What Finidi George said after Nigeria’s 2-nil loss to Mali

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Nigeria won their first game of the March International break against Ghana before falling to a 2-0 defeat against Morocco last night.
Super Eagles stand-in coach, Finid Goerge, has reacted to Nigeria’s 2-0 loss to Mali last night at the Stade de Marrakech in Morocco, Soccernet.ng reports.

The 52-year-old tactician is the current head coach of the defending NPFL Champions, Enyimba FC, but was called in by the NFF to stand in temporarily as Nigeria’s coach for the March International friendlies, following the departure of Jose Peseiro.

In his first game in charge, Nigeria cruised to a 2-1 win in the Jollof derby, defeating Otto Addo’s Ghana, before falling to a defeat against Mali last night, in a display that was far from entertaining.

Speaking in his post-match interview, the former Ajax winger revealed that he was pleased with his team’s performance despite being on the losing side.

“We made a few mistakes that cost us the match. It was not a bad game, good intensity and we created a couple of chances and didn’t score, and in games like this, if you don’t take your chances and make mistakes, you get punished. We were not outplayed so that is a good thing and in the first game I think we did so well,” Finidi Told OgaNla Media.

The 1994 AFCON winner maintained that his team played better, but in football, that doesn’t always guarantee success.

“I would have loved a different result, but it was not meant to be. That’s how football is, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It’s a friendly game, so you just check to see some players that can be used in the future :lol:. That’s the most important thing,” the former Super Eagles winger added.

Nigeria will resume action again in June as they prepare for the 2026 FIFA World Cup. They will take on South Africa and Gernot Rohr’s Benin Republic.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/03/what-finid ... -mali.html
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: What Finidi George said after Nigeria’s 2-nil loss to Mali

Post by ohenhen1 »

If Finidi keeps the job he will drop some players.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

A lot of "dead" weight on that team! We will be ok, against South Africa and Benin. We will need the max of 6 points or else we can kiss the 2026 World Cup goodbye!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

We need 2 weeks of camping before SA and another friendly behind closed doors. Maybe against all star Nigerian league side. He is right, for a friendly, it was a good game. Lots of players were tested. You really didn't go 100 percent. You were missing several players. But yet the players passed the ball well and created several chances,.

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:59 pm If Finidi keeps the job he will drop some players.
You know this how? The man didn't even play his bench. Sometimes we can't seem to shake our ugly past. Let's take a memory recap of our last 3-4 coaches both local and foreign and see how they're alike:
1) They kept deadwood (The Musa's of the world)
2) playing starters far too long
3)Not using subs well
4) inability to figure out the gk or the backup gk situation
5) questionable call ups (Lb that played in Russia, Bameyi, this new guy, Ojo etc.)
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

Why did Nathan Tella and Fisayo Dele Bashiru not get a run this friendly. Nathan should be walking into our starting line up on merit
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:59 pm If Finidi keeps the job he will drop some players.
:lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

ugly boy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:12 pm Why did Nathan Tella and Fisayo Dele Bashiru not get a run this friendly. Nathan should be walking into our starting line up on merit
My exact thoughts.

Hopefully Tella will get a chance in the WCQs.
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

packerland wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:05 pm
You know this how? The man didn't even play his bench. Sometimes we can't seem to shake our ugly past. Let's take a memory recap of our last 3-4 coaches both local and foreign and see how they're alike:
1) They kept deadwood (The Musa's of the world)
2) playing starters far too long
3)Not using subs well
4) inability to figure out the gk or the backup gk situation
5) questionable call ups (Lb that played in Russia, Bameyi, this new guy, Ojo etc.)
Finidi didn't make the squad list for the friendlies. All coaches have the same mind set. The mind set is they will do it their way. Which means he will call up players that he can work with, players that fit his system. If Osayi can't play wingback. He will find a wingback. He is going to drop some players. Might be a slow phase out due to the next game is close. But eventually he will drop several players. Also If I were FInidi. I will call plays that fit my system and listen to instructions.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Even if they hire their WOWO coach. That WOWO coach will also drop several players. He will call up players that fit his system. At the end of the day, I will be blamed if I fail. Might as well do it my way.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:48 pm We need 2 weeks of camping before SA and another friendly behind closed doors. Maybe against all star Nigerian league side. He is right, for a friendly, it was a good game. Lots of players were tested. You really didn't go 100 percent. You were missing several players. But yet the players passed the ball well and created several chances,.
Ohenhen1

Are you living in the past? Where do you get 2 weeks of camping from? That just is not possible in today's world. Two weeks availability for camping only occurs before a major tournament and not for tournament qualifiers.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

:mad:
kendo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:20 pm
ugly boy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:12 pm Why did Nathan Tella and Fisayo Dele Bashiru not get a run this friendly. Nathan should be walking into our starting line up on merit
My exact thoughts.

Hopefully Tella will get a chance in the WCQs.
He also brought back Uzoho...he seems to be a poor mans version of pissero
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

INCREDIBLE THAT...

...people are already condemning Finidi over two friendlies, one which, believe or not, he actually won. They are already calling him a failure even though they had no clue what his goals going into the match were. They are lamenting that some players were not used before knowing why they weren't. What these critics ignore is that they have no knowledge of things that went on during practices but Finidi saw them and those things could have influenced his decisions.

This something many of us have seen over and over: a Nigerian coach has a short leash. Would a foreign coach with a brief 1 - 1 record, get it, in friendlies, be so harshly judged? Of course, the answer is no. Excuses would be made for him. Like "he's new to the players and culture and it's just friendlies. Give him time." They don't care that Finidi was using players who normally would not play to see if there might be a revelation. It all seems like the usual shameful desire to get a foreigner roaming the sidelines.

Back in the SA WC, a Swedish coach, Lagerback, led Nigeria to the worst would cup outing in the history of the country, scnadalously losing all group matches to return home early. You's think the NFA would ask him to head staright to his home country and not to bother to return to Nigeria. Nope. The NFF went to him on bended knees asking him to stay for the sake of "continuity", a concept that Nigerians suddenly discover when they have a foreign coach. But Lagerback, bless his soul, told them that Nigeria was better off with one of their own. That advise the NFF ignored. What makes more depressing was that it was a Nigerian, Amodu, who qualified the team and the NFF did not see the importance of using a Nigerian in a WC being played for the first time Africa in the land of apartheid. How dense could they be?

Maybe these people would be more objective if they are told that Finidi may not be "the man", but that he would be replaced by another person brandishing a Nigerian passport. I fear for the future of Nigeria if this kind of thinking is taken into more critical areas of national endeavor.
Bell
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bell wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am INCREDIBLE THAT...

...people are already condemning Finidi over two friendlies, one which, believe or not, he actually won. They are already calling him a failure even though they had no clue what his goals going into the match were. They are lamenting that some players were not used before knowing why they weren't. What these critics ignore is that they have no knowledge of things that went on during practices but Finidi saw them and those things could have influenced his decisions.

This something many of us have seen over and over: a Nigerian coach has a short leash. Would a foreign coach with a brief 1 - 1 record, get it, in friendlies, be so harshly judged? Of course, the answer is no. Excuses would be made for him. Like "he's new to the players and culture and it's just friendlies. Give him time." They don't care that Finidi was using players who normally would not play to see if there might be a revelation. It all seems like the usual shameful desire to get a foreigner roaming the sidelines.

Back in the SA WC, a Swedish coach, Lagerback, led Nigeria to the worst would cup outing in the history of the country, scnadalously losing all group matches to return home early. You's think the NFA would ask him to head staright to his home country and not to bother to return to Nigeria. Nope. The NFF went to him on bended knees asking him to stay for the sake of "continuity", a concept that Nigerians suddenly discover when they have a foreign coach. But Lagerback, bless his soul, told them that Nigeria was better off with one of their own. That advise the NFF ignored. What makes more depressing was that it was a Nigerian, Amodu, who qualified the team and the NFF did not see the importance of using a Nigerian in a WC being played for the first time Africa in the land of apartheid. How dense could they be?

Maybe these people would be more objective if they are told that Finidi may not be "the man", but that he would be replaced by another person brandishing a Nigerian passport. I fear for the future of Nigeria if this kind of thinking is taken into more critical areas of national endeavor.
Bell
So you are happy with what you saw over the 2 games?

And correction. Finidi is not new to the players or culture. He has been the assistant coach for almost 2 years including the benefit of a full competitive tournament. He has seen most of the players in training, friendly and competitive matches.

Everything was in place for him and was supposed to work in his favour but he flunked it big time. He started with a stupid formation against Mali that was not suited to the players on the pitch and then he did not make use of his subs to make amendments when Mali were toying with our boys. It is criminal.

I actually want him to get job, so he can prove me and others wrong. But I know what is going to happen going by what I have seen over the last two matches. Old habits die hard.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."