FIFA makes big changes to U-17 World Cup, Qatar to host next five editions

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

World football governing body FIFA have announced some big changes to the Under-17 World Cup, one of which will see the competition held yearly, Soccernet.ng reports.

The U-17 FIFA World Cup is one of the competitions initiated by the world governing football body to aid the development of football across several countries.

Nigeria has the record-highest number of trophies in the male category with five titles, winning it in 1985, 1993, 2007, 2013, and 2015. Conversely, the female team has never won the competition, with their best performance coming at the 2022 edition, when they finished third

Usually, the competition is held every two years for the male and female categories. For the male category, a total of 24 teams participate in the competition, while 16 countries play in the female category.

However, FIFA have made some big changes in how the competition will be from next year. According to reports on Thursday evening, the male and female competitions will now be held annually.

They also announced that from 2025, Qatar will host the next five male competitions until 2029. On the other hand, Morocco will host the female for the next five years.

On the reason for the decision, FIFA President Gianni Infantino stated that hosting the female U-17 World Cup could inspire more youngsters to start playing football on the continent.
“I believe hosting the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup over five years will inspire so many more girls – and boys – to take up football in the country, and as it is the first time the tournament comes to Africa, that inspiration will spread right across the continent,” he said.
Another significant change to the competitions is the number of participating teams. The number of participating countries for the male category has been increased from 24 to 48. On the other hand, the female category has been increased from 16 to 24.

Nigeria hosted the male under-17 World Cup in 2009, but it will be the first time the female game is coming to Africa.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/03/fifa-makes ... tions.html
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: FIFA makes big changes to U-17 World Cup, Qatar to host next five editions

Post by Lolly »

Hosing it yearly would be good for us. The work of unearthing new and young talent can now be continuous. No more start and stops.

Well, as long as we don’t start off with many 14 years olds so they can play 3 tournaments in a row. I trust my people.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Lolly wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:28 pm Hosing it yearly would be good for us. The work of unearthing new and young talent can now be continuous. No more start and stops.

Well, as long as we don’t start off with many 14 years olds so they can play 3 tournaments in a row. I trust my people.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

This is good. I also think the U23 should have its own tournament separate from the Olympics. Make it every 2 years.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

We shouldn't recycle players. Every year should be new set of players.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Where is NFF going to get the money for all this?

We like to criticize the NFF, but no one is even asking how they can get the funds for all these competitions. We're already struggling to fund football as it is. Football is not a profitable business in Nigeria where you actually make a profit from the sport. It is not self-sustaining.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:53 pm Where is NFF going to get the money for all this?

We like to criticize the NFF, but no one is even asking how they can get the funds for all these competitions. We're already struggling to fund football as it is. Football is not a profitable business in Nigeria where you actually make a profit from the sport. It is not self-sustaining.
Not just Nigeria, but Africa as a whole.
There’s a whole qualification process requiring teams to criss-cross the whole continent now almost on a non-stop basis.
That’s money.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Orion wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:53 pm Where is NFF going to get the money for all this?

FIFA gives them money for pre tourney preparations and FIFA will cover their bills at the tournament. Youth players don't get match allowances or bonuses like senior players.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:03 pm

FIFA gives them money for pre tourney preparations and FIFA will cover their bills at the tournament. Youth players don't get match allowances or bonuses like senior players.
...that there is why our FA is in all and any tournament announced.
They get that fifa mullah, the 1/10th on the players, the rest into their pockets.
Because they know youth players won't protest. Note the only bonus protests come from the SE or SF, they are professsionals.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Well, participation is not a must. You pick and choose which tournament you want to be a part of if you’re that broke.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:03 pm

You say this, but how do you know it covers all costs? You don't work at the NFF or FIFA. You're just making assumptions.

Scouting players and training camps are expensive. This is even before the cost of travel and extended camping for the competition. The prize money you win from FIFA is based on your progress in the competition. If you don't qualify, or you're eliminated early, you most likely will not get enough returns to cover your costs.

Some of the poorer nations pull out of these competitions because they can't fund them. FIFA does not cover everything.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes