Well Written Article!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Well Written Article!!

Post by aruako1 »

Bell wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:13 am
aruako1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:58 am
highbury wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:30 am If you don't like the article, please look within yourself. This is an excellently written article by the Mathemical himself.

https://www.completesports.com/finidi-g ... -odegbami/
We should hire based on the fit for the team, not nationality or race. The late Maurice Cooremans was white, but as local as you could get. We shouldn't ban "white" coaches. What we need to do is to stop the double standards that exist when we hire foreign v local managers. Hiring a white person doesn't automatically mean a disadvantage for locals. Father Slattery did more for our football than many black Nigerians. If we got Wenger or Mourinho, two coaches known to go out of their way to support black players, would you say they are not good for our football?

There is a thin line between wanting our own (very good) and xenophobia (very bad). Let us not cross that line.

I'M SORRY BUT I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU

To suggest that racism is a motivation in people calling for the coach of the SE comes close to being a strawman or cheap shot. You look all over Nigeria and you see non-indigenes of all races - Europeans, Asians, S. Americans going about their lives undisturbed. They are in education, construction, health, media, transportation, etc, and nobody is calling for them to be sent back home. The only criticism you sometimes hear is that Nigerians give preferential treatment to non-Nigerians.

Are you personally aware of occasions in which Nigerians have demonstrated racism? If not, why all this talk of xenophobia? As a an unrepentant advocate of Nigerian coaches let me make you this offer: show me a qualified white or Asian Nigerian and I'll push his candidacy as coach for the SE. Balogun, Ekong, Plumptre and some others have some Nigerian in them but are also white, and I have no problem if they wish to become a Nigerian coach someday. They have paid their dues and are invested in the country. Waldrum is white but I've also advocated his retention because of special circumstances. There is a possibility of reverse racism here because it is Nigerians whose candidacies are being unfairly considered.

In many countries in the world - Africa, Europe, Asia, S. America, Australia - you can't be the head of the nation, or even be appointed to certain sensitive positions, if you are not born in that country or in some cases a citizen. Is that xenophobia?

The fact is that if people don't want you they can make up all kinds of excuses. Decades ago, you could hardly find a black QB in American football, college or pros. Not surprisingly, they came up with all sorts of excuses - the mental requirement of the position is such that blacks may not be able to master it. Moreover, they claimed, some of the players may not want to take instructions from a black QB. FF to today and blacks are thriving at both levels. THEY FINALLY GOT THEIR CHANCE. Unfortunately, that same war is being fought in the NFL with regards to coaching but even there progress is being made.

The fact is that, after decades of relying on foreign coaches, when are Nigerians going to take off the training wheels and say I'm able to do this by myself? It sends a terribe message to the world about the ability and mentality of Nigerians when, during international tournaments, in front of a world stage, Nigeria is led ALWAYS by a foreigner. When Amodu qualified Nigeria for SA 2010 that alone gave him the right to lead the team to SA. But such is the mentality of the NFA that the the symbolism of allowing a black man lead the team to apartheid SA, a system Nigeria strenuously opposed than most was lost on them.

What is so complicated about football that Nigerians can't handle? When did football become so life & death that it cannot be left to a Nigerian even if it means failure, initially? Where Nigeria should be leading other African countries, it is following grudgingly. That's why I wasn't unhappy when Nigeria was not present at the last WC because it would have been the only African entrant led by a foreigner. This is bigger than football.

Wenger? Mourinho? They are acceptable because they are supportive of blacks? I don't even want to comment on that. But the thinking that Nigeria is only a great coach away from some spectacular tournament performance is totally misplaced. Coaches are important and some are better than others (as in any human endeavor) but, let's not kid ourselves, you win because you have the talent, not because you have great coaches. Nobody is going to make Nigeria favorites to win USA/Mexico/Canada even if they have Wenger and Mourinho together coaching them because what limits Nigeria is talent primarily.

