WHO WILL RESCUE Nigeria from the World Cup ABYSS that a foreign Manager put us?.........

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WHO WILL RESCUE Nigeria from the World Cup ABYSS that a foreign Manager put us?.........

Post by Orion »

Bell wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:25 pm
Orion wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:53 am
wanaj0 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:54 am
Orion wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:20 am A recent AFCON finalist quacking in its boots because of Rwanda and South Africa?

South Africa was our only competition, but they're notoriously inconsistent, as they've already proven with just two games played.

I expect even an average coach to top the group unless there are other deeper issues with the team, like lack of bonus payment, etc.
How consistent is the SE? How come we are not topping the table right now?

Congrats to the SE for getting the the final of the ANC but the problems are still evident in the number of goals scored during the tournament.
We're more consistent than SA. We don't randomly lose away games to minnows like they can do.

Although our home games have been a problem lately, I believe this is due to admin problems with the team, like non-payment of bonuses, etc.

ADMINISTRATIVE PROBLEMS?

Not the coach?
Bell
There is only so much a coach can do when the admin is poor. I remember Siasia's struggling U23 team in 2015 suddenly transforming in performance after their outstanding bonuses were paid.

We forget about the mental effect on the players. It’s not even about the money for some of them in foreign clubs, as they make good money. It's just the principle of it. It leaves a sour taste when you feel someone is not holding up their end of the bargain and taking you for a ride. The general mood in camp can have a massive effect on team performance. These people are not robots.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WHO WILL RESCUE Nigeria from the World Cup ABYSS that a foreign Manager put us?.........

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:27 pm
Dammy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:06 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:35 pm :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Exactly what I wanted .... set the record straight.

People here, as well as in the newspapers, have begun running amok that only an FC can get Nigeria to the World Cup.... don't appoint a Nigerian as Manager because that means no World Cup (????).... Really? :???: :???:

Well, the record is that currently we are in a hole..... in third place behind two countries in a group that Nigeria is seeded No. 1. Well, it was not a local Manager that has Nigeria in that hole. Let that sink in. Nigeria got into that hole under an FC. Let that sink in.

This post was deliberately put up as a means of a RECORDING. It is what it is. Thus, months down the road we should not have revisionist storming here and writing about how local Managers cannot get Nigeria to the World Cup or if a local Manager does so, we would not have a revisionist claiming replace him because a local Manager cannot do jack at the World Cup.

Until we begin to understand: that whether you are local or foreign, it depends on the individual's ability. Until we understand that hiring a journeyman European simply because his European will not do.... Until then, these anomalies shall be highlighted.
This is how you black mambas play it! No one hires a coach because he’s white, they’re hired because of their pedigree. Rohr and Peseiro were not hired because of their skin colour but because of the body of work they have done which includes coaching at the highest levels in their respective countries.
These same group of freedom fighters want to employ a coach just because he’s black and I remember EII celebrating Eguavoen’s appointment as SE manager about 3 years ago just because he’s a local coach and obviously black!
So please stop projecting yourself to those who ask for the best man to be appointed irrespective of their skin colour!
Stop pretending that you want the best man for the job, you are not fooling anyone. All you want to a local coach and stop speaking from both sides of your mouth regarding the coaching issue!
Dammy,

Is this a joke or are you sure you can defend what you just stated? Let me just address one:

Please let us know what Peseiro's stellar record, with national teams, was at the time Nigeria hired him? Gosh, it was just recent, so it cannot be forgotten.
Don’t use your usual “muddy the waters” tactics on me, it will not work!
You know very well that Peseiro’s career didn’t start with Venezuela.
The same Mourinho that you claim you will accept was sacked at Chelsea, Man United, Tottenham and recently Roma. Does that make him a bad coach?
Support local coaches openly and stop walking on both sides of the street.
Your “dabaru” tactics is obvious to everyone now
I am happy
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I actually thought about a scenario where a local coach comes in and rescues Nigeria. The WOWO NFF then hires a foreign coach like Renard to take Nigeria to the World cup. It is not impossible for them. They have done it before. I will wish the team the best. Will not watch any matches.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Orion wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:51 pm
Bell wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:25 pm
Orion wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:53 am
wanaj0 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:54 am
Orion wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:20 am A recent AFCON finalist quacking in its boots because of Rwanda and South Africa?

South Africa was our only competition, but they're notoriously inconsistent, as they've already proven with just two games played.

I expect even an average coach to top the group unless there are other deeper issues with the team, like lack of bonus payment, etc.
How consistent is the SE? How come we are not topping the table right now?

Congrats to the SE for getting the the final of the ANC but the problems are still evident in the number of goals scored during the tournament.
We're more consistent than SA. We don't randomly lose away games to minnows like they can do.

Although our home games have been a problem lately, I believe this is due to admin problems with the team, like non-payment of bonuses, etc.

ADMINISTRATIVE PROBLEMS?

Not the coach?
Bell
There is only so much a coach can do when the admin is poor. I remember Siasia's struggling U23 team in 2015 suddenly transforming in performance after their outstanding bonuses were paid.

We forget about the mental effect on the players. It’s not even about the money for some of them in foreign clubs, as they make good money. It's just the principle of it. It leaves a sour taste when you feel someone is not holding up their end of the bargain and taking you for a ride. The general mood in camp can have a massive effect on team performance. These people are not robots.
VERY TRUE

I only brought it up because similar excuses have never been made for Nigerian coaches. In 2001, there was turmoil in the camp on the way to the AFCON and they lost in the semi's (?) to a 10-man Cameroon, which gave the nervous NFA the perfect excuse they needed to fire him. They then went around the world on a fool's errand looking for a non-Nigerian. Unable to find one the job was handed to Oningbide and we all know how that ended.

(It should be recalled that Cameroon went on to surprise the world at Korea/Japan)

In 2014, Keshi was impressive as a coach in Brazil but didn't receive any endorsement from the NFA in form of a new contract. Until it was very late. The team did not qualify and the foreign advocates never gave him a mulligan for that.
Bell
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

There will NOT be a great decision. It will be about which tradeoffs we can manage.

Environment
The coaching set up, as previously understood in other NFF administrations, required some group/interest make money. Either up front money from the journeyman, foreign coach thru residual payments via the inflated contract or local coach abusing his discretionary powers to select marginal players for pecuniary reasons.

What items are in place for to ensure that both the coach, and administrators NOT make money? If we don't focus on that, we will be spinning our wheels till 2040.

What guard rails are in place or need to be enforced for a coach to be summarily dismissed or contract terminated for violations? After Siasia's adventure with FIFA, one would think a coach would exercise caution, and prudently conduct himself if said coach had such inclinations for unethical conduct.

Is the NFF willing to permanently 'f$%k' up a coach? Punishment including, but not limited to, banning from all football related activities in Nigeria? Or escalation, and/or reporting to FIFA?

What gets tolerated gets done abi?

Is the NFF willing to set the tone? Is the NFF itself above board, willing to meet, and have things in place to meet contractual obligations? Failure to meet contractual obligations by the NFF has led local coaches down some perfidious path.
Is the NFF able to throw stones in the glass house?

Is the trick to have the coach select from a large, approved list of players? 4 players deep in every position. Players in form, and selected 30 days before a match by the technical committee. Would that minimize the selection of last minute, marginal players? Note, clubs have to be notified well in advance for players to be released.
Would that minimize the (potential) abuse of the discretionary, selection powers of the coach?

What a coach does with game, and substitution management is another issue.

Football ecosystem
Has the management of football affairs been reduced to just selecting a coach, players, and participating in tournaments with associated government support?

Is the NFF serious about having a long term vision, and brand to attract additional stakeholders/sponsors? Stakeholders/sponsors operating under different timescales, and accountability measures? Where does the coach fit in the attempt to execute this "plan"?