How about a Local coach with a foreign assistant

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How about a Local coach with a foreign assistant

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:54 pm

The inconsistency lies in the fact that you would have the player take a further step in his career before inviting him to the SE, but readily catapult the coach to the SE, rather than him start with one of the older youth teams....
Sorry, I dont see the inconsistency.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:57 pm

The inconsistency lies in the fact that you would have the player take a further step in his career before inviting him to the SE, but readily catapult the coach to the SE, rather than him start with one of the older youth teams....

:D :D

There's also discrimination against black players. But as we both know, they have much greater options, relative to a coach.

So, its not necessarily a greater case of discrimination against a black coach, as it is of much less options available to him.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:03 pm

There's also discrimination against black players. But as we both know, they have much greater options, relative to a coach.

So, its not necessarily a greater case of discrimination against a black coach, as it is of much less options available to him.
I knew you understood and agreed; thats why I didn't bother re-explaining. :D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:06 pm

Which circles us back to the original question: why catapult the coach but then subject the player to a qualification process?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:05 pm
Cellular wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:30 pm
maceo4 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:33 pm
I didn’t ask them to perform in Europe…can’t they start on their own continent? Who on the continent is seeking to hire Nigerian coaches? Let’s start there…I know for a fact that our league is not competitive on the continent and rarely makes a dent in continental competitions which speaks to the quality of the league and inherently the quality of the coaching. I saw how poor Finidis team was recently in the continental match we all watched here, his team was poorly coached and easily dispatched by Wydad home and away. There are no stand out coaches showing their pedigree back home, if there were it would be quite obvious…An Amodu was quite obvious, a Keshi was quite obvious…
You live in America.

If you don't know that the coaching fraternity is a good ol boy network then you must be living under a rock.

The reason why you don't see people clamoring for Naijarian coaches in the continent is because of the lack of network, connections as we call it.

Here in America, they knew they had a problem with hiring of minority coaches (black coaches) so they had to institute a rule in American Football called the Rooney Rule.

Talk to ex-players here or overseas and they will tell you that there's a bias and a big time barrier into getting coaching opportunities. Some players get lucky that they meet a manager who was willing to give them a flyer.

Mike Emenalo who went into football management got lucky. Met Avram Grant who hired him as a scout and trusted him enough and pushed him to become a football executive. Kolo Toure and Yaya Toure are some of the lucky ones who got a break and had former managers give them an opportunity.

Cote D'Ivoire just won the AFCON. Their coach was right there sitting as an assistant coach as the whole country watched the man almost fritter away an opportunity for them to win the AFCON. They would have stuck with the man... but it took a desperate moment for them to turn to their local coach and this was after they couldn't secure the services of Herve Renard.

You ask that the local coaches show their pedigree first by being competitive in the continent. It is an insincere or at best an ignorant statement when you know fully well that the reason they are not competitive is not for lack of coaching or talent but for a lack of RESOURCES. You are comparing them with teams that are well-funded.

When ENYIMBA of Aba was dominating the continent, they were doing so because they were well funded by a football mad governor.

Ps., try to watch the local league. You might be surprised by the high level of football being played. Don't let your bias cloud your ability to see that inspite and despite the environment, they are putting a good product on display.
Likes of Keshi and Amunike were able to get jobs outside of Nigeria, I guess they were part of the good ol boy network? If they could join what stops others?

You mentioned Ivory Coast assistant, and he has invested in his career, he has coaching badges from his time in Nice. At the age of 40 he’s already coached the Nice U-17 and U-19, and coached the Clermont reserve team. From there became coach of the CIV U-23 team before rising to assistant coach of the main team. He has his coaching badges and has invested in himself to learn the craft and thus was rewarded. He deserves to be where he’s at and he TOOK his opportunity and showed how good he can be. We took a chance with Oliseh and he didn’t take his chance? Worse is some people here are even calling for his return. And he hasn’t had any further success in coaching since he failed with us, so it’s very odd to hear his name mentioned. He doesn’t even coach anymore. But if you show us Nigerian coaches on the right trajectory and I won’t have an issue giving them a chance with the NT, but they have a responsibility to invest in themselves rather than just looking for handouts.

You are acting like we are against Nigerian coaches when all we are saying is show us the ones investing in themselves, getting the necessary badges, taking coaching seriously and attaching themselves to youth teams to learn and are showing progress. I don’t mind a Finidi, or Egbo, but there are not many others that look the part, maybe an Amunike can also be added to the list, but his Tanzanian team was really poor. He didn’t take his chance when he had it…

I do watch the local league from time to time and its is NOT a high level of football, quite the opposite if I may say. It can be entertaining but it’s poorly organized in every way from the onfield play to everything else…If you say it’s lack of resources that’s making them not compete on the continent then you are admitting the low quality of the league in general and if there is no resources to improve the league it permeates all aspects of the league including coaching. You will not be able to properly train viable coaches without adequate resources.
Mace

So are you willing to state that because there was a Black manager at Crystal Palace, that discrimination is over? I bet you have heard of tokenism? The fact that a few Black coaches are hired does not suggest that discrimination is over. Think of thus, the fact that a few Black's are able to purchase property in a high cost area does not disprove reclining.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:13 pm
danfo driver wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:06 pm

Which circles us back to the original question: why catapult the coach but then subject the player to a qualification process?
You already understand and agree to my position. No need to re-explain. :D
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:04 pm
iworo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:38 pm
  • 1X SPANISH SUPER CUP WINNER (Real Madrid)
This is FALSE! He has never won the Spanish super cup. Queiroz did.

He was the assistant coach and that counts for something (experience), right?
  • 1X UEFA Cup Runner Up (Sporting CP)
Is this a trophy?

So, coaching and getting a team to UEFA Cup final nah moin-moin??
  • 1X EGYPTIAN CHAMPION (El Ahly)
https://www.transfermarkt.us/jose-pesei ... ainer/1595

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%8 ... _SC_season

This is a LIE and I am not sure why it keeps being repeated. I have debunked this before. Martin Jol won the Egyptian title with Ah Ahly that year.

Peseiro coached Al Ahly from October 9 2015 to January 18, 2016. When he left them on Jan 18 2016, they were 3rd on the table. He was replaced by Abdul-Aziz Abdul-Shafi, who was caretaker. Abdul-Shafi led Al Ahly from 3rd to 1st position by March 1, 2016. He was replaced on March 1, 2016 by Martin Jol, who maintained Ah Ahly's position on the table and went on to win the Egyptian Premier League that season, finishing 1st.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

iworo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:23 pm He was the assistant coach and that counts for something (experience), right?
:lol: :lol:

So, coaching and getting a team to UEFA Cup final nah moin-moin??
Years of golden bronze and learning under **** has truly destroyed our fanbase. :oops: Imagine silver is no seen as a big deal.

P.s-- Roberto Di Matteo won the CL. I wonder why he is working for Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors, while no serious team will touch him :lol:
What are you doing? Are you actually trying to argue with me? :lol: :lol:

I am telling you that Martin Jol was the coach that took Al Ahly to the 15/16 title, while Peseiro was in Porto finishing 3rd, you are here posting fake information from 2 editable websites. Are we supposed to wipe our reality?? Those who were alive in 2015/16 can tell you that Martin Jol won the Egyptian League that season. Na wa o :lol:

Its like someone arguing that Tuchel did NOT win the CL with Chelsea in 2021 and that it was Lampard, who was fired on January 25, 2021, who won the CL in May 2021. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:29 pm
I didn’t ask them to perform in Europe…can’t they start on their own continent? Who on the continent is seeking to hire Nigerian coaches? Let’s start there…I know for a fact that our league is not competitive on the continent and rarely makes a dent in continental competitions which speaks to the quality of the league and inherently the quality of the coaching. I saw how poor Finidis team was recently in the continental match we all watched here, his team was poorly coached and easily dispatched by Wydad home and away. There are no stand out coaches showing their pedigree back home, if there were it would be quite obvious…An Amodu was quite obvious, a Keshi was quite obvious…
You live in America.

If you don't know that the coaching fraternity is a good ol boy network then you must be living under a rock.

The reason why you don't see people clamoring for Naijarian coaches in the continent is because of the lack of network, connections as we call it.

Here in America, they knew they had a problem with hiring of minority coaches (black coaches) so they had to institute a rule in American Football called the Rooney Rule.

