How many world class players do we have?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How many world class players do we have?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

marutimon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:24 pm Victor Osimhen, and maybe soon Victor Boniface. Behind them Bassey, Lookman.
Osihmen is an elite world class player in the same class as Mbappe and DeBruyne, there only a handful of such players in the world. There’re also world class players who are not in the elite who play for some of the best teams in the world. For example, Diaz of Liverpool is a world class player but he’s not an elite world class player in his position.
OCCUPY NFF!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:33 pm
marutimon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:24 pm Victor Osimhen, and maybe soon Victor Boniface. Behind them Bassey, Lookman.
Osihmen is an elite world class player in the same class as Mbappe and DeBruyne, there only a handful of such players in the world. There’re also world class players who are not in the elite who play for some of the best teams in the world. For example, Diaz of Liverpool is a world class player but he’s not an elite world class player in his position.
World class has no gradation. You are either world class or you are not. Diaz is NOT world class. he is a very talented and fantastic player. However, to be world class, he needs to perform at Salah's level for multiple seasons and bring titles to Liverpool (as in, be the reason his team win titles).

Today, Liverpool has only 2 world class players - Salah and Allisson. I'd have added Van Dijk, but he cant maintain top level over multiple seasons; and we all know as talented as Trent is, he cant defend.

p.s-- the reason you have to do it for multiple seasons like Salah and other world class players is because some people do it for one seasons - out of luck or circumstance.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:26 am How many of our players are world class players at their relative positions? Good enough to be a starter for a top 5 team in a top 5 league in the Epl, Spain, Germany, Italy or France.

I think we have 6. Osihmen, Okoye, Bassey, , Boniface, Chukwueze and Sanusi. I know a lot of people don’t rate Sanusi but dude is a defensive beast at the LB position. He barely makes but he makes it.
To be a World Class Player, you have to be on the starting lineup every single time for the Top 5 teams in the Top 5 leagues in Europe (France: top 2 or 3), and Champions League winners in the last 30years of none Top 5 and still getting to atleast CL knock out stage. (Porto, Ajax)

Osimhen and Sanusi are the only World Class players we have.

Chukwueze has to be a consistent starters for AC Milan for a full season.

Bassey is not but he has potentials. He was shipped out from a world class team to relegation battlers.

Okoye is not even playing in a world class team but has potentials.

Boniface has potentials but he needs to play in the CL with Leverkusen and Win it or atleast get to the finals.

Lookman has to step up to a top 5 club but he has potentials.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Only Osimhen. Boniface is a potential candidate. We need to see how his career unfolds.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

chief nfachairman wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:53 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:26 am How many of our players are world class players at their relative positions? Good enough to be a starter for a top 5 team in a top 5 league in the Epl, Spain, Germany, Italy or France.

I think we have 6. Osihmen, Okoye, Bassey, , Boniface, Chukwueze and Sanusi. I know a lot of people don’t rate Sanusi but dude is a defensive beast at the LB position. He barely makes but he makes it.
To be a World Class Player, you have to be on the starting lineup every single time for the Top 5 teams in the Top 5 leagues in Europe (France: top 2 or 3), and Champions League winners in the last 30years of none Top 5 and still getting to atleast CL knock out stage. (Porto, Ajax)

Osimhen and Sanusi are the only World Class players we have.

Chukwueze has to be a consistent starters for AC Milan for a full season.

Bassey is not but he has potentials. He was shipped out from a world class team to relegation battlers.

Okoye is not even playing in a world class team but has potentials.

Boniface has potentials but he needs to play in the CL with Leverkusen and Win it or atleast get to the finals.

Lookman has to step up to a top 5 club but he has potentials.
How is Sanusi World class? You would think to be world class as a full back you have to attack and defend well. Sanusi’s offensive game is very poor and we saw it at AFCON. Go watch Grimaldo and Frimpong play and you might have to rethink your definition of World Class.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Ola Aina fits this bill. Clearly carrying an injury in the final of AFCON which the team couldn't overcome and that says a lot.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Aswani wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:57 pm Ola Aina fits this bill. Clearly carrying an injury in the final of AFCON which the team couldn't overcome and that says a lot.
So, if Stanley Nwabali had been injured and cost Nigeria the game, would you call him World Class?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Aswani wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:57 pm Ola Aina fits this bill. Clearly carrying an injury in the final of AFCON which the team couldn't overcome and that says a lot.
Aswani

First let me state that Aina was one of Nigeria's best at the AFCON and arguably should have been considered for the tournament Xi. However, he is not a world class player. It is a bit surprising that your criteria is the effect of his injury on Nigeria. Let me point out that any injured player who players in such a crucial game would have constituted a weL line for the team. But would that singular criterion make such a player world class? For instance, let's assume that Uzoho was starter. If he was injures and it leads to a bug loss would that immediately make Uzoho world class? Thus, the effect of injury and the classification of a player as world class is indeed surprising
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

There is no world class player playing for a tin pot club like Fulham. Please stop it! :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Ola Aina is at Forest, isn't he?