The sooner Nigeria starts using Nigerian coaches, the sooner they'll have a competent cadre. So for my money, it's Nigerian coaches all the way. Some say they simply want excellence, like you can achieve excellence when some else is doing it for you. And you soon will run out of money and experience no growth if you outsource everything .
Bell
It is obvious that you did not read what I wrote but you went ahead to write a long epistle in response because if your binary thinnkung. Where did I say that Nigerians should not be employed for the SE coach? I only said that a ban on white coaches is wrong, something that you agree with in your second paragraph.

What did I say to make you decide that I disagreed with your third paragraph? And where did I write that without a Mourinho or Wenger type coach, we would not succeed as you have insinuated in your third paragraph? And what is wrong with hiring a foreigner that shares your values and supports your people (which is the only reason I used the Wenger and Mourinho analogy)?

On your last paragraph, if someone is willing to live in my country and be treated like the citizens of that country, they should have a right to employment. It would be hypocritical of me to say otherwise when I lived in and worked in other countries as a foreigner.

Finally, it is a bit shocking that you found time to write such a long epistle without actually reading and understanding what I wrote. I will just assume you were tired. We really should stop the binary thinking that we display on here.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ahidjo2 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:41 pm
highbury wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:30 am If you don't like the article, please look within yourself. This is an excellently written article by the Mathemical himself.

An article is bereft of common sense or any intellect whatsoever, riddled with subtle racism. It is not surprising considering that some of our people resort to racist, supremacist, arrogant, lame, and senseless terms such as "colonial mentality", "slave mentality" and "WOWO" whenever they lack useful terms to back up their usual illogical submissions. Some of the people shouting these terms are hiding in the lands of the so-called "slaves" and dishing out their hateful comments against their "slaves". These people have continued to propagate these views although they get their pay from their colonial or slave masters. It is utterly concerning and hypocritical that some people who claim to be educated continue to propagate these disgraceful views. I am not aware that any of them have resigned from their daily work provided for them by the “slave masters” since they continue to harbor such resentments.

The thing is, Nigeria needs to have a coach that is at the level of coaching or higher than what majority of our players get at their clubs. It makes zero sense to just hire any coach who operates at a significantly lower level than what they get. It does not matter whether he is Nigerian or not. At the moment, I am not aware of any Nigerian-born coach who is coaching at any level in England, Italy, Germany, France or in any top league in the world where majority of our players play.

Odegbami has been on this local coach and colonial mentality nonsense for a long time. He was on the neck of Rhor until he was fired. He got his wish and that decision led Nigeria to the worst AFCON performance in close to 40 years plus our world cup non qualification. Less than 2 years later, we have forgotten, and the vultures are gathered again to devour what is left of the little pride we restore from last AFCON (with a slave master coach). For these people, it does not matter whether Nigeria qualifies or does well. They are more interested in seeing a local coach at the helm of affairs without any clear justification, at all cost. As far as they are concerned, this selfish behavior is considered patriotic- Nigeria can fail as long as the local coach is there. To them, passionate Nigerian fans crying for SE’s success does not matter as long as the local coach is there. Who did this to black Africans?
Thank you ahidjo2 for encapsulating the debate so well.

What for me is most interesting about threads like this is the fact that for the most part, virtually everyone on CE actually wants the same end-result:
- sustained success for the SE
- fair and equal treatment for SE coaches wherever they are from
- quality control for merit-based invitations to the elite SE squad, with no ‘quota’ system of any form
- a transparent, corrupt-free process, managed by the NFF

The problem in this place is that people believe they have to belittle and insult others who differ on the way to achieve these goals.
Let’s face it, one has to wonder why virtually all the insults and innuendos come from one side:

- ’WOWOs’
- ‘Slaves’
- ‘inferiority complex’
- ‘low self-esteem’
- ‘colonial mentality’
- ‘low ambition’

and lots more.

It’s a cheap appeal to crass sentiments and doesn’t do the debate any good at all.
Like you pointed out, it portends a weak argument coming, or already being made.
Very little substance.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...if football is our number one sport, and we are known to be good at it (or pretend to be), then why can't we have good administrators, good coaches, and finally good players all from within country? Answer to all this is willful corruption to incompetence on our part, those supporting and not supporting who the coach would be. Our football administration is as corrupt as the federal govt in Aso Rock and at the state houses across the country, that's why this nonsense continue to pervade with no one hauling some person or person to court to account for this incompetent disgrace of Nigeria.

Bribery reigns supreme.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:34 am

An article is bereft of common sense or any intellect whatsoever, riddled with subtle racism. It is not surprising considering that some of our people resort to racist, supremacist, arrogant, lame, and senseless terms such as "colonial mentality", "slave mentality" and "WOWO" whenever they lack useful terms to back up their usual illogical submissions. Some of the people shouting these terms are hiding in the lands of the so-called "slaves" and dishing out their hateful comments against their "slaves". These people have continued to propagate these views although they get their pay from their colonial or slave masters. It is utterly concerning and hypocritical that some people who claim to be educated continue to propagate these disgraceful views. I am not aware that any of them have resigned from their daily work provided for them by the “slave masters” since they continue to harbor such resentments.

The thing is, Nigeria needs to have a coach that is at the level of coaching or higher than what majority of our players get at their clubs. It makes zero sense to just hire any coach who operates at a significantly lower level than what they get. It does not matter whether he is Nigerian or not. At the moment, I am not aware of any Nigerian-born coach who is coaching at any level in England, Italy, Germany, France or in any top league in the world where majority of our players play.

Odegbami has been on this local coach and colonial mentality nonsense for a long time. He was on the neck of Rhor until he was fired. He got his wish and that decision led Nigeria to the worst AFCON performance in close to 40 years plus our world cup non qualification. Less than 2 years later, we have forgotten, and the vultures are gathered again to devour what is left of the little pride we restore from last AFCON (with a slave master coach). For these people, it does not matter whether Nigeria qualifies or does well. They are more interested in seeing a local coach at the helm of affairs without any clear justification, at all cost. As far as they are concerned, this selfish behavior is considered patriotic- Nigeria can fail as long as the local coach is there. To them, passionate Nigerian fans crying for SE’s success does not matter as long as the local coach is there. Who did this to black Africans?

What for me is most interesting about threads like this is the fact that for the most part, virtually everyone on CE actually wants the same end-result:
- quality control for merit-based invitations to the elite SE squad, with no ‘quota’ system of any form

The problem in this place is that people believe they have to belittle and insult others who differ on the way to achieve these goals.
Let’s face it, one has to wonder why virtually all the insults and innuendos come from one side:

- ’WOWOs’
- ‘Slaves’
- ‘inferiority complex’
- ‘low self-esteem’
- ‘colonial mentality’
- ‘low ambition’

and lots more.

It’s a cheap appeal to crass sentiments and doesn’t do the debate any good at all.
Like you pointed out, it portends a weak argument coming, or already being made.
Very little substance.
Damunk

It is a bit disingenuous to couch it as you have done. The divide has an origin. You need to acknowledge that origin. The pro-Eyropean coach group created the divide as far as the period of colonialism and it continues till date. It has always been couched as Europeans having a certain knowledge that the locals have to learn from. This very theory about football management knowledge continues till date in the corridors of the NFF and snippets of ut emerged in Ikpeba's recent interview with the media.

Thus, the reaction to it should not be surprising and perhaps it is an understatement to claim that it has been long overdue. There is absolutely nothing in football that makes its coaching unreachable to Nigerians. Absolutely nothing in it!

My view is that I do not care about the origin of a manager if that manager is demonstratively a difference maker. However, I surely will go for an indigenuous manager than hire a journeyman European who is not significantly better. In making such a decision, not only do we develop our local talent [do you disagree with that?] as well as save money. For that, no one should offer apologies.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

- ’WOWOs’
- ‘Slaves’
- ‘inferiority complex’
- ‘low self-esteem’
- ‘colonial mentality’
- ‘low ambition’

and lots more.

Very little substance.
The mistake some of us on the forum make is to think that we all want success for the SE.
Not everyone is interested in the SE’s success as we have seen from comments from those who want a local coach to learn on the job and not being bothered about qualifying for the 2026 World Cup. We had someone suggest during the last days of Rohr that the NFF should frustrate him not minding the resultant effects on the fortunes of the SE.
Damunk, you make too much sense but they’re not ready to listen rather they will come up with an intellectually defective response.
They refer to Rohr and Peseiro as journeymen yet none of the coaches they support have anything close to the resumes of these “ journeymen”.
We went through all this nonsense little over 2 years and we are back to it again.
We never seem to learn any lessons!
I am happy
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:59 pm

- ’WOWOs’
- ‘Slaves’
- ‘inferiority complex’
- ‘low self-esteem’
- ‘colonial mentality’
- ‘low ambition’

and lots more.

Very little substance.
Damunk

It is a bit disingenuous to couch it as you have done. The divide has an origin. You need to acknowledge that origin. The pro-Eyropean coach group created the divide as far as the period of colonialism and it continues till date. It has always been couched as Europeans having a certain knowledge that the locals have to learn from. This very theory about football management knowledge continues till date in the corridors of the NFF and snippets of ut emerged in Ikpeba's recent interview with the media.

Thus, the reaction to it should not be surprising and perhaps it is an understatement to claim that it has been long overdue. There is absolutely nothing in football that makes its coaching unreachable to Nigerians. Absolutely nothing in it!

My view is that I do not care about the origin of a manager if that manager is demonstratively a difference maker. However, I surely will go for an indigenuous manager than hire a journeyman European who is not significantly better. In making such a decision, not only do we develop our local talent [do you disagree with that?] as well as save money. For that, no one should offer apologies.
Thank you! They are pretending as if there is no basis to the sentiment expressed by Odegbami. These are people who are prepared to use unstable Odewingie's statement as proof that all local coaches are corrupt. We have seen the defence of the invitation of a player from Yum Yum by a permanent foreign manager vs the vilification of the selection of a player that was recently a top NPFL talent by an interim manager.

We have seen them give an interim local manager more stick after he took over just a few weeks before a tournament than a foreign one with over a year in the job. While I do not agree with Odegbami, I know where that sentiment came from.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:59 pm

- ’WOWOs’
- ‘Slaves’
- ‘inferiority complex’
- ‘low self-esteem’
- ‘colonial mentality’
- ‘low ambition’

and lots more.

Very little substance.
Damunk

Prof, I refuse to continue to debate with you on this topic because it seems you either refuse to take on board the true position of these so-called ‘pro-European’ fans (a label which I find to be totally ridiculous) or for some strange reason, you just can’t see beyond your straw man.
It’s a similarly narrow viewpoint you regularly take on footballers to be invited to the SE camp.

So all these years you strictly see me as pro-European? Me?
Most people in this so-called pro-European group are very similar to me and truth be told, it appears you have to paint the whole debate in ‘WOWOism’ to enable your argument.
You might not use the term yourself, but that’s how you all see it.

The fact that you cannot really see anything beyond that means there really is no discussion to be had. You’ve ‘replied’ to my post but have not so much as addressed a single issue I raised in it. Instead you are actually asking me whether I agree with a need to ‘develop local talent’.
Really? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This is why I’ve been saying this is never going to be an honest debate because it is obvious you do not even understand what we are saying!
It’s simply a debate full of strawmen.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I’ve just read the Odegbami article.
It’s so full of old derogatory clichés, it’s unbelievable.
Almost every backhand insult I listed earlier is in there.

No wonder the black panthers are very happy. :rotf:
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:18 pm I’ve just read the Odegbami article.

So you wrote paragraphs without reading the article?
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Bell wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:22 am SOME HERE MAY BE ABLE TO QUICKLY ANSWER THIS

How often has the Federation fired a foreign coach (I can remember only Bonfrere). How often has it extended a Nigerian coach? The answer could be telling.
Bell
Could it be also be a function of how the federation view the players? As originally, undisciplined street players? As animals to be corralled? That which can only be successfully done under a white coach? A possible side effect of the NFF members themselves having had the misfortune of working in the NFF, and bearing witness to effects of (cumulative) dysfunction.
Forced to produce a semblance of result, wouldn't the NFF's first instinct be to get a compensatory foreign coach, and outsource their responsibilities?

Which national team coach is responsible for the players' jersey, feeding, and logistics at tournaments? Distracted by pre requisites, there is not enough time, energy and attention to execute what a coach was hired for!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

OJI wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:21 pm
Bell wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:22 am SOME HERE MAY BE ABLE TO QUICKLY ANSWER THIS

How often has the Federation fired a foreign coach (I can remember only Bonfrere). How often has it extended a Nigerian coach? The answer could be telling.
Bell
Could it be also be a function of how the federation view the players? As originally, undisciplined street players? As animals to be corralled? That which can only be successfully done under a white coach? A possible side effect of the NFF members themselves having had the misfortune of working in the NFF, and bearing witness to effects of (cumulative) dysfunction.
Forced to produce a semblance of result, wouldn't the NFF's first instinct be to get a compensatory foreign coach, and outsource their responsibilities?

Which national team coach is responsible for the players' jersey, feeding, and logistics at tournaments? Distracted by pre requisites, there is not enough time, energy and attention to execute what a coach was hired for!
This dude :thumb: is trying to impress himself with dialetically verbose essay
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:27 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:18 pm I’ve just read the Odegbami article.

So you wrote paragraphs without reading the article?
Yes. You didn’t see me comment on the article before I read it.
I started off my first post thanking ahidjo2 for his post and then continuing with, “ What I find interesting about threads like this…”. So I obviously was not specifically responding to Odegbami, but to the numerous comments already expressed on an age-old theme that has been debated here for years.

As it turns out, there was nothing new in the Odegbami article and he even used the very tropes I complained about even before I ever read it.
What does that tell you?
Did you find anything new in there?
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

- ’WOWOs’
- ‘Slaves’
- ‘inferiority complex’
- ‘low self-esteem’
- ‘colonial mentality’
- ‘low ambition’

and lots more.

Very little substance.
Thanks Damunk. The kinds of things I read here are bewildering. This battle must not be lost to the agents of destabilization (yes, that's what I see them as). It's unimaginable than less than two years ago, we got booted out of AFCON in the round of 16 and failed to qualify for the world cup as a result of that egregious act of unjustly sacking a coach that met all his targets, these vultures are back with their destabilizing acts. Odegbami was one of the arrowheads of that poisonous and suicidal movement. Some people do not want us to believe Odemwingie who played football when the acts he complained of were happening but want us to believe xenophobic Odegbami who last played for Nigeria more than 40 years ago... If they don't give up on their agenda, we ain't stopping in our bid to put Nigeria first!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

ahidjo2 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:21 pm

- ’WOWOs’
- ‘Slaves’
- ‘inferiority complex’
- ‘low self-esteem’
- ‘colonial mentality’
- ‘low ambition’

and lots more.

Very little substance.
Thanks Damunk. The kinds of things I read here are bewildering. This battle must not be lost to the agents of destabilization (yes, that's what I see them as). It's unimaginable than less than two years ago, we got booted out of AFCON in the round of 16 and failed to qualify for the world cup as a result of that egregious act of unjustly sacking a coach that met all his targets, these vultures are back with their destabilizing acts. Odegbami was one of the arrowheads of that poisonous and suicidal movement. Some people do not want us to believe Odemwingie who played football when the acts he complained of were happening but want us to believe xenophobic Odegbami who last played for Nigeria more than 40 years ago... If they don't give up on their agenda, we ain't stopping in our bid to put Nigeria first!
Did Odegbami ask the NFF to delay so long before sacking the coach and replacing him on an interim basis days before the tournament? Did the said coach not win 3 out of 4 games at the AFCON and lose on away goals at the WCQ? The coach that "met his targets" lost to Central African Republic and drew against Cape Verde at home. It was the right decision to sack him. Blame the NFF that took so long to replace him.

And I won't believe anybody that calls ALL our local coaches, corrupt, not least Odemwingie, who is at best unstable upstairs.
Babadee
Egg
Egg

Post by Babadee »

aruako1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:23 am
Babadee wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:17 am

It’s very poorly written if you ask me.

If this is published worldwide it can be labeled as racist

Football in Europe is more advanced than African football. So also coaching

Odewingie said correctly Nigerian coaches end up to become agents.

Keshi who was Nigeria model coach was collecting bribe to field players.
You are a prime example of the reason why Odegbami has felt the need to write the article. Did you just take Odemwingie's word for it when he accused Kanu's wife of wooing him? Why have you not sent your evidence of corruption to the authorities? Any evidence of corruption from Finidi you can share with us?

You talk about racism but you also tar all Nigerian coaches with the same brush
Hire based on competence and not race or skin color.

If you get an ex player with not enough coaching experience, it will back fire.

Last time a Nigerian coach won a competition in the African continent was when ? Maybe Enyimba coach.

They also have not helped their own case.
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

aruako1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:02 pm

- ’WOWOs’
- ‘Slaves’
- ‘inferiority complex’
- ‘low self-esteem’
- ‘colonial mentality’
- ‘low ambition’

and lots more.

Very little substance.
Did Odegbami ask the NFF to delay so long before sacking the coach and replacing him on an interim basis days before the tournament? Did the said coach not win 3 out of 4 games at the AFCON and lose on away goals at the WCQ? The coach that "met his targets" lost to Central African Republic and drew against Cape Verde at home. It was the right decision to sack him. Blame the NFF that took so long to replace him.

And I won't believe anybody that calls ALL our local coaches, corrupt, not least Odemwingie, who is at best unstable upstairs.
It is absurd, illogical and senseless to sack a coach that met his target. There was absolutely no rational reason to have gotten rid of him. No sane organization does that. Your remarks about losing games were quite absurd. Rohr was not hired not to lose games (no coach is ever appointed not to lose any away or home games). His targets were clear and he met all (qualified for AFCON and the next round of the WC qualifier) by the time he was let go. I will always prefer a coach who loses games but meets his target to one who doesn't lose but misses the target. Give me Argentina that lost to Saudi but won the world cup. Give me CIV that came 3rd in their group but went ahead to win the tournament. The Nigerian team that won AFCON 2013 drew their first 2 games but went ahead to win the trophy. Eguavoen was not sent there to win all group games and lose the knockout game. We stick with facts: Nigeria failed in Cameron and failed to go to the last world cup. Rohr qualified Nigeria for AFCON twice and was on course to qualify Nigeria for the 2nd world cup before he was criminally terminated. As for the comment on Odemwingie, he has sound mind, and knows football, football administration and other happenings in the Nigerian footballing world much better than almost of all the folks on this forum most of whom are mere keyboard warriors.
Last edited by ahidjo2 on Mon May 06, 2024 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Babadee wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:59 am
aruako1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:23 am
Babadee wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:17 am

It’s very poorly written if you ask me.

If this is published worldwide it can be labeled as racist

Football in Europe is more advanced than African football. So also coaching

Odewingie said correctly Nigerian coaches end up to become agents.

Keshi who was Nigeria model coach was collecting bribe to field players.
You are a prime example of the reason why Odegbami has felt the need to write the article. Did you just take Odemwingie's word for it when he accused Kanu's wife of wooing him? Why have you not sent your evidence of corruption to the authorities? Any evidence of corruption from Finidi you can share with us?

You talk about racism but you also tar all Nigerian coaches with the same brush
Hire based on competence and not race or skin color.

If you get an ex player with not enough coaching experience, it will back fire.

Last time a Nigerian coach won a competition in the African continent was when ? Maybe Enyimba coach.

They also have not helped their own case.
Babadee,

When last did an FC win the AFCON? Just asking in response to the point about last time a Nigerian coach won a competition in the continent. LOL. 😃 😀

The point is that such statements are truly meaningless. There are multiple factors that impact winning a trophy.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

ahidjo2 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:35 am
aruako1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:02 pm

- ’WOWOs’
- ‘Slaves’
- ‘inferiority complex’
- ‘low self-esteem’
- ‘colonial mentality’
- ‘low ambition’

and lots more.

Very little substance.

It is absurd, illogical and senseless to sack a coach that met his target. There was absolutely no rational reason to have gotten rid of him. No sane organization does that. Your remarks about losing games were quite absurd. Rohr was not hired not to lose games (no coach is ever appointed not to lose any away or home games). His targets were clear and he met all (qualified for AFCON and the next round of the WC qualifier) by the time he was let go. I will always prefer a coach who loses games but meets his target to one who doesn't lose but misses the target. Give me Argentina that lost to Saudi but won the world cup. Give me CIV that came 3rd in their group but went ahead to win the tournament. The Nigerian team that won AFCON 2013 drew their first 2 games but went ahead to win the trophy. Eguavoen was not sent there to win all group games and lose the knockout game. We stick with facts: Nigeria failed in Cameron and failed to go to the last world cup. Rohr qualified Nigeria for AFCON twice and was on course to qualify Nigeria for the 2nd world cup before he was criminally terminated. As for the comment on Odemwingie, he has sound mind, and knows football, football administration and other happenings in the Nigerian footballing world much better than almost of all the folks on this forum most of whom are mere keyboard warriors.
Did the fans set the targets for him? No. Fans will always call him out if his football or results are not what they expect. I defended the sane Rohr several times but we barely scraped to qualification against Cape Verde. Did you expect fans to be happy? Was it the fans that sacked him? The same organisation that sacked him fired him - the NFF.

On Eguavoen, it is a fact that NOBODY advocated for Eguavoen's appointment on this forum. Who hired him? The NFF. Again, it is also a fact that he lost only one game. It is also a fact that he took over the team on an interim basis less than a month before the tournament. It is also a fact that Morocco and Senegal went out at the same stage of the AFCON this year and heavens did not fall.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bell
You remember Bonfrere but not Rohr who was the most recent FC to be sacked?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:12 pm

Bell
:rotf:
Selective amnesia.
It doesn’t fit neatly into Oga Bell’s agenda.

Meanwhile, the belief at the time was that ‘Betty Faults’ jumped before he was pushed.
He knew what was coming after his disastrous AFCON Q/F exit in 2008.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Bell
Phillipe Troussier? Anyone remember him?
I am happy
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

ahidjo2 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:35 am

**** was rightfully fired.
The fact he was replaced by the wrong coach does not negate the fact that his termination was the right thing to do.

Folk like you would have stayed with Jean-Louis Gasset over Emerse Faé and missed the opportunity to win the AFCON at home. After all, "no sane organization does that"?!

**** successfully convinced you natives that he needs 6 years to learn on your dime. That you should not expect to compete with the best in Africa because you don't have players playing for big clubs. It was very okay to lose at home to football minnows because he was learning. This man went to the World Cup to LEARN!

In sports there are things known as "a floor" and "a ceiling". Some of you guys are risk-averse and just prefer just qualifying. You are very okay with just getting a Certificate of Competition going with European Mercherniaries.

As for Odemwingie, his actions and utterances shows that he is NOT of sound mind. He has had public displays of mental health issues. He was imposed on the 2014 World Cup team and did what he typically does... destroy the team chemistry by physically fighting his teammate. Notice I didn't use "allegedly." His outbursts on social media also does not depict someone who is of sound mind.

I am glad Chief Sege wrote what he wrote. He is old enough to say it exactly as it is. Let him take the heat. I know quite well that some people have actually openly advocated for re-colonialism. No, not football wise, but in governance. The same people have access to the internet and fan forum sites and never fail to espouse such views. We make excuses when a White Coach makes questionable decisions with not-so-satisfactory outcomes. But as soon as a local coach makes a decision we dont' agree with it is confirmation of our bias. He is incompetent or worse, corrupt.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:20 pm

Bell
Phillipe Troussier? Anyone remember him?
Yeah! Do you recall why he was fired? Both what was said in public and what was said in private?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!