ANNOYED AS HELL....Rumors on the proposed hiring of Dutch Manager

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: ANNOYED AS HELL....Rumors on the proposed hiring of Dutch Manager

Post by Damunk »

Cmoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am My sources tell me it is between Finidi and the Hausa man wey collect bribe!

More later!
And you will complain when they describe a rapist as a Nigerian but refer to him as an American when he wins a sprinting medal for the USA.
You guys are incorrigible.
Why does nobody ever refer to Siasia as the Ijaw man banned by FIFA for corruption?
Because ethnicity is not the issue.
That’s bigotry.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

We are what we are
That is why they tell you, dont disgrace your family, tribe. country or race!

Damunk wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:22 am
Cmoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am My sources tell me it is between Finidi and the Hausa man wey collect bribe!

More later!
And you will complain when they describe a rapist as a Nigerian but refer to him as an American when he wins a sprinting medal for the USA.
You guys are incorrigible.
Why does nobody ever refer to Siasia as the Ijaw man banned by FIFA for corruption?
Because ethnicity is not the issue.
That’s bigotry.
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:05 am
ugly boy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:57 pm
Schillachi wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:22 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:34 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:19 pm I’m all out for Finidi unless we come up with a performing and experienced foreign coach.
Meanwhile I hate this ‘white’ coach narrative instead of ‘foreign’ coach
It’s so patronizing and deliberately framed that way by our Nigerian Freedom Fighters keen on showing they are proud black people. :roll:

But sentiments aside, can you publish the Managerial records of all three for comparison?
Playing careers have nothing to do with it.
Some of the top managers in the world had mediocre playing careers or non at all, while some of the world’s very best footballers spectacularly failed as managers.

So their managerial careers is what’s important and it would be nice to compare the records of Finidi, Amuneke and this guy who as u rightly said, nobody knows.
Damunk

As you mentioned, the annoying thing is that this guy is a non achiever. I am stating as per his managerial career.! Compare to Finidi who won the League at Enyimba and we cannot even compare their playing career. You can simply Google the guy's career.

NFF hiring this guy or someone of his calber will be a travesty.
if Finidi started our best players against Mali and made more than 2 subs, he will easily be the favorite to get the job. He made it very clear that he was unfit for the job, period!
Gbam
Bros, that incidence in a friendly is not enough for me. So he should be ditched for this non-performer because of non-substitution of players? Really?
It’s not enough to fire any manager but he isn’t the manager yet. He is the interim manager and the only one gunning for the job that is able to showcase what is coming. It’s like interviewing a candidate and seeing the red flags. Those flags may cause you to pass for another person however it may not be enough to fire them
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ugly boy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:21 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:19 pm I’m all out for Finidi unless we come up with a performing and experienced foreign coach.
It’s so patronizing and deliberately framed that way by our Nigerian Freedom Fighters keen on showing they are proud black people. :roll:

But sentiments aside, can you publish the Managerial records of all three for comparison?
Some of the top managers in the world had mediocre playing careers or non at all, while some of the world’s very best footballers spectacularly failed as managers.

So their managerial careers is what’s important and it would be nice to compare the records of Finidi, Amuneke and this guy who as u rightly said, nobody knows.
Damunk

As you mentioned, the annoying thing is that this guy is a non achiever. I am stating as per his managerial career.! Compare to Finidi who won the League at Enyimba and we cannot even compare their playing career. You can simply Google the guy's career.

if Finidi started our best players against Mali and made more than 2 subs, he will easily be the favorite to get the job. He made it very clear that he was unfit for the job, period!
Gbam
Bros, that incidence in a friendly is not enough for me. So he should be ditched for this non-performer because of non-substitution of players? Really?
It’s not enough to fire any manager but he isn’t the manager yet. He is the interim manager and the only one gunning for the job that is able to showcase what is coming. It’s like interviewing a candidate and seeing the red flags. Those flags may cause you to pass for another person however it may not be enough to fire them
ugly boy,

I agree that it certainly will cause one to ponder. It should.

