That layoff by Iwobi to Lookman for the 2nd goal

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: That layoff by Iwobi to Lookman for the 2nd goal

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:23 pm
Orion wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:42 am
YUJAM wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:45 am A bit of hyperbole here. It was an OK assist
Yup. I was expecting to see something spectacular, but it was just an ordinary pass to an unmarked player that anyone at that level should be able to make.

This is from the same forumer who made a thread belittling the contributions of our most influential player at the recent AFCON - Osimhen.
just laugh at his post :rotf: he is here for comedic relief
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Abeg go ask your oga why he has been avoiding the Arsenal forum for 2 weeks now. :laugh:

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:30 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:23 pm
YUJAM wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:45 am A bit of hyperbole here. It was an OK assist
Yup. I was expecting to see something spectacular, but it was just an ordinary pass to an unmarked player that anyone at that level should be able to make.

This is from the same forumer who made a thread belittling the contributions of our most influential player at the recent AFCON - Osimhen.
just laugh at his post :rotf: he is here for comedic relief
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Abeg go ask your oga why he has been avoiding the Arsenal forum for 2 weeks now. :laugh:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:28 pm
Orion wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:23 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:14 pm
Orion wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:00 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:40 pm

Read with context:
maceo4 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:54 am
Abi lol, its a normal assist, but abnormal coming from SE players thats why folks are excited...just thinking of how many times we effed up such a counter with poor decision making at the ANC :curse:
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:17 am That was top shelf soccer IQ! Haven't seen that kind of decision making from an SE player in the box for a long time!
And yes, a supposedly word class striker bagging an impressive haul of 1 goal in 7 games in a major tournament for his country ... is not OK. It is not. Full stop. When you factor in the information that this same striker fired blanks in 2 key matches that could have taken us to the WC ... anyway make I stop hia
Look at the guy contradicting himself. So the "context" you pointed out doesn't also apply to Osimhen?

Oh, we have to apply a different standard to him? A higher bar as he is not an SE player?

His contribution to our success wasn't one goal. He was involved in many goals and was instrumental in getting us to the final.
The context of my opening the thread is that we don't often see this kind of excellent split-second decision making from SE players at the business end of the game. How does this same context apply to Osimhen, as you claim?
The "context" you highlighted. The player deserves praise because what he did was rare among SE players?

How about Osimhen? He did similar things that got us penalties that were based on brainwork when he wasn't even in a position to score. Why does he only deserve criticism and not praise like Iwobi?
I'll praise him(like I have praised him in the past) when he does his job. Iwobi did his job and duly got praised. I have criticized Iwobi many times in the past here as well. Funny you didn't give a toss then. Abeg carry go :arrow:
He did his job. We got to the final off the back of his hard work and contributions.

We didn't have a good enough team to beat the much-improved hosts at the final, but that's another story.

Osimhen wasn't responsible for the team's failure at the final. The whole team failed. Let's not single out players for criticism. I was here questioning why people on social media were criticizing Iwobi. So, yes, I gave a toss when Iwobi was being criticized unfairly.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Coming from Iwobi is not a surprise though, Iwobi is much of a team player than most in the SE but the sequence I really enjoyed.
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The goal simply highlights the extremely crucial importance of spatial awareness, great first touch and quick decision making - all three exemplified in Iwobi’s goal contribution.
This is what we need in ALL players, not just some of them, because it is these marginal differences that make the difference between an Argentina in the WC Final and Naija going home in the R16.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and if in the build up to the goal any of the six involved players had failed in any of those attributes, there’d be no goal.
If Lookman hadn’t had a good first touch, nuttin for us.
If the player that laid the ball off to Iwobi had had a poor first touch, nuttin.
If the guy that sent the long ball out to the right flank with such accuracy had not weighted it just right, end of plan.

So a Super Eagle invited because he’s “not too bad” a player isn’t what we need any more.
Levels don change and we have higher expectations now.
A SE player has to be ‘that good’, or even better.

I’m talking to some SE players on limited time. :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

His of the ball movement was impressive
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Did anyone notice that after Nigeria 🇳🇬 scored the 2nd goal, a Ghanaian defender picked the ball out of the net and kicked it against the celebrating Nigerian players?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:23 pm The goal simply highlights the extremely crucial importance of spatial awareness, great first touch and quick decision making - all three exemplified in Iwobi’s goal contribution.
This is what we need in ALL players, not just some of them, because it is these marginal differences that make the difference between an Argentina in the WC Final and Naija going home in the R16.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and if in the build up to the goal any of the six involved players had failed in any of those attributes, there’d be no goal.
If Lookman hadn’t had a good first touch, nuttin for us.
If the player that laid the ball off to Iwobi had had a poor first touch, nuttin.
If the guy that sent the long ball out to the right flank with such accuracy had not weighted it just right, end of plan.

So a Super Eagle invited because he’s “not too bad” a player isn’t what we need any more.
Levels don change and we have higher expectations now.
A SE player has to be ‘that good’, or even better.

I’m talking to some SE players on limited time. :taunt:
Damunk,

No one will argue with the points above. May I also add that we need those willing to give 110 effort always.

Most of the divide here would not be about the above but about the fact that we limit our ability to identify such players by limiting the areas from which they are scouted.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics