Local Coach Advocacy- Like Forrest Gump!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Local Coach Advocacy- Like Forrest Gump!

Post by txj »

...stupid is as stupid does!!!

The issue is not whether one likes local coaches or foreign coaches. That is just plain stupid!

There is no such thing as "local coaches" or "foreign coaches". Any more than they are not all black, or all white...

There are just individual coaches, and they are ALL different.

So every coach stands on their own individual merit, or lack thereof.

Kennedy Boboye is different from Finidi as they are both different from Jose Peseiro who is in turn different from Gernot Rohr.

So don't tell me that Nigeria must hire a "local coach" or a "foreign coach" for the SE. That is stupid as stupid does!!

Tell me who, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, tell me why.

What qualities does a George Finidi have that both differentiates and places him above George Ogunmodode or Pedro Goncalves and vice versa.

What is his footballing philosophy?
How does he model his game?
How does he define space, expand it or constrain it?

Every coach stands on their own individual merit, or lack thereof.

The chief advocates of LCs like Odegbanmi often speak about it thus:

“All around us, we hear about some Nigerians who are excelling in all fields of endeavours and they are leaving the country to go and help other countries.

“Football is not a rocket science, but a simple game. We have lots of Nigerians who have all the qualifications to take us to any level.

“For me, I won’t suffer from colonial mentality again and enough of foreign coaches.

Whenever you hear someone speak like this about coaching, he is quietly telling you that he is ignorant about football.

Yes football is not rocket science, but neither is football, stupid as stupid does!!!

It requires creative intelligence. An understanding of "the science of football", and the tactical analysis on which it functions, which is about the organization of men in space and time.

Back in the day when I followed Leventis United, Nigerian coaches would sneer at such discussions as "book football". A few things have changed since Clemens Westerhof described Nigerian coaches as lacking in tactical details...as exemplified by listening to the ignorant Segun Odegbanmi!

Yes, Nigerians excel in multiple disciplines in the world. Their work in those disciplines speak for them.

Where is the work of a Nigerian coach today that speaks for them?

There is no hiding place in football. If you are excelling in the game, football will find you!!!

But if you are as stupid as stupid gets, it does not matter whether you are Nigerian or German or Brazilian, football will never elevate you, unless equally stupid people do so!!

Today there are a new category of young coaches blazing new trails in the game. Roberto De Zerbi, Xabi Alonso, Fernando Diniz, Ruben Amorin, Thiago Motta.

Where is such a coach in Nigeria?

More than two decades ago, I asked this same question in a publication in The Guardian. I noted that a Nigerian born coach with experience in European football and an understanding of the global game was best suited to lead the SE.

But then I asked- Where is such a coach in Nigeria?

Without a professionally functioning league and without a professionally run club, where is the platform for such coaches to emerge and horn their skills?

The doctors have medical schools.
The engineers have engineering schools.

Where is the "functional laboratory" for coaches to emerge in Nigeria?.

Or is it just a matter of "casting and binding" and they will magically emerge?

Stupid is as stupid does. And stupid is:

- Ohenhen
- Bell
- Odegbanmi
Last edited by txj on Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Local Coach Advocacy- Like Forrest Gump!

Post by ohenhen1 »

In the context of Nigeria there is a difference. The NFF discriminate against local coaches. They provide more support to foreign coaches than to local coaches. Foreign coaches that don't deserve it gets paid more than local coaches. Rohr, Peseiro earned more than Oliseh and Keshi. Keshi qualified a team to the World cup and still got paid less than Rohr and Peseiro. There are still Nigeria coaches that are owed salaries and etc. Some have passed away.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

For me the issue is simple.

I do not like Nigerian born coaches. I do not think they are best for SE.

Not because I don't think they are not competent. Not at all.

But they come with their EXTREME biases, favoritism, tribalism, bigmanism , and propensity to work for THEMSELVES rather than the team.

I didn't mind Sia Sia, I also didn't think Egu was that bad other than his 442 obsession. I especially didn't mind his 2006 team. Thought they were well drilled. But these guys are the exception.

Recently Keshi showed himself to be utterly corrupt.

Oliseh just beefed with everyone.

Amokachi has made very discriminatory statements making to believe he would be horrible as coach.

Finidi George has done in 2 mere matches , more self discrediting than I have ever seen from any SE coach.

Amodu was very decent in retrospect. The main beef against him at the time was that we "struggled on the road" But again in retrospect that is just a silly and short-sighted beef , especially beimg much younger and less knowledgeable at the time.

But frankly I do not now how Amodu would operate in the era of "foreign born"

Would he display the same bias and discrimination showed by the likes of Amokachi and Finidi George ? I do not know.

Bottom line I would just prefer a "foreigner"

Who is much less likely to

Beef with players
Discriminate against players
Promote junk players
Ignore genuine talents

Unfortunately local coaches have just shown there is always some corruption or extreme bias that follows them.

Therefore I prefer "foreign"

My interest is with SE to BE THE BEST THEY CAN BE.

A guy like Finidi Unfortunately will not give us that.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:56 pm For me the issue is simple.

But they come with their EXTREME biases, favoritism, tribalism, bigmanism , and propensity to work for THEMSELVES rather than the team.

I didn't mind Sia Sia, I also didn't think Egu was that bad other than his 442 obsession. I especially didn't mind his 2006 team. Thought they were well drilled. But these guys are the exception.

Amokachi has made very discriminatory statements making to believe he would be horrible as coach.

Finidi George has done in 2 mere matches , more self discrediting than I have ever seen from any SE coach.

Amodu was very decent in retrospect. The main beef against him at the time was that we "struggled on the road" But again in retrospect that is just a silly and short-sighted beef , especially beimg much younger and less knowledgeable at the time.

Would he display the same bias and discrimination showed by the likes of Amokachi and Finidi George ? I do not know.

Beef with players
Promote junk players
Ignore genuine talents

Unfortunately local coaches have just shown there is always some corruption or extreme bias that follows them.

Bottomline is:

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

txj wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:04 pm

Beef with players
Promote junk players
Ignore genuine talents

Bottomline is:

Bottom line is that I do not have to worry a foreigner will INTENTIONALLY keep good players on the bench for whatever stupid reasons Finidi George did so.

Or worse not even call them up in the first place.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Beef with players
Promote junk players
Ignore genuine talents

You think Van City is Nigerian? Hell naw!!!! The conversation cannot start when we are not comrades. Everything he says is trash worthy. No value and truth.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

I am convinced Finidi will coach SE in the June World Cup qualifiers.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

That's some rocket science shait right there, ATF!

SMH . :veryangry: :mad:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

highbury wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:16 pm I am convinced Finidi will coach SE in the June World Cup qualifiers.
I'm convinced he won't...or least I wish you're wrong. I want to believe that they should have announced Findi by now if it were to be the case. The slowness to appoint someone and the lack of communication to that effect is nerve wracking. Can't wait till this board is done its tenure and hopefully better leadership comes in.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

greg wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:29 am
highbury wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:16 pm I am convinced Finidi will coach SE in the June World Cup qualifiers.
I'm convinced he won't...or least I wish you're wrong. I want to believe that they should have announced Findi by now if it were to be the case. The slowness to appoint someone and the lack of communication to that effect is nerve wracking. Can't wait till this board is done its tenure and hopefully better leadership comes in.
I guess time will tell who is right or wrong. A foreign coach does not have the time before our next game. No friendlies before the next game. That would be madness to change a coach then. To be frank with you, I cannot put it past the NFF to engage in madness. Don't forget these are the same people who fired Amodu because he didn't win Afcon even though he qualified Nigeria to the World Cup. The slaves hired lagerback after being hoodwinked by a power point presentation. Lagerback couldn't take us past the first round. He didn't even win a game. At the end, he got paid, smiled to the bank and the slaves continued in their mess. Did you see Lagerback working in any where of repute of late? He has secured his retirement courtesy of the slaves. Yet, slaves want more foreign coaches. We shall see. I just feel the there is a preponderance of reasonable people in the NFF
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:16 pm ...stupid is as stupid does!!!

