Here we go again: Open camp of SE to local talent-Finidi's first move

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

icee
Egg
Egg
Here we go again: Open camp of SE to local talent-Finidi's first move

Post by icee »

I have said this before; I am less interested in the dichotomy of local vs foreign coach or Oyinbo vs non-oyinbo. I think this too unintelligent (as I weary of using the word "dumb"). My yearning was for us to hire the best coach that we can afford. I did state that there are ONLY a few Nigerian coaches that have the character to counter the Nigerian excesses that shoot us in the foot. For example, I did not expect Eguavon to push back on Picknick or Air Peace CEO coming in to give a half-time talk during Afcon 2023. A Sunday Oliseh or Waldrum or Keshi would have pushed back. These types of important character trait of not being afraid to rock that NFF boat is critical to success especially for a local coach even more than a foreign coach (NFF wouldn't event try certain things with a foreign coach. Like we do not know right now how much Finidi will be paid).

I am hearing that Finidi's assistants will be selected by the NFF. Guys where do we see this happening? That's why a foreign coach will still typically bring their own competent key assistance even if it means we have 6 assistants instead of 3. You can see how the system starts to set up from the get go for sub optimal results

What is Finidi is not paid?

Then I see this article: I'm like yep...this is not looking good. Like you need to open camp to discover, not U17, U20, 21, 23 bit SE? What a waste.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/05/finidi-geo ... games.html

"To bolster Nigeria’s chances in the upcoming crucial 2026 World Cup qualifiers, newly appointed Super Eagles coach Finidi George is set to kick off preparations with a training camp exclusively featuring home-based talents, Soccernet.ng reports.

Nigeria take on South Africa and the Benin Republic in June on matchday three and four of the World Cup qualifying campaign in two crucial games.

Usually, the Super Eagles camp opens only a few days before major games with the arrival of the team’s foreign-based stars."

When I see stuff like this, as much as I want us to win; I just don't think we deserve it. Not talking about Finidi's technical capabilities for the job - the jury is still out on that but on the type of person especially if it is a local coach? I don't think he is it...time for prayers cos not very many other options.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Here we go again: Open camp of SE to local talent-Finidi's first move

Post by aruako1 »

I don't see anything wrong with a homebased training camp prior to the release of foreign players.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

There are two players I believe can help the Super Eagles.

Sodiq Ismail, Right Back for Remo Stars
Ikenna Cooper, midfielder of Enyimba

I would like to see my client, Kingdom Osayi, invited as one of the goalies.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

aruako1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:00 pm I don't see anything wrong with a homebased training camp prior to the release of foreign players.
Which successful African team does this ?

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

This is good, take a look at a few of them, if they aren't up to par we move on. Right now we cannot have our FBs in Camp, even our Coach cannot be in camp but can monitor until the NPFL season is over.. sometimes some of you should analyze the article that are JJ properly .

OP has started jumping to conclusion. how can there be an open camp when the coach is still employed by Enyimba FC ?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Also stop making ish up. Coach George will be selecting his own assistants, rumor has it bobo is getting his own FC assistants
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Wed May 01, 2024 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:03 pm There are two players I believe can help the Super Eagles.

There's been a lot of hype about Sodiq. I wouldnt mind a player like that being invited. Especially as Aina is often injured, and he can play leftback anyways.

However this general camping of homebased players is a complete waste of time and resources.

I thought these guys had no money ? So they will fly in all these guys and put them up in hotels for what exactly ?
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:06 pm
aruako1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:00 pm I don't see anything wrong with a homebased training camp prior to the release of foreign players.

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
Keshi did and won the AFCON. I know you wish that the 2013 ANC is removed from memory :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wanaj0 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:10 pm

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
Keshi did and won the AFCON. I know you wish that the 2013 ANC is removed from memory :taunt:
Yep, I have no issue with whatever his process is, all we want is results…He should be free to do what he feels he needs to…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
2024 and you are stuck a decade ago.

That kind of nonsense will not succeed in 2024.

You are aware that we also had nowhere near as many players in Europe in 2013 as we do today. You are aware of that right ?

I ask again, which successful African team does this ?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

icee wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:33 pm I have said this before; I am less interested in the dichotomy of local vs foreign coach or Oyinbo vs non-oyinbo. I think this too unintelligent (as I weary of using the word "dumb"). My yearning was for us to hire the best coach that we can afford. I did state that there are ONLY a few Nigerian coaches that have the character to counter the Nigerian excesses that shoot us in the foot. For example, I did not expect Eguavon to push back on Picknick or Air Peace CEO coming in to give a half-time talk during Afcon 2023. A Sunday Oliseh or Waldrum or Keshi would have pushed back. These types of important character trait of not being afraid to rock that NFF boat is critical to success especially for a local coach even more than a foreign coach (NFF wouldn't event try certain things with a foreign coach. Like we do not know right now how much Finidi will be paid).

I am hearing that Finidi's assistants will be selected by the NFF. Guys where do we see this happening? That's why a foreign coach will still typically bring their own competent key assistance even if it means we have 6 assistants instead of 3. You can see how the system starts to set up from the get go for sub optimal results

What is Finidi is not paid?

Then I see this article: I'm like yep...this is not looking good. Like you need to open camp to discover, not U17, U20, 21, 23 bit SE? What a waste.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/05/finidi-geo ... games.html

"To bolster Nigeria’s chances in the upcoming crucial 2026 World Cup qualifiers, newly appointed Super Eagles coach Finidi George is set to kick off preparations with a training camp exclusively featuring home-based talents, Soccernet.ng reports.

Nigeria take on South Africa and the Benin Republic in June on matchday three and four of the World Cup qualifying campaign in two crucial games.

Usually, the Super Eagles camp opens only a few days before major games with the arrival of the team’s foreign-based stars."

When I see stuff like this, as much as I want us to win; I just don't think we deserve it. Not talking about Finidi's technical capabilities for the job - the jury is still out on that but on the type of person especially if it is a local coach? I don't think he is it...time for prayers cos not very many other options.
All the things you’ve alluded to are non issues.

First of all, there’s nothing wrong with an open camp for home based players. An open camp does not necessarily mean any home based players will
be named in the squad, soccernet’s speculation not withstanding. Moreover the possibility of a call up is always an incentive for home based players to step up their game… and don’t forget that homebased players are needed for CHAN.

Secondly, It is not uncommon for celebrities to give pep talks to athletes all over the world.

Thirdly, the NFF has always appointed assistants for national coaches, indigenous and foreign alike. Some foreign and local coaches have opted to pay for their own preferred assistants out of pocket and Finidi George can do the same if he chooses🤔❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Wed May 01, 2024 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:14 pm

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
2024 and you are stuck a decade ago.

That kind of nonsense will not succeed in 2024.

You are aware that we also had nowhere near as many players in Europe in 2013 as we do today. You are aware of that right ?

I ask again, which successful African team does this ?
No other team was doing that in 2013 as well, but it worked for us. Let him go through his process haba…the proof will be in the pudding.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Fighting for shirts is back !!!!!

We are in serious trouble. I knew this was going to happen.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:09 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:03 pm There are two players I believe can help the Super Eagles.

There's been a lot of hype about Sodiq. I wouldnt mind a player like that being invited. Especially as Aina is often injured, and he can play leftback anyways.

However this general camping of homebased players is a complete waste of time and resources.

I thought these guys had no money ? So they will fly in all these guys and put them up in hotels for what exactly ?
Sodiq is a solid crosser of the ball. The bend and pace at which he crosses the ball would be an added bonus for our forwards, especially if Osimhen is playing. He actually works on it... he is not like try-your-luck type of crosser. As they say in some quarters, "he puts some English to his crosses".

As for the general camping of local players. I don't know.
I have always been from the school of thought that we should have a dual program with regard to player development.

Finidi, having coached in the league for some time now, must have seen players who he thinks deserve a closer look by him without necessarily being called up to the full camp.

BTW, our best crosser of the ball is currently playing Center Back and he is having a heck of a season playing there.
Should we move him to RB? Or leave him where he is?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:17 pm Fighting for shirts is back !!!!!

We are in serious trouble. I knew this was going to happen.
I think the bigger concern, which I don't know why the journalists didn't ask him about, was if his use of subs against Mali is indicative of how he intends to coach the team.

Then again, the NFF didn't make him available for interviews.

The NFF should formally introduce him and make him available for questions.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

We need a strong Chan team as well. wE suck at club level .Getting into a CHan team will motivate players from Enyimba, Insurance, Remo etc
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

the responses so far are exactly why we need a coach that counters the Nigerian element of oddities. Imagine this headline: ***Brazilian Coach throws camp open for home based players for Senior Team selection. ***

Even with a better league than our NPFL wouldn't this sound off to you?

Here's the starting line up of Brazil's 2026 WC Qualifier vs. Colombia in November: Brazil’s confirmed starting 11: Alisson; Renan Lodi, Gabriel Magalhaes, Marquinhos, Emerson Royal; Bruno Guimaraes, Andre; Rodrygo, Vinicius Jr., Raphinha, and Gabriel Martinelli. No home based

Again: Why and why do we focus on
Local Coach vs. best coach
Local players vs Best players

and needlessly add complications to decision processes that can be straightforward. Again we have U17, U21, U23 where the proposed may be legitimate or should be the primary conduit for unearthing talent

As per Ikpeba in his qoute in supporting Finidi's mandate on local talent. He said it was the same way we found Finidi by looking inward. What a joke? like we order from restaurants in 2024 the same way we did in 1994? In a world where we have TV and broadcast, why on earth should we waste resources for some silly camp AT the senior level to find talent?? Is that how we found Nwabili. I am more missed at the how (camping players) vs..fishing for home based talent. The whole set up tells you what you need to know. We can keep defending this. Nigerians are the one breed that this wouldn't come across as odd. They wanted Pisero to do this time wasting Charade and he pushed back...he can go watch them play the same way he watched Nwabili whereever he was.

Anyways, prayers. Start expecting some odd names to pop up that are not even the best in the league. Shebi the want to unearth talent? you will see the kind of HB players aka Tazania player that we will start to feature
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

icee wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:30 pm the responses so far are exactly why we need a coach that counters the Nigerian element of oddities. Imagine this headline: ***Brazilian Coach throws camp open for home based players for Senior Team selection. ***

Even with a better league than our NPFL wouldn't this sound off to you?

Here's the starting line up of Brazil's 2026 WC Qualifier vs. Colombia in November: Brazil’s confirmed starting 11: Alisson; Renan Lodi, Gabriel Magalhaes, Marquinhos, Emerson Royal; Bruno Guimaraes, Andre; Rodrygo, Vinicius Jr., Raphinha, and Gabriel Martinelli. No home based

Again: Why and why do we focus on
Local Coach vs. best coach
Local players vs Best players

and needlessly add complications to decision processes that can be straightforward. Again we have U17, U21, U23 where the proposed may be legitimate or should be the primary conduit for unearthing talent

As per Ikpeba in his qoute in supporting Finidi's mandate on local talent. He said it was the same way we found Finidi by looking inward. What a joke? like we order from restaurants in 2024 the same way we did in 1994? In a world where we have TV and broadcast, why on earth should we waste resources for some silly camp AT the senior level to find talent?? Is that how we found Nwabili. I am more missed at the how (camping players) vs..fishing for home based talent. The whole set up tells you what you need to know. We can keep defending this. Nigerians are the one breed that this wouldn't come across as odd. They wanted Pisero to do this time wasting Charade and he pushed back...he can go watch them play the same way he watched Nwabili whereever he was.

Anyways, prayers. Start expecting some odd names to pop up that are not even the best in the league. Shebi the want to unearth talent? you will see the kind of HB players aka Tazania player that we will start to feature
Allow Brazil to do what is best for Brazil.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:23 pm

Sodiq is a solid crosser of the ball. The bend and pace at which he crosses the ball would be an added bonus for our forwards, especially if Osimhen is playing. He actually works on it... he is not like try-your-luck type of crosser. As they say in some quarters, "he puts some English to his crosses".

I have always been from the school of thought that we should have a dual program with regard to player development.

Finidi, having coached in the league for some time now, must have seen players who he thinks deserve a closer look by him without necessarily being called up to the full camp.

BTW, our best crosser of the ball is currently playing Center Back and he is having a heck of a season playing there.
Yes I've heard of Sodiqs crossing a ability which is why I think he deserves a look.

With Sanusi injured you could call Bruno and Aina as the leftbacks and then Samuel and Sodiq as the right backs.

I am not against the invitation of homebased players but it must be WARRANTED, which I believe it would be in this case.

Again Aina is often injured, Samuel has been disappointing of late after a great start, so looking at Sodiq is justified.

With regards to our best crosses in Bassey, perhaps he could play LCB in a 352 and would possibly get opportunity to cross while also playing his main role as a CB.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Thank you sir. Those two players are good enough to be considered. I would have loved to see Ikenna involved in the friendlies last month since we are weak in the CM position. But coach decided on a defender from Tanzania.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Lolly wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 pm

Thank you sir. Those two players are good enough to be considered. I would have loved to see Ikenna involved in the friendlies last month since we are weak in the CM position. But coach decided on a defender from Tanzania.
Let's see if the best HB players get invited
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

POSITIVE MOVE

Well, if true, with one masterstroke, NFF/Finidi have eliminated some critical issue that has plagued the last 2 Foreign coaches. Unwillingness and/or inadequacy in local talent scouting. By so doing, Finidi's has refocused on the local league to compensate for current weaknesses. Weakness that Europe underdeveloped or NOT willing to recruit for. He also gives hope, and additional motivation to local talent as he selects the CHAN squad.

Keshi struggled to fill the attacking midfield position. He had to settle with local based Mbah in AFCON 2013.

Again, in the recent history of the SuperEagles coaches, we are now blessed with a coach who was active in the local league before appointment. Local scouting issues should, if done sincerely, and meritoriously now would be a past issue.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 pm

So if this Ikenna now goes to Tanzania you would no longer support his invite? Since that was the case with Tanimu as he was one of the best in the NPFL before moving to Tanzania…so I’m trying to understand the slick ‘shade’ lol…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:23 pm

He cannot defend; sometimes even at a fundamental level. I see his stance in 1v1 and I am left SMDH!!!

Some of you people do not understand what it takes to play international football.

This is why CAF set up CHAN. Some people use it smartly; some others simply fool around with it...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp