Benjamin Tiaminu - New SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Benjamin Tiaminu - New SE

Post by Lolly »

Meanwhile, if this guy was considered the main reason for the stingy Insurance defense in the NPFL in the last couple of years, how come he wasn't even in the preliminary and final CHAN squad that lost to Ghana just over a year ago nor the home-based Eagles that played Costa Rica not long afterwards?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:15 pm Meanwhile, if this guy was considered the main reason for the stingy Insurance defense in the NPFL in the last couple of years, how come he wasn't even in the preliminary and final CHAN squad that lost to Ghana just over a year ago nor the home-based Eagles that played Costa Rica not long afterwards?
Lolly

Don't you realize that coaches have their subjective decisions to make. Do you think that if Gernot Rohr was still manager, tgat he would select exactly the same players as Peseiro? Even CE members will not pick same squad. This is why we are all humans , each subjective. We are not machines that are predictable.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:22 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:15 pm Meanwhile, if this guy was considered the main reason for the stingy Insurance defense in the NPFL in the last couple of years, how come he wasn't even in the preliminary and final CHAN squad that lost to Ghana just over a year ago nor the home-based Eagles that played Costa Rica not long afterwards?
Lolly

Don't you realize that coaches have their subjective decisions to make. Do you think that if Gernot Rohr was still manager, tgat he would select exactly the same players as Peseiro? Even CE members will not pick same squad. This is why we are all humans , each subjective. We are not machines that are predictable.
Rohr and pesseiro might choose different players but the standard required to be on the preliminary list would’ve been the same. Rohr would never take a CD who just got to Tanzania to Afcon. Let’s stop pretending this is corruption.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Lolly

:lol: You dey try.

Those subjective decisions do not cover selecting a player that has not even being mentioned in the CHAN Eagles and Home-based Eagles while being the main reason for Insurance's stingy defence for a couple of years. Let's stop the pretense.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:04 pm
Lolly

Those subjective decisions do not cover selecting a player that has not even being mentioned in the CHAN Eagles and Home-based Eagles while being the main reason for Insurance's stingy defence for a couple of years. Let's stop the pretense.
No be today wey he don dey support or defend bad thing on the forum with “logic”!
I am happy
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

So all of a sudden you guys trust our local coaches to pick the best players? 😂😂😂
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Lmao what a thread. I don't even know what to say, so Amma just sit this one out
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Sunset wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:08 pm
So all of a sudden you guys trust our local coaches to pick the best players? 😂😂😂
I don't know but I see a lot of people here clamouring for local coaches. So we shouldn't trust them?

Meanwhile, we still don't know who selected this guy.

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:13 pm
I don't know but I see a lot of people here clamouring for local coaches. So we shouldn't trust them?

That’s the million $ question. Obviously, it was an administrative decision to include him on the list.
OCCUPY NFF!!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:04 pm
Lolly

Only that he has been an U-23 international and he was named in the NPFL team of the season last season. For this season he made the team of the week 4 times in 13 weeks before he left the NPFL.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

I think it's rather disrespectful and disgraceful calling Benjamin a Nigerian international, "this guy".

Our fingers are not equal, not all players will ply their trade in European leagues.

Don't understand the hatred towards him.

It's only a friendly match.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Doesn’t mean you have to trust “all” of them which is probably the disconnect you guys seem to suffer from like the same thing doesn’t apply to foreign coaches
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

This is a very tough thread to comment on.

Full Disclosure - Benjamin was brought to me in Lagos in 2017 from Benin as a young 15-16 yr old kid then to tryout for my academy. He trained with us for awhile but ended up going back to Benin. We were unable to work something out with his folks. I kept an eye on his career since and have been marveled at his rapid rise from the insurance youth ranks to becoming a mainstay in Insurance first team defense the last 2 seasons before his move.

Benjamin has been invited to the National team set up before, albeit U-23. I believe he was part of the ill fated squad that got eliminated from Olympics or CHAN qualifying by Guinea, so he is not new to the National set up. I was very disappointed with his move to Tanzania. This is another move from a somewhat high profile Bendel Insurance player that made no sense (Imade Osearenkhoe and Divine Nwachukwu(unconfirmed) are the other 2). It was rushed. The boy is just maturing, there was absolutely no need to go there.

Do I think he deserves a spot in the SE now because of his move to Tanzania? NO. I think there are many others ahead of him and this skip line thing that he has done is somewhat a shot from the blue; he really does not have friends in high places. Unless some things don happen in recent times that we are not privy to.

Anyway we siddonlook. Let's see what happens in camp.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Thanks Ugbowo.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Ugbowo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:05 am This is a very tough thread to comment on.

