Antonio Concecao - any takers?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Antonio Concecao - any takers?

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:38 pm
txj wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:26 pm
Surely there must be ONE EXAMPLE from the Global World of Sports that you can cite?

What was found wanting in the US is ACCESS for minorities. Do you know what access means? Do you understand the difference between ACCESS and HIRING?

The NFL reformed its system IMPROVE ACCESS. But nowhere in the NFL does anyone use open invitation of applications from all and sundry.

Nobody in the global world of sports uses open application process for hiring coaches.

What you have proposed is frankly a non-starter...If you went to any conference and presented it as a model for sports teams to adopt, you'd be laughed off the stage!
Nna I tire for you. We all (most) recognize that the hiring process is flawed. There's a bias. And something needs to be done to improve access. It starts with how do you get more minorities to be considered for a job. The application process must be equitable. You don't hire a recruiter who does not have a diverse reach and ask them to help you hire a candidate.
The issue when you talk about EQUITY begins with being able to identify a larger talent pool.

You have no idea how the NFL hiring process (management and coaching) goes. The NFL has identified that it has a problem. They have even gone as far as having a coaching intern pathway directed at HCBUs, working with NFLPA to have more ex-players go into coaching and management. They recognize it is a good ol'boy network. Owners hire people they know... coaches also hire people they know. NFL coaching internships now mandate coaches retain minorities to provide a pathway into coaching.

Hiring of a minority candidate has to be deliberate. It is what EQUITY is all about. You have to go and find them. And if you can't find them, have them come and find you.

You have always held out a belief that it is a waste of time expanding the pool... that what is 'unknown' does not need to be known or is not good enough to be known or worthy to be known. Because if it was, it would have been known.

The old system of hiring only the people you know hasn't worked in providing opportunities for minorities. That is why it needs to be fixed.

As usual you jump in without a clue and then spew rubbish.

The question I asked and which he is incapable of answering with anything that makes sense is his comment about hiring coaches thru an open application process.

There is NOBODY in GLOBAL SPORTS who uses an open application process o hire a coach.

The question I asked is not about access, which the Rooney Rule seeks to address. The question is about an open application process for all and sundry to apply.

That does NOT exist in any sport in the world. If you think I'm wrong then just give us one example.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:41 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:38 pm
txj wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:26 pm
Surely there must be ONE EXAMPLE from the Global World of Sports that you can cite?

What was found wanting in the US is ACCESS for minorities. Do you know what access means? Do you understand the difference between ACCESS and HIRING?

The NFL reformed its system IMPROVE ACCESS. But nowhere in the NFL does anyone use open invitation of applications from all and sundry.

Nobody in the global world of sports uses open application process for hiring coaches.

What you have proposed is frankly a non-starter...If you went to any conference and presented it as a model for sports teams to adopt, you'd be laughed off the stage!
Nna I tire for you. We all (most) recognize that the hiring process is flawed. There's a bias. And something needs to be done to improve access. It starts with how do you get more minorities to be considered for a job. The application process must be equitable. You don't hire a recruiter who does not have a diverse reach and ask them to help you hire a candidate.
The issue when you talk about EQUITY begins with being able to identify a larger talent pool.

You have no idea how the NFL hiring process (management and coaching) goes. The NFL has identified that it has a problem. They have even gone as far as having a coaching intern pathway directed at HCBUs, working with NFLPA to have more ex-players go into coaching and management. They recognize it is a good ol'boy network. Owners hire people they know... coaches also hire people they know. NFL coaching internships now mandate coaches retain minorities to provide a pathway into coaching.

Hiring of a minority candidate has to be deliberate. It is what EQUITY is all about. You have to go and find them. And if you can't find them, have them come and find you.

You have always held out a belief that it is a waste of time expanding the pool... that what is 'unknown' does not need to be known or is not good enough to be known or worthy to be known. Because if it was, it would have been known.

The old system of hiring only the people you know hasn't worked in providing opportunities for minorities. That is why it needs to be fixed.

As usual you jump in without a clue and then spew rubbish.

The question I asked and which he is incapable of answering with anything that makes sense is his comment about hiring coaches thru an open application process.

There is NOBODY in GLOBAL SPORTS who uses an open application process o hire a coach.

The question I asked is not about access, which the Rooney Rule seeks to address. The question is about an open application process for all and sundry to apply.

That does NOT exist in any sport in the world. If you think I'm wrong then just give us one example.
Txj

You seem limited to what currently exist. Are you not able to think about what is better. If the NFL thought the same way you are thinking they will be STUCK in the past because when they introduced what they currently use, no one else was infact using it.

Bros, innovative thinking requires identifying a problem which you admit there is one. However, you are unable to think about what to do about it. You just don't throw up you hand in the air and say, I ain't doing nothing because others are stuck in a similar rot. That , bro, never solves a problem. Taking action does.

What to do about a problem is where innovation comes in. For this issue, it does not even require excruciating thinking because football can easily borrow from the corporate world.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

EII,

I suggest you read what Danfo has written below so you can actually understand the subject that you have dabbled in...

danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:08 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:11 am
Uncle - EII, whats going on with you recently? I am actually concerned. No jokes/cap, I am genuinely concerned by the positions you are taking lately.

1. the call up of a Tanzanian based playerTanimu only recently went to Tanzania and please note that the 2 big clubs in Tanzania - Yanga and Simva - have been recruiting continent-wide recently and check out how they have performed in the continent. In any case, back to the subject. Tanimu has been a strong player with Edo Insurance for a while. I have just posted where he was named on the NPFL matchday Xi. He has been in stellar form for about two years with the club and only recently was spotted and transferred to Tanzania where you may be informed that regular pay is not an issue as it is with NPFL clubs.
Is he or is he not a Tanzanian-based player?
2. your comment that we should go to Eastern Europe and spread out legs.. i mean, wings, and bring in everyone we can find to show up to the national team and "fight for shirt."i truly believe that and has stated that for years. There is a reason for it and it is somewhat related to your previous question.Nigerian players simply chase the certainty of wages. They are not concerned about big 5 or big 7 or whatever. It is largely about where to get regular pay. Our scouting must recognize that. Nigeria is neither England or France where the league is often correlated with the skill level of a player. To think that of Nigerian players is to make a hell of a mistake. Now think of Nwabali and Okoye, how about their leagues?
2 things:

a. the National Team is not a scrimmage center. At some point, you guys have to accept that. "fighting for shirt" is such a horrific thing to say. I wouldn't say how i truly feel because that may come off as insulting and I respect you. However, we cant do scrimmages. Its actually insulting to our shirt for anyone to suggest that. If you want to make it to the national team, you perform at a high level at your club. Once you have done that, you will be selected on merit.

b. Your position actually highlights one of the biggest problems and the actual critical reason why Nigeria has failed to win titles for a while - MENTALITY! one of the ways - aside from talent and performance - to select a team is mentality. You look at the player and determine whether this player has the winning mentality to perform at a high level. If a player is going to Div 2, Div 3 or deep horrid back water leagues in order to focus on money, then that is NOT the player you want. If you take that player to a tournament to compete against players who are there to WIN, then you are in trouble. Did you watch us vs. Ivory Coast? Did you see the difference in mentality?

A player who wants to go for money is NOT a bad person. Such a player deserves to get all the money he wants to take care of his family and should never be spoken ill off. However, such a player should focus on his motivations and should NEVER see the national team jersey, not to speak of wearing it.
3. and now this? supporting this and refusing to recognize that coaching is different and the way you approach hiring a coach must be different from the way you hire generally.i certaunly believe this and i am shocked with your position given previous positions you have taken. Coaching is an old boys network in Europe. I am surprised that you are unaware of this. Note that the system of hiring is decadent. The system was used in the NFL gridiron, the system is undergoing change already. Note that NFL teams are now required to interview at leat a Black candidate. This creates familiarity. Second, note that an actual hiring of a Black coach now leads to an award of a third round pick. Why? It is a recogmition that something has to be done to repair a racially biased system. Are you not concerned that inspite of increasing production of Black players in England, that Black managers are hard to find? Is that not a pity?
I read your position before and frankly, I chose not to respond - mostly because I was tired last night. I dont think you understand DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) and how its implemented. You do realize that putting up a job post does not necessarily help to further DEI strategy, right? Many companies do it! They put up job posts, get all the CVs in the world and then they go on to hire the candidate they wanted anyway. This is the case, especially in the US, where there are state laws that actually insist that companies must list open jobs for the public to apply. Many of those companies do it to check the box and then move on with their preferred candidate.

A proper DEI strategy can work and be implemented in both instances. And when I mean both instances, I mean (1) when you hire a candidate by putting up job advertisement; and (2) when you headhunt. I will focus on (2).

When you head hunt, in order to properly implement DEI, you draw up a candidate of 5 highly qualified candidates. 5 of them would have the skills to implement your operations strategy; however, the 5 of them will form a diverse pool, based on gender, race, national origin, sexual orientation etc etc.. and then from that 5, you "interview" by having conversations with them to learn who is the best fit for your organization and your operations strategy. I have been involved in the hiring process under (1) and (2), so I know how this works in practical.

For football, head hunting is the best strategy because it is a specialty field with a specialty position (coach). Even the playing position, clubs and national teams do not put up job postings and asking for players to apply. :lol: Come to think about it, maybe thats why you are in favor of scrimmages and "fighting for shirt!!" :scared: :lol: Its a specialty field, so you look at your own operations strategy and then decide, "who in this field cant implement this strategy the way the board of directors/ Chief Executive wants it to be implemented." A good example is Barcelona and Ajax. They have a specific philosophy. They are rigid and their philosophy cannot and will not change for anyone. To properly implement that philosophy, they need to go out and look for a coach that is a fit!

Thus, my position about DEI in coaching is easily reconciled with my position here. Clubs and national teams should hire more minority coaches. And such hiring isn't threatened by head-hunting. There are many qualified minority coaches out there. Clubs should head-hunt them. Patrick Vieira was head hunted by City Group, Crystal Palace and now BlueCo Limited. Many black (minority coaches) would also tell you that they have applied and applied and applied and tried to "fight for shirt :lol: " and still they are jobless.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:49 pm EII,

I suggest you read what Danfo has written below so you can actually understand the subject that you have dabbled in...

Uncle - EII, whats going on with you recently? I am actually concerned. No jokes/cap, I am genuinely concerned by the positions you are taking lately.

1. the call up of a Tanzanian based playerTanimu only recently went to Tanzania and please note that the 2 big clubs in Tanzania - Yanga and Simva - have been recruiting continent-wide recently and check out how they have performed in the continent. In any case, back to the subject. Tanimu has been a strong player with Edo Insurance for a while. I have just posted where he was named on the NPFL matchday Xi. He has been in stellar form for about two years with the club and only recently was spotted and transferred to Tanzania where you may be informed that regular pay is not an issue as it is with NPFL clubs.
2. your comment that we should go to Eastern Europe and spread out legs.. i mean, wings, and bring in everyone we can find to show up to the national team and "fight for shirt."i truly believe that and has stated that for years. There is a reason for it and it is somewhat related to your previous question.Nigerian players simply chase the certainty of wages. They are not concerned about big 5 or big 7 or whatever. It is largely about where to get regular pay. Our scouting must recognize that. Nigeria is neither England or France where the league is often correlated with the skill level of a player. To think that of Nigerian players is to make a hell of a mistake. Now think of Nwabali and Okoye, how about their leagues?
2 things:

a. the National Team is not a scrimmage center. At some point, you guys have to accept that. "fighting for shirt" is such a horrific thing to say. I wouldn't say how i truly feel because that may come off as insulting and I respect you. However, we cant do scrimmages. Its actually insulting to our shirt for anyone to suggest that. If you want to make it to the national team, you perform at a high level at your club. Once you have done that, you will be selected on merit.

b. Your position actually highlights one of the biggest problems and the actual critical reason why Nigeria has failed to win titles for a while - MENTALITY! one of the ways - aside from talent and performance - to select a team is mentality. You look at the player and determine whether this player has the winning mentality to perform at a high level. If a player is going to Div 2, Div 3 or deep horrid back water leagues in order to focus on money, then that is NOT the player you want. If you take that player to a tournament to compete against players who are there to WIN, then you are in trouble. Did you watch us vs. Ivory Coast? Did you see the difference in mentality?

