ODEGBAMI Lays Bare why a Local Manager May be the Choice this time around......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
ODEGBAMI Lays Bare why a Local Manager May be the Choice this time around......

Post by Enugu II »

Super Eagles coach: Reasons why NFF settled for ex-Barcelona man Emmanuel Amunike revealed
https://soccernet.ng/2024/04/super-eagl ... ealed.html
The former Nigeria international will reportedly be announced as the next head coach of the national team in the coming days
Imhons Erons by Imhons Erons 14 hours ago in AFCON, News, NewsNow, Nigeria, NPFL, Top, World Cup 1

1980 Africa Cup of Nations winner Segun Odegbami has provided reasons why the Nigeria Football Federation has seemingly decided on appointing Emmanuel Amunike as the head coach of the Super Eagles, Soccernet.ng reports.

After screening dozens of applications from foreign and indigenous coaches over the past few weeks, the NFF has reportedly selected Amunike as the successor to Jose Peseiro.
However, the Shooting Stars icon is convinced that the scarcity of funds in the coffers of the NFF forced the football body to settle for a Nigerian coach – a cheaper alternative.

“One thing is clear, except amongst some academic hard-line critics of Nigerian coaches, there appears to be little appetite for another half-baked foreign coach in Nigeria,” Odegbami wrote in his column in the Vanguard.

“The rackets attached to the hiring of foreign coaches may not find accommodation in a beleaguered government trying to reduce corruption in the system.

“The NFF does not have the funds, and the federal government will not accommodate the humongous fees of foreign coaches in the present dispensation.

“So, it will be a Nigerian as next manager of the Super Eagles.”

It has been seven weeks since Jose Peseiro exited his role as the Super Eagles head coach, leaving the position vacant.

If the NFF knew it only had the resources to hire a local coach, why has it taken such a long time to identify the right candidate among the many former internationals who applied for the job?

Odegbami concedes that while most Nigerians in the media space wanted Emmanuel Amunike, other powerful interests were pulling the strings behind the screens.

The two-time AFCON top goal scorer, however, warns Amunike to be ready to convince skeptics of his readiness for the job when his appointment becomes official.

“There is a lot of politicking ongoing,” Odegbami continued.

“Nigerian coaches appear not to tick all the boxes of requirements, not eliciting the confidence of several officials of the NFF with vested interest in particular aspirants.

“As things stand, however, a decision has to be taken now.

“Most fingers point in the direction of a former international player.

“He appears to be the preferred choice of most Nigerians in the media, particularly the social media.

“I will not be surprised if Emmanuel Amuneke gets the final nod to lead the team. It will become a huge task to dispel the serious reservations about his choice by those familiar with his antecedents when he was in one of the junior teams.”

Amunike left mixed antecedents when handling the Nigerian underaged teams.

The former Barcelona winger led the Golden Eaglets to loft the FIFA U-17 World Cup while nurturing talented kids like Victor Osimhen and Samuel Chukwueze.

However, he was in charge of the Flying Eagles when the team failed to qualify for the U20 AFCON in 2017.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ODEGBAMI Lays Bare why a Local Manager May be the Choice this time around......

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

OK o.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ODEGBAMI Lays Bare why a Local Manager May be the Choice this time around......

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:25 am OK o.
Bros, at this point these things are speculative until a week or so when it is actually announced. These are simply scheming going on behind the scenes and ultimately each one can change until the very last moment.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The guy is a certified CLOWN.

"Half baked" foreign coaches

That won silver and bronze at AFCON

Yet indigenous coaches failed to qualify for the last World Cup and had our worst afcon in decades.

Previous indigenous coaches even failed to qualify for a common AFCON.

So who is actually "half baked " ?

Maybe "quarter baked" in reality.

Absolute CLOWN.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I can also guarantee you this.

If not for the successes of Emerse Fae and Aliou Cisse, there wouldn't even be conversations of a local coach for SE.

The NFF may believe that they can emmulate the success of those 2.

But are those 2 really direct comparisons with the likes of Amunike and Finidi George ?

I beg to differ. Certainly not Finidi George.

While the likes of Fae and Cisse understand the world of football we are in TODAY. Ie they will look to strengthen their squads with foreign born players.

Finidi is looking to pimp players from Tanzania and ignore Bundesliga champions.

I guarantee you that Cisse and Fae would not have succeeded with such backwards mentality.

I can only hope Amunike is not that type, but I doubt it.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

If we cannot afford a white coach abi FC , we should not waste our time, come a year or two we start looking for another one. E don do. Let the NFF cut their coat according to their size. Take a leap of faith , give the coach they can hire a 4 year contract, provide all the support he needs similar to Senegal and Cisse. we are in 2024 and we are still chasing after 60 plus year old coaches .

Why waste your time while you owe a man his wages for 6 plus months...e don do . I will never sit there and wait 6 months for a pay check, when my mortgage is due for a ACH every month

Also ban Rivers united from playing at Uyo , before they mess up that pitch
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:21 am The guy is a certified CLOWN.

Yet indigenous coaches failed to qualify for the last World Cup and had our worst afcon in decades.

Absolute CLOWN.
Stop shouting like a mad man. Actually you're mad man. The man is stating his opinion which he has the right to. I also agree with him. You may not agree with him but he has the right to his opinion.
You're just making a fool out of yourself. You can shout CLOWN! from the rooftop till the cows come home but it doesn't make it so.
Yeye human being!!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

highbury wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:35 am

Absolute CLOWN.
Stop shouting like a mad man. Actually you're mad man. The man is stating his opinion which he has the right to. I also agree with him. You may not agree with him but he has the right to his opinion.
You're just making a fool out of yourself. You can shout CLOWN! from the rooftop till the cows come home but it doesn't make it so.
Yeye human being!!!
You never address the legitimate points being made but resort to the same tired ad hominem attacks.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:40 am
highbury wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:35 am

Absolute CLOWN.
Yeye human being!!!
You never address the legitimate points being made but resort to the same tired ad hominem attacks.
Maybe if you spent time reading my opinions alongside others who are proponents of a Nigerian coach instead of forcefully trying to impose your opinions about the necessity of having a foreign coach, maybe you will learn something or at least see it thru the lenses of others. But no, you're just obsessed trying force your opinions on others. I completely reject a foreign coach for a Nigerian team. If a local fails, we try another local coach. We must get to a point where we sink or swim on our own. Haba! Shame no dey catch you?
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:33 am I can also guarantee you this.

If not for the successes of Emerse Fae and Aliou Cisse, there wouldn't even be conversations of a local coach for SE.

But are those 2 really direct comparisons with the likes of Amunike and Finidi George ?

While the likes of Fae and Cisse understand the world of football we are in TODAY. Ie they will look to strengthen their squads with foreign born players.

Finidi is looking to pimp players from Tanzania and ignore Bundesliga champions.

I guarantee you that Cisse and Fae would not have succeeded with such backwards mentality.

Fae and Cisse are also foreign coaches in disguise. Fae was born in France and even played for them against Femi Opabunmi's U17 team in the WC final while Cisse moved there at age 9. Skin color and local name helps to distract the issue. It's like calling Ghana's Otto Addo (who has only ever known Dortmund) an LC which defeats the whole purpose of "let's develop our own". The world has gone way too global.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Odegbami is really trying to remain relevant.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

greg wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:43 am

Fae and Cisse are also foreign coaches in disguise. Fae was born in France and even played for them against Femi Opabunmi's U17 team in the WC final while Cisse moved there at age 9. Skin color and local name helps to distract the issue. It's like calling Ghana's Otto Addo (who has only ever known Dortmund) an LC which defeats the whole purpose of "let's develop our own". The world has gone way too global.
Greg

Foreign or local is defined by nationality. Those you cited are not foreign. Tomorrow, if Nigeria was to hire a Nigerian national team player who grew up in England, the player cannot be classified as foreign. There is a difference. Think passport.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Well you have just made my point for me.

For the fools at the NFF or beyond who think Amuneke = Cisse/Fae. This nay turn out to be very naive and short sighted.
Last edited by vancity eagle on Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:07 am

Greg

Foreign or local is defined by nationality. Those you cited are not foreign. Tomorrow, if Nigeria was to hire a Nigerian national team player who grew up in England, the player cannot be classified as foreign. There is a difference. Think passport.
EII

I guess "foreign" can mean many different things in different contexts.

They can be deemed foreign the same we we deem Tammy Abraham "English"

I will tell you now, I would LOVE to have our own version of Cisse/Fae lead our team to glory, but frankly I don't think any such option exists.

My only concern is that SE can be the best they can be. I have serious doubts that these former 94 set of player coaches can deliver.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

So
Greg

So someone like Clemens Westerhoff who has a Nigerian passport would be a local coach. Ok o.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:17 am

Greg

EII

I guess "foreign" can mean many different things in different contexts.

They can be deemed foreign the same we we deem Tammy Abraham "English"

I will tell you now, I would LOVE to have our own version of Cisse/Fae lead our team to glory, but frankly I don't think any such option exists.

My only concern is that SE can be the best they can be. I have serious doubts that these former 94 set of player coaches can deliver.
I am defining it in the context in which local and foreign coaches are indefinable in Nigeria. It is often via nationality rather than abode.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odegbami is a legend and remains one. Think of this, his goal scoring average per game remains top 2 in history of Nigerian soccer. Besides Yekini, no one else has scored more goals for Nigeria. Importantly, he runs a football school and continues to lead the group of Nigerian ex- footballers. To state he is irrelevant is a mark that those who make such statements have no clue about Nigerian football both psst and present.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:35 am Odegbami is a legend and remains one. Think of this, his goal scoring average per game remains top 2 in history of Nigerian soccer. Besides Yekini, no one else has scored more goals for Nigeria. Importantly, he runs a football school and continues to lead the group of Nigerian ex- footballers. To state he is irrelevant is a mark that those who make such statements have no clue about Nigerian football both psst and present.
:thumbs:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Odegbami is a legend because he won an ANC. There were 11 players that won that ANC with him, and there have been 10s of players that have won the ANC/AFCON, won Olympic gold, qualified for the world cup, and won several world games against world class players. The bigger question is, what has Odegbami done since 1980 to improve his knowledge of the game other than watch it on TV? This is why King Yobo called him a spectator. Odegbami is like Alexis Lalas. All they have is their one time reputation as a player. Odegbami should talk to former players like Platini, Zidane, Enrique, and other former player who made themselves relevant by staying with football.
Enugu II wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:35 am Odegbami is a legend and remains one. Think of this, his goal scoring average per game remains top 2 in history of Nigerian soccer. Besides Yekini, no one else has scored more goals for Nigeria. Importantly, he runs a football school and continues to lead the group of Nigerian ex- footballers. To state he is irrelevant is a mark that those who make such statements have no clue about Nigerian football both psst and present.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:07 am Odegbami is a legend because he won an ANC. There were 11 players that won that ANC with him, and there have been 10s of players that have won the ANC/AFCON, won Olympic gold, qualified for the world cup, and won several world games against world class players. The bigger question is, what has Odegbami done since 1980 to improve his knowledge of the game other than watch it on TV? This is why King Yobo called him a spectator. Odegbami is like Alexis Lalas. All they have is their one time reputation as a player. Odegbami should talk to former players like Platini, Zidane, Enrique, and other former player who made themselves relevant by staying with football.
Odegbami has remained relevant since the end of his playing days. His focus has been on administration and not coaching. He has been on committees for the development of our football, he has run unsuccessfully for both FIFA and NFF Presidency, he at one point led a committee to push for Nigeria to jointly host the World Cup with Ghana and he has been a football columnist, consultant and football academy proprietor. For someone whose playing career ended almost 49 years ago, the boy has done good.

Tell us which one of our former AFCON winners has done this much to positively impact our football. Start with Yobo.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:27 am
Bros, at this point these things are speculative until a week or so when it is actually announced. These are simply scheming going on behind the scenes and ultimately each one can change until the very last moment.
EII,

Quite apart from Odegbami’s very credible and plausible speculations, I believe that, on its own merit, there’s a philosophically sound argument for engaging a Nigerian coach for the SuperEagles. I made that argument in a previous thread and you can find the link to that thread below❗️

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=316725

Cheers.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Irrelevant, made up accomplishments. But to answer your question, Siasia, Kanu, JJ, Ikpeba, Amokachi, Yobo, Eguavoen, oliseh, and many more. And mind you all these players also qualified Nigeria for the World cup AND played at the world cup, IN ADDITION TO THE AFCON TITLE. Even CCC has more cred than Odegbami . He has coached Rangers, Kenya, and Nigeria since the 1980 AFCON. List something credible that has Odegbami done to improve his knowledge other than this made up, bogus, administrative positions you listed.
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:33 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:27 am
EII,

Quite apart from Odegbami’s very credible and plausible speculations, I believe that, on its own merit, there’s a philosophically sound argument for engaging a Nigerian coach for the SuperEagles. I made that argument in a previous thread and you can find the link to that thread below❗️

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=316725

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Thanks for putting it in context. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "