Why the Hiring of Eguavoen as Interim Makes LOGICAL SENSE.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Why the Hiring of Eguavoen as Interim Makes LOGICAL SENSE.....

Post by Enugu II »

In my view, the NFF decision was not surprising. In fact, I would argue that it was the logical decision given the circumstance. Here is why:
1. The NFF thought it was in a negotiation to renew Peseiro’s contract given that Peseiro had not only met the benchmark but surpassed it which triggered a renewal. Remember the benchmark was a semi-final place at the AFCON but Peseiro got to the final.

2. The negotiation fell apart because the NFF’s first offer (reported by some of the media) was a low-balled offer. It was an offer of USD50k/mth which is exactly what he is currently being paid. Think of it – Peseiro had only accepted 50k a few months back which was lower than USD70k which he was contracted and was paid in USD. Further enraging should be the fact that given NFF and Ministry’s insistence that it will no longer pay the wages in USD, Peseiro was effectively to receive wages that was on a steep decline. Think of this: After placing a pleasant and surprising second at the AFCON!!
3. Given Peseiro’s quick cut off from negotiation, the NFF had only two choices as Manager: (1) Finidi George, and (2) Augustine Eguavoen. There were in fact no other choices given that the appointment must be interim and therefore must be from those already in the system. Why? The position was not permanent beut interim until the NFF proceeds on substantive search h for a manager. This requires extensive consultation with the Ministry which handles the wages and thus has a say on the matter.

4. Finidi George? This option is more complicated than the alternative. Finidi is currently only paid on PT basis and only when he is seconded to the national team. Remember, none of the Nigerian Assistant is paid full time based on a decision taken less than a few years previously to save money. Thus, to now hire Finidi as Interim National Team Manager means NFF must find money for his wages and yet NFF has not, as far as wee know, consulted deeply with the Ministry on this issue.
5. Augustine Eguavoen? This option is palatable and best one available based on the following – (1) They do not have to pay him any more than he currently receives as Head of the NFF Technical Department. (2) He has experience coaching the NT and did reasonably well with the team.
Given the above, it is easy to see the logic behind the interim choice of Augustine Eguavoen as Manager. In my view, the biggest issue is as follows:

a. With this appointment, the NFF must leave application for the fulltime position as national Manager open to both Nigerians and outside applicants. This creates opportunities for the likes of Emmanuel Amuneke, Finidi George, and Sunday Oliseh.

b. With the current issue around accessing funds which we all know is not just affecting the NFF but the entire country, the NFF will hire a substantive coach with an uninspiring record. Bet on it. In such a situation, a Nigerian, such as those noted above, must be given opportunity. They are more likely going to come with a better proclivity to do the job than any journeyman European or rising European apprentice.

Just my tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Penarity
Egg
Egg
Re: Why the Hiring of Eguavoen as Interim Makes LOGICAL SENSE.....

Post by Penarity »

It seems you work for the NFF, Chief Enugu -- their staff could not have done a better job.
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Penarity wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:02 am It seems you work for the NFF, Chief Enugu -- their staff could not have done a better job.
:D

The logical sense is to keep making the current part-time assistant coach become the interim coach while searching for a permanent replacement. The current players are familiar with Finidi, and Finidi is familiar with them.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Penarity wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:02 am It seems you work for the NFF, Chief Enugu -- their staff could not have done a better job.
I have ABSOLUTELY no affiliation with the NFF. I have simply put forward what I have subjectively and logically conjectured as plausible.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

This is not surprising..very Nigerian. Suffering and finding ways to excuse the cause of their suffering.

8 years of Buhari's poor governance is justified because Jonathan did not leave him everything in perfect shape.

Dangote Cement charging N17500 for a bag of cement is justified because Naira to dollar rate is high.

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:28 am In my view, the NFF decision was not surprising. In fact, I would argue that it was the logical decision given the circumstance. Here is why:
1. The NFF thought it was in a negotiation to renew Peseiro’s contract given that Peseiro had not only met the benchmark but surpassed it which triggered a renewal. Remember the benchmark was a semi-final place at the AFCON but Peseiro got to the final.

2. The negotiation fell apart because the NFF’s first offer (reported by some of the media) was a low-balled offer. It was an offer of USD50k/mth which is exactly what he is currently being paid. Think of it – Peseiro had only accepted 50k a few months back which was lower than USD70k which he was contracted and was paid in USD. Further enraging should be the fact that given NFF and Ministry’s insistence that it will no longer pay the wages in USD, Peseiro was effectively to receive wages that was on a steep decline. Think of this: After placing a pleasant and surprising second at the AFCON!!
3. Given Peseiro’s quick cut off from negotiation, the NFF had only two choices as Manager: (1) Finidi George, and (2) Augustine Eguavoen. There were in fact no other choices given that the appointment must be interim and therefore must be from those already in the system. Why? The position was not permanent beut interim until the NFF proceeds on substantive search h for a manager. This requires extensive consultation with the Ministry which handles the wages and thus has a say on the matter.

4. Finidi George? This option is more complicated than the alternative. Finidi is currently only paid on PT basis and only when he is seconded to the national team. Remember, none of the Nigerian Assistant is paid full time based on a decision taken less than a few years previously to save money. Thus, to now hire Finidi as Interim National Team Manager means NFF must find money for his wages and yet NFF has not, as far as wee know, consulted deeply with the Ministry on this issue.
5. Augustine Eguavoen? This option is palatable and best one available based on the following – (1) They do not have to pay him any more than he currently receives as Head of the NFF Technical Department. (2) He has experience coaching the NT and did reasonably well with the team.
Given the above, it is easy to see the logic behind the interim choice of Augustine Eguavoen as Manager. In my view, the biggest issue is as follows:

a. With this appointment, the NFF must leave application for the fulltime position as national Manager open to both Nigerians and outside applicants. This creates opportunities for the likes of Emmanuel Amuneke, Finidi George, and Sunday Oliseh.

b. With the current issue around accessing funds which we all know is not just affecting the NFF but the entire country, the NFF will hire a substantive coach with an uninspiring record. Bet on it. In such a situation, a Nigerian, such as those noted above, must be given opportunity. They are more likely going to come with a better proclivity to do the job than any journeyman European or rising European apprentice.

Just my tuppence.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

This is rubbish. A man that has failed at every level. U17, U20, U23 and now SEs 2x. Why are we like this???After Piss-Erro the logical choice would be Finidi. Dude is doing well with Eyinmba and is already part of the set up. Egu should not even have a job at the NFF. This is shameful from the NFF.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

bret- hart wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:47 am This is rubbish. A man that has failed at every level. U17, U20, U23 and now SEs 2x. Why are we like this???After Piss-Erro the logical choice would be Finidi. Dude is doing well with Eyinmba and is already part of the set up. Egu should not even have a job at the NFF. This is shameful from the NFF.
He was hired on an interim basis, relax my guy.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

It doesn't make any logical sense. They should have had a contingency plan. The team needs a long term coach.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

It doesn't make any logical sense. They should have had a contingency plan. The team needs a long term coach.

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

wish kain yeye be dis? :boo:
OCCUPY NFF!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:15 am wish kain yeye be dis? :boo:
:rotf:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Your statement that ”the NFF had only two choices as Manager: (1) Finidi George, and (2) Augustine Eguavoen” is strange. And you did a poor job trying to justify it.

If Finidi qualifies to be selected, why not Amuneke or any one of the coaches currently coaching a NPL club side?

Eguavoen should be retired. He has been tried and tested, and his performance has been subpar.

I think we can kiss World Cup qualification goodbye with this arrangement. Hopefully we will qualify for AFCON.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

“Insanity is doing the same thing and…”

I don’t even need to finish the quote.

It’s insane to hire Eguavon.

I love how E2 always looks for the positive spin on everything. It’s very healthy.

But if the NFF had $50k/month for FatZero, they had money. The idea that the best option was the option that didn’t require any extra payment is nuts. We’re hiring the NT manager, not a window cleaner, interim or not.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:59 am Your statement that ”the NFF had only two choices as Manager: (1) Finidi George, and (2) Augustine Eguavoen” is strange. And you did a poor job trying to justify it.

If Finidi qualifies to be selected, why not Amuneke or any one of the coaches currently coaching a NPL club side?

Eguavoen should be retired. He has been tried and tested, and his performance has been subpar.

I think we can kiss World Cup qualification goodbye with this arrangement. Hopefully we will qualify for AFCON.
Lolly

That should be clear. Should it not? Perhaps, a question or two to you would make ut clear?

Which one of them is currently acquainted with this team?

Who is currently under NFF payroll? [a] Amuneke or Egu? What's your answer?

Do you now realize why Egu and Finidi are named and not Amuneke?

Do not think the NFF guys are always as dumb as many of us on CE think. They sometimes are more logical than many on CE.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:28 am In my view, the NFF decision was not surprising. In fact, I would argue that it was the logical decision given the circumstance. Here is why:

Just my tuppence.
I admire your posts but this might be your worst take on CE. There is no logical sense to hire Egu as the coach. The NFF had zero plan for life after Peseiro. None of us including the NFF thought Peseiro was going to meet expectations (reach AFCON semi) so they should have identified his foreign replacement or set aside money to pay Finidi. So Egu is the choice because they don’t have to pay him from their budget? These dudes are amateurs. Someone should remind them how much millions they would be missing out on if we don’t qualify for the WC.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

packerland wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:02 pm

Just my tuppence.
I admire your posts but this might be your worst take on CE. There is no logical sense to hire Egu as the coach. The NFF had zero plan for life after Peseiro. None of us including the NFF thought Peseiro was going to meet expectations (reach AFCON semi) so they should have identified his foreign replacement or set aside money to pay Finidi. So Egu is the choice because they don’t have to pay him from their budget? These dudes are amateurs. Someone should remind them how much millions they would be missing out on if we don’t qualify for the WC.
Packerland

Unfortunately, it is what ut is. You and I may not like it but the NFF must react to the conditions that emerge.

I believe the NFF felt it could get Peseiro to sign. After all did Peseiro not agree to a major pay cut and as far as we know he may not have been exempt from local currency pay. However, that latter part is unclear to me. Thus, NFF possibly felt it had the stronger negotiation hand and it probably did.

However, to lowball the guy is plain ridiculous. I don't care what the economy is but why offer h I m exactly same wages after he won the AFCON? It makes no sense especially in a climate where the NGN had a frequently declining value.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:19 pm

Just my tuppence.
Packerland

Unfortunately, it is what ut is. You and I may not like it but the NFF must react to the conditions that emerge.

I believe the NFF felt it could get Peseiro to sign. After all did Peseiro not agree to a major pay cut and as far as we know he may not have been exempt from local currency pay. However, that latter part is unclear to me. Thus, NFF possibly felt it had the stronger negotiation hand and it probably did.

However, to lowball the guy is plain ridiculous. I don't care what the economy is but why offer h I m exactly same wages after he won the AFCON? It makes no sense especially in a climate where the NGN had a frequently declining value.
How? Once we beat Angola, that man’s pay went from 50k back to the original 70k. Anything else na cherry on top. They got lucky with their “take or leave it” negotiations with Waldrum. They thought it would work with Peseiro. What they have to understand is that while Waldrum’s team was impressive at the WC, his team didn’t do better than the Falcons did at the last WC with a different coach. Plus Waldrum has a full time gig. Peseiro on the other hand took us to a finals we haven’t been to in almost 11years. I’m sure he is ok with the 50k but having to split it with his assistants is ridiculous. Peseiro knows how much our players bagged for each stage they progressed at the AFCON. He wants a slice of the pie too.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

packerland wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:40 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:19 pm

Just my tuppence.
Packerland

How? Once we beat Angola, that man’s pay went from 50k back to the original 70k. Anything else na cherry on top. They got lucky with their “take or leave it” negotiations with Waldrum. They thought it would work with Peseiro. What they have to understand is that while Waldrum’s team was impressive at the WC, his team didn’t do better than the Falcons did at the last WC with a different coach. Plus Waldrum has a full time gig. Peseiro on the other hand took us to a finals we haven’t been to in almost 11years. I’m sure he is ok with the 50k but having to split it with his assistants is ridiculous. Peseiro knows how much our players bagged for each stage they progressed at the AFCON. He wants a slice of the pie too.
Agreed. It was a wrong move by the NFF. When I read that the renewal offered by the NFF was at 50K, I thought it was a ridiculous lowball. It does not make sense even if they were anticipating that no one else coming after Peseiro will offer more. But did they factor in that such an offer, if paid in Naira, was essentially offering a man who had just placed second in the AFCON a declining wage scale?

At that point, I would cut off negotiation whether or not an alternative exists. It was an insult, to state the least.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

He’s the only affordable option,they don’t even need to give him a short term contract.
He’s definitely not the best option but this is the NFF,I knew it won’t get better once the inevitable happened and Pesiero left in a professional manner.
After reports of late payments and every other thing you’d expect it was obvious Pesiero wouldn’t stay and the NFF would get a weaker coach.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:19 pm He’s the only affordable option,they don’t even need to give him a short term contract.
He’s definitely not the best option but this is the NFF,I knew it won’t get better once the inevitable happened and Pesiero left in a professional manner.
After reports of late payments and every other thing you’d expect it was obvious Pesiero wouldn’t stay and the NFF would get a weaker coach.
The man might be wack/average coach but he left in a professional manner. Watch, the next thing the NFF will do is release some negative information about him and the negotiations to the media to save face. Trust our NFF to say something like he asked for 140k per month and a private jet 😂
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:19 pm He’s the only affordable option,they don’t even need to give him a short term contract.
Certainly, the NFF under the current climate cannot possibly get a better manager.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:27 am
bret- hart wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:47 am This is rubbish. A man that has failed at every level. U17, U20, U23 and now SEs 2x. Why are we like this???After Piss-Erro the logical choice would be Finidi. Dude is doing well with Eyinmba and is already part of the set up. Egu should not even have a job at the NFF. This is shameful from the NFF.
He was hired on an interim basis, relax my guy.
Go and look up Eguavoen record with all our NTs. It's failure after failure. Dey play.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

There is no official announcement that Egu has been named the interim coach. So there is still hope. I slept on it and still feel like screaming. What a stupid move if it is confirmed. There is no logic to it. Since July last year we have needed a new long term coach. They told us they had some one else lined up. They even told us the guy they had lined up was not a local coach. So where is that new coach? Nigerians need to protest at the NFF HQ. This is absolutely nonsense.