A player who wants to go for money is NOT a bad person. Such a player deserves to get all the money he wants to take care of his family and should never be spoken ill off. However, such a player should focus on his motivations and should NEVER see the national team jersey, not to speak of wearing it.
3. and now this? supporting this and refusing to recognize that coaching is different and the way you approach hiring a coach must be different from the way you hire generally.i certaunly believe this and i am shocked with your position given previous positions you have taken. Coaching is an old boys network in Europe. I am surprised that you are unaware of this. Note that the system of hiring is decadent. The system was used in the NFL gridiron, the system is undergoing change already. Note that NFL teams are now required to interview at leat a Black candidate. This creates familiarity. Second, note that an actual hiring of a Black coach now leads to an award of a third round pick. Why? It is a recogmition that something has to be done to repair a racially biased system. Are you not concerned that inspite of increasing production of Black players in England, that Black managers are hard to find? Is that not a pity?
I read your position before and frankly, I chose not to respond - mostly because I was tired last night. I dont think you understand DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) and how its implemented. You do realize that putting up a job post does not necessarily help to further DEI strategy, right? Many companies do it! They put up job posts, get all the CVs in the world and then they go on to hire the candidate they wanted anyway. This is the case, especially in the US, where there are state laws that actually insist that companies must list open jobs for the public to apply. Many of those companies do it to check the box and then move on with their preferred candidate.

A proper DEI strategy can work and be implemented in both instances. And when I mean both instances, I mean (1) when you hire a candidate by putting up job advertisement; and (2) when you headhunt. I will focus on (2).

When you head hunt, in order to properly implement DEI, you draw up a candidate of 5 highly qualified candidates. 5 of them would have the skills to implement your operations strategy; however, the 5 of them will form a diverse pool, based on gender, race, national origin, sexual orientation etc etc.. and then from that 5, you "interview" by having conversations with them to learn who is the best fit for your organization and your operations strategy. I have been involved in the hiring process under (1) and (2), so I know how this works in practical.

For football, head hunting is the best strategy because it is a specialty field with a specialty position (coach). Even the playing position, clubs and national teams do not put up job postings and asking for players to apply. :lol: Come to think about it, maybe thats why you are in favor of scrimmages and "fighting for shirt!!" :scared: :lol: Its a specialty field, so you look at your own operations strategy and then decide, "who in this field cant implement this strategy the way the board of directors/ Chief Executive wants it to be implemented." A good example is Barcelona and Ajax. They have a specific philosophy. They are rigid and their philosophy cannot and will not change for anyone. To properly implement that philosophy, they need to go out and look for a coach that is a fit!

Thus, my position about DEI in coaching is easily reconciled with my position here. Clubs and national teams should hire more minority coaches. And such hiring isn't threatened by head-hunting. There are many qualified minority coaches out there. Clubs should head-hunt them. Patrick Vieira was head hunted by City Group, Crystal Palace and now BlueCo Limited. Many black (minority coaches) would also tell you that they have applied and applied and applied and tried to "fight for shirt :lol: " and still they are jobless.
Txj

Would have helped if you specified the point that he attempted to make because he lists a wide variety of them.

In any case I will stick to one that seems appropriate here. Is he stating that the headhunting currently used in football is appropriate, given that he appears to like that option. I suppose you and him clearly understand the process of headhunting? Are you stating that the leagues in Europe currently use it? Second, that it has been effective doing so?

The above are simple questions. You keep skirting around it and pretend to answer it. What are you really afraid of? Simply state that it has been effective or not? Is that not simple enough? I will continue to come back to it as I will not allow it to be glossed over. This can then lead to elaborate discussion. Importantly, it helps a definig rational of your thinking about football and persons involved in it.

I suppose your persistent attempt to run away from providing an answer is a tacit acknowledgement that it had failed. If it has been successful, then I suppose you support the ideas that numerous Blacks like you are not up to snuff coaching football? Football? Onlybwhites have the superior brains to understand uts complexity? LOL.
Now, tell me that it isn't a ridiculous concept.

The point by Danfo that football is so special is so laughable that i will not dedicate a second to address it. To do so is simply unwarranted
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

txj wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:41 pm
wiseone wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:57 pm The biggest team he has managed is Braga’s reserve team.

The biggest team that Guardiola had managed before he was hired was the Barcelona youth team.

What you should ALSO look at is how his teams have played. Same for the Nigerian born coaches.

And how this fits into what we want and what players we have.
Your love for anything oyibo is unprecedented. Haba
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

If they appoint this guy. I will still support Nigeria. But my expectations won't be high so that they won't give me high blood pressure. Nigeria won't win anything with this guy. It is a waste of time. I will have to find another team to support. Nigeria will not qualify for the World cup. Even if by some miracle Nigeria qualifies. Won't get past the group stage. It is purely idoitic. The sad part is in 2030. They will do the same thing again.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:50 pm If they appoint this guy. I will still support Nigeria. But my expectations won't be high so that they won't give me high blood pressure. Nigeria won't win anything with this guy. It is a waste of time. I will have to find another team to support. Nigeria will not qualify for the World cup. Even if by some miracle Nigeria qualifies. Won't get past the group stage. It is purely idoitic. The sad part is in 2030. They will do the same thing again.
Ohenhen1,

Let me state that any one appointed from that list of managers will end up having a winning record simply based on the quality of players as long as you do not start off playing a challenging fixture as Peseiro did.

As I have stated several times, a large part of the record earned by Nigerian managers can be attributed to the quality of the players. In my view, Nigeria has repeatedly hired average or below average managers. I remain convinced about that. The only notable difference makers have included the likes of Keshi whose leadership was invaluable.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:24 pm
txj wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:49 pm EII,

2 things:

Txj

Would have helped if you specified the point that he attempted to make because he lists a wide variety of them.

In any case I will stick to one that seems appropriate here. Is he stating that the headhunting currently used in football is appropriate, given that he appears to like that option. I suppose you and him clearly understand the process of headhunting? Are you stating that the leagues in Europe currently use it? Second, that it has been effective doing so?

The above are simple questions. You keep skirting around it and pretend to answer it. What are you really afraid of? Simply state that it has been effective or not? Is that not simple enough? I will continue to come back to it as I will not allow it to be glossed over. This can then lead to elaborate discussion. Importantly, it helps a definig rational of your thinking about football and persons involved in it.

I suppose your persistent attempt to run away from providing an answer is a tacit acknowledgement that it had failed. If it has been successful, then I suppose you support the ideas that numerous Blacks like you are not up to snuff coaching football? Football? Onlybwhites have the superior brains to understand uts complexity? LOL.
Now, tell me that it isn't a ridiculous concept.

The point by Danfo that football is so special is so laughable that i will not dedicate a second to address it. To do so is simply unwarranted

He's trying to educate you on the fact that different sectors need different solutions, even while recognizing best practices, which includes integration of DEI measures.

Your problem is that you are stuck on advocacy for minority hiring without context.

First Nigeria does not have a minority hiring problem. That is in Europe and US.
In the NPFL, all our coaches are black.

For the SE, THE SUBJECT OF MY QUESTION AND THIS DEBATE, we also do NOT have a minority hiring problem. Our problem is hiring a coach that best fits our situation and being able to provide the appropriate conditions for them to be effective.

Secondly, on the issue of your minority advocacy on behalf of minorities in Europe and US, Teams can, and do include DEI considerations but as part of headhunting. What NO TEAM IN THE WORLD does is have an open application process.

Even the university you work for, does not go inviting all and sundry to apply when Howard University needs a president.

Its especially the case for football, with the needs for a coach being specialized as you move from one club to the other.

GETTING BACK TO NIGERIA, what is required from the NFF is to determine the qualities they are looking for in a new coach, then headhunt the best fit by developing a shortlist. Not invite open applications.

Read what Danfo wrote and learn the subject...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Txj

Again, please stay focused.

1] The discussion was never and not now about hiring in the NPFL.
2] The issue is about hiring for the SE and the mode used for such hiring.
3] You have argued that borrowing from the old boys network used in Europe should be the goal and I have argued otherwise.

Please do not make me ro constantly attempt to get you to focus on the issue.

Now, what Danfo has attempted to do is a nonstarter for me. There is absolutely nothing about hiring in football that you should absolve it from opening up access. If you or Danfo feel otherwise then let us know what makes football unique.

Importantly, I now have to conclude that you find nothing wrong with how managers are hired in Europe. I have a afforded you multiple opportunities to state whether the process is okay or should be modified.

You have persistently ignored it. I have no choice but to conclude that you find it acceptable inspits of the fact that many, including academics, have labeled it racialized. You accept the racualized process as it is.

Thank you.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:41 pm Txj

3] You have argued that borrowing from the old boys network used in Europe should be the goal and I have argued otherwise.

Now, what Danfo has attempted to do is a nonstarter for me. There is absolutely nothing about hiring in football that you should absolve it from opening up access. If you or Danfo feel otherwise then let us know what makes football unique.

Importantly, I now have to conclude that you find nothing wrong with how managers are hired in Europe. I have a afforded you multiple opportunities to state whether the process is okay or should be modified.

You have persistently ignored it. I have no choice but to conclude that you find it acceptable inspits of the fact that many, including academics, have labeled it racialized. You accept the racualized process as it is.

Thank you.

Thank you for recognizing the issue of discussion finally.

The rest is your advocacy on behalf of minorities in Europe/US, (many of whom you do not even watch! :blush:), so I will not bother with that.

OGN reports that the NFF received over 500 applications. Compare that to Algeria shortlisting 5 from headhunting and selecting their manager in less than a month from the resignation of the previous manager...

That's the difference between a serious organization and a backward organization!

Again read what Danfo wrote and see what makes hiring in football target specific. Similar to your institution, Howard hiring a President. They never put out an open application process...

That's why its called BEST PRACTICE.

Your so-called innovation is frankly laughable...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

LONDON — Last fall, Sol Campbell made a decision steeped in bittersweet catharsis: He would no longer apply for jobs as a manager in English professional soccer. It was sweet because it provided the Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal legend a measure of closure to a post-playing career filled with more frustration than joy. Bitter because admitting defeat is not in Campbell’s nature.

“I’ve been pushed into this,” he says with a sigh of resignation. Years of getting passed over for one job after another, he adds, “makes me not trust the sport anymore. And I’ve given so much to the sport.”

What’s worse, Campbell says, is how many of his Black peers have similar stories to tell — of authoring storied careers on the pitch, often enduring frequent and visceral racism, only to discover that the hard-earned reverence of the English soccer establishment stops at the palace gates. Many of those peers, like Campbell, have given up on trying to break through.

Now, for the first time, those aspiring Black managers and coaches have the data to back up their claims. According a study commissioned by the advocacy group Black Footballers Partnership and published in 2022, 43 percent of the players in the English Premier League, arguably the world’s top professional league, are Black, along with 34 percent of players across the three tiers of the country’s mega-popular English Football League. Yet across all four divisions, the group found, only 4.4 percent of managing/coaching jobs and 1.6 percent of executive positions in the game go to Black candidates.

“When it comes to management, we’re the forgotten men,” Campbell says. “The forgotten men of football.”

