Segun ODEGAMI Denounces colonial Mentality and calls for Nigerian-born Manager for SE....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Segun ODEGAMI Denounces colonial Mentality and calls for Nigerian-born Manager for SE....

Post by ohenhen1 »

I am confident if we give local coaches all the support they need. Which is allow them to appoint their own back room staff. Allow them to pick their own players. Schedule friendlies and etc. NIgeria is too talented not to dominate Africa. Keshi(RIP) proved it. Still don't know why Oliseh quit. And if a local coach fails, it doesn't mean the next local coach will also be a failure. Also if we can find a good foreign coach. Hire him. A good coach is a good coach. No more hiring foreign journey men coaches.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: Segun ODEGAMI Denounces colonial Mentality and calls for Nigerian-born Manager for SE....

Post by Bell »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:12 am
deanotito wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:17 am
ohenhen1 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:46 am
deanotito wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:46 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:15 am
deanotito wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:03 am I agree with Odegbami that we should hire a local, BUT he implies we’ve never hired locals before. We have and have had varying degrees of success. It’s not about colonial mentality really

On salary…the issue is that Nigerian coaches simply don’t command the kind of pay that foreign coaches do. The market for them is small, for a variety of reasons bordering on prejudice/racism. Should the NFF now pay $50,000/month to a coach whose next best alternative is unemployment? Maybe we should
It is colonial mentality when the NFF president said he will not even consider a local coach. Then goes ahead and hire a journey man coach whose only qualification is he is foreign. Rohr was the coach of Niger republic. Had a bad record. It would have made sense if the foreign coach was good.
You are being unfair to the same NFF president because prior to his hiring of the “journeyman”, he had hired local coaches….and the result was borderline disastrous
How was it disastrous?

Let us even admit that it was even disastrous, how can you then make a statement that you will not even consider a local coach?

It is colonial mentality. Go to Germany and ask any club in Germany if they will hire Rohr. Rohr only qualifications are he is cheap and he is foreign.

BTW do you know why Sunday Oliseh left the team?
Lol. Not this Sunday Oliseh drivel again. He said juju was chasing him

Btw, Pinnick appointed Amodu (briefly), Keshi (for a long period) and Oliseh (also for a considerable period).

Both Keshi and Oliseh flamed out with Keshi failing to qualify for the Nations Cup and Oliseh looking for pastors to pray for him. Then came Rohr
Dean

You have mixed things here. Are you certain Pinnick appointed all those persons? How?

Bros, the only Nigerian born manager for SE that Pinnick appointed was Oliseh. As for Keshi, Pinnick actively worked to get rid of him and finally succeeded after his initial move was foiled by the Presidency. Simply Google or check CE archives.

When we met with Pinnick in DC, he clearly stated that he did not want to appoint Oliseh but was persuaded by others on the Board. To be clear, he mentioned a specific name that I am leaving out from this forum. At least one other CE member was at that meeting. Let's be clear, Pinnick was not a supporter of a local manager.
AND LET'S BE CLEAR, KESHI DIDN'T "FLAME OUT"

After Brazil 2014, the NFF dithered about his contract in an attempt to replace him with a foreign coach notwithstanding his peformance. After failing to get their foreigner they fell back to him by which time it was too late to put an AFCON plan together. In any case, did Rohr's failure prevent the NFF for seeking another foreigner, this time Peseiro?
Bell
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

That why I know for a certainty that Pinnick was the worst FA president ever. I don't wish Pinnick on my worst enemy. How can a FA president not believe in a Nigerian coach? That man needed help. No wonder he was flying to UK every month looking for cheap UK boys who could play for SE instead of helping to strengthen our local league.
We have Pinnick in CE like VE who hates anything Nigerian. These are not Nigerians. They're foreigners masquerading as Nigerians.
I despise the man Pinnick for how he destroyed Nigerian team. We didn't win anything in any grade competition whether male or female under the Oyinbo lover Pinnick
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Dude, stop smooking crack. It's not good for you.