The issue is not whether one likes local coaches or foreign coaches. That is just plain stupid!

There is no such thing as "local coaches" or "foreign coaches". Any more than they are not all black, or all white...

Kennedy Boboye is different from Finidi as they are both different from Jose Peseiro who is in turn different from Gernot Rohr.

So don't tell me that Nigeria must hire a "local coach" or a "foreign coach" for the SE. That is stupid as stupid does!!

What qualities does a George Finidi have that both differentiates and places him above George Ogunmodode or Pedro Goncalves and vice versa.

“All around us, we hear about some Nigerians who are excelling in all fields of endeavours and they are leaving the country to go and help other countries.

“Football is not a rocket science, but a simple game. We have lots of Nigerians who have all the qualifications to take us to any level.

“For me, I won’t suffer from colonial mentality again and enough of foreign coaches.

Whenever you hear someone speak like this about coaching, he is quietly telling you that he is ignorant about football.

Yes football is not rocket science, but neither is football, stupid as stupid does!!!

It requires creative intelligence. An understanding of "the science of football", and the tactical analysis on which it functions, which is about the organization of men in space and time.

Back in the day when I followed Leventis United, Nigerian coaches would sneer at such discussions as "book football". A few things have changed since Clemens Westerhof described Nigerian coaches as lacking in tactical details...as exemplified by listening to the ignorant Segun Odegbanmi!

Yes, Nigerians excel in multiple disciplines in the world. Their work in those disciplines speak for them.

There is no hiding place in football. If you are excelling in the game, football will find you!!!

But if you are as stupid as stupid gets, it does not matter whether you are Nigerian or German or Brazilian, football will never elevate you, unless equally stupid people do so!!

Today there are a new category of young coaches blazing new trails in the game. Roberto De Zerbi, Xabi Alonso, Fernando Diniz, Ruben Amorin, Thiago Motta.

More than two decades ago, I asked this same question in a publication in The Guardian. I noted that a Nigerian born coach with experience in European football and an understanding of the global game was best suited to lead the SE.

Without a professionally functioning league and without a professionally run club, where is the platform for such coaches to emerge and horn their skills?

- Ohenhen
- Bell
- Odegbanmi
Txj

Calling for a local coach makes sense when the non- Nigerian coach who is appointed is not the type that would make a significant difference. The NFF has often appointed very average European managers simply because they are Europeans and not because they really make a significant difference.

In my view, if the NFF cannot bring in a difference maker then it is legitimate to favor a local appointee. The NFF, in such circumstances, owes no one an apology when appointing a local manager.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:27 am

- Ohenhen
- Bell
- Odegbanmi
Txj

Calling for a local coach makes sense when the non- Nigerian coach who is appointed is not the type that would make a significant difference. The NFF has often appointed very average European managers simply because they are Europeans and not because they really make a significant difference.

In my view, if the NFF cannot bring in a difference maker then it is legitimate to favor a local appointee. The NFF, in such circumstances, owes no one an apology when appointing a local manager.
EII

What you said here makes sense except for one very important caveat.

Nigerian coaches have proven time and time again that they are incapable of working honestly for SE, and CANNOT keep their own personal agendas away from their tenure as coach.

Whether Keshis blatant corruption trying to sell and market sub par players.

Oliseh beefing with key players to show them who is boss

Amokachi talking openly about his disdain for foreign born players

Eguavoen calling up Onazi for a do or die match

Finidi George favoring sub par players and keeping key players on the bench to the detriment of HIS OWN chances to win the NFF over.

These simply are not the type of people I want anywhere near the management of SE.

If a foreigners only qualification is that he will handle the team IN AN HONEST MERITOCRATIC MANNER, then I will welcome that.

Nigerian coaches have proven themselves time and time again to be incapable of handling SE.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:07 am

- Ohenhen
- Bell
- Odegbanmi
Txj

EII

What you said here makes sense except for one very important caveat.

Nigerian coaches have proven time and time again that they are incapable of working honestly for SE, and CANNOT keep their own personal agendas away from their tenure as coach.

Whether Keshis blatant corruption trying to sell and market sub par players.

Oliseh beefing with key players to show them who is boss

Amokachi talking openly about his disdain for foreign born players

Eguavoen calling up Onazi for a do or die match

Finidi George favoring sub par players and keeping key players on the bench to the detriment of HIS OWN chances to win the NFF over.

These simply are not the type of people I want anywhere near the management of SE.

If a foreigners only qualification is that he will handle the team IN AN HONEST MERITOCRATIC MANNER, then I will welcome that.

Nigerian coaches have proven themselves time and time again to be incapable of handling SE.
Even though you are entitled your opinion, I am afraid you don't come from a place of fairness but plain old bigotry.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Michael Nsien meets the requirements. He's a former coach of Tulsa FC, Head Coach of the US u19 team and is an Assistant Coach of the US National team which is rated well ahead of Nigeria. He played for our Olympic team during qualifiers for the 2004 Olympics while a college student at UCLA. He of course has the highest qualifications: UEFA Pro, UEFA A, USSF A Licenses. He'll bring the organization from his US background and blend it with his knowledge of our terrain and football. I know he visits his home in Akwa Ibom yearly ( his Dad is a good friend). He also keeps close tabs with our players in Europe and some at home. I recall he signed Mfon Udoh, Solomon Kwambe and Raphael Ayagwa when he coached FC Tulsa.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

I will always counter this garbage Vancity spews about local coaches. I can listen to anyone in the forum who are pro foreign coaches, not Van City. He is not honest, and his views are so laced with personal agenda that I seriously question whether he is a Nigerian or whether he gets a kick back from the hiring of foreign coaches. He is always foaming at the mouth and virulent when we have a local coach but tame like puppy when a foreign coach is hired. Makes no sense. It is never based on results for him.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

highbury wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:06 am I will always counter this garbage Vancity spews about local coaches. I can listen to anyone in the forum who are pro foreign coaches, not Van City. He is not honest, and his views are so laced with personal agenda that I seriously question whether he is a Nigerian or whether he gets a kick back from the hiring of foreign coaches. He is always foaming at the mouth and virulent when we have a local coach but tame like puppy when a foreign coach is hired. Makes no sense. It is never based on results for him.
You have a point on VanCity and his bad attitude etc.
But why do you routinely insult the rest of us, calling us ‘slaves’ and WOWOs simply because we have a different take?.
Do you really think that’s what it’s all about?
’The’ White Man?

So you think if a Viera or a Rijkaard came along we’d say no?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

highbury wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:06 am I will always counter this garbage Vancity spews about local coaches. I can listen to anyone in the forum who are pro foreign coaches, not Van City. He is not honest, and his views are so laced with personal agenda that I seriously question whether he is a Nigerian or whether he gets a kick back from the hiring of foreign coaches. He is always foaming at the mouth and virulent when we have a local coach but tame like puppy when a foreign coach is hired. Makes no sense. It is never based on results for him.
You are a one track mind, and not a very bright one.

Instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks you will never address the legitimate points being made.

I have attacked every foreign coach from Rohr to Peseiro, for their tactics or lack there of. If you are honest you will admit this.

The difference is I have never seen a foreign coach intentionally sabotage the team with their bias, beefs, or dishonesty, corruption , or prejudice.

Why don't you address these points rather than your stupid talking points.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

- Ohenhen
- Bell
- Odegbanmi

PREFER TO BE STUPID IF FOREIGN DEPENDENCE IS WISDOM

Meanwhile, we will alert Elon Musk and Arnold Schwarzenegger about plans in the US to amend the constitution to allow foreign born citizens like them eligible to be president. Foolish Americans (also Europeans) limiting this office and therefore underperforming because they limited it to native born citizens instead of going for excellence and opening it to highly accomplished and intelligent people like these. I'm also proud that you called me out by name meaning that my position has been clear and consistent, probably rankling you as well.
Bell
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:31 am
You are a one track mind, and not a very bright one.

Instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks you will never address the legitimate points being made.

I have attacked every foreign coach from Rohr to Peseiro, for their tactics or lack there of. If you are honest you will admit this.

The difference is I have never seen a foreign coach intentionally sabotage the team with their bias, beefs, or dishonesty, corruption , or prejudice.

Why don't you address these points rather than your stupid talking points.
Do you really think you're insightful and full of diverse ideas? Give me a break! You don't come across as honest when discussing Nigerian-born coaches. You seem to believe that someone, merely by being born in Nigeria, is inherently unsuitable to coach the Super Eagles due to perceived issues of bias, corruption, etc. How does this mindset differ from that of a bigot?The fact that you've never witnessed a foreign coach engage in sabotage due to bias, corruption, or any other malevolent reason you concoct doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Are you aware that Westerhof promoted players to the national team who he was personally involved in their contracts with European clubs in Holland? No coach is perfect, whether local or foreign. Arguing that a coach is inadequate for the Super Eagles solely based on their place of birth is an incredibly foolish stance to take, and I cannot accept it. Anyone without an agenda can see the flaws in this argument. It seems only those who are not Nigerians or who benefit from the hiring of foreign coaches would support such a view.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bell wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:01 am

- Ohenhen
- Bell
- Odegbanmi

PREFER TO BE STUPID IF FOREIGN DEPENDENCE IS WISDOM

Meanwhile, we will alert Elon Musk and Arnold Schwarzenegger about plans in the US to amend the constitution to allow foreign born citizens like them eligible to be president. Foolish Americans (also Europeans) limiting this office and therefore underperforming because they limited it to native born citizens instead of going for excellence and opening it to highly accomplished and intelligent people like these. I'm also proud that you called me out by name meaning that my position has been clear and consistent, probably rankling you as well.
Bell

The irony is that you don't even watch enough football to hold even a stupid opinion much more a coherent one.

Nobody ever sees your moniker during SE games or matches involving SE players.

I suggest you go to R&R and remain there.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

- Ohenhen
- Bell
- Odegbanmi
Txj

You have made such little sense in the above post that I wonder if you bothered to read the OP.

The tag local coach or foreign coach is just a location.

What coaching quality is defined by mere location?

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:45 am

- Ohenhen
- Bell
- Odegbanmi
Txj

You have made such little sense in the above post that I wonder if you bothered to read the OP.

... but is Nigeria not a location? That very location matters and it is critical in the debate. You may then want to read the argument based on that issue of LOCATION.

You point to one variable - Quality. However, others do not believe Nigeria should only consider that variable. They, and I, point to an additional variable - location. There will, in this debate, be multiple other variables that may be essential. Examples include AGE, PERSONALITY, etc. For some, these variables may infact be subset of GOOD. It just depends but others will share their thoughts and hopefully you and others will be open to learning from differing ideas.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:22 am
txj wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:45 am

- Ohenhen
- Bell
- Odegbanmi
Txj

... but is Nigeria not a location? That very location matters and it is critical in the debate. You may then want to read the argument based on that issue of LOCATION.

You point to one variable - Quality. However, others do not believe Nigeria should only consider that variable. They, and I, point to an additional variable - location. There will, in this debate, be multiple other variables that may be essential. Examples include AGE, PERSONALITY, etc. For some, these variables may infact be subset of GOOD. It just depends but others will share their thoughts and hopefully you and others will be open to learning from differing ideas.

That's a whole lot of empty verbiage.

Quality in coaching is defined by multiple variables.

Location is neither a coaching variable nor a coaching quality. It has no relationship with any aspect of coaching.

If you know the relationship to any technical or other aspect of coaching please name it and let us know how that defines any coaches in the game.