MUTIU ADEPOJU Spills his take on SE COACH....But Awaziem Quietly Wires a SLAP

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
MUTIU ADEPOJU Spills his take on SE COACH....But Awaziem Quietly Wires a SLAP

Post by Enugu II »

Mutiu Adepoju speaks on Finidi George’s performance vs Ghana, Mali; foreign coach for Super Eagles
Former Real Sociedad man Adepoju and ex-Ajax winger George lifted the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations with the Super Eagles
https://soccernet.ng/2024/03/mutiu-adep ... agles.html

Former Real Sociedad and Racing Santander midfielder Mutiu Adepoju has thrown his weight in support of Finidi George to be named the Super Eagles substantive head coach, Soccernet.ng reports.

As caretaker coach of the Super Eagles, Finidi led the national team to a 2-1 victory over Ghana on Friday, March 22, before suffering a surprise 2-0 loss to Mali four days later.

Finidi was praised by many after that win over the Black Stars. Still, the manner of the Super Eagles’ defeat to Mali, where Nigeria failed to muster a single shot on target in ninety minutes, has left some in doubt of his ability to coach the three-time African champions.

However, Mutiu does not want Finidi to be assessed only by the Super Eagles’ display against the Malians.

Mutiu contends that coaches do not have to win all the time, especially in friendly matches, and believes Finidi will work hard on improving the team when fully entrusted with the reins.

Citing errors made by some fringe Super Eagles players against Mali, Mutiu is convinced that the absence of key stars played its part in the loss to Les Aigles.
“With only two games under his (Finidi’s) belt, his record of one win and one loss is not bad at all,” Mutiu told Flashscore.

“He has a lot of room for improvement. I firmly believe that these Super Eagles will prosper under his leadership if he gets the job.

“It would be a serious mistake to judge Finidi solely on our defeat against Mali. When José Peseiro was the coach of the Super Eagles, did he win every game? Finidi deserves our trust so that he can cultivate the confidence necessary to build on our current base.

“I expect improvements in all aspects of the game. This is a friendly match and the first two matches under Finidi’s direction. I think he has identified the areas that need correction.

“We were victorious against Ghana, but unfortunately we suffered a defeat against Mali. This means that we have achieved a victory in two games, which, in my opinion, is not a bad result for the Super Eagles in general.

Adepoju, who scored at the 1998 FIFA World Cup in France, also added,

“During the match against Mali, we showed greater possession of the ball in the second half, and the players exhibited more determination.

“Despite creating scoring chances, we failed to take advantage of them. On the contrary, the Malian team made the most of their few opportunities, converting two opportunities into goals.

“Furthermore, the absence of Victor Osimhen and some of our regular players was noticeable.

“However, I wouldn’t downplay the contribution of the players we fielded. They put in a commendable performance, but the first goal we conceded against Mali was a costly mistake that should have been avoided. It’s a lesson they must learn.”

Mutiu Adepoju also wades in on the raging debate about whether a local or foreign head coach is the perfect fit for the Super Eagles.

While many, such as Air Peace CEO Allen Onyema, are rooting for an indigenous coach like Finidi or Emmanuel Amunike, others, including PSG and Bolton Wanderers legend, Austin Okocha, want a foreign coach for the Super Eagles.

For Adepoju, the time is right for a local coach to take the national team on another successful adventure.

The former Real Madrid B star argues that no one is better positioned to lead that charge than Finidi, who enjoyed a trophy-laden career, winning the Champions League title, three Eredivisie titles, two Dutch Super Cups, and a European Super Cup with Ajax Amsterdam.

“If we don’t trust our team, how are they going to gain valuable experience? Offering Finidi a permanent position would not be a bad decision on the part of the Nigerian Football Federation,” Mutiu said of Finidi, who guided Enyimba to the Nigerian Professional League title in 2023.

“Finidi is not a stranger to the team, as he was part of the coaching staff at CAN and has a distinguished career as a player at the highest level. In addition to his ability as a coach, his extensive experience as a player will undoubtedly be very valuable.

“I firmly believe that he has a lot to offer.
“We have been discussing the debate between choosing a foreign coach versus a coach based in the country. I don’t think Nigerian coaches have had the same opportunities as their foreign counterparts. Other countries have trusted their own coaches and gotten results positives. Why not try it?”

The Nigeria Football Federation is expected to appoint a new head coach for the Super Eagles before Nigeria face South Africa and the Benin Republic in June in their bid to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: MUTIU ADEPOJU Spills his take on SE COACH....But Awaziem Quietly Wires a SLAP

Post by ohenhen1 »

Well said Headmaster. He should also get into coaching. We need more coaches.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: MUTIU ADEPOJU Spills his take on SE COACH....But Awaziem Quietly Wires a SLAP

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We need to move on from these1994 2nd rd heroes and get our house in order 30yrs after these guys were relevant. Mutiu was a good -layer but he hasn’t done jack Nattin since 1996. We appreciate his contribution though we don’t want any more of it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

These 94 set guys need to be phased out of Football matters. They are part of the problem.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

bret- hart wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am These 94 set guys need to be phased out of Football matters. They are part of the problem.
I don't think Finidi's qualification was because he was part of the 94 set!

