Benjamin Tiaminu - New SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Benjamin Tiaminu - New SE

Post by Sunset »

Dammy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:11 am
Sunset wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:19 pm
Dammy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:57 pm I would rather he was invited as a home based player with Insurance rather than a no name Tanzanian club.
It damages the SE brand.
Stop trying to justify the unjustifiable! You can’t compare the Nigerian football brand with Tanzania globally.
Inviting players from the Tanzanian league, no matter their CAF position damages the SE brand.
The same Nigerian football brand that our coach called up a guy playing for YumYum fc? pls :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Some of us actually pay attention to African footie and understand how heavily they've invested in their league and it reflects in their performances on the continent. They're the only country who have two reps in the CAF Champions league knockouts
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:11 am
Sunset wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:19 pm
Dammy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:57 pm I would rather he was invited as a home based player with Insurance rather than a no name Tanzanian club.
It damages the SE brand.
Stop trying to justify the unjustifiable! You can’t compare the Nigerian football brand with Tanzania globally.
Inviting players from the Tanzanian league, no matter their CAF position damages the SE brand.
But Dammy, these are players that are being invited and not clubs or country. If Nigeria local talent is that bad, we would not have Nigerian local talents regularly selected by European clubs and some of that talent go to Europe and within just a few weeks and months move past local Euro talents produced in Euro academies.

The reality is that Nigerian clubs do poorly in the continent because local talents regularly move from Nigeria to Europe. If you notice, this is exactly the same story with Ghana, Senegal, Mali, Cameroon. Notice the correlation? Each of those regularly produce top local talents that do well in Europe but their clubs may be even worse than Nigerian clubs? Why?

Why is North Africa dominating at continental competition for clubs? Can you tell us why?

The point is that all these countries still produce top level talents that are still good despite the fact that most of their b we st talents are currently in Europe. Thus while it affects their ability to win consistently in Africa, it does not mean that good local talents are completely absent.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

Who was the SE coach when Bamayi was invited?
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

lacidi wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:34 am Who was the SE coach when Bamayi was invited?
Pisseiro
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

txj wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:54 am
The Okoye example is EII's red herring.

He was invited because we were down to bare bones in the GK department and ended up using a La Liga 2 GK in the WC.

And he was invited because he had good prospects and not part of a marketing scheme.
There is always an excuse to justify Okoye invitation like ('are bones in the GK department'). Once it's a player based in Nigeria or Africa, it's a marketing scheme.

We were never bare bones in the GK department, it's the excuse use to justify Okoye invitation.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:24 am
lacidi wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:34 am Who was the SE coach when Bamayi was invited?
Pisseiro
So Pisseiro, the European coach got no blame for the invitation. But when one of the best defenders in the NPFL (until he left a few weeks ago) is invited it is a marketing scheme by the black coaches. Did I get it right?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

[tweet][/tweet]
aruako1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:13 am
Pisseiro
So Pisseiro, the European coach got no blame for the invitation. But when one of the best defenders in the NPFL (until he left a few weeks ago) is invited it is a marketing scheme by the black coaches. Did I get it right?
You mean you didn’t complain? Many of us complained here on CE.

These players get invited, so it can go on their resume and help their move to Europe. It’s not a secret in the football circles. Even some overage players get invited and them dropped before final list. But guess what, they have it on their resume that they are a Nigerian international. It’s an old scam.

viewtopic.php?p=5859079#p5859079
Lolly wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:50 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:49 pm 4 MF 2 of them don’t even play at all, only 1 is in form.
What do we need Moffi and Onuachu for?
Bameyi in Ebuehi out. :rotf:
Bameyi has been in the U20, U23, CHAN and now SE within one year, all from playing for YumYum FC.

Nigeria I hail thee!!!!
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:32 am [tweet][/tweet]
Pisseiro

These players get invited, so it can go on their resume and help their move to Europe. It’s not a secret in the football circles. Even some overage players get invited and them dropped before final list. But guess what, they have it on their resume that they are a Nigerian international. It’s an old scam.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We complained then and are still complaining now.
And we all know it wasn’t really Peseiro behind the invitation. But he agreed to it and therefore it’s on him.

Otitokoro wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:24 pm 😂😂😂😂
What has his tucked in shirt got to do with anything 🤣🤣🤣
Seriously though, dude has been average at best. Not worth the hype.
Damunk wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:31 pm I watched him properly for the first time vs Argentina yesterday.
I've got to be honest, I really don't see the 'specialness' in this guy.

He must have some serious Godfather behind him to:
- Be invited to the SE camp
- Captain the FE
- Be registered with a non-existent club, Yum-Yum FC

Bamayi is pretty ordinary IMHO... with his tucked-in shirt.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=312869&p=5880143
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Pisseiro

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:49 pm 4 MF 2 of them don’t even play at all, only 1 is in form.
Bameyi has been in the U20, U23, CHAN and now SE within one year, all from playing for YumYum FC.

Nigeria I hail thee!!!!
Did "we" blame Pisseiro for corruption? It was his list.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:31 am
Pisseiro

Nigeria I hail thee!!!!
Everyone is guilty. The NFF who impose the players and the coaches who select them or accept an inferior player to be imposed on him. Peseiro should have queried the player’s inclusion if the said player wasn’t one of his players.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:42 pm
Pisseiro

Nigeria I hail thee!!!!
Everyone is guilty. The NFF who impose the players and the coaches who select them or accept an inferior player to be imposed on him. Peseiro should have queried the player’s inclusion if the said player wasn’t one of his players.
So we didn't blame Peseiro for corruption.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:16 pm
Pisseiro

Nigeria I hail thee!!!!
We blamed and criticised him for a dodgy selection. But you never did. As far as you were concerned, there was nothing wrong with the selection, just like the selection of Tiaminu.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:29 pm

Pisseiro

Nigeria I hail thee!!!!
We blamed and criticised him for a dodgy selection. But you never did. As far as you were concerned, there was nothing wrong with the selection, just like the selection of Tiaminu.
Lolly

This criticism is simply based on the fact that this player is locally based. Nothing more. Have you watched him play? Do you realize that for the last couple of years he has been considered the main reason for the stingy Insurance defense in the NPFL?

In my view, he deserves to be invited to contest for a spot. As I have noted severally, the NOFL should never be ignored. From time to time, there could be a player or two capable of making the SE.

If we focus just on Europe, we would never have unearthed Nwabali. You do realize that, don't you? scouting anywhere in the world and for several reasons is not as perfect as we may think. Inspite of all the science and data in America, for example, identifying excellent players us by far from perfect. Sometimes, I feel that most of us here need to study the b ine systems of the world to understand that human knowledge is barely scratching the surface. There are zillions of things yet unknown.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

From the highlights he looks like a tough tackling defender that can make long passes. Suprised he was invited over Ogbu or Torunarigha. However, we'll see whether he justifies his invitation.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

olu wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:40 pm From the highlights he looks like a tough tackling defender that can make long passes. Suprised he was invited over Ogbu or Torunarigha. However, we'll see whether he justifies his invitation.
Boom!! That is all that should matter. Let him come and prove himself. Nothing more and nothing less. An invitation hardly constitutes a certification that he belongs permanently on the team. In my view, his invitation is by far more justified that the initial invitation of Maduka Okoye who was then in a semi-pro league and had to be given a national team coach to coach him up. That, in my view, reeks of favoritism more than anything in this case. The angst here simply is that a player not in Europe and not known to CE guys was invited.

Yet, we have a few kids locally who play for the Nigeria U20 and suddenly we realize how good they are and we begin to rave about then. Go figure? Some of those are not even a ble to get into NPFL teams for a while. My conclusion, therefore, is that we think only those that we become familiar with should be invited. Well, there is news for you? Your scouting us limited. There are scouts with wider networks who know far more players than most on CE.

Well, at tge bear minimum begin to pay attention to Sunset'as posts. They are here in CE and about the local NPFL.

BTW, he identifies several youngsters even at academy level before they show up in clubs in Europe and suddenly every other CE jumps on them as soon as they get to Europe. Start to pay attention, folks!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Pisseiro

Nigeria I hail thee!!!!
Your last sentence is a very wild reach as it assumes that I knew about the selection when it happened or that I was even active on CE then (I was not regular here for a while). Let us even say that is true, it has nothing to do with my post. For those of you that blamed and criticised him, did they accuse him of corruption?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:38 pm

Nigeria I hail thee!!!!
Lolly

This criticism is simply based on the fact that this player is locally based. Nothing more. Have you watched him play? Do you realize that for the last couple of years he has been considered the main reason for the stingy Insurance defense in the NPFL?

In my view, he deserves to be invited to contest for a spot. As I have noted severally, the NOFL should never be ignored. From time to time, there could be a player or two capable of making the SE.

If we focus just on Europe, we would never have unearthed Nwabali. You do realize that, don't you? scouting anywhere in the world and for several reasons is not as perfect as we may think. Inspite of all the science and data in America, for example, identifying excellent players us by far from perfect. Sometimes, I feel that most of us here need to study the b ine systems of the world to understand that human knowledge is barely scratching the surface. There are zillions of things yet unknown.
You are spot on. They were very reluctant to accuse Peseiro of corruption when he picked a player from Yum Yum FC, a club nobody knew in Nigeria. But the selection of someone who until a few weeks ago, was one of the best defenders in the league, has drawn the usual cries of corruption because the incorruptible white man has gone.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Oh wow!
Not sure whether to laugh or cry at your response, which is extremely disappointing!
It was highlighted that Ogbu was skipped over for this no-name nobody and the best argument you can come up with is that his invite, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, is more justified in comparison to Okoye’s??? Seriously??? Is Nigeria currently in a situation where there is a dearth of good defensemen? Common now, Prof?
Tough tackler and good with long passes? Is that what’s needed based on the football Nigeria is currently playing, or do we need intellectually capable defenders who are great passers of the ball out of defence? The ground game reigns supreme now, not ‘police ball’.
It is little wonder he ended up in Tanzania (of all places!!!) and not South Africa. Even the very best Tanzania players have move to other leagues, primarily SA.
This pick clearly has Eguavoen written all over it and falls in line with his consistently dumb decision making over the years.
This was the time to have given Ogbu a shot, not some no-name nobody who would disappear faster than he appeared. Remember how you sang the praises of Anayo Iwuala? Faded into oblivion as quickly as he came, didn’t he?
This guy is a complete waste of space and time!
Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:45 pm
Boom!! That is all that should matter. Let him come and prove himself. Nothing more and nothing less. An invitation hardly constitutes a certification that he belongs permanently on the team. In my view, his invitation is by far more justified that the initial invitation of Maduka Okoye who was then in a semi-pro league and had to be given a national team coach to coach him up. That, in my view, reeks of favoritism more than anything in this case. The angst here simply is that a player not in Europe and not known to CE guys was invited.

Yet, we have a few kids locally who play for the Nigeria U20 and suddenly we realize how good they are and we begin to rave about then. Go figure? Some of those are not even a ble to get into NPFL teams for a while. My conclusion, therefore, is that we think only those that we become familiar with should be invited. Well, there is news for you? Your scouting us limited. There are scouts with wider networks who know far more players than most on CE.

Well, at tge bear minimum begin to pay attention to Sunset'as posts. They are here in CE and about the local NPFL.

BTW, he identifies several youngsters even at academy level before they show up in clubs in Europe and suddenly every other CE jumps on them as soon as they get to Europe. Start to pay attention, folks!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Nigeria I hail thee!!!!
Lolly

Quick question, who invited him? What happened to the other defenders who were named in the preliminary squad for AFCON? Why does Tiaminu deserve to be selected above them?

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:50 pm

Lolly

Quick question, who invited him? What happened to the other defenders who were named in the preliminary squad for AFCON? Why does Tiaminu deserve to be selected above them?
Lolly,

So your assumption is that preliminary list is an infallible one? Okay, let me ask you -- Was Gabriel Osho on that list? Please let us know. Why should anyone including Peseiro be married to a list issued perhaps last year? Osho deserves to be on this call up whether he was in AFCON preliminary list or not. Same applies to Tianamu. What do you think?
Last edited by Enugu II on Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:26 pm

Lolly

Lolly,

So your assumption is that preliminary list is an infallible one? Why should anyone including Peseiro be married to a list issued perhaps last year?
So half of the defenders in the preliminary squad suddenly dropped out of reckoning and behind Tiaminu?

Again, who really invited him? Who did the scouting on him and invited him this time round?

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Lolly

Lolly,

So your assumption is that preliminary list is an infallible one? Why should anyone including Peseiro be married to a list issued perhaps last year?
So half of the defenders in the preliminary squad suddenly dropped out of reckoning and behind Tiaminu?

Again, who really invited him? Who did the scouting on him and invited him this time round?
Not just behind Tianamu but also behind Osho. Do you think based on your point here that Osho should be called up?

I have mentioned Osho here to point out clearly that your argument does not follow. If it does then you should also argue against Osho's invitation since he was not on the same provisional list.

However, I really do not care diddly about a preliminary list issued months ago! Even at the time it was issued, what makes you think those were indeed the best 40 or so players Nigeria can select from?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:37 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Lolly

Lolly,

Not just behind Tianamu but also behind Osho. Do you think based on your point here that Osho should be called up?

I have mentioned Osho here to point out clearly that your argument does not follow. If it does then you should also argue against Osho's invitation since he was not on the same provisional list.

However, I really do not care diddly about a preliminary list issued months ago! Even at the time it was issued, what makes you think those were indeed the best 40 or so players Nigeria can select from?
I am not really a fan of Osho but he is playing regularly at a higher level than Tiamin.

The big question for me is still who made the decision to invite him? I would like to hear their reasons. I won't be surprised if it is for the same reasons Bamayi was invited. To assess him. :lol: