STRATEGIC CHOICES FOR EAGLES under Finidi George

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
STRATEGIC CHOICES FOR EAGLES under Finidi George

Post by Enugu II »

Finidi George now has his hands fully around the steering wheel of the Super Eagles. He is no longer an Assistant but the substantive guy after a heated battle on the board between his candidacy and that of Emmanuel Amuneke grounded on the availability of funds. Finidi better have a contract signed under the watch of a lawyer. No advise may be better.

In any case, let’s look at Finidi George and what he is likely going to do with the team that is now under his full control. Forst, the NFF will likely determine his assistants, factoring geographical origin as is always the case. Nevertheless, Finidi remains the leader and his imprint can and is expected to be informed by his past. Thus, we use that past to take a glimpse on how he will look for the team to play going forward. Fortunately, in just two games as interim with the team he exposed his preferences and then we also know his preferences with his work at Enyimba.

Formational Variations

There are four major formational variations that Finidi often prefers, usually with his club and at least two were apparent in his time in charge of international friendlies with the Super Eagles.

We start by addressing the two he used as 2-game manager of the Super Eagles. In those two games, Finidi used a 3-5-2 and 3-5-1-1. In interviews after the friendlies, he argued that he used two strikers because of lessons from the AFCON where Osimhen was often isolated upfront and had to run around in acres of space. Secondly, he wanted Nigeria to force the attacking rather than soak up the pressure as was often the case at the AFCON.

Well, in the two friendlies, he saw his formation work well in the first game but in the second, Nigeria seemed out of its depth until much later in the game. Clearly, Finidi knows that these offensive formations must be tempered with caution because playing defensively also has its merits depending on the result that the team seeks as well as the strength of the opposition.

At Enyimba, Finidi has used the 4-4-2 and it will not be surprising if he uses this in some games at the national level. He has yet to do this but it should be expected going forward.

Strategic and Tactical underpinnings within the Variations
In spite of the formations identified above, there are things that Findi did in the two internationals that should thrill a large number of Nigerian fans who have perennial complained about the Super Eagles. In the two games under Finidi, he chose to ditch players who traditionally play wide and banish them to the sidelines while seeking to introduce pure midfielders as the wide players in his midfield setups or use wide backs in lieu. Thus, against Ghana, Lookman and Moses were both left out of the starting lineup. This led to some uproar, but the fact is that Finidi was experimenting by Lookman he came in to replace a defenregimes, come in only as substitutes. In the cases of Lookman he came in to replace a defender and then switched with a wingback in the formation. In the case of Moses, he came in to replace a striker. This clearly exposed Finidi’s intent to ditch traditional wingers from the wide spaces.

Defensively, he chose to have the defense vigorously fight to recover the ball. This was not different from what Peseiro did at the AFCON. It indicates an important aspect and clearly a difference from how the team frequently played under Gernot Rohr where the ball recovery phase often started in Nigeria’s own half.
More on some of this later.

Possible Challenges
Given Finidi’s preferences, the challenge is how to play South Africa in an away game during the upcoming World Cup qualifiers. Surely, his idea of going forward in a hostile environment could be dicey. This game is expected to be dicey and must be approached with caution and guile. The idea must be to play safe for at least a point while seeking to sneak a win. If Nigeria gets a tie, that leaves Nigeria at an advantage with a home game awaiting. Although, Nigeria is currently placed third in its World Cup qualifying group, it does not mean that qualification opportunities have foreclosed. It simply requires making good strategic choices in the upcoming qualifiers.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: STRATEGIC CHOICES FOR EAGLES under Finidi George

Post by vancity eagle »

Nigeria is playing South Africa AT HOME. Not away.

It is a must win game.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 pm Nigeria is playing South Africa AT HOME. Not away.

It is a must win game.
Surely, the HOME GAME is definitely a MUST win.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

A better litmus test and glimpse into the type of coach Finidi is will once again come from the number and type of midfielders he invites.. will he pick up from where Peseiro left off by sticking to the same 4-5 midfielders with ONLY Iwobi doing all the creative duties from a deeper role? or will be more dynamic and try something different like Iwobi playing in his more natural advanced position? Will he finally give players like fringe prospects like Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, Onyedika, Olawoyin or Ifeanyi Matthew etc a chance? Will he be given a free reign to choose his own team rather than be another "yes man" to higher-ups within the NFF who want their political deadweights retained in the team?

We shall wait and see...
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Since the squad will be HIS for the first time, we will learn much about him as a coach when the squad is released.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:05 pm Since the squad will be HIS for the first time, we will learn much about him as a coach when the squad is released.
Agreed. I believe that he will begin to do that at the next round of international friendlies. For the upcoming World Cup qualifiers, he will stick largely with the current squad.

He is likely going to avoid using wingers as his wide midfielders. He has already shown that during the two friendlies. That position will be taken by the wing backs. This means he will have some of those players either in central midfield or in striking positions. These ideas have already been demonstrated by him.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

They are saying it is a 2 year contract with an option for an additional year. So he is going to get a chance to rebuild the the team into what he wants. It is going to be a difficult task. Even the best coach will struggle early. All hands should be on deck for the SA game and the Benin republic. It is doable but it is going to be difficult.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I wish Finidi all the best and am rooting for him.

On formations, for about 20 years, I've listened to soccer fans/coaches wax lyrical about all kinds of formations and why the 442 is dead, but for the life of me, I'm yet to see a more balanced formation than the 442. I hate the soccer that all these 352 or 3511 formations result in...or some eyesore like 4231.... I just don't see the point of many of these formations, and feel that they result in uninspiring football. If you lack good defenders, I can see why you would play 352, but barring some gaping personnel hole, I honestly hate most of these formations.

I think a winning coach has to be supported and so I supported Peseiro as he continued to advance in the Afcon, BUT if I have to watch one more game that in which Osimhen is isolated up front, I could literally vomit. When he got back from the Afcon, and I got a sense that Napoli was playing the same way, I refused to watch them.

Please, 2 strikers all the way, and 2 wingers to support them...wingers who can double back and help the fullbacks. Get you a playmaker and a dependable DM. Enough of this defensive football
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

deanotito wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:04 am I wish Finidi all the best and am rooting for him.

On formations, for about 20 years, I've listened to soccer fans/coaches wax lyrical about all kinds of formations and why the 442 is dead, but for the life of me, I'm yet to see a more balanced formation than the 442. I hate the soccer that all these 352 or 3511 formations result in...or some eyesore like 4231.... I just don't see the point of many of these formations, and feel that they result in uninspiring football. If you lack good defenders, I can see why you would play 352, but barring some gaping personnel hole, I honestly hate most of these formations.

I think a winning coach has to be supported and so I supported Peseiro as he continued to advance in the Afcon, BUT if I have to watch one more game that in which Osimhen is isolated up front, I could literally vomit. When he got back from the Afcon, and I got a sense that Napoli was playing the same way, I refused to watch them.

Please, 2 strikers all the way, and 2 wingers to support them...wingers who can double back and help the fullbacks. Get you a playmaker and a dependable DM. Enough of this defensive football
442 was employed by all of

Rohr, Eguoavoen, and Peseiro.

It was a FAILURE with all 3. So why on earth arepeople still clamoring for a useless formation.

The only good thing I actually liked about Finidi was the way he went straight to a 352, which may actually be the best formation given the players at our disposal.

The era of 2 central midfielders must END.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

deanotito wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:04 am I wish Finidi all the best and am rooting for him.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I agree with just about everything you've posted here. I think formations are brought up by people who want to project technical knowhow. When a coach wins with something everybody wants to copy it. Notice how everybody now has somebody taking his siesta behind the wall in free kicks? Formations don't win; talent does. Give me 11 good players and I'll go against ny formation - just flow with the ball. But I absolutely hated to see Osimhen isolated upfront with no one to get him the ball.
Bell
Last edited by Bell on Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Bell wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:42 am

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

So apparently a mandate given to Finidi, is to give homebased players more opportunity in the team.

This is Keshi all over again.

We are in serious trouble.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:32 am So apparently a mandate given to Finidi, is to give homebased players more opportunity in the team.

Chai.
Na Finidi head dem wan use do experiment.
Fasten your seat belts everyone cos this might be rough.
Turbulence ahead.

Best of luck to the man. He was my only choice in the bunch.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:41 am
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:32 am So apparently a mandate given to Finidi, is to give homebased players more opportunity in the team.

Chai.
Turbulence ahead.

It's not looking good even before it started, Finidi seems like your typical quiet nice guy who will be told what to do by the NFF thieves, we're in for a very long ride.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I hope he has what it takes to fight his battle. He will win or be undone by the shenanigans in the office and not on the field. The activities on the field will only be used to nail him. I would like to see the contract details, i want to see the salary , it has to be the same or almost as what is being offered the foreign coach. I want to see logistics in place that would not suddenly make the players feel like , Ah this is not working because they have brought in a local coach. It is these little details that will translate to results on the field.

I wish Finidi good luck, he would need everything.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:35 am
Damunk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:41 am

Chai.
Turbulence ahead.

It's not looking good even before it started, Finidi seems like your typical quiet nice guy who will be told what to do by the NFF thieves, we're in for a very long ride.
I did not want to put it like this, but those politicians in the federation know how to set traps for the local coaches. I hope i am wrong , that is why i held my guns. With everything Nigerian, i have come to develop a certain amount of patience to see the episode play out. So far most of the episodes have not disappointed me
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Isn’t that what proponents of “no more foreign coaches” want? They tell us we have plenty talent in the NPFL who can make the team better and only a local coach can unearth them. Finidi has a chance prove them right.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Suddenly the smart alecs that were quiet during Rohr and Peseiro, come out of the woodwork.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:48 am Suddenly the smart alecs that were quiet during Rohr and Peseiro, come out of the woodwork.
Most forumers have had their say on Rohr and Peseiro. It’s now the turn of Finidi. This place would be hot in June. Fasten your seatbelt bro.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:48 am Suddenly the smart alecs that were quiet during Rohr and Peseiro, come out of the woodwork.
Some only have power and mouth to talk down local.coaches even before bobo enter house. Bunches of jokers. They offer nothing but pointless rants on the internet
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Most people have had things to say about ALL coaches.

Maybe you have selective memory.

Anyways Rohr and Peseiro won bronze and silver at AFCON. We should expect NO LESS from Finidi.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I agree with just about everything you've posted here. I think formations are brought up by people who want to project technical knowhow. When a coach wins with something everybody wants to copy it. Notice how everybody now has somebody taking his siesta behind the wall in free kicks? Formations don't win; talent does. Give me 11 good players and I'll go against ny formation - just flow with the ball. But I absolutely hated to see Osimhen isolated upfront with no one to get him the ball.
Bell

Yeah, it’s like everybody wants to nerd out on this formation business but when I watch the product on the field, I can’t see what all these fancy formations bring you.

Talent is the key. If you have top players doing what they’re supposed to do, I don’t see why people should be playing 352. Why make someone that should be a fullback do all that running? To what end? After, when the guy is gassed, people will say he’s not fit. Why don’t you go and run up and down the length of a field for 90 minutes straight
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Bell
Eeerrmmnn.. 11 Gbosas to you..... As a Coach I stand by your summation. Give me the best talent. I will beat any formation you bring even from Heaven. It is clear why even the current acclaimed Pep Guardiola still goes after the best players he can lay his hands on. So do every clubs... Formation dont win you games. Talent does.

Abi na formation Ivory Coast take beat us 2-1 at AFCON Final? just asking oooooo

All Finidi needs is to find good n talented players to win his games. Starting from the archly heals of the team MIDFIELD....