FINIDI GEORGE: He has Gumption.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: FINIDI GEORGE: He has Gumption.....

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:27 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:05 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:46 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:42 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:15 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:59 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:53 am I would love to see Finidi take another look at Olisa Ndah🙂❗️

Cheers.
And this one would have made more sense. :thumb: He has been a regular in a club in a better league for almost 2 years and already has a couple of caps for the SE. Finidi needs to thread carefully.
I agree that it makes sense to invite Ndah but the fact that Ndah is a known quantity shouldn’t preempt the invitation of someone like Tanimu. Southgate invited Mainoo. I’m certain there are people who feel he should have invited a more experienced player.

There is at least one valid reason why a coach might want to invite an unknown quantity like Tanimu. It gives the coach an opportunity, in one fell swoop, to confirm his authenticity or, conversely, eliminate him as an option🤔❗️

Cheers.
Southgate invited Mainoo because his other trusted midfielder Phillips is off form. And Mainoo has played over 20 games for Man It’s this season and excelled.

And though I didn’t like his invitation, starting was a far worse sin. But Finidi knows best.

If he was serious about testing players, he should have started one of the other goalies and Onyedika too.
It is not productive to test more than 1 or 2 players at a time. Team balance should not be sacrificed in the name of testing players🤔❗️

Cheers.
So Tanimu deserved to be the one that should be tested in a position where we are currently overloaded with talent? I get it.
You and I both have our opinions but the only opinion that really counts with respect to who gets a tryout is Finidi’s and he’s got to be allowed to do what he thinks is best for the team. Like I pointed out previously, the fact that he gave Tanimu a look doesn’t mean he’s obligated to stick with him🤔❗️

Cheers.
Let’s see who else gets a tryout. Hopefully Finidi gets the nod and is given a permanent contract. Going by what I have been reading here and Finidi’s interview on the matter, I know where this discussion would end. I have seen it before. It’s the same template.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:47 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:39 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:59 am

And this one would have made more sense. :thumb: He has been a regular in a club in a better league for almost 2 years and already has a couple of caps for the SE. Finidi needs to thread carefully.
I agree that it makes sense to invite Ndah but the fact that Ndah is a known quantity shouldn’t preempt the invitation of someone like Tanimu. Southgate invited Mainoo. I’m certain there are people who feel he should have invited a more experienced player.

There is at least one valid reason why a coach might want to invite an unknown quantity like Tanimu. It gives the coach an opportunity, in one fell swoop, to confirm his authenticity or, conversely, eliminate him as an option🤔❗️

Cheers.
Southgate invited Mainoo because his other trusted midfielder Phillips is off form. And Mainoo has played over 20 games for Man It’s this season and excelled.

And though I didn’t like his invitation, starting was a far worse sin. But Finidi knows best.

If he was serious about testing players, he should have started one of the other goalies and Onyedika too.
It is not productive to test more than 1 or 2 players at a time. Team balance should not be sacrificed in the name of testing players🤔❗️

Cheers.
So Tanimu deserved to be the one that should be tested in a position where we are currently overloaded with talent? I get it.
Yes. His performance proved it.
You answered the wrong question.

Why was he the one that needed to be tested ahead of players in positions where we need reinforcement or better quality?
Maybe because last season Finidi had two of his toughest games against Insurance and noticed Tanimu then. Maybe Finidi feels that he is an excellent player. You don't have to agree with him but insinuating corruption, because the coach of the NPFL champions picked a player that excelled in the league and did well with U-23s, takes the cake.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:12 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

Why was he the one that needed to be tested ahead of players in positions where we need reinforcement or better quality?
Maybe because last season Finidi had two of his toughest games against Insurance and noticed Tanimu then. Maybe Finidi feels that he is an excellent player. You don't have to agree with him but insinuating corruption, because the coach of the NPFL champions picked a player that excelled in the league and did well with U-23s, takes the cake.
A lot of maybes, lol :lol:.

Let me help you win some other reasons.

https://dailypost.ng/2023/03/24/nigeria ... h-peseiro/
Nigeria vs Guinea-Bissau: Why I invited Bameyi – Super Eagles coach, Peseiro

March 24, 2023
By Don Silas

Super Eagles head coach, Jose Peseiro has explained why he invited defender, Daniel Bameyi, who currently plays for YumYum FC, to take part in his team’s squad that will face Guinea-Bissau in Friday’s 2023 African Cup of Nations, AFCON, qualifier.

Recall that Peseiro included Bameyi, who captained the Flying Eagles at the 2023 Africa U20 Cup of Nations, in his 23-man squad to tackle Guinea-Bissau on Friday and Monday, respectively.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference on Thursday, Peseiro said he included Bameyi in Super Eagles’ squad because he has the ability to play two defensive positions.

Peseiro said, “I chose Bameyi because he is a defender, can play as the right-sided central defender and right-back.”

The kick-off time for Nigeria vs Guinea-Bissau match at the Abuja National Stadium is 5 pm.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:26 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:12 pm

Cheers.

A lot of maybes, lol :lol:.

Let me help you win some other reasons.

https://dailypost.ng/2023/03/24/nigeria ... h-peseiro/
Nigeria vs Guinea-Bissau: Why I invited Bameyi – Super Eagles coach, Peseiro

March 24, 2023
By Don Silas

Super Eagles head coach, Jose Peseiro has explained why he invited defender, Daniel Bameyi, who currently plays for YumYum FC, to take part in his team’s squad that will face Guinea-Bissau in Friday’s 2023 African Cup of Nations, AFCON, qualifier.

Recall that Peseiro included Bameyi, who captained the Flying Eagles at the 2023 Africa U20 Cup of Nations, in his 23-man squad to tackle Guinea-Bissau on Friday and Monday, respectively.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference on Thursday, Peseiro said he included Bameyi in Super Eagles’ squad because he has the ability to play two defensive positions.

Peseiro said, “I chose Bameyi because he is a defender, can play as the right-sided central defender and right-back.”

The kick-off time for Nigeria vs Guinea-Bissau match at the Abuja National Stadium is 5 pm.
Yes, maybes because I'm not Finidi. And Bendel Insurance is not Yum Yum FC. They have been decent in the past two seasons in the NPFL. It can't be corruption every time a player is invited based on their NPFL form.
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Dem no deh give our local boys chance to play. A brave new coach give just one formidable local boy chance to play. And did boy no deh him team Eyimba. But still evil minds on this platform have the guts to call Finidi Corrupt?

Eerrrmm some of you peeps need to have ya head and full brain examined or quit followuing our Football. Kai ... how wicked can you be.

By the way you wey deh look for Ndah call up. I have news for you. None of those fraud footballers wey dem carry come LA come disgrace us will ever smell National duty again ever... I almost crey for stadium watching those clowns play against Mexico..
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Agbako wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:01 am Dem no deh give our local boys chance to play. A brave new coach give just one formidable local boy chance to play. And did boy no deh him team Eyimba. But still evil minds on this platform have the guts to call Finidi Corrupt?

Eerrrmm some of you peeps need to have ya head and full brain examined or quit followuing our Football. Kai ... how wicked can you be.

By the way you wey deh look for Ndah call up. I have news for you. None of those fraud footballers wey dem carry come LA come disgrace us will ever smell National duty again ever... I almost crey for stadium watching those clowns play against Mexico..
Nwabali played that game vs MexicO.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:29 am Finidi George is really a guy who believes in himself. He showed it today in many ways and I list them below. This guy's confidence is clearly to lay it all out and on the line. Nothing to fear. Na real show of gumption and bravery. I love it!!!
1. He stated in one video interview posted here by our key video poster and informant -- Bigpoke -- that he had brought Benhjamin Tianimu to the attention of SE Manager prior to this break but apparently the kid Tianiumu was not invited. I believe he clearly was referring to Peseiro and during the period Tianimu was weith Insurance and his performances were well known by those who folliw the NPFl. Never mind the ruomormongering by the uninformed in CE. In any case, Peseiro never invited the lad. In my view, this clearly supports what I and others jave suspecte -- the SEManagers were siimply not interested in looking for players locally. IOn any case, Finidi did not only demonstrate gumption by inviting this kid but then starting him and did not choose to bench him even after the kid many a few mistakes back in the defense.

2. Finidi George was clearly going for broke. He decided to ditch the extra cautious approach that NIgeria has used under Gernot Rohr and was intensified by Peseiro at this last AFCON. Instead, he took the more adventurous route as Eghuavoen attempted at a recent AFCON. In fact, he went one better by relying on three in the defense but putting true wingbacks in and not two wingers as a means to shore up the defense, when not in possession. It was a dangerous strategy and we shall see. However, he is indeed brave and not the overly cautious approach we had become increasingly accustomed.

3. Sure, this is only an international friendly but if you think that Finidi George is not auditioning for a job, I urge you to be more introspective and to THINK. Findi is and make no mistake about it..... this is an audition for the SE Manager job.

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!
I think you misunderstood his comment.

He wanted him at Enyimba. But the transfer was not possible. It wasn’t a Super Eagles thing.

I thought the first half was near perfect, but once Otto Addo made his switch in the second half, it took us a while to recover.

Kelechi stayed on the pitch way too long and did not make the one man advantage count when we did not have the ball. He got tired.

Also the substitutions were haphazard. We looked disjointed. The last 10 mins were borderline unprofessional.

It’s a C debut. Only because of the first half.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Also Benjamin started the game because of knocks to Omeruo and Bassey. When he got injured it was Osayi who played there and Simon moved to RWB.

Let’s see what happens on Tuesday.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ugbowo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:01 am
Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:29 am Finidi George is really a guy who believes in himself. He showed it today in many ways and I list them below. This guy's confidence is clearly to lay it all out and on the line. Nothing to fear. Na real show of gumption and bravery. I love it!!!
1. He stated in one video interview posted here by our key video poster and informant -- Bigpoke -- that he had brought Benhjamin Tianimu to the attention of SE Manager prior to this break but apparently the kid Tianiumu was not invited. I believe he clearly was referring to Peseiro and during the period Tianimu was weith Insurance and his performances were well known by those who folliw the NPFl. Never mind the ruomormongering by the uninformed in CE. In any case, Peseiro never invited the lad. In my view, this clearly supports what I and others jave suspecte -- the SEManagers were siimply not interested in looking for players locally. IOn any case, Finidi did not only demonstrate gumption by inviting this kid but then starting him and did not choose to bench him even after the kid many a few mistakes back in the defense.

2. Finidi George was clearly going for broke. He decided to ditch the extra cautious approach that NIgeria has used under Gernot Rohr and was intensified by Peseiro at this last AFCON. Instead, he took the more adventurous route as Eghuavoen attempted at a recent AFCON. In fact, he went one better by relying on three in the defense but putting true wingbacks in and not two wingers as a means to shore up the defense, when not in possession. It was a dangerous strategy and we shall see. However, he is indeed brave and not the overly cautious approach we had become increasingly accustomed.

3. Sure, this is only an international friendly but if you think that Finidi George is not auditioning for a job, I urge you to be more introspective and to THINK. Findi is and make no mistake about it..... this is an audition for the SE Manager job.

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!

He wanted him at Enyimba. But the transfer was not possible. It wasn’t a Super Eagles thing.

I thought the first half was near perfect, but once Otto Addo made his switch in the second half, it took us a while to recover.

Kelechi stayed on the pitch way too long and did not make the one man advantage count when we did not have the ball. He got tired.

Also the substitutions were haphazard. We looked disjointed. The last 10 mins were borderline unprofessional.

I actually got that impression too but couldn’t go back to watch the video and simply assumed I might have been mistaken. I do remember him saying “it didn’t work out” which was why I had to point out to Enugu II earlier that it wasn’t accurate to conclude Peseiro ‘refused’ to invite the lad after Finidi had recommended him.

But I agree, I don’t think it was the SE Finidi was referring to.
I could be wrong of course.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!

Wasn’t it Kelechi that ran half the field to create the second goal in the 82nd minute?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!

Ugbowo, do you have anything substantial, other than your obvious bias, to backup the highlighted assertion or is it purely conjecture❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Agbako wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:01 am Dem no deh give our local boys chance to play. A brave new coach give just one formidable local boy chance to play. And did boy no deh him team Eyimba. But still evil minds on this platform have the guts to call Finidi Corrupt?

So those who were selected to play Mexico were frauds but Tanimu is not a fraud? What’s the difference sir?

Wasn’t Ndah hailed as a future star when he featured for the SE at AFCON? His selection is now a fraud?
Last edited by Lolly on Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:44 am

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!

Ugbowo, do you have anything substantial, other than your obvious bias, to backup the highlighted assertion or is it purely conjecture❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Because you didn’t like what he said about Finidi wanting Tanimu at his club? :lol:

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ugbowo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:01 am I think you misunderstood his comment.

Cheers.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I think you’ll find your answer from about 2:01 in this video.
I agree with Ugbowo.
Make of it what you want, but it’s not really an argument in my opinion. He was referring to wanting him at Enyimba.

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:35 pm

Cheers.
I agree with Ugbowo.
Make of it what you want, but it’s not really an argument in my opinion. He was referring to wanting him at Enyimba.

Yep. He said he wanted him at Enyimba.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:55 am

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!

Cheers.
Because you didn’t like what he said about Finidi wanting Tanimu at his club? :lol:
As usual, your silliness preempts commonsense and logic. Why on earth would I not like the idea of Finidi wanting Tanimu at his club? And what is wrong with asking someone to clarify their statement❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:18 pm

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!

Cheers.
As usual, your silliness preempts commonsense and logic. Why on earth would I not like the idea of Finidi wanting Tanimu at his club? And what is wrong with asking someone to clarify their statement❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Na question I ask o, no be fight.

What is Ugbowo’s obvious bias by the way?

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:35 pm

Cheers.
I agree with Ugbowo.

Damunk,

There’s nothing to make of anything. I did not see any video until you sent one. The onus was on Ugbowo to indicate that Finidi actually alluded to that. Why are you guys always so suspicious of someone’s motives when all they’re doing is seeking a simple clarification? I taya ooo🤔❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:51 pm

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!

Cheers.

Cheers.

The C grade. Isn’t that obvious enough❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!

Ugbowo

Let us assume for one moment that I misunderstood his comment, right.

Finidi, according to you, was speaking about wanting the player at Enyimba. Finidi, we all agree is Enyimba's Manager. Enyimba is the champion team of Nigeria. Should that not indicate that this player was indeed a top player locally for Enyimba to seek signing him on in Nigeria? Importantly, if you follow the local media selection of players of the week in the NPFL, this player (while he was at Insurance) was selected multiple times in the Team of the Week and his team was the stingiest defense in the NPFL while he was there.

Given the above, it should be self explanatory that he was a leading player locally and if a player was worth considering locally, he surely has to be one of those worth considering. That is the point here. This point is made because of the obviously false claim by the uninformed on CE that this player was not worth a call up. In any case, in his debut, he showed that he was and is INDEED worth the call up.

My hope is that given his example and the goalkeeping example, which is even more instructive given the years of failures in that department when we sought to impose European reserve goalkeepers on the SE because 'Nigerian players who were playing locally were deemed unfit for SE'. That misguided belief could have ruined us. The bottom line is that while most of Nigeria's talented players are based outside the country, the few that can be found locally should never be ignored.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:29 pm

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.
So what grade would you give him?

For me, he played ok but he is not any better than the 5 central defenders we took to AFCON. And I am not sure how he compares to Ogbu or Osho yet. BTW, I am not a fan of the two German based guys who we’ve tried in the past.

He actually made more mistakes than good in the game but it is understandable considering it’s his first cap and I could see he was trying too hard to impress.

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If Finidi had half of the clout Enugu II is accrediting him with here, we would have seen it when Ghana was reduced to 10 men. He would have taken off Ndidi or Onyeka and brought on someone like Dele-Bashiru to give us an attacking edge the Ghanaians would have had no answer to!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:02 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:29 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.
So what grade would you give him?

For me, he played ok but he is not any better than the 5 central defenders we took to AFCON. And I am not sure how he compares to Ogbu or Osho yet. BTW, I am not a fan of the two German based guys who we’ve tried in the past.

He actually made more mistakes than good in the game but it is understandable considering it’s his first cap and I could see he was trying too hard to impress.
Certainly not a C. He’s not the next best thing to sliced bread but then neither are Ogbu and Osho. Our AFCON defenders played very well except for in the final. What’s evident is that Tanimu was not out of place. Where he goes from here is really upto Finidi. We’ll have to see if Finidi will let him grow into the role. I believe that, right now, Ndah is ahead of him in terms of development🤔❗️

Cheers.