He played football at the highest level.

He had his coaching badge

He came home to coach a local side and won the league title. All that should count for something not so?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 pm
Mutiu Adepoju speaks on Finidi George’s performance vs Ghana, Mali; foreign coach for Super Eagles
Former Real Sociedad man Adepoju and ex-Ajax winger George lifted the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations with the Super Eagles
https://soccernet.ng/2024/03/mutiu-adep ... agles.html

Former Real Sociedad and Racing Santander midfielder Mutiu Adepoju has thrown his weight in support of Finidi George to be named the Super Eagles substantive head coach, Soccernet.ng reports.

As caretaker coach of the Super Eagles, Finidi led the national team to a 2-1 victory over Ghana on Friday, March 22, before suffering a surprise 2-0 loss to Mali four days later.

Finidi was praised by many after that win over the Black Stars. Still, the manner of the Super Eagles’ defeat to Mali, where Nigeria failed to muster a single shot on target in ninety minutes, has left some in doubt of his ability to coach the three-time African champions.

However, Mutiu does not want Finidi to be assessed only by the Super Eagles’ display against the Malians.

Mutiu contends that coaches do not have to win all the time, especially in friendly matches, and believes Finidi will work hard on improving the team when fully entrusted with the reins.

Citing errors made by some fringe Super Eagles players against Mali, Mutiu is convinced that the absence of key stars played its part in the loss to Les Aigles.
“With only two games under his (Finidi’s) belt, his record of one win and one loss is not bad at all,” Mutiu told Flashscore.

“He has a lot of room for improvement. I firmly believe that these Super Eagles will prosper under his leadership if he gets the job.

“It would be a serious mistake to judge Finidi solely on our defeat against Mali. When José Peseiro was the coach of the Super Eagles, did he win every game? Finidi deserves our trust so that he can cultivate the confidence necessary to build on our current base.

“I expect improvements in all aspects of the game. This is a friendly match and the first two matches under Finidi’s direction. I think he has identified the areas that need correction.

“We were victorious against Ghana, but unfortunately we suffered a defeat against Mali. This means that we have achieved a victory in two games, which, in my opinion, is not a bad result for the Super Eagles in general.

Adepoju, who scored at the 1998 FIFA World Cup in France, also added,

“During the match against Mali, we showed greater possession of the ball in the second half, and the players exhibited more determination.

“Despite creating scoring chances, we failed to take advantage of them. On the contrary, the Malian team made the most of their few opportunities, converting two opportunities into goals.

“Furthermore, the absence of Victor Osimhen and some of our regular players was noticeable.

“However, I wouldn’t downplay the contribution of the players we fielded. They put in a commendable performance, but the first goal we conceded against Mali was a costly mistake that should have been avoided. It’s a lesson they must learn.”

Mutiu Adepoju also wades in on the raging debate about whether a local or foreign head coach is the perfect fit for the Super Eagles.

While many, such as Air Peace CEO Allen Onyema, are rooting for an indigenous coach like Finidi or Emmanuel Amunike, others, including PSG and Bolton Wanderers legend, Austin Okocha, want a foreign coach for the Super Eagles.

For Adepoju, the time is right for a local coach to take the national team on another successful adventure.

The former Real Madrid B star argues that no one is better positioned to lead that charge than Finidi, who enjoyed a trophy-laden career, winning the Champions League title, three Eredivisie titles, two Dutch Super Cups, and a European Super Cup with Ajax Amsterdam.

“If we don’t trust our team, how are they going to gain valuable experience? Offering Finidi a permanent position would not be a bad decision on the part of the Nigerian Football Federation,” Mutiu said of Finidi, who guided Enyimba to the Nigerian Professional League title in 2023.

“Finidi is not a stranger to the team, as he was part of the coaching staff at CAN and has a distinguished career as a player at the highest level. In addition to his ability as a coach, his extensive experience as a player will undoubtedly be very valuable.

“I firmly believe that he has a lot to offer.
“We have been discussing the debate between choosing a foreign coach versus a coach based in the country. I don’t think Nigerian coaches have had the same opportunities as their foreign counterparts. Other countries have trusted their own coaches and gotten results positives. Why not try it?”

The Nigeria Football Federation is expected to appoint a new head coach for the Super Eagles before Nigeria face South Africa and the Benin Republic in June in their bid to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

ADEPOJU & SOME OTHERS SPEAK COMMON SENSE - UNFORTUNATELY MANY MISS IT

Nigeria is not about to win the WC anytime soon, so this is the best time to install a Nigerian as head coach, when the risk is low. Nigeria is not being held back because of the absence of a "world class" coach but because of the quality of players.

A great coach may incrementally elevate a team but by far the reason why teams win is because of the talent. There are few thngs any coach knows that are not commonly known within the coaching community. A talented team can mask bad strategies. So bringing in, say Guardolia, as some have dreamt here, would not significantly change the oddsmakers perception of Nigeria. I've followed many teams in many sports in my life and change in coaching hardly moves the needle but new players can and do.

So common sense calls for use of a Nigerian. Let me know if you want me to list the benefits. It is hard for me to believe that this is even a subject of serious debate.
Bell