STRATEGIC CHOICES FOR EAGLES under Finidi George

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: STRATEGIC CHOICES FOR EAGLES under Finidi George

Post by vancity eagle »

Formation absolutely matters.

ESPECIALLY when you put the wrong players in positions they are not suited to play.

Which is exactly what we have been doing in our failed 442 experiments.

For 2 central midfielders to work, you need 2 workhorses who will run tirelessly and out in a defensive shift. Both players also need to be good in advancing the ball forward, good dribblers and passers.

You also need your SS to be very good on the ball and highly technical. He needs to be able to regularly drop back into midfield.

We have never played a 442 with the right players, so it has always failed.

To pretend this isn't an issue is asinine.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:32 am So apparently a mandate given to Finidi, is to give homebased players more opportunity in the team.

This is Keshi all over again.

We are in serious trouble.
You mean winning the AFCON again :thumbs:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Agbako wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:59 pm
Bell wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:42 am
deanotito wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:04 am I wish Finidi all the best and am rooting for him.

On formations, for about 20 years, I've listened to soccer fans/coaches wax lyrical about all kinds of formations and why the 442 is dead, but for the life of me, I'm yet to see a more balanced formation than the 442. I hate the soccer that all these 352 or 3511 formations result in...or some eyesore like 4231.... I just don't see the point of many of these formations, and feel that they result in uninspiring football. If you lack good defenders, I can see why you would play 352, but barring some gaping personnel hole, I honestly hate most of these formations.

I think a winning coach has to be supported and so I supported Peseiro as he continued to advance in the Afcon, BUT if I have to watch one more game that in which Osimhen is isolated up front, I could literally vomit. When he got back from the Afcon, and I got a sense that Napoli was playing the same way, I refused to watch them.

Please, 2 strikers all the way, and 2 wingers to support them...wingers who can double back and help the fullbacks. Get you a playmaker and a dependable DM. Enough of this defensive football

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I agree with just about everything you've posted here. I think formations are brought up by people who want to project technical knowhow. When a coach wins with something everybody wants to copy it. Notice how everybody now has somebody taking his siesta behind the wall in free kicks? Formations don't win; talent does. Give me 11 good players and I'll go against ny formation - just flow with the ball. But I absolutely hated to see Osimhen isolated upfront with no one to get him the ball.
Bell
Eeerrmmnn.. 11 Gbosas to you..... As a Coach I stand by your summation. Give me the best talent. I will beat any formation you bring even from Heaven. It is clear why even the current acclaimed Pep Guardiola still goes after the best players he can lay his hands on. So do every clubs... Formation dont win you games. Talent does.

Abi na formation Ivory Coast take beat us 2-1 at AFCON Final? just asking oooooo

All Finidi needs is to find good n talented players to win his games. Starting from the archly heals of the team MIDFIELD....

agbako, THANKS VERY MUCH ALSO

Not just in soccer, but in all sports I hear how people lionize and build up a coach as if he/she has some rare knowledge that no one else has as though they can turn iron into gold. Yet those same coaches go out searching for super talent. Why not just take any 11 players and turn them into winners? As I've said often, show me a good coach and I'll show you his great talent pool. When that pool dries up you see how ordinary they become.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:05 pm Formation absolutely matters.

ESPECIALLY when you put the wrong players in positions they are not suited to play.

For 2 central midfielders to work, you need 2 workhorses who will run tirelessly and out in a defensive shift. Both players also need to be good in advancing the ball forward, good dribblers and passers.

You also need your SS to be very good on the ball and highly technical. He needs to be able to regularly drop back into midfield.

FORMATION DOES MATTER - UP TO A POINT

You don't want your center forward manning your defense, for example. Most of them are not good at it, and they don't have the mind for it either. Or your brawny defender trying to meander his way thru the opposing defense. And of course, Peseiro deploying Osimhen alone upfront makes no sense but I'd withhold judgment until I know his thinking.

