‘We’re evaluating viability’ — Tony Elumelu hints at buying NPFL club

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
‘We’re evaluating viability’ — Tony Elumelu hints at buying NPFL club

Post by Lolly »

Things are slowly changing. If Elumelu succeeds in buying a club, he will raise the profile of the NPFL and other businessmen might follow suit. But it shouldn't be for CSR, but purely commercial.

Tony Elumelu, chairman of the United Bank of Africa (UBA) and Heirs Holdings, says his corporations are evaluating the “viability” of buying a club in the Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL).

Elumelu spoke on Monday while replying to a tweet calling for the involvement of more business corporations in the Nigerian football leagues.

Adebayo Mustapha, an X user, urged the federal government to “weigh in on the big corporations in Nigeria” to acquire controlling shares in “at least one league club as part of CSR”.

Mustapha gave hypothetical paring of teams and companies, adding that it would create “competition” in the league.

“Can we get the President and Ministry of Sport to weigh in on the big corporations in Nigeria to buy at least one league club as part of CSR? Imagine Dangote buys Kano Pillars, BUA buys Kwara United, Elumelu acquires Rivers United, and Geregu takes over 3sc. Imagine the competition,” the tweet reads.

Replying to the tweet, Elumelu said John Enoh, minister of sports, had pitched the offer to him, and the idea is being put through a feasibility test.

“This is a nice idea. The Sports Minister, senator John Enoh, is already thinking along this line and has approached me, and we are already evaluating viability,” the tweet reads.

Only three teams — Sporting Lagos, Remo Stars, and Doma United — out of the 20 NPFL teams are owned by private entities. The remaining clubs are government-owned.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ‘We’re evaluating viability’ — Tony Elumelu hints at buying NPFL club

Post by Dammy »

Vandrezzer FC, one of the best run private teams is about to fold up due to financial issues.
Elumelu could invest in the club to keep them afloat
I am happy
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Dammy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:59 pm Vandrezzer FC, one of the best run private teams is about to fold up due to financial issues.
Elumelu could invest in the club to keep them afloat
Hope his advisers are aware of this.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Great news. Dangote, Otedola, Oneyema, Davido, Alakija and other billionaire need to invest in football. Could be their best investment. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:48 pm Things are slowly changing. If Elumelu succeeds in buying a club, he will raise the profile of the NPFL and other businessmen might follow suit. But it shouldn't be for CSR, but purely commercial.

Tony Elumelu, chairman of the United Bank of Africa (UBA) and Heirs Holdings, says his corporations are evaluating the “viability” of buying a club in the Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL).

Elumelu spoke on Monday while replying to a tweet calling for the involvement of more business corporations in the Nigerian football leagues.

Adebayo Mustapha, an X user, urged the federal government to “weigh in on the big corporations in Nigeria” to acquire controlling shares in “at least one league club as part of CSR”.

Mustapha gave hypothetical paring of teams and companies, adding that it would create “competition” in the league.

“Can we get the President and Ministry of Sport to weigh in on the big corporations in Nigeria to buy at least one league club as part of CSR? Imagine Dangote buys Kano Pillars, BUA buys Kwara United, Elumelu acquires Rivers United, and Geregu takes over 3sc. Imagine the competition,” the tweet reads.

Replying to the tweet, Elumelu said John Enoh, minister of sports, had pitched the offer to him, and the idea is being put through a feasibility test.

“This is a nice idea. The Sports Minister, senator John Enoh, is already thinking along this line and has approached me, and we are already evaluating viability,” the tweet reads.

Only three teams — Sporting Lagos, Remo Stars, and Doma United — out of the 20 NPFL teams are owned by private entities. The remaining clubs are government-owned.
Tony and Aliko are cut from the same clothe.
Unless there's an 'angle'.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cellular wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:15 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:48 pm Things are slowly changing. If Elumelu succeeds in buying a club, he will raise the profile of the NPFL and other businessmen might follow suit. But it shouldn't be for CSR, but purely commercial.

Tell us more.

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:21 pm
Cellular wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:15 pm

Tell us more.
Not in a public forum.

Just know that they are two individuals that require an "angle". :(
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Community ownership model is my preferred option. But I would not be against this move. But it will be difficult to invest when you are competing against the state government. The league should be fully privatized.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:08 pm Great news. Dangote, Otedola, Oneyema, Davido, Alakija and other billionaire need to invest in football. Could be their best investment. :thumb:
...they are too lazy to exploit Nigerians love of the sport.
Why can they learn from oyinbos how to run and advertise business if they are truly billionaires.
Or fake billionaires like the orange clown we have here whose yansh was exposed by the New York AG.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Na people wey no know this man go dey jump for joy like JJC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mr. Public Image. :oops: :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:02 pm Na people wey no know this man go dey jump for joy like JJC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mr. Public Image. :oops: :roll:

Wha choo looking at?!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:30 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:02 pm Na people wey no know this man go dey jump for joy like JJC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mr. Public Image. :oops: :roll:
Shouldn’t your team win something first before you start showing off? You should know that coming 2nd is a win but an award from the opposition.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:51 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:30 pm
Shouldn’t your team win something first before you start showing off? You should know that coming 2nd is a win but an award from the opposition.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Wha choo looking at?!
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

He Shouldn’t waste his money, not with the number of corrupt referees in the league! NPFL where losing at home is a taboo. Abegi!
Peter Obi For President 2023
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I believe his father, a retired police officer, was an international goalkeeper for Nigeria in the days of the “Red Devils”
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Babalawo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:15 am He Shouldn’t waste his money, not with the number of corrupt referees in the league! NPFL where losing at home is a taboo. Abegi!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Some of you still do not know how Nigeria works. The money that them Babangida stole from your parents, asked him to hide and invest for them is now HIS money. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nigerians are the easiest people to steal from. They will not just give it to you freely, they will even thank you! :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:23 pm
Babalawo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:15 am He Shouldn’t waste his money, not with the number of corrupt referees in the league! NPFL where losing at home is a taboo. Abegi!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Some of you still do not know how Nigeria works. The money that them Babangida stole from your parents, asked him to hide and invest for them is now HIS money. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nigerians are the easiest people to steal from. They will not just give it to you freely, they will even thank you! :lol:

Wha choo looking at?!
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Seriously. Why do we just want to lie to our selves. Is not running a Football Team in Nigeria a loosing business?

Why do top Football business men who actually love football and Organizations of it run so FAR AWAY from it despite huge success upto Continental Fames? Quick to mind is Mr John Masteroudis of former Leventis United FC.

How many of you is ready to invest $50k in a club and just let it go in one year and don't expect anything back from ya $50k.?

Let me take it a step further, who here actually know what it costs to run a National Premier Team in just one Season? Who? if you do please tell us here. And how many peeps can be throwing such money out year in year out. Because its clear these clubs right now run by the State are not viable for anything but politics.

No matter how rich I am I will not do that. I will rather build schools that will last when I am gone.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Agbako wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:05 pm Seriously. Why do we just want to lie to our selves. Is not running a Football Team in Nigeria a loosing business?

Why do top Football business men who actually love football and Organizations of it run so FAR AWAY from it despite huge success upto Continental Fames? Quick to mind is Mr John Masteroudis of former Leventis United FC.

How many of you is ready to invest $50k in a club and just let it go in one year and don't expect anything back from ya $50k.?

Let me take it a step further, who here actually know what it costs to run a National Premier Team in just one Season? Who? if you do please tell us here. And how many peeps can be throwing such money out year in year out. Because its clear these clubs right now run by the State are not viable for anything but politics.

No matter how rich I am I will not do that. I will rather build schools that will last when I am gone.
We hear you that football in Nigeria is not a profitable business but have you heard of Kunle Soname? I don’t know if he has broken even yet but I suspect he is in it for the long term. Maybe he has seen something you cannot see yet.