At 49, still fit and fashionable, Campbell retains the air of English football royalty, which he is. One of the greatest center-backs in the nation’s history — a stalwart of “The Invincibles,” Arsenal’s storied 2003-04 squad that went undefeated on its way to the Premier League title — he earned 73 caps for the “Three Lions,” as Englanders call their national team, between 1996-2007. When he rises from his chair and stretches his hand out for a firm shake, Campbell appears every bit the physical presence that once prompted Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to say of him, “It was as if he was indestructible, such a power spread from him.”

But since retiring in 2012, Campbell’s quest to remain in the game has left him diminished, at least psychologically. His two coaching stints, for financially strapped lower-tier clubs, yielded unsurprising results and were followed by years of rejection. And while he was bumping up against what the BFP calls the sport’s “grass ceiling,” White peers were getting better initial opportunities, climbing the ladder faster and receiving second and third chances, even after failures.

Campbell managed Macclesfield Town in 2018. (Jan Kruger/Getty Images)
“It takes so much out of your soul, your will to love a sport after being really, really excellent at it,” Campbell says. “It’s sad. If I had had three or four chances with a good club and a good budget, and I failed miserably, I’d say, ‘You know what? Maybe I can’t do it.’ But I haven’t had the opportunities of some of my [White] peers.”

Both the demographic math and the outcry will sound familiar to fans of the NFL. Football, the American kind, holds similar sway in the United States as football, the international kind, does over England, and the NFL has grappled for years with accusations of institutional racism for the disparity between Black representation on the field and in the head coaching ranks.

But there are both obvious and subtle differences between the situations, from the histories of the Black diaspora in each country to their distinct demographic makeups to how each sport is governed.

Perhaps most importantly, English football has a national governing body — the Football Association (FA), which administers England’s national teams and retains partial oversight of its professional leagues — that does not exist in American football. It’s a distinction that should — or at least could — make it easier to regulate the hiring practices of private companies.

But the FA “has completely refused to use that power,” says Stefan Szymanski, a University of Michigan sport management professor and co-author of the influential book, “Soccernomics,” who authored the BFP’s data report. “And it has far less of an excuse than, say, [NFL Commissioner] Roger Goodell. ... The FA has the power [to mandate]: ‘To be a football owner, you have to have a license from the FA. And one of the conditions of having a license is you subscribe to this mandatory [diversity, equality and inclusion] policy.’”

In both England and America, the bottom lines remain the same: Black candidates believe too often they are shut out of coaching and management jobs because of cronyism if not outright racism, leaving the distinct impression their sport values them only for their athleticism and physicality, and not for their intellects.

“We’re good enough to be the best on the pitch,” Campbell says. “The stats are there. Incredible athletes, beautiful minds, intelligent play, great defenders, goalkeepers, the whole game. But it doesn’t translate to managing. Why? We don’t have what it takes to be managers? It’s sad and crude, and almost archaic.”

Campbell (up) was a defender for Arsenal before turning to coaching. (Andrew Yates/AFP/Getty Images)
In an emailed response to questions from The Washington Post, Mark Bullingham, chief executive officer of the FA, acknowledged the slow pace of change, but said the organization’s commitment to improving minority representation is “unwavering.”

The lack of progress, Bullingham said, “is very disappointing and something we’re determined to change within our game.” But he added, moving the sport away from the “old recruitment practices that focused on personal networks” — i.e., cronyism — is “a longstanding challenge.”

Though no definitive accounting exists, the Premier League, which formed in 1992 and is said to be the most-watched sports league in the world, is believed to have seen only 12 Black managers (a role roughly analogous to a head coach in American sports), including two who only served as interims. The NFL, by contrast, will go into the 2024 season having had 28 Black head coaches since 1989, including six currently.

Two of the Premier League’s 20 clubs are currently led by Black men, neither of them native Englishmen: Burnley’s Vincent Kompany, a native of Belgium, and Nuno Espirito Santo of Nottingham Forest, a native of Portugal. In the three lower leagues that make up the EFL, only four of the 72 clubs at the start of the 2023-24 season had Black managers.

And while Black representation in managing and coaching jobs is in line with the country’s overall demographics — roughly 4 percent of England’s population identifies as Black — it is far below what is represented on the pitch. In the Premier League alone, 225 out of 527 players (43 percent) who appeared in games during the 2020-21 season were Black, according to the BFP. (Since determining how every player in English professional soccer self-identifies by race would be unwieldy to the point of being impossible, the BFP used photos to categorize players by race.)

Richard Masters, chief executive of the Premier League, declined an interview request for this story, and a Premier League spokesman referred a reporter to an earlier statement from Masters acknowledging the disparity and saying, “We need to do more about that... This is a continued priority for us.”

The Post also contacted 14 Premier League teams — including all nine with significant American ownership interests — seeking interviews with their owners or chief executives. Four responded by declining the requests; the others did not respond.

“It’s pretty awful,” Clive Betts, a Member of Parliament from the Labour Party representing Sheffield in north-central England, said of the disparity between Black representation on the pitch and on the touch line. “It’s a matter of systemic discrimination.”

It is a situation ex-footballers such as Campbell are trying to change. In 2021, a group of them, part of a WhatsApp group that got revved up during the pandemic, organized under the umbrella of the BFP. By leveraging media coverage, governmental interests and its own collective voice, the group has managed to thrust the issue into England’s national consciousness, at a pivotal time that finds the county’s national game at a moment of reckoning.

MANY OF THE BLACK PLAYERS who integrated English soccer in the 1970s and 1980s were the sons of the nation’s first wave of Black immigrants from the Caribbean — labeled the “Windrush Generation.” Named for the first passenger ship to arrive at Tilbury Docks in Essex, they were invited from British colonies in the late 1940s and 1950s to help rebuild England after World War II. What they found was a sport that wasn’t ready for them.

“People were openly racist,” says Chris Ramsey, whose parents immigrated from St. Lucia and whose 13-year pro career began with Brighton & Hove Albion in 1980. “You would hear it on the pitch, in your changing room, in the streets, in the shops — the N-word. That was normal. You’d get chased by skinheads.”

Decades later, with Queens Park Rangers, Ramsey would spend the 2014-15 season as the only Black manager in the Premier League, and only the third in history — a short-lived stint that so far has failed to lead to another opportunity. Now 61 and unemployed, Ramsey figures he is “putting myself at risk” for speaking out about the lack of opportunities for Black ex-footballers.

Chris Ramsey served as manager of Queens Park Rangers during the 2014-15 season. He was the Premier League's only Black manager that season and only the third in its history. (Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

Ramsey, 61, played 13 seasons as a professional, primarily in England, while being a frequent target of racist comments on and off the field. He and other Black former footballers are pushing for the Premier League clubs to hire more Blacks in leadership positions. (Christopher Lee/Getty Images)
“Metaphorically,” Ramsey says, “I’m still getting chased.”

It is a familiar feeling for those of Ramsey’s generation.

“We were the first generation of Black players,” says Ricky Hill, 64, who, as a star midfielder for Luton Town in the 1980s, helped lift the club to England’s First Division (which later rebranded as the Premier League). From ages 6 to 36, he says, he never played for a single Black coach or manager. “And we were the first generation of Black wannabe coaches trying to change the landscape again.

“This fight is so much harder than the first fight. In the first fight, my talent was obvious for those who wanted to look at it. But my talent as a manager is invisible. It’s based on perception.”

Younger generations have found the landscape as inhospitable as the pioneers.

Michael Johnson, whose 19-year playing career (1991-2009) included a nine-season stint with Premier League club Birmingham City, estimates he spent between 30,000 and 40,000 British pounds (about $38,000 to $50,000) to secure the licenses required to be a top-level professional manager in England — a lengthy, multitiered process with no real parallel in American sports. He’s since applied for more than 50 job openings since 2014. Yet, he says, he’s landed only seven or eight interviews, none of which included another Black person among the club representatives who interviewed him. And he’s gotten zero job offers.

“I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t apply anymore,” Johnson says. “I’ve been doing this since 2014, and the numbers [of Black managers] haven’t changed. I’m still sitting here talking about the same issues. And unless there’s some real interventions put in place, I’m probably going to be retired and talking about this same subject 20 years later.”

Michael Johnson, whose 19-year playing career (1991-2009) included a nine-season stint with Premier League club Birmingham City, has aspirations to coach in the Premier League. He said he has applied for 50 jobs since 2014 and has not received a single job offer. \ Mandatory Credit: Shaun Botterill /Allsport (Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

Like others, Johnson, who’s now 50, had to take an alternate route to remain in the sport. He first went abroad to manage, a successful stint guiding the national team of Guyana. When that failed to lead to a job in England, he took a position with the FA as a liaison between the English national teams and current professional players.

Ramsey and Hill spent years coaching in overseas pro leagues, too, while Campbell is starting an analytics-focused, online coaching program that he hopes to launch around the 2026 World Cup. None wanted to go those routes, but felt they had no other choice.

“I need a job. I need to work. Money runs out,” Campbell says. “I also want to fulfill myself. I don’t want to be 80 years old and say, ‘Oh, I should have done this or that.’ I don’t want to let my fire get extinguished by them.”

But that fatalism, while understandable, appears to be creating a doom cycle that’s difficult to break. The BFP report found that only 14 percent of prospective managers who complete their Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) professional license — the highest qualification and one necessary to be a manager in the Premier League — are Black.

Paul Davis, a Black ex-midfielder who spent 16 seasons with Arsenal, tried for nearly a decade to land a full-time managing or coaching job before giving up. In 2016, he joined the FA’s coaching development department, helping prospective coaches navigate the licensing process. From his insider’s perch, he sees the entire system as “biased against Black players going further in the game.”

“It’s institutional,” Davis, 62, says.

Both Johnson and Davis, as Black men employed by the FA, are measured in how they discuss institutional racism in the English game, and both take the optimistic view that they can do more to effect change from inside the game than from outside.

“The numbers are frightening,” Davis says. “I can’t just sit back and stay quiet.”

One other critical difference between the NFL and English soccer: While the NFL workforce is almost exclusively U.S.-born, nearly two-thirds of Premier League players and a little more than half of EFL players, both Black and White, are foreign born. At least some of them choose to return to their home countries after their playing days are over.

Simon Jordan, the former owner of Crystal Palace and now a leading television and podcast commentator on soccer, argues that makes the BFP’s data misleading. The share of Black ex-players who stay in England to pursue coaching, he says, must be significantly smaller than the 43 percent who make up Premier League rosters or the 34 percent in the EFL.

Simon Jordan with Hull City owner Acun Ilıcalı. (Mark Cosgrove/News Images/Sipa USA via AP)
“The [discrimination] issue is still there,” says Jordan, who is White. “It still needs to be addressed. But when you begin to pare those figures back a little bit, it doesn’t become quite as stark.”

During his 10-year tenure owning Crystal Palace (now owned by a group that includes Washington Commanders owner Josh Harris), Jordan says he changed managers nine times, drawing by his estimation a total of perhaps 100 applicants — but not a single one Black.

Meantime, it is believed only one of the 92 clubs that make up the EPL and EFL has Black majority ownership: Burton Albion in League One, owned by insurance magnate Ben Robinson, who is biracial.

“I genuinely don’t believe the English game is structurally racist,” Jordan says. “I would certainly like to see, and I think most people would like to see, the talent pool of Black players converting into Black coaches. [The issue] is how do you take away the hysteria, how do you take away the … agendas, and turn it into a grown-up conversation where people can get to the bottom line?”

But those who do see racism as a persistent and systemic problem in English football likewise have no shortage of evidence, even beyond what’s contained in the BFP data report, to bolster their case.

Following the final of the 2020 European Football Championship, in which three Black English players — Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka — missed penalty kicks in a crushing loss to Italy, the players were subjected to racist abuse online and on their social media accounts, prompting condemnation from the FA, then-Prime Minister Boris Johnson and others.

Later that same year, Greg Clarke, the chairman of the FA at the time, was forced to resign after using derogatory language about Black players (whom he referred to as “colored footballers”), south Asian people, LGBTQ people and women in a committee hearing before Parliament.

“It’s one and the same story,” says Bell Ribeiro-Addy, a Black woman and Member of Parliament (Labour) representing suburban Streatham, south of London. “We’re looking at a situation where people are clearly being discriminated against because of the color of their skin. … It’s particularly appalling in sport, because sport has always been meant to be a place of equality.”

England's Marcus Rashford in 2021. Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka said they endured racial abuse on social media in the aftermath of a loss. (John Sibley/AP)

Messages of support attached to a mural of Manchester United striker and England player Marcus Rashford. (Jon Super/AP)

People take the knee during an anti-racism protest near a mural of Manchester United striker and England player Marcus Rashford. (Jon Super/AP)
WHEN ENGLISH SOCCER decided to confront coaching diversity in 2016, it looked first to the NFL for inspiration, co-opting a controversial and mostly toothless measure in the “Rooney Rule,” which mandates interviews for minority candidates for every head coach opening. The EFL extracted even more of its teeth.

The results were perhaps unsurprising. Unlike the NFL, the EFL at first made its version of the Rooney Rule voluntary, with only 10 of its 72 teams signing on for the pilot season of 2016-17. It would be three more years before the league made the rule mandatory. The early versions also contained a massive loophole, allowing exemptions for clubs with only one, pre-identified candidate.

Meanwhile, the Premier League, whose 20 clubs represent the pinnacle of English soccer, has not implemented a version of the Rooney Rule. Instead, it has put in place a series of “schemes,” or initiatives, to address the same issues: the Coach Inclusion Diversity Scheme, a developmental program to train prospective coaches; the Professional Player to Coach Scheme, an accelerated program akin to an internship that provides candidates a 23-month placement with a club; and the Player to Executive Pathway Scheme, which provides similar support for players hoping to transition to front-office or executive jobs.

Les Ferdinand, 57, a former striker who scored 149 goals (12th all-time) during a 14-year Premier League career and later went on to serve as sporting director for Queens Park Rangers. (Joshua Bright/Joshua Bright for The Washington Post)
The FA, which oversees both the amateur and professional games, made its first serious foray into the diversity mission in 2020 with the “Football Leadership Diversity Code,” featuring hiring targets for diverse candidates across the professional leagues. But the code was voluntary, and only a little more than half of the 92 clubs in the top four divisions signed on.

When the FA released a report in 2022 saying clubs “exceeds targets of hiring Black, Asian and mixed heritage candidates” — with, for example, minority candidates making up 22 percent of new senior coaching hires — the news was met with puzzlement by many whose own experiences in the game told a different story. There was a reason for the discrepancy: the FA was only tabulating the data of clubs that signed onto the diversity code and self-reported their figures.

Enter the Black Footballers Partnership, which commissioned its own report, headed by the University of Michigan’s Szymanski. It told a different story, accusing the FA of creating “the illusion of diversity” without confronting the underlying issues.

“They claimed their initiative was making progress and being successful,” Szymanski says of the FA. “But we went through the numbers, and it was just completely failing.”

The FA backtracked, acknowledging in November that it is “falling short.”

Bullingham, the CEO of the FA, says the Football Leadership Diversity Code was merely the “beginning.” The organization will make the diversity targets and data reporting mandatory beginning with the 2024-25 season, he says, and he vowed to ramp up the FA’s efforts to recruit minority job candidates.

“Ultimately, clubs will choose the best person for the role — and rightly so,” Bullingham says, “but by ensuring that we have strong pipelines of talent and that long-term recruitment policies are in place, we will drive change.”

The scrutiny on the hiring practices of English clubs has also trickled upward to the leagues and governing bodies themselves. As the BFP frequently points out, neither the FA nor the Premier League has a Black person among its senior executive leadership.

“The FA is supposed to be the pinnacle,” says 57-year-old Les Ferdinand, a former striker who scored 149 goals (12th all-time) during a 14-year Premier League career and later went on to serve as sporting director (roughly akin to a general manager in the United States) for Queens Park Rangers. “If you’re supposed to be setting an example, you’re not setting a very good one.”

Nathan Jones, Manager of Southampton, speaks with the Sky Sports lineup of Mark Chapman, Les Ferdinand, Francis Benali and Shay Given. (Michael Steele/Getty Images)
Bullingham says 16 percent of the FA’s workforce and 30 percent of its board of directors are from minority backgrounds. “Of course,” he says, “we are working to further diversify.”

For years, the powers that run English soccer could count on a lack of political wherewithal from the Black coaching community. Whenever a compelling, first-person account of discrimination appeared in a London newspaper, it was destined to be forgotten quickly. The community lacked the size, power and organization to cause much trouble. It also lacked allies.

“It’s become so normalized that there would only be three or four or five [Black] managers out of 92 [teams], even among those who understand it’s unfair, no one is up in arms about it. It’s just part of life,” Hill says. “We don’t have allies. We have people who are sympathetic. But people who are willing to stand alongside us and take the actions necessary? I don’t think we’re there.”

The formation of the BFP in 2021 was a critical first step. Co-founder Delroy Corinaldi, a former political operative, public-affairs consultant and corporate strategist, has a contacts list full of government officials and members of the soccer media elite, and he has mined both to keep the pressure on the sport’s leaders.

English soccer leagues “have the best marketing campaigns around, in effect saying, ‘We need to do something,’ because they recognize there is an issue: ‘No room for racism.’ ‘Let’s kick [racism] out,’” Corinaldi says, citing two slogans used by English leagues to promote inclusion. “What we’re asking them to do is to not just recognize [the problem] and bring it into public consciousness through marketing campaigns. We’re actually saying, ‘Through your policy and procedures, do something.’ ”

Delroy Corinaldi, co-founder and Executive Director of Black Footballers Partnership, at Hackney Marshes in London. (Joshua Bright/For The Washington Post)
With the arrival of the BFP, England’s Black coaching community, a disparate group spanning generations and ethnic heritages, found a collective voice. Among other things, Corinaldi, a former soccer player who apprenticed in Arsenal’s vaunted youth program, has arranged face-to-face meetings for BFP members with high-ranking government officials and soccer leadership, including Bullingham.

The WhatsApp group with Black former players now numbers more than 200, and members frequently post news articles, words of encouragement and the occasional job opening. It has engendered a sense of unity among an otherwise far-flung and loosely bonded group. The next step is harnessing its collective power.

“Do we have the stamina, the staying power?” Ferdinand asks. “It’s great to have this group. But how far can we push it?”

LAST NOVEMBER, FROM A THRONE on the floor of Parliament, King Charles III, in his first King’s Speech as the British Monarch, broke a significant bit of soccer news: The government would soon appoint an independent regulator for the sport, to “safeguard the future of football clubs for the benefit of communities and fans.”

Part of a sweeping Football Governance Bill, the appointment appeared designed to avoid a repeat of the 2021 “Super League” fiasco, in which a proposed breakaway league threatened to upend the Premier League’s cultural dominance. But in the eyes of the BFP, the legislation, while primarily focused on economics, also offered a potential mechanism to force English soccer to fix its diversity problem.

“The only time we have seen substantial, practical advances in the last 50 years is with civil rights legislation — where you actually put it into law,” Szymanski said. “Putting regulations and laws in place is the thing that’s worked. But that’s the thing everyone resists now: ‘You can’t legislate for equality!’ Well, in fact, you can.”

Ribeiro-Addy, the Labour Party MP, points out England has “fantastic” equality laws, but the challenge is in enforcing them. A regulator, she says, could “hone it down to specific actions.”

“At the end of the day, if you want to operate as a football club within our country, you have to comply with the law,” she says. “And if we change the law, that’s exactly what they’d have to do.”

However, with the bill still to be written, even Ribeiro-Addy doubts there is the political will — or the votes — to empower the independent regulator with such wide-ranging, noneconomic powers. The current, unstable political climate in England also adds to the uncertainty

As a result, advocates are pushing for a “holding” clause — also called a “Henry VIII clause” — that would allow the regulator’s powers to be expanded at some unspecified point in the future when the prevailing political climate would permit it.

A Manchester City fan holds an anti-racism banner in the stands. (Clint Hughes/AP)

An LED board against racism at a Premier League match in 2023. (Naomi Baker/Getty Images)
“If we can get that in the bill, it might start to at least concentrate the football powers’ minds that is has got to do something,” says Betts, the MP from Sheffield. “It would signal to the leagues: ‘You’re on notice. Something is going to be done if you don’t.’”

One potential pathway: Since 2004, English professional soccer has operated under a “fit-and-proper person” test, whereby owners can be disqualified for failing to meet certain financial or conflict-of-interest policies. A diversity requirement, mandating specific targets, could be added to the test.

The FA, in its official response to the proposed Football Governance Bill, recommended the independent regulator endorse the diversity targets and data reporting that the FA will put in place next season. It didn’t address the issue of expanding the regulator’s power.

Meanwhile, the English soccer establishment is pushing, through both behind-the-scenes and public lobbying, to limit the independent regulator’s powers.

“I objected to the independent regulator because I believe in most industries, any regulation and over-governance stifles and kills entrepreneurial and commercial thinking,” says Jordan, the former owner of Crystal Palace. “And overregulation emphatically does that.”

But the Black ex-footballers agitating for change have already seen what happens when the sport’s powers are entrusted with policing their own diversity policies. They have been watching it play out for decades, and they have the mental and emotional scars to prove it. As much as they want to believe things will one day be different, their own experiences tell them not to count on it.

“There’s a lot of talk, but there’s no policies in place, really,” Campbell said. “It’s a circle that’s not being broken. Different characters talking, but the same outcome: nothing changes. The policies are there. It’s all written down. But that, and becoming reality, are a universe apart. And eventually, people like me will run out of time.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... diversity/
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:58 pm

Thank you.

The rest is your advocacy on behalf of minorities in Europe/US, (many of whom you do not even watch! :blush:), so I will not bother with that.

OGN reports that the NFF received over 500 applications. Compare that to Algeria shortlisting 5 from headhunting and selecting their manager in less than a month from the resignation of the previous manager...

That's the difference between a serious organization and a backward organization!

Again read what Danfo wrote and see what makes hiring in football target specific. Similar to your institution, Howard hiring a President. They never put out an open application process...

It is sad that you want to be intellectually insincere. If you don't want to recognize that there's implicit bias regarding the hiring process and something drastic ought to be done to correct it is rather sad and shameful.

Go on with your "Best Practice" nonsense.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

WOWO and colo mentality is real. Listen to this man. They should ask him what was Peseiro record before he was hired to become coach of NIgeria. This is the kind of people that is in charge of our football. Also how many players in disapora play for Senegal. Looks like they are going to hire a foreign coach and have warped idiotic reasoning for doing it.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The argument that Nigeria coaches are not good because they don't win CHAN or continental footbal; is stupid. The NFF don't invest money into the local league. Most of the players leave Nigeria because of poor pay. And the likes of Amuneke has had success at the regional and global level. Nigeria should hire a local coach. Even if that local coach fails, hire another, keep supporting your local coaches until they succeed. Don't be lazy and idiotic by saying stupid things like Amuneke can't do the job because of the players are from diaspora.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:22 pm
txj wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:58 pm

Thank you.

It is sad that you want to be intellectually insincere. If you don't want to recognize that there's implicit bias regarding the hiring process and something drastic ought to be done to correct it is rather sad and shameful.

Go on with your "Best Practice" nonsense.

We're talking about Nigeria so don't get it twisted and don't ramble...

How many Nigerians have ever been hired to coach the SE vs foreigners?

Let's base it on facts not empty talk.

Our problem is not implicit bias in hiring. Our problem is simply a lack of competency.