FINIDI GEORGE.....Pressure, Opportunity, and Tomorrow

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
FINIDI GEORGE.....Pressure, Opportunity, and Tomorrow

Post by Enugu II »

Finidi GEORGE has a major opportunity tomorrow and the game thereafter. It is certain that Finidi has put his hat in the ring to take full control of managing the National Team beyond the interim tag which is his designation for the two upcoming international friendlies. Two things are clearly in his favor: (1) He gets an audition that none of his competitors will have simply because of his position under the departed Manager Peseiro (Amuneke and others are not smiling, BTW!) and (2) The NFF will feel that Finidi George, if he performs well with the team in these friendlies, can be signed on at a much lower wage than Peseiro was on initially (e.g. lower than $50,000 monthly). They will look at what Enyimba currently pays him and offer something much more but still lower than what Peseiro received.
ImageImage
Finidi George clearly knows this is a BIG BIG opportunity. He played at the highest level of club football in the world and was not just a bity player but much more than that. No current player (except perhaps Osimhen) on the current SE can even claim anything close. He has the pedigree, no doubt. Now, he will have a much talented squad than he had in Aba to get his plans to work to his advantage. His performance in Aba should also prepare him as well as his experience with the SE under Peseiro.
But Osimhen is missing.... it will not help matters. However, Nigeria has other players to show an inkling of attacking and aggressive football. He has to cajole the likes of Iheanacho to deliver the Manager job, full time, to him. To be frank, Iheanacho, often lackadaisical, will not need much cajoling this time. His awful time and demotion to bench warming at the AFCON should be enough lesson. This, TBH, is his opportunity to fight back. If it means delivering Finidi, SO BE IT. That is the DEAL. In Aba, George focused much on ball possession but that is not enough. The team must score goals given the appetite, it seems, of Nigerian fans. This is the trump card, one that can earn him this job for keeps.

Finidi knows that a number of Nigerians were not entirely happy despite the fact that the team emerged second at the just concluded AFCON. They wanted to see Nigeria dominate its games. That was not the case at the AFCON. In these two friendlies, he will show that he has a template that departs from Peseiro's ultra defensive system that earned NIgeria a silver at the AFCON. He will cut his own path. It will be an ultra attacking path. It begins with these friendlies.

Make no mistake about it, Finidi and the authorities know that this is an auditioning weekend for Finidi. If he fails, he can kiss the job good bye.. That includes even maintaining the Chief Coach position. He will be replaced. Thus, he is at fever-pitch, shivering, and he knows very well that he will make his career over these next few days and recede back to the dungeons of Aba. That much is certain.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
highbury
Egg
Egg
Re: FINIDI GEORGE.....Pressure, Opportunity, and Tomorrow

Post by highbury »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:51 pm Finidi GEORGE has a major opportunity tomorrow and the game thereafter. It is certain that Finidi has put his hat in the ring to take full control of managing the National Team beyond the interim tag which is his designation for the two upcoming international friendlies. Two things are clearly in his favor: (1) He gets an audition that none of his competitors will have simply because of his position under the departed Manager Peseiro (Amuneke and others are not smiling, BTW!) and (2) The NFF will feel that Finidi George, if he performs well with the team in these friendlies, can be signed on at a much lower wage than Peseiro was on initially (e.g. lower than $50,000 monthly). They will look at what Enyimba currently pays him and offer something much more but still lower than what Peseiro received.
ImageImage
Finidi George clearly knows this is a BIG BIG opportunity. He played at the highest level of club football in the world and was not just a bity player but much more than that. No current player (except perhaps Osimhen) on the current SE can even claim anything close. He has the pedigree, no doubt. Now, he will have a much talented squad than he had in Aba to get his plans to work to his advantage. His performance in Aba should also prepare him as well as his experience with the SE under Peseiro.
But Osimhen is missing.... it will not help matters. However, Nigeria has other players to show an inkling of attacking and aggressive football. He has to cajole the likes of Iheanacho to deliver the Manager job, full time, to him. To be frank, Iheanacho, often lackadaisical, will not need much cajoling this time. His awful time and demotion to bench warming at the AFCON should be enough lesson. This, TBH, is his opportunity to fight back. If it means delivering Finidi, SO BE IT. That is the DEAL. In Aba, George focused much on ball possession but that is not enough. The team must score goals given the appetite, it seems, of Nigerian fans. This is the trump card, one that can earn him this job for keeps.

Finidi knows that a number of Nigerians were not entirely happy despite the fact that the team emerged second at the just concluded AFCON. They wanted to see Nigeria dominate its games. That was not the case at the AFCON. In these two friendlies, he will show that he has a template that departs from Peseiro's ultra defensive system that earned NIgeria a silver at the AFCON. He will cut his own path. It will be an ultra attacking path. It begins with these friendlies.

Make no mistake about it, Finidi and the authorities know that this is an auditioning weekend for Finidi. If he fails, he can kiss the job good bye.. That includes even maintaining the Chief Coach position. He will be replaced. Thus, he is at fever-pitch, shivering, and he knows very well that he will make his career over these next few days and recede back to the dungeons of Aba. That much is certain.
Great write up Enugu II. It saddens me that a legend who served Nigeria with distinction is auditioning for a job while a foreigner who I hadn't heard of in my life was offered a job. This is what happens in the slave coast.
I am sorry Osimhen is not in the same level as Finidi. Findi is more accomplished. I hope Osimhen eclipse him some day, every player should listen to Finidi and listen good. Wish him all the best. I am confident he will succeed. If he fails, I will still prefer a Nigerian to take the helm. 2024 and we are still doing foreign coach in a country of over 200 million? That is mentally sickening!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...is he as forceful like Keshi was, because some players listen to force and order.
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

Excellent read, Enugu II. I'm happy for this fortuitous bounce of the ball that Finidi has received. Of all our former internationals, he is the best-prepared, all things considered, for this moment. I wish him well.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Tomorrow is not a must win game. It takes time to build your team.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:51 pm Make no mistake about it, Finidi and the authorities know that this is an auditioning weekend for Finidi. If he fails, he can kiss the job good bye.. That includes even maintaining the Chief Coach position. He will be replaced. Thus, he is at fever-pitch, shivering, and he knows very well that he will make his career over these next few days and recede back to the dungeons of Aba. That much is certain.
That is the problem with Nigerian football right there.
It should not be the case. But that’s how we do things in this country.
You can testify how many of us have been asking how long Nigerian fans are able to tolerate painful transitions. Not very long I assure you.
And no, it’s not just the NFF. It’s the fans too. Ask Amodu.

The NFF has to be strong enough to stand by its convictions.
A poor performance this week should in no way condemn Finidi to the dungeons.

Good luck to Finidi. He is the right choice in the circumstances, but he needs time
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:07 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:51 pm Make no mistake about it, Finidi and the authorities know that this is an auditioning weekend for Finidi. If he fails, he can kiss the job good bye.. That includes even maintaining the Chief Coach position. He will be replaced. Thus, he is at fever-pitch, shivering, and he knows very well that he will make his career over these next few days and recede back to the dungeons of Aba. That much is certain.
You can testify how many of us have been asking how long Nigerian fans are able to tolerate painful transitions. Not very long I assure you.

Good luck to Finidi. He is the right choice in the circumstances, but he needs time

The truth though is that many on that NFF Board do not have Finidi currently on the list if you read their stuff on pages of various dailies as they attempt to push their agenda. For Finidi, he has to have something from these two games to stake a claim. It really should not come to that but given the mindset on the Board, one has to face reality. Some have forgotten that these guy played at the highest level in Europe but those guys on the Board will simply look at him as just another one coaching a local club and would rather have a non-achiever in Europe ranked ahead of George.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:04 pm

The truth though is that many on that NFF Board do not have Finidi currently on there list if you read their stuff on pages of various dailies as they attempt to push their agenda. For Finidi, he has to have something from these two games to stake a claim. It really should not come to that but given the mindset on the Board, one has to face reality. Some have forgotten that these guy played at the highest level in Europe but those guys on the Board will simply look at him as just another one coaching a local club and would rather have a non-achiever in Europe ranked ahead of George.
I often wonder whether things are as simplistic as we tend to believe: ie that they are all scandalously corrupt, irretrievably ignorant, incorrigibly incompetent, visionless, petty-minded….
Unarguably, NFF has never really filled any of us with optimism, but I do wonder whether they’re not just a convenient punching bag for our wider frustrations with the country called Nigeria.

I’ve met a few NFF members over the years and they’re nothing like that.
It just doesn't make sense to me that the NFF have more to gain from a failed SE campaign than a successful one.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:41 pm

The truth though is that many on that NFF Board do not have Finidi currently on there list if you read their stuff on pages of various dailies as they attempt to push their agenda. For Finidi, he has to have something from these two games to stake a claim. It really should not come to that but given the mindset on the Board, one has to face reality. Some have forgotten that these guy played at the highest level in Europe but those guys on the Board will simply look at him as just another one coaching a local club and would rather have a non-achiever in Europe ranked ahead of George.
I often wonder whether things are as simplistic as we tend to believe: ie that they are all scandalously corrupt, irretrievably ignorant, incorrigibly incompetent, visionless, petty-minded….
Unarguably, NFF has never really filled any of us with optimism, but I do wonder whether they’re not just a convenient punching bag for our wider frustrations with the country called Nigeria.

It just doesn't make sense to me that the NFF have more to gain from a failed SE campaign than a successful one.
Damunk,

I am surprised by your views. I have met several at the topmost levels over several administrations. They are no different from the rest of us Nigerians and they are not in a vacuum away from the Nigerian environment, BTW. Moreover, note that they still must make a group decision or one that kowtows to their leader. Some of those views have sipped into the media and it is those views that I have expressed above. You aptly note frustration with Nigeria but yet those same NFF members are part of that Nigeria. If you are frustrated with Nigeria, are the NFF guys exempt?

You may call it incompetent. I actually will not call it that. I will call it street smart for want of a better description. Let me give you an example -- these guys made a far better decision that ity seems most on SE would have made after Peseiro was gone. Most on this CE called for hiring of hguys who are not currently in the syste,. Think of it. That was absolute rubbish. Howe could you do that when you have (1) a wage problem, (2) the position was not competed for, and (3) in relation to #1, you have not consulted adequately with the payer -- Sports Ministry? Those are realities on the ground and yet many on CE, living in some artificial world, thought it was easy to simply bring in a Manager from Europe. :???: :???:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:16 pm

Damunk,

I am surprised by your views. I have met several at the topmost levels over several administrations. They are no different from the rest of us Nigerians and they are not in a vacuum away from the Nigerian environment, BTW. Moreover, note that they still must make a group decision or one that kowtows to their leader. Some of those views have sipped into the media and it is those views that I have expressed above. You aptly note frustration with Nigeria but yet those same NFF members are part of that Nigeria. If you are frustrated with Nigeria, are the NFF guys exempt?

You may call it incompetent. I actually will not call it that. I will call it street smart for want of a better description. Let me give you an example -- these guys made a far better decision that ity seems most on SE would have made after Peseiro was gone. Most on this CE called for hiring of hguys who are not currently in the syste,. Think of it. That was absolute rubbish. Howe could you do that when you have (1) a wage problem, (2) the position was not competed for, and (3) in relation to #1, you have not consulted adequately with the payer -- Sports Ministry? Those are realities on the ground and yet many on CE, living in some artificial world, thought it was easy to simply bring in a Manager from Europe. :???: :???:
Prof, if I’m not mistaken….I think we’re in agreement here. :D
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:25 pm

Damunk,

Damunk

I believe so as well. I was pointing out that sometimes these guys are more logical than CE contributors. Importantly, they are street smart given the context of the environment.
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:51 am
Damunk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:25 pm

Damunk,

Damunk

I believe so as well. I was pointing out that sometimes these guys are more logical than CE contributors. Importantly, they are street smart given the context of the environment.

Nothing street smart about the NFF decision pls. Very dumb decision if they dont plan to make Finidi the permanent coach. A new coach will make their debut in a must-win match against a fired-up SA team that beat us 2-0 in Uyo the last time we played them in Nigeria.. how stupid. Ghana has Addo coaching in the friendlies in Prep for qualifiers.. that’s how you do it. The March friendlies are useless if Finidi is not made the permanent coach. I can’t believe people here think it’s a good idea - very troubling.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Goalgetter wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:17 am Nothing street smart about the NFF decision pls. Very dumb decision if they dont plan to make Finidi the permanent coach. A new coach will make their debut in a must-win match against a fired-up SA team that beat us 2-0 in Uyo the last time we played them in Nigeria.. how stupid. Ghana has Addo coaching in the friendlies in Prep for qualifiers.. that’s how you do it. The March friendlies are useless if Finidi is not made the permanent coach. I can’t believe people here think it’s a good idea - very troubling.
What is dumb is if you decide on a position as big as the SE coach without going through due process.
The same Nigerians will accuse them of corruption and choosing their own ‘yes man’.
The same Nigerians will come up with creative theories as to the why and how; they will state is as if fact and then use the conjecture to rain abuse and insults with no knowledge of the reality on ground.

What you are suggesting is kind of what they did after Rohr’s sacking. The shipwreck that occurred after is on permanent record to our eternal shame for all to see. Everybody go come clean mouth as if they were not in full support of the NFF decision.

Even if the plan is for Finidi to take over permanently, they'd still have to shop around and be seen to do so.
And if they don’t eventually settle on Finidi, it may be for reasons you and I may never know.
You really can’t please Nigerians, even if you are doing the right thing.