However, I do not think it is a breaking point on whether one is to be hired or not. It ain't going to be because of substitutions. There are bigger issues, far bigger issues. If those bigger issues such as strategic match issues, overall management issues are above board then those and the issue of substitution should be considered wholistically.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:50 pm Yesterday, I had an annoying conversation with an NFF official on the issue of hiring a manager for the SE. I will keep the name of the official anonymous but will discuss the kernel of the issue. My understanding is that pone of the managers that someone is pushing for is one Danny Buijs, the Dutch manager at Eredivisie club Fortuna Sittard.
Danny Buijs

First, I never heard of this guy until the conversation. I then went on wiki to learn a bit more. Well, he is on Wiki which means at least a few people know him. After all he is coaching in the Eredivisie. I give him that prop. But what exactly is his record? He has been coaching since 2016. But his record, to state the least, is unremarkable. At Groningen, he won 50 games but lost 60! As a footballer, he was unremarkable.

Now, compare him to Finidi George, think of George’s international career and then think of his club career. This Buijs’ guy is not even fit to clean Finidi’s shoe both as player and as manager. Finidi started his managerial career a bit later than Buijs but has won the league as Manager. What exactly has Buijs done as Manager? If this does not rile you, then I wonder what would.

Clearly, to me, some of these NFF guys are simply swept off their feet simply because someone is European but granted, we know that such thinking is widely present also on CE. It is also possible that a push for guys like Buijs is based on the under the table monetary benefits that occur, reportedly, from hiring of a foreign national as Manager.

What exactly does this guy have that the likes of Finidi, Amuneke, and others don’t? In my view if you want to hire a non-Nigerian it is okay, but it better be one that clearly is a difference masker. Buijs is not that guy.
Prof., I didn't know people still get angry at what goes on with Naijaria and Naijarians?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:03 pm
packerland wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:17 pm I’m all for hiring a foreign coach but this one makes no sense. I’m sorry but some people at the NFF must be getting a cut from hiring these journey man foreign coaches. Finidi did let us down big time but I’ll rather give him a few more chances than hiring this underachiever. Now our resident black panthers that like to call people WOWO will act like they didn’t see my post denouncing hiring this Dutch coach.
I love this.
I will,adopt it.
I’ve been calling them Nigerian Freedom Fighters (NFF), but I prefer yours. :rotf:
Of course both of you are of the same persuasion.

What really grates my bones is that you both are part of the people that enable these frauds running NFF under the guise, of "I just want a competent coach I don't care where he comes from".

Where he comes from is a valid concern if the hiring process was fair.

Articles upon articles written about discrimination, bias, and inequality in the hiring process of BLACK COACHES are all over the place for you guys to read even if you are willfully ignorant but you parrot the same jive.

You have your job because someone broke the barrier. Not because you are special... but because someone broke the barrier, that hiring you is no longer seen as a novelty.

These crooks at the NFF read online chatter... you, Packerland, and the rest are the ones who give them the impetus to go the route they are going because they will cite that "online fan chatter is divided".
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:35 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 pm

Until the day Nigerian coaches can get the same level of access to European managers, judging merely by teams coached is wrong. And while it may annoy you, it doesn't change the fact that there is a white coach boas in Nigeria (and a few other African countries).

On the Fortuna Sittard coach, by all means he should be considered but if I were on the panel I would want to understand what he knows about African football. He might not be such a bad choice as I've just read that he likes to play intense, fast paced football. He is also young and hungry.
Aruako, what exactly is it about African football that is so unique and challenging?
Is it speed? Athleticism? Physical strength?
There is no rocket science in African football that any half decent coach cannot figure out.

If any decent coach - foreign or local - fails in Africa it will not be because of factors inherent in the game itself, but simply because he’s not good enough, or he doesn’t have good enough players, or the system is incompetent or inadequate.

Personally, I feel this ‘African factor’ is wildly overrated. It sounds good but means very little.
This African game as it seems to exist in the minds of many, has done little or nothing on the global stage.
And it’s the global stage Nigeria should be aiming at.
We need to shoot for the stars and not just the sky.
African Football is very different. At least the qualification phase of things. **** spent years trying to use the Super Eagles to learn the African game. Peseiro the same.

There are off the field issues you have to manage yourself that most managers don't get to experience. You have to have a backup plan for EVERYTHING. You can't even trust your FA to do the simple tasks. The logistics of invitations, travel, bonuses, pre-gameday plans, gameday plan and execution to even lobbying for the sequence of games (who plays at home first), worrying about officiating and which officials from which country to avoid handling matches. Knowing the type of players conducive to playing in the different climates and altitudes in Africa. Man, there's a lot to learn. Go listen to Amodu or Keshi when they were trying to get us World Cup tickets when the previous coaches had left us in the frying pan.

The hardest part in Managing the Super Eagles is not the coaching part. It is the management part.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:20 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:24 pm Enugu, but he coached and coaches one of the lower teams in holland, the fact that he has 50 wins , 28 draws and 60 loses isn't a bad result for coaching Groningen. His current team Fortuna are 10th in the Eredivisie
Coaching career
On 1 June 2022, Buijs was hired by Belgian club Mechelen.[9] On 17 October 2022 he was sacked and replaced by assistant Steven Defour. [10]

This is the kind of simplistic analysis that EII makes for dumbing down a discussion!

50 wins, 60 losses.
1 leg good, 2 legs better!!! Just like in Animal Farm!!!

I don't know who this guy is, but I tried to look him up to see how he models his game. Then recall watching the game vs Ajax cus of my boy Hendo...

I don't know if he's any good for the SE, but you have to assess any manager seriously or don't do it!

This is a manager of a low tier club whose ambitions are to survive relegation each season.
Context matters.

As does Finidi winning the league in the NPFL...
It is a BIG deal to win the NPFL.

What I wish for you is for Rafa Benitez to go back to Liverpool.
He has an impeccable resume. I believe he would do wonders at Liverpool... have you guys fighting for relegation just to prove that he knows the game. :roll: :roll:

We know you. You haven't seen an oyibo coach you don't think is superior to a black coach. So anything you say is to denigrate black coaches.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Damunk

Gbam
Seems you don't get it. The failure to not start our best team and not use subs do not seem to be tactical errors! They were deliberate and are indicative of an integrity problem...
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:18 pm
txj wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:20 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:24 pm Enugu, but he coached and coaches one of the lower teams in holland, the fact that he has 50 wins , 28 draws and 60 loses isn't a bad result for coaching Groningen. His current team Fortuna are 10th in the Eredivisie
Coaching career
On 1 June 2022, Buijs was hired by Belgian club Mechelen.[9] On 17 October 2022 he was sacked and replaced by assistant Steven Defour. [10]

This is the kind of simplistic analysis that EII makes for dumbing down a discussion!

50 wins, 60 losses.
1 leg good, 2 legs better!!! Just like in Animal Farm!!!

I don't know who this guy is, but I tried to look him up to see how he models his game. Then recall watching the game vs Ajax cus of my boy Hendo...

I don't know if he's any good for the SE, but you have to assess any manager seriously or don't do it!

This is a manager of a low tier club whose ambitions are to survive relegation each season.
Context matters.

As does Finidi winning the league in the NPFL...
It is a BIG deal to win the NPFL.

What I wish for you is for Rafa Benitez to go back to Liverpool.
He has an impeccable resume. I believe he would do wonders at Liverpool... have you guys fighting for relegation just to prove that he knows the game. :roll: :roll:

We know you. You haven't seen an oyibo coach you don't think is superior to a black coach. So anything you say is to denigrate black coaches.

Without context any analysis is worthless.
And it seems that you don't understand this.

For all your posturing here you were one the many Siasia or Oliseh haters here. Two coaches that I actually supported
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

bushboy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:19 pm As long as his teams play good, free-flowing attacking football, then I'm ok with it.

He will have better players to work with in the SE than the Eredivisie. His philosophy is all I care about. After all, Alonso did nothing until he got a chance with good players at Leverkusen.
SO YOU ALREADY LIKE HIM, SIGHT UNSEEN

For many, it looks like a Nigerian has to prove that he can do the job, so there's hesitancy with trepidation in hiring one. On the other hand, a foreigner has to prove that he cannot do the job. I think that's why unknown foreign coaches like this gentleman are immediately assigned credibility and his perceived shortcomings are explained away. So he's immediately acceptable even when little is known of him.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

gochino wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:24 pm
packerland wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:17 pm I’m all for hiring a foreign coach but this one makes no sense. I’m sorry but some people at the NFF must be getting a cut from hiring these journey man foreign coaches. Finidi did let us down big time but I’ll rather give him a few more chances than hiring this underachiever. Now our resident black panthers that like to call people WOWO will act like they didn’t see my post denouncing hiring this Dutch coach.
This is exactly what we are talking about! Finidi let us down big time?? How? Because he lost a meaningless friendly game? Meanwhile Peseiro won less than 10% of his friendly games
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? YES, A MEANINGLESS FRIENDLY MATCH

Anyone who follows any sports knows that coaches frequently do not play their veteran players in pre-season (exhibition, friendlies) games. That's why they don't always field their best players (except in cameo appearances to please the paying fans) when they do their world tours. These veteran players are known factors, having seen them in practices and matches, and the coach prefering to see new and young players. The coach may also be trying to prevent injuries in games that count for nothing. Occasionally, it's the player who begs off.

Lookman falls into this category and for him (as reported) to be fuming because he didn't get in is beyond comprehemsion. It is also beyond comprehension for people to come to this site and say Finidi is doomed for that.

Consider who Finidi is. The man has played at the highest level and for some of the best clubs (as a starter) in world football and won to boot. Hardly anyone, EVER, who has played for the SE (certainly none of the pundits on this site) is fit to clean his boots. If that is not enough, the man has coached both in Europe and Nigeria.

AND YET PEOPLE COME HERE ACTING AS THOUGH HE KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT SUBSTITUTION WHEN THEY SHOULD BE CELEBRATING THE AVAILBILITY OF SOMEONE WITH HIS CREDENTIALS. And some of them never even played high school football. What an insult.

I will challenge this crowd again: if the next foreign coach loses one of his first two friendlies, does he get hs contract canceled?
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:37 pm A quick check at his coaching profile/tactics:
•He favors 433

•He likes possession/attacking football so he must LOVE midfielders especially ball playing ones

• His winning average with Fortuna Sittard was actually decent and he made them play some good football.

• He's young, just 41? So he's definitely not a dinosaur with outdated tactics like the bums we've had.

Announce this guy already NFF.
YEP, ANNOUNCE HIM ALREADY

For crying out loud, he's from Europe. What else do people need to know?
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

ugly boy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:58 am Some of you guys don't mind sacrificing the careers of 27 + players and dreams of 250 million plus people to give one local unqualified coach a chance. Get over it already we saw a cameo of Finidi who couldnt even manage his players. Left people who should start on merit on the bench with no conversation or interest in those players for his favorites, some of whom aren't getting minutes at their div 2 club. Stop the madness Im glad NFF is not going to settle for that type of coach. The same NFF that hired Waldrum obviously realize the task on the mens side is even more difficult.
UNBELIEVABLE

The careers of these 27+ players are not with the SE, but with their clubs. If it is wrong to sacifice the careers of these players, it is even worse to sacrifice the long term good of the 200+ millions of Nigerians who must be liberated from a culture of dependency and a sencse of "it's beyond us". Who would lead except the educated elites? And here they are reinforcing that sad culture. Let's be blunt: the present squad WILL NOT win the next WC regardless of who the coach is, and the best coach in the world would only improve things marginally. So this is the time to roll up the sleeves and face the challenge of uplifting the country, not to yield to self doubt.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:05 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:03 pm
I love this.
I will,adopt it.
I’ve been calling them Nigerian Freedom Fighters (NFF), but I prefer yours. :rotf:
Of course both of you are of the same persuasion.
On this matter, obviously yes. :D
Including the part about keeping Finidi, which you neatly ignored because it waters down your argument about how to define a ‘WOWO’. :rotf:
What really grates my bones is that you both are part of the people that enable these frauds running NFF under the guise, of "I just want a competent coach I don't care where he comes from".
Oh really? You’d rather sacrifice proven competence for fake patriotism in a field that your national flag is going into a ‘War-By-Other-Means’ on a continental and even more, a global platform?
You funny die.
Where he comes from is a valid concern if the hiring process was fair.
No. It’s fair if it doesn’t matter where he comes from, but is the best candidate available.
Same reason you and I got our jobs in the UK and USA as Nigerians.
You’ve got it twisted.
Unless you’re telling me that you got your job by unfair means.
Articles upon articles written about discrimination, bias, and inequality in the hiring process of BLACK COACHES are all over the place for you guys to read even if you are willfully ignorant but you parrot the same jive.
So your solution to correcting that injustice is to play the same discrimination card of your own at the expense of the success of the nation you so claim to love?
What grates me is you guys that want to settle a score at the expense of 200m people that are mostly craving for a little bit of success. Nothing is guaranteed but you are surely shortchanging yourself by being a ‘WOWOOR’ - We Only Want Our
Own Race’.
That’s why y’all are confused Black Panthers.
No be so den dey do am. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Rather than champion the message that our coaches should work towards higher achievement at home and on the continent, you are encouraging them to cut corners and hang around to get the top jobs simply because they are Nigerian?
Can I remind you that you have been the one pushing hard to convince everyone that people like us have “low ambition”, and that we revel in “mediocrity” and yet these are the very things you are championing by not insistent on standards?
You have your job because someone broke the barrier. Not because you are special... but because someone broke the barrier, that hiring you is no longer seen as a novelty.
That barrier was smashed by breaking discrimination, NOT by lowering standards.
As you know, we black people in the west still have to make standards and even surpass them.
In Nigeria, they ALL need to meet the minimum standards expected by the nation, not simply by being Nigerian.

Like I have said countless times, Finidi’s and Amuneke’s CVs WILL NOT make an anonymous Nigerian shortlist for the SE job.
Quota is not so bad if at least the applicants meets a minimum set standard.
What is your set standard for the SE job, ‘Chief Cellular Meritocracy’? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
These crooks at the NFF read online chatter... you, Packerland, and the rest are the ones who give them the impetus to go the route they are going because they will cite that "online fan chatter is divided".
You might be right there and I have no regrets for insisting on meritocracy ALL the time until we lose the argument.
If they use the meritocracy argument to disguise their shenanigans, that’s on them, not me.
Your argument is more detrimental to our football. It’s basically an ‘Emi l’o kan’ argument which we all know is not based on merit, but on sentiment with no regard for the medium and long term consequences. :idea:

You also conveniently ignore the fact that Keshi, Siasia and Amodu had the full support of people like me until/unless they royally screwed up. Like Fela said, ‘Make I open book for you and see ’.

And now, I am happily championing young coaches like Olumide Ajibolade who know what it takes to get to the very top and are willing to take their time and do the hard work.

So please, don’t come at me with this your superior attitude simply because we differ in principle.
That will not be tolerated bro.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:05 am
ugly boy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:58 am Some of you guys don't mind sacrificing the careers of 27 + players and dreams of 250 million plus people to give one local unqualified coach a chance. Get over it already we saw a cameo of Finidi who couldnt even manage his players. Left people who should start on merit on the bench with no conversation or interest in those players for his favorites, some of whom aren't getting minutes at their div 2 club. Stop the madness Im glad NFF is not going to settle for that type of coach. The same NFF that hired Waldrum obviously realize the task on the mens side is even more difficult.
UNBELIEVABLE

The careers of these 27+ players are not with the SE, but with their clubs. If it is wrong to sacifice the careers of these players, it is even worse to sacrifice the long term good of the 200+ millions of Nigerians who must be liberated from a culture of dependency and a sencse of "it's beyond us". Who would lead except the educated elites? And here they are reinforcing that sad culture. Let's be blunt: the present squad WILL NOT win the next WC regardless of who the coach is, and the best coach in the world would only improve things marginally. So this is the time to roll up the sleeves and face the challenge of uplifting the country, not to yield to self doubt.
Bell
When Nigeria and Nigerians jettison the value they place on education, and doing anything it takes to acquire it, then you will have a point.
But as long as we have only 3 or 4 Nigerians out of 200m that have demonstrated their ability (kind of) to take on a national assignment as important as the SE job, then sorry, there should be no compromise.
We know Nigerians can achieve anything, anywhere in any circumstances, but our coaches are just not pulling their weight.
Deny that, and we can’t take you seriously.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:51 am
UNBELIEVABLE

Bell
When Nigeria and Nigerians jettison the value they place on education, and doing anything it takes to acquire it, then you will have a point.
But as long as we have only 3 or 4 Nigerians out of 200m that have demonstrated their ability (kind of) to take on a national assignment as important as the SE job, then sorry, there should be no compromise.
We know Nigerians can achieve anything, anywhere in any circumstances, but our coaches are just not pulling their weight.
Damunk

It seems that your view of Nigerian coaches is based on recycled ones. Let me ask, are you aware that several coaches groomed here and tge UK frequently are coaching teams in Nigeria? Although they are mostly at tge academies, one or two are at the NPFL level. Then there are some home grown who are also advanced. In my view, there is no lack of coaching talents in Nigeria. What the issue may be is access for some of them at the highest levels.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

UNBELIEVABLE

Bell
National team jobs do not often have hundreds, or even dozens of eligible candidates. So nothing wrong with 3 or 4 eligible local candidates.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:42 am

For all your posturing here you were one the many Siasia or Oliseh haters here. Two coaches that I actually supported
Goes to show you that I don't just sheepishly support ALL local coaches. I support the good ones and believe they should be given an opportunity to coach the National team. I supported giving the two individuals the opportunity. I know their flaws. Siasia is a good youth (U20 and Olympics) coach. Not as much as the Senior Team. Sunny has a personality issue. He is best being an analyst.

Despite and in spite of their flaws it should not stop us from searching for a local coach who can get the job done.

Conversely, you love people who talk a good game but have poor man-management and management abilities. You prefer that they are white. It is okay. I just don't agree with you.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:54 am That barrier was smashed by breaking discrimination, NOT by lowering standards.
How do you break discrimination? You seem to be conflating equality and equity. No one is asking for standards to be lowered.

In Naijaria, they will spec out the best standards, best practices and when it comes to doing the job, they go for the one that has more gain.

If they go and hire someone like Renard, there will be little or no outcry because he is well accomplished in Africa and beyond. Darn if they go and hire Pitso Mosimane he will be an upgrade. But that is not what they will be doing. They will hire someone whose number one ability is that he is White.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

UNBELIEVABLE

Bell
Bell, thank you for being on this since as far back as I can remember. We got rewarded for your steadfastness on this issue by winning our 3rd AFCON. It was abandoned at the slightest downturn to revert to the easy route of thinking we can do better with an oyibo. I see this as a simple thing. If Naijaria the largest black country with the most educated black people can't find a manager within their ranks in a sport most people play and many have played at the highest levels then we have failed. That includes my generation. The right thing to do is never easy.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:05 am
UNBELIEVABLE

Bell
Damunk

It seems that your view of Nigerian coaches is based on recycled ones. Let me ask, are you aware that several coaches groomed here and tge UK frequently are coaching teams in Nigeria? Although they are mostly at tge academies, one or two are at the NPFL level. Then there are some home grown who are also advanced. In my view, there is no lack of coaching talents in Nigeria. What the issue may be is access for some of them at the highest levels.
Prof, ‘the highest level’ for the overwhelming majority of coaches the world over, is premier tier club football.
Only La crème de La crème get to coach snr national teams….unless of course there is a shortage of genuine ‘top level’ coaches in that country.
In which case, the ‘up and coming’ (with good reason and evidence) get hired; or at worst, the ‘journeymen’. Basically you get what you pay for.

You keep talking about ‘talents’.
I don’t think any serious footballing country continues going on and on about ‘talent’ outside youth football. In the senior game, whether coaching or playing, it’s no longer about ‘talent’. Talent by definition is undeveloped. It’s simply natural potential. It’s mostly used in that context.

Yes, they’ll still talk about a 17 yr old like Kobbie Mainoo as a ‘talent’, but again only becos he’s a kid. They won’t still be calling him a talent in ten years time even if he becomes the best in the world.

Talent dey in abundance.
”Talent is nothing without dedication and discipline, and dedication and discipline is a talent in itself”.
It’s the development of that talent that counts at the level we are talking about.
I don’t know how many times this difference has to be repeated.

We want more than a talented SE coach. Talent is just the baseline.
We want to see a demonstrable application of that talent.
That basically is performance.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:47 pm
txj wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:42 am

Goes to show you that I don't just sheepishly support ALL local coaches. I support the good ones and believe they should be given an opportunity to coach the National team. I supported giving the two individuals the opportunity. I know their flaws. Siasia is a good youth (U20 and Olympics) coach. Not as much as the Senior Team. Sunny has a personality issue. He is best being an analyst.

Despite and in spite of their flaws it should not stop us from searching for a local coach who can get the job done.

Conversely, you love people who talk a good game but have poor man-management and management abilities. You prefer that they are white. It is okay. I just don't agree with you.

Typical red herring when you have no point!

I prefer that they are good, wherever they may be from.
You instead prefer that they are Nigerian/black whether they are good or not!

And to determine that they are good, I prefer to use proper measurable indices, not something as simplistic as 50 wins vs 60 losses...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp