How many world class players do we have?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Aswani
Egg
Egg
Re: How many world class players do we have?

Post by Aswani »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 pm
Aswani wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:05 pm
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

There are women that my friends have thought looked pretty that I have wondered what they are thinking and vice versa, I respect your choice as we have different stories.
You prove my point. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder (like "favoritism"), world class is NOT in the eye of the beholder. A person can say Eric Dier is a fantastic player and he is their most favorite player, but that person cannot say that Dier is World class. It doesnt work that way!
If the man or woman can state reasons why they think Eric Dier is world class, why not? Football is not Judaism where the Pharisees and Sadducees hold the key to anyone being named World Class. Don't forget I listed the attributes of Ola Aina, that he plays for Forest is not a problem for me, I know the rotten underbelly of players and agents to not consider that a factor.

I went to Highbury once supporting the away team (yes that long ago), it was one game but Emmanuel Petit and Davor Suker were world class to me that day and watching them on TV from them on, their standards never dropped. Allen Boskic I saw play for Middlesboro a few times, wasted in that team but to me clearly World Class.

My choice and I am happy with it.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Aswani wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:52 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 pm
Aswani wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:05 pm
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

There are women that my friends have thought looked pretty that I have wondered what they are thinking and vice versa, I respect your choice as we have different stories.
You prove my point. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder (like "favoritism"), world class is NOT in the eye of the beholder. A person can say Eric Dier is a fantastic player and he is their most favorite player, but that person cannot say that Dier is World class. It doesnt work that way!
If the man or woman can state reasons why they think Eric Dier is world class, why not? Football is not Judaism where the Pharisees and Sadducees hold the key to anyone being named World Class. Don't forget I listed the attributes of Ola Aina, that he plays for Forest is not a problem for me, I know the rotten underbelly of players and agents to not consider that a factor.

I went to Highbury once supporting the away team (yes that long ago), it was one game but Emmanuel Petit and Davor Suker were world class to me that day and watching them on TV from them on, their standards never dropped. Allen Boskic I saw play for Middlesboro a few times, wasted in that team but to me clearly World Class.

My choice and I am happy with it.
Once again , thats NOT how it works. You can call George Baldock of Sheffield United a world class player all you like, but it will NEVER make him one. You can be happy with it all you like, but it will NEVER make him a world class player.

Also, to your second point, there is such a thing called a "world class performance," what fans call "an absolute worldie!" The performance can be that, but it doesnt make the player a world class player.

P.s- I like Aina. He has proven that he is talented and also his performances at the AFCON and for Forrest show a very very top player in there. And I will take him ahead of multiple of those in the link with the 25 RBs I posted. But he is NOT world class. He needs to perform at the highest level (CL and World Cup + EPL), in the highest way and on a consistent basis, year in year out for multiple seasons (At least 2-3 seasons), in order to be put in the same breath as Cafu, Maicon, Thuram, Dani Alves and today - Kyle Walker.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:24 pm
Once again , thats NOT how it works. You can call George Baldock of Sheffield United a world class player all you like, but it will NEVER make him one. You can be happy with it all you like, but it will NEVER make him a world class player.

Also, to your second point, there is such a thing called a "world class performance," what fans call "an absolute worldie!" The performance can be that, but it doesnt make the player a world class player.

P.s- I like Aina. He has proven that he is talented and also his performances at the AFCON and for Forrest show a very very top player in there. And I will take him ahead of multiple of those in the link with the 25 RBs I posted. But he is NOT world class. He needs to perform at the highest level (CL and World Cup + EPL), in the highest way and on a consistent basis, year in year out for multiple seasons (At least 2-3 seasons), in order to be put in the same breath as Cafu, Maicon, Thuram, Dani Alves and today - Kyle Walker.

With the utmost of respect, you or whoever don't get to make the rules for me to abide by. This is with reference to your "That's not how it works".

I also know none of the people disagreeing with me are not saying Ola Aina is not a good player (sorry for the double negative), they are just not happy about me calling him World Class. That is very okay, I won't force you to tag him as World class, allowed me to tag him as what I want.

I used to watch Bendel Insurance at Ogbe stadium many moons ago. Nicholas Ubido will come on as sub and run around like a mad man, even Iyobosa used to shout accusations of him drinking kain kain before coming to play. You open the Sunday Observer the next day and the reporter is there name checking Nicholas Ubido and praising his contribution to the high heavens. Me and my friends would pass the paper round and fall about laughing. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

You call Troost Ekong's, performance at AFCON a worldie, I call it a world class performance. The beauty of English language, you say Tomato, I say tomatoe, nutin spoil, no bi so?

One final thing about Kyle Walker, super player. Very suspect positioning though but blessed with speed so easily makes up for any mistakes, good going forward but (to me) nothing special in that regard. Positional intelligence wise, reminds me of a Central Defender called Des Walker sometime ago, the Forest fans used to chant "you'll never beat Des Walker" and nobody did in the English league. He goes to Sampdoria and his lack of positional intelligence caught up with him and quickly. Des Walker was shifted to left back where he could make mistakes that could be covered. Came back to Sheffield Wednesday with his tail between his legs less than two seasons after and was never the same. Kyle is earning the fortune Des didn't earn in England then so doesn't have to go to Spain or Italy, good on him. Like I said, super player but not World class to me for the reason I stated.

Apologies for the long text.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Aswani wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:57 pm
Apologies for the long text.
you dont need to apologize, I didnt read it.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?