Talk to ex-players here or overseas and they will tell you that there's a bias and a big time barrier into getting coaching opportunities. Some players get lucky that they meet a manager who was willing to give them a flyer.

Mike Emenalo who went into football management got lucky. Met Avram Grant who hired him as a scout and trusted him enough and pushed him to become a football executive. Kolo Toure and Yaya Toure are some of the lucky ones who got a break and had former managers give them an opportunity.

Cote D'Ivoire just won the AFCON. Their coach was right there sitting as an assistant coach as the whole country watched the man almost fritter away an opportunity for them to win the AFCON. They would have stuck with the man... but it took a desperate moment for them to turn to their local coach and this was after they couldn't secure the services of Herve Renard.

You ask that the local coaches show their pedigree first by being competitive in the continent. It is an insincere or at best an ignorant statement when you know fully well that the reason they are not competitive is not for lack of coaching or talent but for a lack of RESOURCES. You are comparing them with teams that are well-funded.

When ENYIMBA of Aba was dominating the continent, they were doing so because they were well funded by a football mad governor.

Ps., try to watch the local league. You might be surprised by the high level of football being played. Don't let your bias cloud your ability to see that inspite and despite the environment, they are putting a good product on display.
Likes of Keshi and Amunike were able to get jobs outside of Nigeria, I guess they were part of the good ol boy network? If they could join what stops others?

You mentioned Ivory Coast assistant, and he has invested in his career, he has coaching badges from his time in Nice. At the age of 40 he’s already coached the Nice U-17 and U-19, and coached the Clermont reserve team. From there became coach of the CIV U-23 team before rising to assistant coach of the main team. He has his coaching badges and has invested in himself to learn the craft and thus was rewarded. He deserves to be where he’s at and he TOOK his opportunity and showed how good he can be. We took a chance with Oliseh and he didn’t take his chance? Worse is some people here are even calling for his return. And he hasn’t had any further success in coaching since he failed with us, so it’s very odd to hear his name mentioned. He doesn’t even coach anymore. But if you show us Nigerian coaches on the right trajectory and I won’t have an issue giving them a chance with the NT, but they have a responsibility to invest in themselves rather than just looking for handouts.

You are acting like we are against Nigerian coaches when all we are saying is show us the ones investing in themselves, getting the necessary badges, taking coaching seriously and attaching themselves to youth teams to learn and are showing progress. I don’t mind a Finidi, or Egbo, but there are not many others that look the part, maybe an Amunike can also be added to the list, but his Tanzanian team was really poor. He didn’t take his chance when he had it…

I do watch the local league from time to time and its is NOT a high level of football, quite the opposite if I may say. It can be entertaining but it’s poorly organized in every way from the onfield play to everything else…If you say it’s lack of resources that’s making them not compete on the continent then you are admitting the low quality of the league in general and if there is no resources to improve the league it permeates all aspects of the league including coaching. You will not be able to properly train viable coaches without adequate resources.
Mace

So are you willing to state that because there was a Black manager at Crystal Palace, that discrimination is over? I bet you have heard of tokenism? The fact that a few Black coaches are hired does not suggest that discrimination is over. Think of thus, the fact that a few Black's are able to purchase property in a high cost area does not disprove reclining.
Not sure how you got that from what I wrote? I thought we were talking about African footie here?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:05 pm You are acting like we are against Nigerian coaches when all we are saying is show us the ones investing in themselves , getting the necessary badges, taking coaching seriously and attaching themselves to youth teams to learn and are showing progress. I don’t mind a Finidi, or Egbo, but there are not many others that look the part, maybe an Amunike can also be added to the list, but his Tanzanian team was really poor. He didn’t take his chance when he had it….
This is the strawman they consistently set up and no matter how many times you try and point it out, they will circle back to it. The other one they like to accuse you of saying is that no Nigerian can ever have the ability to manage the SE.
They will now claim “meritocratic” values and accuse you of having “limited ambitions” and being “brainwashed”.
Let’s not even talk about the WOWO slur.
Very disingenuous and extremely patronizing.

It’s just funny…and dishonest. :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:28 am
You live in America.

Mace

Not sure how you got that from what I wrote? I thought we were talking about African footie here?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Prof is breaking down for you the concept of ‘tokenism’.
Prof, do you really think you are debating with high school kids here?

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:00 am
You live in America.

Mace

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: he is, actually.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:00 am
You live in America.

Mace

I no want wahala with prof o, just seems he was trying to steer the conversation in an odd direction. Abi don’t we want our local coaches to take coaching seriously and invest in themselves, get the necessary badges, attach themselves to teams all around to learn their trade. So many former players are doing it all over the world and aren’t just waiting for handouts at home. You have to be proactive to show you deserve a shot…

I hail ones like Utaka, Toure brothers etc who could be lobbying their home FAs but they are investing in themselves to learn the craft first and can be good options in the future.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:01 pm The reality is that this type of talk often demonstrates the deep brainwashing of folks. First, there is nothing in football coaching that makes it impossible for someone from Agbalidi Inyi to acquite. Nigerians are in far more complex and challenging fields. Managing soccer is a lot less tasking than several fields conquered by hundreds of Nigerians. I just laugh. When Nigeria FF talks about hiring a foreign manager, those in tge know should realize that it is simply a CODE for embezzling funds and has nothing to do with issues regarding indigenous ability.
If coaching skills are in abundance in Nigeria, how come our club and national teams starting from U20 to the SE have not dominated international football in the last 10 years. Don’t tell me we don’t have the players, because you know that’s not true.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:43 am
Danfo

Ignorance is bliss. In the 1940s and 1950s, people also denied that racism existed. Yet people fought to open doors for equality. That door, NOW, remains shut for equality. Football is a clear example. It is inconceivable to state that the lack of access for black managers is because they are not good enough. There is absolutely nothing about football management that makes it inaccessible to Black persons EXCEPT an artificial racism barrier that has set up a gate.

What is mind boggling is Blacks citing one token here and there to allege that there is no discrimination. It is simply an utter shame. It requires a re-education on the meaning of tokenism for those who make such citations. It simply points to a lack of awareness and identification of INSTITUTIONAL RACISM and its contours.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:59 pm
Danfo

Ignorance is bliss. In the 1940s and 1950s, people also denied that racism existed. Yet people fought to open doors for equality. That door, NOW, remains shut for equality. Football is a clear example. It is inconceivable to state that the lack of access for black managers is because they are not good enough. There is absolutely nothing about football management that makes it inaccessible to Black persons EXCEPT an artificial racism barrier that has set up a gate.

What is mind boggling is Blacks citing one token here and there to allege that there is no discrimination. It is simply an utter shame. It requires a re-education on the meaning of tokenism for those who make such citations. It simply points to a lack of awareness and identification of INSTITUTIONAL RACISM and its contours.
EII,

I won’t be surprised in the least if most people here are in favor of re-colonization… and they’ll bend over backwards to justify it no matter how bad or demeaning it gets. I, quite often, don’t know wether to laugh or cry when our people claim that there’s been no development since oyibo left.. the same oyibo who didn’t build one single college or hospital for the common man. Ignorance is indeed bliss🤔🙂❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

"Dwight York doesn't know what he is talking about!"

-signed, Natives.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:04 pm :curse: loop
Danfo

EII,

I won’t be surprised in the least if most people here are in favor of re-colonization… and they’ll bend over backwards to justify it no matter how bad or demeaning it gets. I, quite often, don’t know wether to laugh or cry when our people claim that there’s been no development since oyibo left.. the same oyibo who didn’t build one single college or hospital for the common man. Ignorance is indeed bliss🤔🙂❗️

Cheers.
At work the other day, they made every employee watch a video on implicit bias. It was very revealing.
I wish Naijarians would watch such training videos.

We have our biases that we are not even aware that we unconsciously have them.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:19 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:04 pm :curse: loop
Danfo

EII,

Cheers.
At work the other day, they made every employee watch a video on implicit bias. It was very revealing.
I wish Naijarians would watch such training videos.

We have our biases that we are not even aware that we unconsciously have them.
Cell,

We are required to take the same training. People do not realize that we all often have those biases. Unfortunately, many believe EPL and other clubs objectively hire managers without realizing the effects of implicit bias. Fortunately some leagues like the NFL are beginning to devise methods to get around it. What Nigeria is doing is far more modern that the decadent process used by EPL clubs to hire.