That said, I think people take it too far, with diminishing returns. Everyone seems to have his preferred formation, seemingly anything that adds up to 10. Do the players even understand their formation? I look at a high level match, and even without knowing what formation they're in, 90% of the time I know where the players should be and where the ball should go.
Bell
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Bell wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:42 pm

You don't want your center forward manning your defense, for example. Most of them are not good at it, and they don't have the mind for it either. Or your brawny defender trying to meander his way thru the opposing defense. And of course, Peseiro deploying Osimhen alone upfront makes no sense but I'd withhold judgment until I know his thinking.

That said, I think people take it too far, with diminishing returns. Everyone seems to have his preferred formation, seemingly anything that adds up to 10. Do the players even understand their formation? I look at a high level match, and even without knowing what formation they're in, 90% of the time I know where the players should be and where the ball should go.
Bell
Bell, the thing is that this formation fixation has given fans something to do to make them feel smart about the game. Some of these odd formations I see are just ridiculous.

Even if I play the much maligned 4-2-4, there are instructions one can give the forward players to make sure the midfield isn’t overrun.

I just haven’t seen a better formation than the 442. All this 311311 formation bizness na just for computer game
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

deanotito wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:17 pm

Bell
Bell, the thing is that this formation fixation has given fans something to do to make them feel smart about the game. Some of these odd formations I see are just ridiculous.

Even if I play the much maligned 4-2-4, there are instructions one can give the forward players to make sure the midfield isn’t overrun.

I just haven’t seen a better formation than the 442. All this 311311 formation bizness na just for computer game

TRUE - MIKE TYSON PUT IT WELL

Everybody has a plan until the first punch lands. Out goes the plan and people start acting intuitively.
Bell
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Bell

So where have you seen this successful 442 deployed in terms of SE ?
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:44 pm

Bell

Let me be Nigerian and answer your question with a question. Which game did Nigeria lose where the reason they lost was the 442 formation?

You’re going to tell me we lost games to Equatorial Guinea because we didn’t play 352??? Or did Messi’s Argentina beat us at successive world cups because we didn’t deploy 4231?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bell

Not sure that you fully understand the role of formations in the modern game.
But I would agree that it's not simply a matter of one choice of formation over another. It ultimately depends on the fit for the players available, the opposition and the context of each game.
Formations are ultimately just numbers. Its the details behind the numbers that matters.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

txj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:00 am

Bell

But I would agree that it's not simply a matter of one choice of formation over another. It ultimately depends on the fit for the players available, the opposition and the context of each game.
Formations are ultimately just numbers. Its the details behind the numbers that matters.
Same thing I've been told for years. Look, all of us understand that you need a basic structure for your football team. However, there's way too much tinkering going on with formations these days. Soccer is not American Football, with defined plays and positions. Its a lot more fluid, and all these fancy formations are just useless imo.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

deanotito wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:20 am

Bell

Same thing I've been told for years. Look, all of us understand that you need a basic structure for your football team. However, there's way too much tinkering going on with formations these days. Soccer is not American Football, with defined plays and positions. Its a lot more fluid, and all these fancy formations are just useless imo.

I'm sure the likes of Guardiola and Klopp who spend hours and hours on team structure and how to adapt it to a fast moving game are just useless 🤔

The things you see here on CE!!!

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

txj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:24 am

Bell

I'm sure the likes of Guardiola and Klopp who spend hours and hours on team structure and how to adapt it to a fast moving game are just useless 🤔

Yeah, you lot tell yourself that. Enjoy

Guardiola, who has the best players on the planet? Cool

What they spend much of their time on is implementing a playing style/philosophy. Not all these FIFA 2K formations, whose only goal is to make fans feel like they know something about the game.

A few years ago, every Sunday Sunday fan I knew started using terms like low block and high block. Terms that just showed up in fan lexicon but whose meanings we’ve known and used for multiple generations. But why did these terms proliferate? Just fanship nonsense
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

deanotito wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:34 pm

Bell

Let me be Nigerian and answer your question with a question. Which game did Nigeria lose where the reason they lost was the 442 formation?

You’re going to tell me we lost games to Equatorial Guinea because we didn’t play 352??? Or did Messi’s Argentina beat us at successive world cups because we didn’t deploy 4231?
Like I said 442 will only work if you use the right players which we haven't done in the 21st century.

442 was the end of Rohr. His team did well with a 433 until he tried to FORCE Nacho into the lineup by switching to 442. This was when Nigeria started to stop creating chances because Nacho was a passenger and we didn't have 2 hardworking 2 way midfielders who could both attack and defend.

Same thing happened when we got found out under Egu at the afcon.

Same thing happened when Peseiro tried the formation, although under Peseiro.

Our best football has always been a version of 433.

Rohrs best football was 433

Keshi won AFCON with 433

Peseiros best match at AFCON (although we didn't win but created most chances) was a 433.

For anybody who has been following SE, it is clear our best football (in terms of balance and chance creation) has always been 433.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:01 am
deanotito wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:34 pm

Bell

Like I said 442 will only work if you use the right players which we haven't done in the 21st century.

442 was the end of Rohr. His team did well with a 433 until he tried to FORCE Nacho into the lineup by switching to 442. This was when Nigeria started to stop creating chances because Nacho was a passenger and we didn't have 2 hardworking 2 way midfielders who could both attack and defend.

Same thing happened when we got found out under Egu at the afcon.

Same thing happened when Peseiro tried the formation, although under Peseiro.

Our best football has always been a version of 433.

Rohrs best football was 433

Keshi won AFCON with 433

Peseiros best match at AFCON (although we didn't win but created most chances) was a 433.

For anybody who has been following SE, it is clear our best football (in terms of balance and chance creation) has always been 433.
Oyinbo man, you for apply to coach SE since you sabi formation well well. Lest I forget, I was told to laugh at you and move on. Ok make I laugh 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

deanotito wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:35 am
txj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:24 am

Bell

Yeah, you lot tell yourself that. Enjoy

Guardiola, who has the best players on the planet? Cool

What they spend much of their time on is implementing a playing style/philosophy. Not all these FIFA 2K formations, whose only goal is to make fans feel like they know something about the game.

A few years ago, every Sunday Sunday fan I knew started using terms like low block and high block. Terms that just showed up in fan lexicon but whose meanings we’ve known and used for multiple generations. But why did these terms proliferate? Just fanship nonsense

:rotf: :rotf:
The eternal bliss of a "spotless mind "

Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Lolly wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:44 am
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:32 am So apparently a mandate given to Finidi, is to give homebased players more opportunity in the team.

This is Keshi all over again.

We are in serious trouble.
Isn’t that what proponents of “no more foreign coaches” want? They tell us we have plenty talent in the NPFL who can make the team better and only a local coach can unearth them. Finidi has a chance prove them right.

MAY I CORRECT YOU?

As a clear and unrepentant advocate for Nigerian coaches, never have I said a coach has to use the talent in Nigeria. It is true local coaches have a clear advantage in unearthing local talent it is not required that he uses local players. Unless they are good enough. Otherwise, he should field the best players regardless of where they play. But let's not forget: Nigerian players are made in Nigeria even if they end up playing elsewhere. I thought that point needs to be made so we don't go forward with an inaccurate premise.
Bell
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

And it begins

Score Nigeria reports that preparations for the South Africa match will begin with homebased players camping.

So we are on the year 2024 and this is really how he wants to operate.

Let me ask which successful African team operates like this in 2024 ?

Senegal ? CIV ? Morocco ? Algeria ?

So these guys will come to "fight for shirts" and they may even injure our main players in camp.

Finidi will try and do what Keshi did, but anyone who thinks such a strategy will work in 2024 is just downright foolish.
bunda
Egg
Egg

Post by bunda »

THANK YOU
SOMEONE THAT GETS IT !!!!
quote="vancity eagle" post_id=5975655 time=1714496730 user_id=423]
Formation absolutely matters.

[/quote]