WALDRUM WARNS NFF ON OLYMPIC PREPARATIONS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
WALDRUM WARNS NFF ON OLYMPIC PREPARATIONS

Post by jette1 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/68778982
Nigeria boss Randy Waldrum has warned his side must prepare professionally to be able to challenge for a medal at the 2024 Olympic Games women's football tournament.

The Super Falcons and Zambia booked their places in Paris as African qualifying culminated on Tuesday.

Nigeria, ranked 36th in the world, will return to the Olympics for the first time since 2008.

"Now my plea and challenge is to the Minister of Sport and to the federation - to help us prepare properly," Waldrum said.

The West Africans qualified after securing a goalless draw away against South Africa in Pretoria, progressing 1-0 on aggregate thanks to Rasheedat Ajibade's winner in the first leg.

The Super Falcons will face World Cup holders Spain, former world champions Japan and Brazil in Group C in Paris.

"We need a camp in Europe to prepare for the group that we have - we need proper training, we need proper transportation," Waldrum, 67, added.

"We need to do things right because these women deserve this opportunity to represent our country of Nigeria in the best possible way."

Eleven-time continental champions Nigeria will be making their fourth appearance at the Olympics, with their best previous result a quarter-final exit in Athens in 2004.

The Super Falcons reached the last 16 at the Women's World Cup last year, losing to eventual runners-up England on penalties.

"With this field being small in the Olympics, every team is a top team," American Waldrum added.

"And if you look at our group, again - like the World Cup - it's the group of death, so to speak.

"Sixteen years without qualifying is a long time and I am extremely proud of the girls. There is work to be done when it comes to our attack, and we will improve before heading to France."

Meanwhile, Zambia overturned a first-leg deficit in Morocco to secure back-to-back qualifications for the Olympics.

Trailing 2-1 on aggregate, captain Barbra Banda levelled the tie in the 38th minute to send the match at the Moulay Hassan Stadium in Rabat to extra time.

And the Orlando Pride striker netted the winner from the penalty spot in the 105th minute to give the Copper Queens a 3-2 win overall.

The Zambians, ranked 65th in the world, will be in a tough Group B in Paris along with four-time Olympic champions the United States, 2016 winners Germany and World Cup semi-finalists Australia.

Zambia suffered a group-stage exit at the 2020 Games in Tokyo, although Banda became the first woman to score successive hat-tricks at a single Olympics.

The women's football tournament at the 2024 Olympic Games begins on 25 July, a day before the opening ceremony in Paris, with the final on 10 August.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: WALDRUM WARNS NFF ON OLYMPIC PREPARATIONS

Post by ohenhen1 »

Sports Ministry is in charge of Olympics not the NFF. But I agree they need to support him.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:25 pm Sports Ministry is in charge of Olympics not the NFF. But I agree they need to support him.
They should replace him with Finidi.
OCCUPY NFF!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:25 pm Sports Ministry is in charge of Olympics not the NFF. But I agree they need to support him.
NFF is in charge of all footballing activities, angel* !!

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

jette1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:40 pm
Na Sports Ministry is in charge of the Olympics.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:12 pm
They should replace him with Finidi.
Maybe Herve Renard. The ladies like the Hair and he is already coaching the Womens team in France. So he has experience.

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Is the NFF funding the campaign? No; therefore, every effort must be made to appeal to the Sports ministry to commit fully to supporting the SuperFalcons on their Olympic adventure🤔❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:09 am
Is the NFF funding the campaign? No; therefore, every effort must be made to appeal to the Sports ministry to commit fully to supporting the SuperFalcons on their Olympic adventure🤔❗️

Cheers.
:thumb:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Rather than, Randy spend two weeks in Nigeria, liaising with the Minister of sports, Nigeria Olympics Committee, Chairperson of the Senate and House of representatives committee to secure funding and venue for preparation....He is barking orders from America or South Africa after the match.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

fabio wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:06 am Rather than, Randy spend two weeks in Nigeria, liaising with the Minister of sports, Nigeria Olympics Committee, Chairperson of the Senate and House of representatives committee to secure funding and venue for preparation....He is barking orders from America or South Africa after the match.
Did you watch the post match interview ??
If not go on utube and watch it and then tell us which part is barking orders

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

jette1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:46 pm
fabio wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:06 am Rather than, Randy spend two weeks in Nigeria, liaising with the Minister of sports, Nigeria Olympics Committee, Chairperson of the Senate and House of representatives committee to secure funding and venue for preparation....He is barking orders from America or South Africa after the match.
He is issuing preparation plans to the sports ministry via press conference.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

fabio wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:08 pm
Dude I hope you aren’t serious, I would wonder how you navigate through

greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

I would have done that too as it puts pressure on the authorities. He tried liaising with the NFF etc last time around and it didn't quite work out leading him to resort to the media. NFF received a lot of unwanted attention and even FIFA started "ring fencing" money meant for players. Out in the open, there is nowhere for NFF to hide as everyone knows what they need to do before the Olympics.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

I like Waldrum. He seems like a Westerhof type of coach that understands our shenanigans and is not afraid to say his piece. Besides, did y'all see a video of him and his assistants assisting with pushing a stalled car on the road in Nigeria.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

packerland wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:01 pm I like Waldrum. He seems like a Westerhof type of coach that understands our shenanigans and is not afraid to say his piece. Besides, did y'all see a video of him and his assistants assisting with pushing a stalled car on the road in Nigeria.
Westerhof lived in Nigeria and used his networks to achieve results.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

packerland wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:01 pm I like Waldrum. He seems like a Westerhof type of coach that understands our shenanigans and is not afraid to say his piece. Besides, did y'all see a video of him and his assistants assisting with pushing a stalled car on the road in Nigeria.
Yes we saw that but there is a lot of liabilities involved in the seemingly simple benevolent act especially in a zoo like Nigeria. I would advice he doesn’t partake in such anymore as much as he want to display a Texan spirit