For me anyway, he is World Class. maybe my criteria needed explaining better to not be taken at face value.

He is a super defender, very skilful, deceptively quick, very good technically (controlling the ball and passing) and he reminds me of Anobi Yisa who was another World class player to me at least.

My choice and I am happy with it.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Aswani wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:12 pm Ola Aina is at Forest, isn't he?

For me anyway, he is World Class. maybe my criteria needed explaining better to not be taken at face value.

He is a super defender, very skilful, deceptively quick, very good technically (controlling the ball and passing) and he reminds me of Anobi Yisa who was another World class player to me at least.

Aswani

I agree that Aina is all that but I will not label him world class yet. He does YET have a glaring deficiency-- poor in the air. That should matter. Beyond that, he is a great player but I will not label him World Class and certainly not now.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tinubu is a handsome man. My choice and I am happy with it.

You see, we can all say silly things and be happy with it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:46 am

Aswani

I agree that Aina is all that but I will not label him world class yet. He does YET have a glaring deficiency-- poor in the air. That should matter. Beyond that, he is a great player but I will not label him World Class and certainly not now.
they listed the top 25 right backs in Europe, Aina didnt even make the list. :lol: 25!?

https://www.90min.com/posts/the-25-best ... all-ranked
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

We have just one - Victor Osimhen!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The only Nigerians listed in those top 25 lists of all positions (GK,RB,LB,CB,DM,CM,LW,RW,ST) are our two Victors at striker…which makes sense, let’s not cheapen what world class is just to list the likes of Okoye simply because you are excited they are playing for a club…esp a club right above the relegation mark…like come on…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:26 pm The only Nigerians listed in those top 25 lists of all positions (GK,RB,LB,CB,DM,CM,LW,RW,ST) are our two Victors at striker…which makes sense, let’s not cheapen what world class is just to list the likes of Okoye simply because you are excited they are playing for a club…esp a club right above the relegation mark…like come on…
Mace

I guess world class has now become 15 for N1? Kai, nothing wey man no go read for cyber! If na true say our team for of World Class, so how many wey Kitchen FC for Lesotho get?
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Boniface.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:52 am

You see, we can all say silly things and be happy with it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

There are women that my friends have thought looked pretty that I have wondered what they are thinking and vice versa, I respect your choice as we have different stories.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:59 am

Aswani

they listed the top 25 right backs in Europe, Aina didnt even make the list. :lol: 25!?

https://www.90min.com/posts/the-25-best ... all-ranked
Again that's their choice. A lot of people claimed Beckham was world class, I didn't see it myself, once more I respected their decision.

I've had a look at the list, I will take Ola Aina over every single one, my choice.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Aswani

Uncle Enugu II, first off, I thank you for the honour of having a say on my humble opinion and respectfully adding your two penneth. much appreciated sir and I take your point.

Ashley Cole wasn't the best in the air, he was called World Class and I agree.

For me, your full back doesn't need to be good in the air, principle job is to win their individual battles, pocketing the opposing winger like Ashley Cole did in the Portuguese Euro's against Ronaldo mano a mano (saw Anobi Yisa do that almost every time in the league). Add onto that being able to pour forward to support the attack and turning the person you are marking round.

Oh I forgot to mention, he can seemingly play anywhere on the pitch, due to his skillset, apart from maybe Striker.

Also, captain Troost Ekong put in a World Class performance, to me, at the AFCON (same as Canavarro at World Cup 2006), he isn't World class in my opinion though.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:20 pm
maceo4 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:26 pm The only Nigerians listed in those top 25 lists of all positions (GK,RB,LB,CB,DM,CM,LW,RW,ST) are our two Victors at striker…which makes sense, let’s not cheapen what world class is just to list the likes of Okoye simply because you are excited they are playing for a club…esp a club right above the relegation mark…like come on…
Mace

I guess world class has now become 15 for N1? Kai, nothing wey man no go read for cyber! If na true say our team for of World Class, so how many wey Kitchen FC for Lesotho get?
:lol: :lol:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Aswani wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:05 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:52 am

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

There are women that my friends have thought looked pretty that I have wondered what they are thinking and vice versa, I respect your choice as we have different stories.
You prove my point. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder (like "favoritism"), world class is NOT in the eye of the beholder. A person can say Eric Dier is a fantastic player and he is their most favorite player, but that person cannot say that Dier is World class. It doesnt work that way!
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

I am not cheapening being World class, that has already been done over and over again by media fan boys, those people that drew up the list have their opinion which is all well and good, I have my own.

I have also tried my best to explain why, which has been countered by only one poster, as it is all I can do.

The day I stopped trusting these lists and nonsense stuff in the media was when David Beckham was voted the second best player in the world (sorry for brining him up again, it's nothing personal) playing in a midfield of Giggs, Keane, Scholes and himself. Season ticket holders at United I knew all to a man chuckled at it as none of them thought he was one of the top three midfielders at the club. Great player to bring in as sub though, I'll never forget his performance against Real Madrid one year.

My humble take.