Full Disclosure - Benjamin was brought to me in Lagos in 2017 from Benin as a young 15-16 yr old kid then to tryout for my academy. He trained with us for awhile but ended up going back to Benin. We were unable to work something out with his folks. I kept an eye on his career since and have been marveled at his rapid rise from the insurance youth ranks to becoming a mainstay in Insurance first team defense the last 2 seasons before his move.

Benjamin has been invited to the National team set up before, albeit U-23. I believe he was part of the ill fated squad that got eliminated from Olympics or CHAN qualifying by Guinea, so he is not new to the National set up. I was very disappointed with his move to Tanzania. This is another move from a somewhat high profile Bendel Insurance player that made no sense (Imade Osearenkhoe and Divine Nwachukwu(unconfirmed) are the other 2). It was rushed. The boy is just maturing, there was absolutely no need to go there.

Do I think he deserves a spot in the SE now because of his move to Tanzania? NO. I think there are many others ahead of him and this skip line thing that he has done is somewhat a shot from the blue; he really does not have friends in high places. Unless some things don happen in recent times that we are not privy to.

Thank you, Ugbowo for clarifying. The move to Tanzania was not the best (unless he was going to Simba or Yanga). I respect your position of his suitability for an invitation even if I don't agree with you. The main lesson here is that these young players need guidance.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:36 am
Ugbowo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:05 am This is a very tough thread to comment on.

Thank you, Ugbowo for clarifying. The move to Tanzania was not the best (unless he was going to Simba or Yanga). I respect your position of his suitability for an invitation even if I don't agree with you. The main lesson here is that these young players need guidance.
Some of us don't agree with you and those who think he deserves the invitation. Show us some respect too.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:26 pm

I think it's rather disrespectful and disgraceful calling Benjamin a Nigerian international, "this guy".

Our fingers are not equal, not all players will ply their trade in European leagues.

Don't understand the hatred towards him.

It's only a friendly match.
That wasn't my intention bro. And I have not derided the guy in any of my posts, so stop jumping to the wrong conclusions.

My displeasure with his invitation has nothing to do with where he plays his football. The guy does not deserve the spot ahead of other players, friendly or not. Period! Feel fee to call it hatred.

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Thanks for the info. It’s a shame how talented young players are just rushed to sign contracts outside the country that impedes their development.
This reminds me of one of the best local players I have ever seen, Enyimba’s Valentine Nwabili, who was traded off to Sudan and his promising career stagnated. He had already played for the full national team in a friendly against South Korea in Seoul in August 2010 and didn’t look out of place.
If only he had been patient, I’m sure Keshi who took over the SE a year later, would have invited him and IMO, he was a far better player than Juwon Oshaniwa, who Keshi picked from the local league
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo

Thank you for the information above. It indicates his potential when you saw him, i suppose, prior to him joining Insurance.The lad was actually the mainstay of the Insurance defense that was dominant in the past season when Insurance led the league in the regular season before faltering in the playoffs.

Sure, he and a few others made surprising moves. I believe two of his mates went to the Middle East. It was a surprising move given his talent. However, as I have often stated these moves reflect social circumstances of livelihood and not about footballing progress. Nevertheless, Tanzanian clubs are in fact much stronger than what we currently have in Nigeria given the fact that they are recruiting continent wide. For an example, this year Tanzania placed two clubs (2) in the league rounds of the African Champions League -- Young Africans and Simba. Tanzania is one of only three countries to do so (Others? Egypt and Tunisia) in the league rounds of the ACL and Nigeria had zero (0). BTW, Nigeria, Ghana, and Senegal had zero! Those two are in the top two of their respective groups. See link: https://www.google.com/search?q=African ... st;fp;1;;; It is a reflection of the caliber of players and the fact that they are recruiting continent wide in hopes of challenging the likes of Ahly and Zamalek.

In any case, I like the fact that this lad has received a deserved opportunity. It is up to him to try to make the team.

Lets us all be up to date on developments in football in the continent. It is not STATIC. Just as country's develop, so also do players.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

While you may not say it, understandably, I CAN and I WILL!!

Agency representation is behind the call up...

That is what is the MAJOR REASON behind MOST invitations of HB players in the SE, U17 and U20/23 teams....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

txj wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:30 pm

While you may not say it, understandably, I CAN and I WILL!!

Agency representation is behind the call up...

That is what is the MAJOR REASON behind MOST invitations of HB players in the SE, U17 and U20/23 teams....and CHAN/Home-based Eagles.
In addition.

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

I don’t want to beat up on this young man but his invitation reeks of corruption. Whatever happened to building upon something? They tried to market Oliseh Ndah and he turned to be a decent prospect. Why is he not getting regular SE call up?
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »