ANNOYED AS HELL....Rumors on the proposed hiring of Dutch Manager

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: ANNOYED AS HELL....Rumors on the proposed hiring of Dutch Manager

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:17 am African football is more physical and unpredictable. Most of the knowledge you see on the Internet is based around Europe and Europe based players. Most of the foreign pundits did not see DRC finishing third and Morocco going out at the second round but it was no suprise to anybody that understands the game.
And you believe this is something only African coaches are aware of, understand and able to manage effectively?
Why so?
Isn’t this something that any B or C level coach should be able to appreciate? Doesn’t the global game today force coaches to assess these factors, considering there are players from all over the world playing in Europe, and to a lesser extent in South America and Asia and - ironically - least of all in Africa?
I really do not get it.
The continent with the least diversity of players is Africa.
Is that an advantage for players and more importantly, coaches?

You can go on about global knowledge but to get a consecutive game against a non-African team you have to win in Africa first. It is almost like saying that Premier League experience is not important to a team that wants to win in Europe.
True. Obviously so.
But you speak as if they are mutually exclusive.
Like I’ve said many times before, a top European team or South American team specially invited into AFCON is more than likely to win AFCON probably as much as 3 times out of 4 (75%).
Speculation of course, but it’s not an unreasonable belief.
Even 50% is bad enough.

So I don’t believe this your argument stands up in court (and I’m no lawyer) :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 am
aruako1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:17 am African football is more physical and unpredictable. Most of the knowledge you see on the Internet is based around Europe and Europe based players. Most of the foreign pundits did not see DRC finishing third and Morocco going out at the second round but it was no suprise to anybody that understands the game.
And you believe this is something only African coaches are aware of, understand and able to manage effectively?
Why so?
Isn’t this something that any B or C level coach should be able to appreciate? Doesn’t the global game today force coaches to assess these factors, considering there are players from all over the world playing in Europe, and to a lesser extent in South America and Asia and - ironically - least of all in Africa?
I really do not get it.
The continent with the least diversity of players is Africa.
Is that an advantage for players and more importantly, coaches?

You can go on about global knowledge but to get a consecutive game against a non-African team you have to win in Africa first. It is almost like saying that Premier League experience is not important to a team that wants to win in Europe.
True. Obviously so.
But you speak as if they are mutually exclusive.
Like I’ve said many times before, a top European team or South American team specially invited into AFCON is more than likely to win AFCON probably as much as 3 times out of 4 (75%).
Speculation of course, but it’s not an unreasonable belief.
Even 50% is bad enough.

So I don’t believe this your argument stands up in court (and I’m no lawyer) :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
I'm not sure where I said that only African coaches understand African football. Why would my second choice (after Mosimane) be Goncalves, the Portuguese? I never said that having knowledge of the African and global game are mutually exclusive. I started by saying the knowledge of the European game is very available. So what exactly is the problem with me requiring a decent knowledge of African football and history?

There is little basis for your speculation that a top European or South American team would almost certainly show up and win the AFCON. There is a reason why the likes of Ghana, Cameroon, Senegal and Morocco did not win the AFCON just before or after their best WC performances. When you adjust for the physicality, conditions and unpredictability, those odds are not as great as you think.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:38 am I'm not sure where I said that only African coaches understand African football. Why would my second choice (after Mosimane) be Goncalves, the Portuguese? I never said that having knowledge of the African and global game are mutually exclusive. I started by saying the knowledge of the European game is very available. So what exactly is the problem with me requiring a decent knowledge of African football and history?

There is little basis for your speculation that a top European or South American team would almost certainly show up and win the AFCON. There is a reason why the likes of Ghana, Cameroon, Senegal and Morocco did not win the AFCON just before or after their best WC performances. When you adjust for the physicality, conditions and unpredictability, those odds are not as great as you think.
Ignore my use of ‘only’, but you get my general point in this debate.
However, it seems to me to be implied from this statement you made that ‘Europe-based knowledge’ is, for the most part, inimical to fully understanding the ‘African game’:
African football is more physical and unpredictable. Most of the knowledge you see on the Internet is based around Europe and Europe based players. Most of the foreign pundits did not see DRC finishing third and Morocco going out at the second round but it was no surprise to anybody that understands the game.
I really see no advantage to being African in the modern ‘African’ game because any coach worth the name from anywhere should have no problem adjusting to the differences, if any.
It’s like you as a lawyer or me as a doctor not appreciating or understanding the difference in cultures, and in addition for me, the different physical attributes in our every day practise. Not being able to apply our fundamental training to those differences is a failure on our part to apply ‘bread and butter’ professional knowledge and skills.
It’s not as if the football rules in Africa are different.

Like I said, I see this ‘African game’ trope as a red herring.
A coach is either capable or he isn’t.

The only thing I will give the rampaging Black Panthers on this ‘white’ vs ‘African’ coach thing is that maybe Oyibo coach will not tolerate the lack of organisation and poor infrastructure.
But why should an African tolerate it either?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:40 am
aruako1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:38 am I'm not sure where I said that only African coaches understand African football. Why would my second choice (after Mosimane) be Goncalves, the Portuguese? I never said that having knowledge of the African and global game are mutually exclusive. I started by saying the knowledge of the European game is very available. So what exactly is the problem with me requiring a decent knowledge of African football and history?

Ignore my use of ‘only’, but you get my general point in this debate.
However, it seems to me to be implied from this statement you made that ‘Europe-based knowledge’ is, for the most part, inimical to fully understanding the ‘African game’:
African football is more physical and unpredictable. Most of the knowledge you see on the Internet is based around Europe and Europe based players. Most of the foreign pundits did not see DRC finishing third and Morocco going out at the second round but it was no surprise to anybody that understands the game.
I really see no advantage to being African in the modern ‘African’ game because any coach worth the name from anywhere should have no problem adjusting to the differences, if any.
It’s like you as a lawyer or me as a doctor not appreciating or understanding the difference in cultures, and in addition for me, the different physical attributes in our every day practise. Not being able to apply our fundamental training to those differences is a failure on our part to apply ‘bread and butter’ professional knowledge and skills.
It’s not as if the football rules in Africa are different.

Like I said, I see this ‘African game’ trope as a red herring.
A coach is either capable or he isn’t.

The only thing I will give the rampaging Black Panthers on this ‘white’ vs ‘African’ coach thing is that maybe Oyibo coach will not tolerate the lack of organisation and poor infrastructure.
But why should an African tolerate it either?
Again I'm not sure what the issue is. There are several examples of coaches that have been successful in Europe with average to minimal success in Africa. That shows that an understanding of African football is a requirement. I have never suggested, or even implied, that global knowledge is a disadvantage. In this same thread, I have said that the Dutch coach seems to have qualities that I like. He didn't gain those qualities from African experience. But he needs that knowledge and experience to succeed.

On another note, I will continue to point out the fact that Nigerian managers are treated worse. It does not mean that I hate any foreign coach
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:37 pm He is a good option, because, he would not quit his job. He will manage SE, the same Randy manages the SF. So, it's win, win.
How does that benefit the SE?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by goke313 »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:37 pm Nonsense post. I will take him over Finidi any day of the week. At least he won't leave a Bundesliga champion on the bench and invite bums playing in Tanzania.
This…
Benching Tella was criminal and told us everything we need to know about his squad selection philosophy.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

goke313 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:37 am
bret- hart wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:37 pm Nonsense post. I will take him over Finidi any day of the week. At least he won't leave a Bundesliga champion on the bench and invite bums playing in Tanzania.
This…
Benching Tella was criminal and told us everything we need to know about his squad selection philosophy.
Its usually rare to have an assistant who is different from a head coach. Especially assistants who last long with their boss. heir thinking and philosophy. is usually the same.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

Some of you guys don't mind sacrificing the careers of 27 + players and dreams of 250 million plus people to give one local unqualified coach a chance. Get over it already we saw a cameo of Finidi who couldnt even manage his players. Left people who should start on merit on the bench with no conversation or interest in those players for his favorites, some of whom aren't getting minutes at their div 2 club. Stop the madness Im glad NFF is not going to settle for that type of coach. The same NFF that hired Waldrum obviously realize the task on the mens side is even more difficult.
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:51 am
This…
Its usually rare to have an assistant who is different from a head coach. Especially assistants who last long with their boss. heir thinking and philosophy. is usually the same.
Or the assistant who is meant to help the foreign coach in the area of scouting is not advocating for the right players. We saw the Enyimba keeper Leke Ojo make the team ahead of better goalies. Screams to me padi padi arrangment and there is no room for that on the current eagles.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

ugly boy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:18 am
danfo driver wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:51 am
This…
Or the assistant who is meant to help the foreign coach in the area of scouting is not advocating for the right players. We saw the Enyimba keeper Leke Ojo make the team ahead of better goalies. Screams to me padi padi arrangment and there is no room for that on the current eagles.
Leke Ojo may not be your choice as the best keeper but he is clearly one of the best in the league. If Finidi, Peseiro and the goalkeeping coach saw Leke Ojo, why is it suddenly corruption on Finidi's part. I am not sold on Finidi but this is based on the few games I have seen him manage, not bogus corruption claims.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ugly boy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:58 am Some of you guys don't mind sacrificing the careers of 27 + players and dreams of 250 million plus people to give one local unqualified coach a chance. Get over it already we saw a cameo of Finidi who couldnt even manage his players. Left people who should start on merit on the bench with no conversation or interest in those players for his favorites, some of whom aren't getting minutes at their div 2 club. Stop the madness Im glad NFF is not going to settle for that type of coach. The same NFF that hired Waldrum obviously realize the task on the mens side is even more difficult.
Ugly boy

How do you know who should start on merit? Please let us know. Is it Lookman that was not a certain starter under several coaches prior to AFCON? Bros, coaches are not robots and they are free to make own decisions. Rohr's starters were not exactly same as Egu's or Peseiro's and why should we expect something else under Finidi. Finidi is no stooge. He, as Manager, should have the gumption to select his own starters. If he doesn't, then he should not be manager.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

iworo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:58 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:53 pm
iworo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:46 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:34 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:19 pm I’m all out for Finidi unless we come up with a performing and experienced foreign coach.
Meanwhile I hate this ‘white’ coach narrative instead of ‘foreign’ coach
It’s so patronizing and deliberately framed that way by our Nigerian Freedom Fighters keen on showing they are proud black people. :roll:

But sentiments aside, can you publish the Managerial records of all three for comparison?
Playing careers have nothing to do with it.
Some of the top managers in the world had mediocre playing careers or non at all, while some of the world’s very best footballers spectacularly failed as managers.

So their managerial careers is what’s important and it would be nice to compare the records of Finidi, Amuneke and this guy who as u rightly said, nobody knows.
Damunk

As you mentioned, the annoying thing is that this guy is a non achiever. I am stating as per his managerial career.! Compare to Finidi who won the League at Enyimba and we cannot even compare their playing career. You can simply Google the guy's career.

NFF hiring this guy or someone of his calber will be a travesty.
It's important not to let emotions cloud our judgment. Comparing the NPFL to the Eredivisie seems far-fetched. Campaigning for a coach solely based on winning the Nigerian league might not be the wisest choice.
Iworo,

Winning a league, even if it is the lower tier of the Nigerian league is an indication of a coaching and leadership acumen that may be far more important than someone leading a team to finish 18th in the EPL. Leadership is not only found in the 'best' environment but is manifested always in the task and the competition that one finds himself/herself and the ability to overcome the competition. Moreover, look at Finidi['s or Amuneke's playing career. These guys have played at the highest levels and better than this guy. There is no place where this guy has achieved more than Finidi or Ameneke. NONE!! It matters. If in fact this push ever comes to fruition, then the NFF is really failing Nigeria. Take that to the bank.
I don’t really agree with you. The quality of the league is very important as well. The real question at hand is Finidi's managerial qualifications/experiences compared to other candidates. Despite the sentiment surrounding his candidacy, there's a lack of information regarding his specific managerial qualifications/experiences. It's essential to evaluate each candidate objectively. For instance, what sets Finidi apart from someone like Amuneke in terms of managerial qualifications/experiences? It's crucial to base our decisions on concrete factors rather than sentiment alone.

Its the same way he believes a 50-goals a season striker in Afghanistan should be invited to the SE to 'fight for a shirt"...

True, leadership abounds in different environments, but also the higher the level, the greater the test of leadership and ability...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:24 pm Enugu, but he coached and coaches one of the lower teams in holland, the fact that he has 50 wins , 28 draws and 60 loses isn't a bad result for coaching Groningen. His current team Fortuna are 10th in the Eredivisie
Coaching career
On 1 June 2022, Buijs was hired by Belgian club Mechelen.[9] On 17 October 2022 he was sacked and replaced by assistant Steven Defour. [10]

This is the kind of simplistic analysis that EII makes for dumbing down a discussion!

50 wins, 60 losses.
1 leg good, 2 legs better!!! Just like in Animal Farm!!!

I don't know who this guy is, but I tried to look him up to see how he models his game. Then recall watching the game vs Ajax cus of my boy Hendo...

I don't know if he's any good for the SE, but you have to assess any manager seriously or don't do it!

This is a manager of a low tier club whose ambitions are to survive relegation each season.
Context matters.

As does Finidi winning the league in the NPFL...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Owngoal has stolen the story! Kai :rotf:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

gochino wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:45 pm Owngoal has stolen the story! Kai :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Some CE folks work for Owngoal
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:23 am
fabio wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:37 pm He is a good option, because, he would not quit his job. He will manage SE, the same Randy manages the SF. So, it's win, win.
How does that benefit the SE?
It benefits the NFF more than.... He comes in just before SE matches and leaves for his club after the match.

He is based in Europe, where all the players are based.

When his salary is delayed by the NFF, he still has a day job paying his salary.

It works with the SF, why shouldn't it work with the SE.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:19 pm I’m all out for Finidi unless we come up with a performing and experienced foreign coach.
It’s so patronizing and deliberately framed that way by our Nigerian Freedom Fighters keen on showing they are proud black people. :roll:

But sentiments aside, can you publish the Managerial records of all three for comparison?
Some of the top managers in the world had mediocre playing careers or non at all, while some of the world’s very best footballers spectacularly failed as managers.

So their managerial careers is what’s important and it would be nice to compare the records of Finidi, Amuneke and this guy who as u rightly said, nobody knows.
Damunk

As you mentioned, the annoying thing is that this guy is a non achiever. I am stating as per his managerial career.! Compare to Finidi who won the League at Enyimba and we cannot even compare their playing career. You can simply Google the guy's career.

if Finidi started our best players against Mali and made more than 2 subs, he will easily be the favorite to get the job. He made it very clear that he was unfit for the job, period!
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

Schillachi wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:22 pm

Damunk

if Finidi started our best players against Mali and made more than 2 subs, he will easily be the favorite to get the job. He made it very clear that he was unfit for the job, period!
Gbam
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Yes o!
Inasmuch as I dont believe that Oliseh has the mental stability and man management skills required for this job. I feel for him if this Oyinbo guy is appointed.

Classic colomentality!

Cmoke :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Goalgetter wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:58 am
Cmoke wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:45 am Oliseh must be super pissed
Thats Oliseh’s former team (fourtuna sittad).. Didnt Oliseh get them promoted or something like that?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

When is he signing? :)
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ugly boy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:57 pm
Schillachi wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:22 pm

Damunk

Gbam
Bros, that incidence in a friendly is not enough for me. So he should be ditched for this non-performer because of non-substitution of players? Really?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

My sources tell me it is between Finidi and the Hausa man wey collect bribe!

More later!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cmoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am My sources tell me it is between Finidi and the Hausa man wey collect bribe!

More later!
Was the highlighted necessary?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."