I guess you appointed Sunday Oliseh.
highbury wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:10 pm That why I know for a certainty that Pinnick was the worst FA president ever. I don't wish Pinnick on my worst enemy. How can a FA president not believe in a Nigerian coach? That man needed help. No wonder he was flying to UK every month looking for cheap UK boys who could play for SE instead of helping to strengthen our local league.
We have Pinnick in CE like VE who hates anything Nigerian. These are not Nigerians. They're foreigners masquerading as Nigerians.
I despise the man Pinnick for how he destroyed Nigerian team. We didn't win anything in any grade competition whether male or female under the Oyinbo lover Pinnick
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

1naija wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:58 pm Dude, stop smooking crack. It's not good for you.

I guess you appointed Sunday Oliseh.
highbury wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:10 pm That why I know for a certainty that Pinnick was the worst FA president ever. I don't wish Pinnick on my worst enemy. How can a FA president not believe in a Nigerian coach? That man needed help. No wonder he was flying to UK every month looking for cheap UK boys who could play for SE instead of helping to strengthen our local league.
Attack dog, you know it's an opinion right?
If you could read instead foaming at the mouth like an attack dog, Pinnick did not want to hire Oliseh
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Sheesh! While I understand that humans tend to rationalize things to align with their perspectives and agenda, but your spin is on another level boy :shock:!! It's evident that Pinnick stood out as an exceptional FA president. His tenure marked a significant leap forward for the organization, characterized by his adeptness in securing substantial funding and lucrative sponsorships for the teams. Moreover, the management of the SE team notably transitioned into a more professional realm under his leadership.

Cheap UK boys! :lol: It's increasingly common for FAs across the continent to explore talent outside the continent, including dual citizens. Is there any African FA that's not recruiting dual citizen players? In fact, it's challenging to find an African FA that isn't engaging in this practice. The Morocco FA notably stands out for its recruitment of numerous dual citizen players for their national team. Moreover, they have demonstrated a commitment to developing their sport infrastructure and local league, showing that the recruitment of dual citizens and investment in domestic football are not mutually exclusive strategies.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

iworo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:42 pm
Sheesh! While I understand that humans tend to rationalize things to align with their perspectives and agenda, but your spin is on another level boy :shock:!! It's evident that Pinnick stood out as an exceptional FA president. His tenure marked a significant leap forward for the organization, characterized by his adeptness in securing substantial funding and lucrative sponsorships for the teams. Moreover, the management of the SE team notably transitioned into a more professional realm under his leadership.

Cheap UK boys! :lol: It's increasingly common for FAs across the continent to explore talent outside the continent, including dual citizens. Is there any African FA that's not recruiting dual citizen players? In fact, it's challenging to find an African FA that isn't engaging in this practice. The Morocco FA notably stands out for its recruitment of numerous dual citizen players for their national team. Moreover, they have demonstrated a commitment to developing their sport infrastructure and local league, showing that the recruitment of dual citizens and investment in domestic football are not mutually exclusive strategies.
You got evidence, because na Federal govt dey sponsor the team under Pinnick.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

We still don't know why Oliseh quit his job. I do know Pinnick didn't want to hire him. Also wanted to get rid of Keshi and he did it. The NFF tell us they will not consider a local coach. Na foreign journey men mercenaries that are cheap they will consider. It is a sick joke. A disgrace. It is shameful. I am not against White foreign coaches. If you are a good coach. You are a good coach. And you should be hired. They should also treat their employees fairly. Instead of frustrating them. They should support them. We all remember how they even frustrated Oliseh during one of his camps he had preparing for I think it was CHAN. Local coaches have had to buy water. They don't pay salaries on time. NFF need to learn how to be professional. The painful part is black people after been discriminated against in Europe and etc come back home and again suffer the same treatment in Nigeria. Our own NFF is discriminating against Nigerians.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Bell wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:20 am
deanotito wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:03 am I agree with Odegbami that we should hire a local, BUT he implies we’ve never hired locals before. We have and have had varying degrees of success. It’s not about colonial mentality really

On salary…the issue is that Nigerian coaches simply don’t command the kind of pay that foreign coaches do. The market for them is small, for a variety of reasons bordering on prejudice/racism. Should the NFF now pay $50,000/month to a coach whose next best alternative is unemployment? Maybe we should
It is colonial mentality when the NFF president said he will not even consider a local coach. Then goes ahead and hire a journey man coach whose only qualification is he is foreign. Rohr was the coach of Niger republic. Had a bad record. It would have made sense if the foreign coach was good.
You are being unfair to the same NFF president because prior to his hiring of the “journeyman”, he had hired local coaches….and the result was borderline disastrous
How was it disastrous?

Let us even admit that it was even disastrous, how can you then make a statement that you will not even consider a local coach?

It is colonial mentality. Go to Germany and ask any club in Germany if they will hire Rohr. Rohr only qualifications are he is cheap and he is foreign.

Btw, Pinnick appointed Amodu (briefly), Keshi (for a long period) and Oliseh (also for a considerable period).

Both Keshi and Oliseh flamed out with Keshi failing to qualify for the Nations Cup and Oliseh looking for pastors to pray for him. Then came Rohr
Dean

You have mixed things here. Are you certain Pinnick appointed all those persons? How?

Bros, the only Nigerian born manager for SE that Pinnick appointed was Oliseh. As for Keshi, Pinnick actively worked to get rid of him and finally succeeded after his initial move was foiled by the Presidency. Simply Google or check CE archives.

When we met with Pinnick in DC, he clearly stated that he did not want to appoint Oliseh but was persuaded by others on the Board. To be clear, he mentioned a specific name that I am leaving out from this forum. At least one other CE member was at that meeting. Let's be clear, Pinnick was not a supporter of a local manager.

After Brazil 2014, the NFF dithered about his contract in an attempt to replace him with a foreign coach notwithstanding his peformance. After failing to get their foreigner they fell back to him by which time it was too late to put an AFCON plan together. In any case, did Rohr's failure prevent the NFF for seeking another foreigner, this time Peseiro?
Bell
Action speaks louder than words! Pinnick left Nigeria to meet Oliseh in London and appointed him as SE coach without any input from the NFF board! He even paid him three months salary upfront so as to prevent any outside interference in the appointment, and labelled him “ Guardiola of Africa”. I had a friend on the NFF board who confirmed it. The appointment obviously didn’t work out, so it’s no surprise that he was trying to distance himself from it.
Whatever he might have said in DC is bullocks!
I am happy
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

I don't know why you guys always argue in the extreme. Regarding Felarey's example, how can you compare the likes of Finidi, Oliseh and Amunike to a mama put cook when all these guys actually played at the highest level in Europe. They have the requisite exposure.

On the other hand, Enugu is saying the color of their skin is why people don't want them hired. This is false. The reality is that the many of these guys have not coached at a relatively high world standard level. Playing at a high level counts but it does not count as much as coaching at the highest level, since we are talking about a coaching job.

Having said all that, Finidi is my choice. He played at the highest level. I believe he was director of international football at Betis. He has had success coaching Enyimba. He has UEFA A license. He may not have coached at the international level but he has enough pedigree to be given the job.
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Schillachi wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:19 pm I don't know why you guys always argue in the extreme. Regarding Felarey's example, how can you compare the likes of Finidi, Oliseh and Amunike to a mama put cook when all these guys actually played at the highest level in Europe. They have the requisite exposure.

On the other hand, Enugu is saying the color of their skin is why people don't want them hired. This is false. The reality is that the many of these guys have not coached at a relatively high world standard level. Playing at a high level counts but it does not count as much as coaching at the highest level, since we are talking about a coaching job.

Having said all that, Finidi is my choice. He played at the highest level. I believe he was director of international football at Betis. He has had success coaching Enyimba. He has UEFA A license. He may not have coached at the international level but he has enough pedigree to be given the job.
Schillachi

The points I made are actually based on facts. May be you are ignoring the fact when NFF has specifically stated its pursuit of a direign coach. Is that not a discriminatory statement? Let me know.

For me such a statement is not only blatantly discriminatory but it should be unacceptable to all Nigerians.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Dammy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:56 pm
Bell wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:20 am

How was it disastrous?

Dean

Bell
Action speaks louder than words! Pinnick left Nigeria to meet Oliseh in London and appointed him as SE coach without any input from the NFF board! He even paid him three months salary upfront so as to prevent any outside interference in the appointment, and labelled him “ Guardiola of Africa”. I had a friend on the NFF board who confirmed it. The appointment obviously didn’t work out, so it’s no surprise that he was trying to distance himself from it.
I'M NOT AN NFF INSIDER, SO...

...I have no knowledge of what went on between Oliseh and Pinnick. But my post had to do with Keshi and what went on between him and the NFF because it was played partially in public view. The NFF kept Keshi twisting in the wind for an extended period instead of stabilizing things so that he could prepare for the AFCON. That's why it's unfair to say Keshi flamed out.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:40 am
Dammy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:56 pm
I'M NOT AN NFF INSIDER, SO...

...I have no knowledge of what went on between Oliseh and Pinnick. But my post had to do with Keshi and what went on between him and the NFF because it was played partially in public view. The NFF kept Keshi twisting in the wind for an extended period instead of stabilizing things so that he could prepare for the AFCON. That's why it's unfair to say Keshi flamed out.
Bell
Chief, unless you are really questioning the integrity of certain members of this board (and I’m not saying you are), one should not ignore or even dismiss information that is claimed to be coming straight from credible sources, thanks to personal contacts.
I mention this because on at least two occasions I have pointed you (and others) to information provided by indisputably credible sources.
But it seems people just refuse to update their information and prefer to run with age-old prejudices, regardless.

When you belong to a forum where one respected member describes Pinnick as “one of the best NFF Chairmen ever” (and cites his reasons), and on the same platform another respected member describes the same man as “the worst NFF Chairman ever”, then you know that there is too much sentiment and too many agenda-driven opinions saturating the environment.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

How was it disastrous?

Dean

Fair. I was mistaken then
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:10 am
Schillachi wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:19 pm I don't know why you guys always argue in the extreme. Regarding Felarey's example, how can you compare the likes of Finidi, Oliseh and Amunike to a mama put cook when all these guys actually played at the highest level in Europe. They have the requisite exposure.

Schillachi

The points I made are actually based on facts. May be you are ignoring the fact when NFF has specifically stated its pursuit of a direign coach. Is that not a discriminatory statement? Let me know.

For me such a statement is not only blatantly discriminatory but it should be unacceptable to all Nigerians.
Okay. I didn't know you were talking about the NFF alone. I thought you were talking about Nigerians in general, including folks on CE.

One thing to consider is that, will NFF think differently, if we had many Nigerian coaches coaching in Europe? Do you think they will discriminate against those types of Nigerian coaches? Also, NFF may also be motivated by corruption as they may be able to somehow get a bigger cut when a foreign coach is employed and is paid in dollars.
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Schillachi wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:09 am
Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:10 am

Schillachi

Okay. I didn't know you were talking about the NFF alone. I thought you were talking about Nigerians in general, including folks on CE.

One thing to consider is that, will NFF think differently, if we had many Nigerian coaches coaching in Europe? Do you think they will discriminate against those types of Nigerian coaches? Also, NFF may also be motivated by corruption as they may be able to somehow get a bigger cut when a foreign coach is employed and is paid in dollars.
Schillachi

The corruption angle is gaining traction in recent years and its root dates back to the experiences of Glenn Hoddle, years ago,when interviewing for the SE job. However, I often the idea that there is a single variable that explains an issue. In reality, there are multiple variables. I feel that there is a racially-tinted analysis that is also linked to the decades belief that an indigenous coach should 'understudy' an European. This tracks back to the late 1940s when a PE instructor from England led the technical crew of Nigeria and the mantra of "natives understudying" the European has stuck till today. It is something that Nigeria must strive to overcome.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics