heroic efforts of his core players. And it’s a bold coach who will drop the players that got you to final. Even a half fit Vic still won the pen that took us to within 30mins of victory. The buck must stop at the coach yes. But given the materials he had I still think he did well overall
Given the materials he had or the materials he ‘chose’? Remember he had multiple months and friendlies and qualifiers to build his team, choose the players he can trust etc… He almost had to be forced to look at an alternative to Uzoho even as he kept making mistakes.

It’s the coaches fault if he chose players he doesn’t trust to execute a tournament so can never be a good excuse. You didn’t see other teams doing the same thing and burning out their players (CIV for example) and still won the cup. It’s down right irresponsible to not sub players when they are clearly dead tired and struggling on the pitch. Poor Vic had to basically sit on the floor before he was subbed. And you can’t say the subs available would have costs us games because the one time likes of Moffi and Kelechi were used they combined to good effect vs South Africa and we won the game with their efforts. Just stop making excuses for a rigid and stubborn coach who mismanaged his subs in this tourney.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

Dammy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:57 pm
aykwes8 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:45 pm

I agree . You lost because it wasn’t a 3rd place match
Abeg go and sit down! Your team, Black Stars, were camped in the same hotel with Nigeria and they spent all their time womanising access and someone who was lodging in the same hotel.
No wonder they crashed out in the first round! The goalkeeper was thinking of escapades and lost concentration in the last minute against Mozambique!😁😁😁😁
Still you chop 2nd we chop 18th . Not too much difference :taunt: :laugh:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

aykwes8 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:19 pm

Abeg go and sit down! Your team, Black Stars, were camped in the same hotel with Nigeria and they spent all their time womanising access and someone who was lodging in the same hotel.
No wonder they crashed out in the first round! The goalkeeper was thinking of escapades and lost concentration in the last minute against Mozambique!😁😁😁😁
Still you chop 2nd we chop 18th . Not too much difference :taunt: :taunt:
What is 18 minus 2? Olodo! :taunt: :taunt:
I am happy
aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

Dammy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:13 pm

2nd and 18th duka daya 🤪 18, 2 same shite! see :wink:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

aykwes8 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:40 pm
Dammy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:13 pm

:taunt:
2nd and 18th duka daya 🤪 18, 2 same shite! see :wink:
What’s the colour of the 18th place medal? :taunt: :taunt: How much were the Black Stars paid for finishing 18th? I’m curious! :lol: :lol:
I am happy