Nigeria integrity matters in appointing Super Eagles coach, House Committee tells NFF, Ministry of Sports

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Nigeria integrity matters in appointing Super Eagles coach, House Committee tells NFF, Ministry of Sports

Post by iworo »

The House of Representatives Committee on Sports has urged the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the Ministry of Sports to put the integrity of the country first before the appointment of the next Super Eagles Coach.

Sporting Tribune reports that since the exit and contract expiration of former Super Eagles coach, Jose Peseiro’s contract in February, the NFF is yet to appoint a successor for the Portuguese safe for Finidi George who has been in an acting capacity and led the Eagles to friendlies against Black Stars of Ghana and Eagles of Mali. Nigerians are however worried that two months after Peseiro was shown the exit door, the NFF is yet to appoint a substantive coach with 2026 World Cup qualifiers fast approaching.

The House Committee emphasised the importance of upholding Nigeria’s integrity before a coach would be employed as the coach of the Super Eagles. It warned against having a repeated scenario like in the past, where the country’s name was dragged in the mud because the NFF and the Ministry couldn’t secure the payment of foreign national team coaches. The Committee however said it would support the idea of bringing on board a foreign coach only if the NFF and the Ministry of Sports had worked out modalities on the payment of the coaches without owing.

The Chairman, House Committee on Sports, Hon Ekene Adams, highlighted the significance of having an indigenous coach who is capable, experienced and have the qualification to lead the Nigeria senior men’s national team while emphasising the need for transparency in the selection process to ensure that the best candidate is chosen to lead the Super Eagles.

“We are thinking of hiring a foreign coach and the question is, do we have the money to hire a foreign coach without owing him? We are not saying they should not hire a foreign coach if they have the money to pay without owing him. The National Assembly’s standpoint is that they should not hire a coach they cannot afford to pay, they must make sure they hire a coach they can pay at the end of every month because they will not fold their hands and allow anyone to drag Nigeria’s name in dispute.

“If truly we have qualified coaches among our indigenous coaches who have submitted applications and can do the job, we should give them the opportunity to lead the team to success. The likes of Daniel Amokachi, Finidi George, Emmanuel Amunike, and a host of other indigenous coaches who have the qualifications, experience and have indicated interest in leading the team should be employed.

Super Eagles have amassed only two points in as many games and will host Bafana Bafana of South Africa in Uyo in June before facing the Squirrels of Benin Republic in Abidjan in Match Day 4 of the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifier.

https://sportingtribune.com/nigeria-int ... of-sports/
iworo
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria integrity matters in appointing Super Eagles coach, House Committee tells NFF, Ministry of Sports

Post by iworo »

So, it's acceptable to owe debts to local coaches but not to foreign ones? What a perplexing warped way of thinking by those in charge of our sport!!! Especially when records indicate that local coaches are owed for longer periods while at the helm of the team, compared to when foreign coaches hold the position.
joao
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria integrity matters in appointing Super Eagles coach, House Committee tells NFF, Ministry of Sports

Post by joao »

First, these conniving minds need to learn the meaning of INTEGRITY to apply it
in the discussion of appointing an SE coach. Same folks who refuse to inform on how and
where they get their funding, pay coaches and associated assistants on time, or disburse
players' bonuses as due, want to evoke integrity?

Deception and lack of transparency needs be first points discussed and explained
at the start of any of their meetings. After those, will serious talks begin.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

joao wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:32 pm First, these conniving minds need to learn the meaning of INTEGRITY to apply it
in the discussion of appointing an SE coach. Same folks who refuse to inform on how and
where they get their funding, pay coaches and associated assistants on time, or disburse
players' bonuses as due, want to evoke integrity?

Deception and lack of transparency needs be first points discussed and explained
at the start of any of their meetings. After those, will serious talks begin.
I hear you my brother :lol: :lol:. Don't mind them....Bunch of thieves.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

iworo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:20 pm So, it's acceptable to owe debts to local coaches but not to foreign ones? What a perplexing warped way of thinking by those in charge of our sport!!! Especially when records indicate that local coaches are owed for longer periods while at the helm of the team, compared to when foreign coaches hold the position.
:thumbs: :thumbs: it is really disappointing to read such rubbish. So the reason one should hire an indigenous manager is because Nigeria can owe such a manager!!!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:57 pm
iworo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:20 pm So, it's acceptable to owe debts to local coaches but not to foreign ones? What a perplexing warped way of thinking by those in charge of our sport!!! Especially when records indicate that local coaches are owed for longer periods while at the helm of the team, compared to when foreign coaches hold the position.
:thumbs: :thumbs: it is really disappointing to read such rubbish. So the reason one should hire an indigenous manager is because Nigeria can owe such a manager!!!
EII,

I don’t think that’s what they are saying. I think they are saying it make no sense to hire a foreign coach you can’t afford to pay… and quite frankly, I agree with them🤔❗️

Cheers.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...what a mess. Until we hire a foreign football administrator, who will then hire a local coach, this nonsense will continue.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

iworo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:20 pm789][/instagram]
So, it's acceptable to owe debts to local coaches but not to foreign ones? What a perplexing warped way of thinking by those in charge of our sport!!! Especially when records indicate that local coaches are owed for longer periods while at the helm of the team, compared to when foreign coaches hold the position.
Thats what it seems they’re implying. But I think it’s just clumsy wording.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:08 pm
EII,

I don’t think that’s what they are saying. I think they are saying it make no sense to hire a foreign coach you can’t afford to pay… and quite frankly, I agree with them🤔❗️

Cheers.
TTTK,

My view is that even if Nigeria has a fantastic bank of funds to pay a Manager, you can find one locally rather than to hire a journeyman simply because the latter is European. I just don't like the justification. It reeks of rubbish to me ooo.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:23 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:08 pm
EII,

Cheers.
TTTK,

My view is that even if Nigeria has a fantastic bank of funds to pay a Manager, you can find one locally rather than to hire a journeyman simply because the latter is European. I just don't like the justification. It reeks of rubbish to me ooo.
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING APPEARS WORSE

They are implying that the Nigerian coach would earn less, so the NFF could afford it. It seems, otherwise, they're all in for a foreign coach.
Bell