Awaziem, Omeruo, Collins, Dessers

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Awaziem, Omeruo, Collins, Dessers

Post by deanotito »

Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:17 am
deanotito wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:13 am
Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:09 am
deanotito wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:06 am
maceo4 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:50 pm
deanotito wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm While i understand everybody seeing this as an audition for Finidi, I think we run the risk of taking this more seriously than it is.

It’s a friendly. His 2nd game in charge. He tried out some players. It didn’t work out. I don’t think it means much
It’s a friendly so why not try the players he brought? He made only one tactical sub in this game, that is extremely odd for a friendly game. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. He actually didn’t give many ‘new’ players a chance aside from Tanimu. This is a game you could have tried out the Tellas, Dele Bashiru, even give Sadiq a chance since Dessers got one last time out. He literally didn’t make the most out of these friendly and that’s regardless of the scoreline…
I’m just guessing here but maybe he thought this was his best team, and since he was coaching for his job, he might as well leave them on?? Or he wanted to build cohesion between the set on the field.

I am generally reluctant to assume professionals like Finidi don’t know what they’re doing. I may disagree with their choices but I can’t assume he’s incompetent off of one friendly game loss. He has to prove his incompetence and he hasn’t done so
Any coach who didn't make more than a single token change in this match we've just seen needs to go back to school. Hr really needs to explain to his employers what he was thinking about. Or were all the guys on the bench injured?
Lolly, even a secondary school coach would make substitutions if he was losing an important match. That Finidi didn’t make subs implies that it was a willful decision based on his analysis and not because he doesn’t know much.

All I’m saying is that we need to see more
He probably couldn't see how the subs would impact the game hence why he just sat there hoping to nick a goal from somewhere with the unbalanced formation he put up. I am really upset. I think the guy has blown his chances.
And are we sure his assessment of the subs wasn’t right? I just think if we’re going to bash a coach for not doing what we consider obvious, we need more observations.

I personally would not like to play a team like Mali were I in his position
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

deanotito wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:24 am
deanotito wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm While i understand everybody seeing this as an audition for Finidi, I think we run the risk of taking this more seriously than it is.

It’s a friendly. His 2nd game in charge. He tried out some players. It didn’t work out. I don’t think it means much
It’s a friendly so why not try the players he brought? He made only one tactical sub in this game, that is extremely odd for a friendly game. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. He actually didn’t give many ‘new’ players a chance aside from Tanimu. This is a game you could have tried out the Tellas, Dele Bashiru, even give Sadiq a chance since Dessers got one last time out. He literally didn’t make the most out of these friendly and that’s regardless of the scoreline…
I’m just guessing here but maybe he thought this was his best team, and since he was coaching for his job, he might as well leave them on?? Or he wanted to build cohesion between the set on the field.

I am generally reluctant to assume professionals like Finidi don’t know what they’re doing. I may disagree with their choices but I can’t assume he’s incompetent off of one friendly game loss. He has to prove his incompetence and he hasn’t done so
Any coach who didn't make more than a single token change in this match we've just seen needs to go back to school. Hr really needs to explain to his employers what he was thinking about. Or were all the guys on the bench injured?
Lolly, even a secondary school coach would make substitutions if he was losing an important match. That Finidi didn’t make subs implies that it was a willful decision based on his analysis and not because he doesn’t know much.

He probably couldn't see how the subs would impact the game hence why he just sat there hoping to nick a goal from somewhere with the unbalanced formation he put up. I am really upset. I think the guy has blown his chances.
And are we sure his assessment of the subs wasn’t right? I just think if we’re going to bash a coach for not doing what we consider obvious, we need more observations.

If he can't match Mali in a friendly, then he is not ready for South Africa and Benin in a must win World Cup qualifier. We are finished.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:31 am

If he can't match Mali in a friendly, then he is not ready for South Africa and Benin in a must win World Cup qualifier. We are finished.
Don't worry another experienced oyinbo journeyman coach is coming to our rescue, i present to you Antonio Conceicao :thumbs:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Don't worry another experienced oyinbo journeyman coach is coming to our rescue, i present to you Antonio Conceicao :thumbs:
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Rohr and Peseiro didn’t match many Mali-like teams in friendlies but when official games came along, they came out tops.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 am

Rohr and Peseiro didn’t match many Mali-like teams in friendlies but when official games came along, they came out tops.
We beat them in our last friendly under ****
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

This was a really bad performance.

Add Osayi to the list. His last few SE performances have been underwhelming. Lots of blame to go around.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:23 am This was a really bad performance.

Add Osayi to the list. His last few SE performances have been underwhelming. Lots of blame to go around.
I signed out on him during the Afcon.
He made a wonderful run that needed a simple pass to a striker but instead he went for glory.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The luckiest people in this game were the unused subs.
Because the folks you listed, Awaziem, Omeruo, Collins, Dessers and Osayi were bad.

If I was a sub, I will be praying for the coach not to use me.

What the coaching and technical crew need to look is why did Mali get all those chances. How to reduce those chances.
And how come we did not have real shots on goal?

We have to address getting competent wingbacks... Finidi might have seen why Moses is played as a wingback and gives more defensive solidity. Or even using Ademola Lookman as a wide player. Why didn't he try Tella there?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

ANC wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:31 am

He made a wonderful run that needed a simple pass to a striker but instead he went for glory.
He's a far better fullback than wing-back and its gotten clearer the more he was played in that position, i'm just confused why our coaches persist with it. IMO the formation did more damage than anything dealt by the Malians, the only player the formation actually benefits is Ajayi
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Sunset wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:31 am

He's a far better fullback than wing-back and its gotten clearer the more he was played in that position, i'm just confused why our coaches persist with it. IMO the formation did more damage than anything dealt by the Malians, the only player the formation actually benefits is Ajayi
You got it mixed up. Osayi is a better wingback than full back. He can do things Sanusi can dream of doing on the offensive end; however, he can be a bit selfish.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:14 am The luckiest people in this game were the unused subs.
Because the folks you listed, Awaziem, Omeruo, Collins, Dessers and Osayi were bad.

If I was a sub, I will be praying for the coach not to use me.

What the coaching and technical crew need to look is why did Mali get all those chances. How to reduce those chances.
And how come we did not have real shots on goal?

We have to address getting competent wingbacks... Finidi might have seen why Moses is played as a wingback and gives more defensive solidity. Or even using Ademola Lookman as a wide player. Why didn't he try Tella there?
Cell,

But those chances often occur against SE. The only reason you did not see much of it at the AFCON is because of the formation which closed down the spaces. Today, they showed up and particularly because the skipper Omeruo in the middle is severely challenged for pace. If he had help with the type of close-knit setup we saw at AFCON, it would have been a different story. Mali has pace and the combination of those two is dire. Go watch the second goal but that had always been known.

Finidi knew the above but he stated earlier that he is willing to live with it because he wanted his team to attack, That is not necessarily a bad thing but in a competitive game, Nigeria must choose its spots. Playing this type of formation against Mali, Senegal, and Morocco can be problematic.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

packerland wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:46 am

You got it mixed up. Osayi is a better wingback than full back. He can do things Sanusi can dream of doing on the offensive end; however, he can be a bit selfish.
Not at all, but It's a bit odd how you just brought up Sanusi unprovoked here but i'm guessing to big up Osayi's abilities :? ? And his issue is not because he's selfish but Similar to Sanusi it's their indecisiveness in the final third, but that's to be expected of natural fullbacks. And he has had far better performances s a full back than he has as a wingback.

Aina and Bruno are probably the exceptions to this IMO.
globalinksnn
Egg
Egg

Post by globalinksnn »

He could have the match without the gift of the goal in first half. Dresser had a golden opportunity to level scores , dresser lost the ball in a dangerous position that left our defence exposed for the 2nd goal. Finidi was trying to play a passing strategy . credit to him for the strategy. you need time to build and this was just a game lost due to poor execution. Kelechi is no 9, he is actually a better 10 than most of our midfielders , Ndidi did not special. our team should learn that they are more exposure during a failed attempt at attacking the opponent. Ghana`s 1st goal , Mali`s 2nd goal.

why start Lookman from the bench, why not use Umar. Dresser needs a mentor , he has the tools but needs more tactical depth
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

:lol: Wingback play is about the end product. Osayi is not a good wingback. That is pretty obvious. Victor Moses was a good wingback.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Sunset wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:24 am

Not at all, but It's a bit odd how you just brought up Sanusi unprovoked here but i'm guessing to big up Osayi's abilities :? ? And his issue is not because he's selfish but Similar to Sanusi it's their indecisiveness in the final third, but that's to be expected of natural fullbacks. And he has had far better performances s a full back than he has as a wingback.

Aina and Bruno are probably the exceptions to this IMO.
Nothing against Sanusi. He’s a better defender than Osayi for sure. Sanusi’s problem is that he’s awful at the offensive end. He should just stick to overlapping and just crossing the ball. No need to bother with doing a 1-2 with other players. Osayi is even more frustrating with his talent because I’ve seen his quality at club.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Dammy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:51 pm The problem with Awaziem is that he loses concentration and it could prove costly like today and against Ecuador in Peseiro’s 2nd game in the US in 2022. Peseiro never started him again.
Apart from that howler, he played well and made some vital interceptions but at this stage, he shouldn’t be making those sort of errors.
His mistake decided the match today, the 2nd goal was jara
I wrote both Awaziem and Dessers off after witnessing that game live at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey. Dessers's consistent squandering of chances during the match against Ecuador was particularly frustrating. It was evident from Peseiro's agitation towards Dessers that day that it would likely be the last time he would invite him to join the team.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Cyriel Dessers skies a sitter and Rangers fans CAN believe it as Nigeria striker pulls off carbon copy of Celtic sin

The Ibrox frontman made his second appearance of this international break but it didn't go as well as his first.

By Gavin Berry Live Sports Editor

Cyriel Dessers misses a glaring chance for Nigeria

Cyriel Dessers was the toast of Nigeria after his long-awaited international return last week but Super Eagles fans shared the frustration Rangers supporters have felt this season in his second appearance of their double header.

The Ibrox striker netted, albeit from the penalty spot, in Nigeria’s first win over Ghana in 15 years but the Jekyll and Hyde frontman showed his wasteful side in defeat to Mali - their first to their African rivals for 49 years - on Tuesday night. Dessers went from hero to sinner as he squandered a glorious chance to level in their 2-0 loss in Ajax legend Finidi George’s second game in charge.

A brilliant defence-splitting pass released the 29-year-old former Cremonese man, back in the international set-up for the first time in two years, but as he raced in on goal, faced by the keeper who came off his line he blazed his effort well over the crossbar.

It was the kind of miss that Rangers fans have seen all too often this season - including in the huge Old Firm derby at Parkhead when he escaped the Celtic defence only to fluff his lines. And light blue legions watching the clip of the miss on social media commented of how it was an all too familiar sight.

One joked: “Expected him to fake shot about 40 times then blaze it over the bar… but at least he did the second part!”. Another said: “I’ve genuinely never seen a footballer so unbelievably awful in one on one situations. Every. Single. Time.” One said: “I see he’s just as s*** with Nigeria as he is with us.” With another adding: “Hopefully he stays there.”
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foo ... s-32449545
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

He missed yet another opportunity to be considered a good option upfront. I am yet to see what he does well.

He has got to be the 7th option.

Osimhen
Boniface
Awoniyi
Moffi
Sadiq
Onuachu
Adams
Orban

Reasons why we should try to add Adebayo and Solanke to the pool.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:44 pm Surely this is the last of us seeing this junks? Dessers is literally the worse player I've ever seen in a Nigerian jersey :rotf:

Abeg we need our first teamers BACK in form before we meet South Africa...Osimhen, Boniface, Awoniyi, Aina, Ekong etc.

And yeah Finidi should go back to his level at Enyimba, doubt NFF are going to risk giving him a contract with that pathetic display, how TF do you sit on your subs in a mere friendly for goodness sake? na swear dem swear for us? from Rohr, Pisseiro and now Finidi!.
oh now you want Osimhen back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?