Who has been the best coach in our local league over the last 5 years?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Who has been the best coach in our local league over the last 5 years?

Post by Lolly »

Sunset, can you help us here.

Which of them has a clear style of play and has been consistent in producing teams that play good football?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Who has been the best coach in our local league over the last 5 years?

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:19 am Sunset, can you help us here.

Which of them has a clear style of play and has been consistent in producing teams that play good football?
I’m sure if there was a standout coach, we’d have heard his name by now.
The only one we hear about on these pages is the one we now have: Finidi.

No other name gets consistently mentioned.

When another ‘stand out’ coach hit the headlines (the guy that took Enugu Rangers to win the NPFL a few years ago’) he was brought into the SE fold. Can’t immediately recall his name.
The rest is history.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:39 am

When another ‘stand out’ coach hit the headlines (the guy that took Enugu Rangers to win the NPFL a few years ago’) he was brought into the SE fold. Can’t immediately recall his name.
The rest is history.
Damunk

There is a reason why the question is for Sunset. He knows.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:56 am

The rest is history.
Damunk

It’s not for Sunset alone but includes others like you who follow our league closely.

Can you name anyone?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Stanley Eguma!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:23 pmStanley Eguma!
What’s his track record in Nigeria and Africa? Titles, awards etc?

What formation does he prefer his team to play? 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2 etc?

Do you know if he has his coaching badges?

I am curious to see who we have on ground that can serve as assistant coach to someone like Finidi and build a strong together over a number of years. We are not going to the World Cup, so it’s better we start planning for life after. Enough of these token assistant managers who don’t bring anything to the table.

Meanwhile, Stanley’s team Rivers United is placed in position 16 out of 20 in the league. That’s not good enough.
Last edited by Lolly on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Is this Stanley guy affiliated with Rivers? Just asking for a friend.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

So why didn't you ask, who has been the best coach in our league over the past 5 years who prefers 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2 etc, and has coaching badges, and can be assistant to Finidi, and his team is not 16 out 20 on the league table, in the first place?
Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:51 pm

I am curious to see who we have on ground that can serve as assistant coach to someone like Finidi and build a strong together over a number of years. We are not going to the World Cup, so it’s better we start planning for life after. Enough of these token assistant managers who don’t bring anything to the table.

Meanwhile, Stanley’s team Rivers United is placed in position 16 out of 20 in the league. That’s not good enough.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

If I were to pick it would be between:

Daniel Ogunmodede (Remo Stars FC)

Fidelis Ilechukwu (Rangers International)

Both secured their respective clubs MFM & Remo with their NPFL debuts around the same time, though neither have won the league yet they're highly respected for their approach to the game. One can say Ilechukwu's path was a bit tougher as he didn't have the benefit of a clubside as professional as Remo, but with the new board at Rangers it has been a match made in heaven so far.

Honorable mention:
Eugene Agagbe of Lobi Stars FC, just a couple years ago he was coaching their U15 side and here he is in his first season competing for the title
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Lobi stars play good football.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

I don't like Enugu Rangers but not as much as I dislike Rivers. Any manager that managed to drag Enugu Rangers from their relegation zone camp to the top of the league in two months should be respected. That is our man.

... but we already have Finidi George in charge, is this all about the friendly match with Mali? The Rangers manager should do CHAN Eagles for now.
Last edited by YemiBrazil on Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

packerland wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:52 pm
Is this Stanley guy affiliated with Rivers? Just asking for a friend.
:D :D
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 pm So why didn't you ask, who has been the best coach in our league over the past 5 years who prefers 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2 etc, and has coaching badges, and can be assistant to Finidi, and his team is not 16 out 20 on the league table, in the first place?
Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:51 pm

Oga, my questions are valid. Trying to understand what makes him the best coach. You get it?

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Sunset wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:49 pm

Both secured their respective clubs MFM & Remo with their NPFL debuts around the same time, though neither have won the league yet they're highly respected for their approach to the game. One can say Ilechukwu's path was a bit tougher as he didn't have the benefit of a clubside as professional as Remo, but with the new board at Rangers it has been a match made in heaven so far.

Honorable mention:
Eugene Agagbe of Lobi Stars FC, just a couple years ago he was coaching their U15 side and here he is in his first season competing for the title
Thanks for your contribution.

These are the sort of coaches the NFF should be looking at to assist our national coach. The job is really part-time anyway, so they can get the support of their club chairmen.

Are they known for any particular style or formation?

I wonder who was assisting Finidi in these two friendly matches. Something was off with the tactics and formation.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:42 pm I don't like Enugu Rangers but not as much as I dislike Rivers. Any manager that managed to drag Enugu Rangers from their relegation zone camp to the top of the league in two months should be respected. That is our man.

... but we already have Finidi George in charge, is this all about the friendly match with Mali? The Rangers manager should do CHAN Eagles for now.
This topic was meant to unearth potential assistants.

I pray Finidi is retained, at least until the World Cup qualifiers are over.
Last edited by Lolly on Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Over the last 5 years or over last few weeks? He said over the last few years. Stanley has been the most consistent over the last 5 years. Not only that, he has produced 2 or 3 SE players during this period.

Honorable mention:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:56 am

The rest is history.
Damunk

see as you just told a whole doctor to shut up, sitdown and remain quiet. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:38 pm

Honorable mention:
Thanks for your contribution.

These are the sort of coaches the NFF should be looking at to assist our national coach. The job is really part-time anyway, so they can get the support of their club chairmen.

Are they known for any particular style or formation?

I wonder who was assisting Finidi in these two friendly matches. Something was off with the tactics and formation.
I don’t think it’s a good idea to be juggling NT and club duties. I’d rather see how well they can perform at the club level specifically on the continent which should be the natural progression.

A mutual on twitter put together a very detailed thread on Ilechukwu’s style of play. You can click on it to get the full thing

Coach Dan’s style is possession based and relies heavily on attacking full/wing backs. Though they are quite susceptible to counters

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Honorable mention:
Sunset,

Do you think they will recall. Several names have been mentioned here for a while beyond those you listed. WE had previously identified

Kennedy Boboye
Gbenga Ogunbote

Those those plus Ilechukwu have won quite regularly wherever they have been with only a few hiccups in some places.

Then there are several up and coming ones as well.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

1naija wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:59 pm Over the last 5 years or over last few weeks? He said over the last few years. Stanley has been the most consistent over the last 5 years. Not only that, he has produced 2 or 3 SE players during this period.

Honorable mention:
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:41 pm
YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:42 pm I don't like Enugu Rangers but not as much as I dislike Rivers. Any manager that managed to drag Enugu Rangers from their relegation zone camp to the top of the league in two months should be respected. That is our man.

This topic was meant to unearth potential assistants.

I pray Finidi is retained, at least until the World Cup qualifiers are over.
Finidi showed you serious red flags in the two friendlies he was in charge but you pray he is retained. Later on, you''ll be here on CE crying about inexplicable line-ups and substitution patterns.. Imagine a clown that hasn't gotten a job yet but firmly decides to put his worst foot forward. When someone shows you who they are, believe them..
NIGERIAN BADBOY!