FINIDI GEORGE, SUPER EAGLES COACH: FOOTBALL IS HARD AND TAKES IT'S TOLL

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: FINIDI GEORGE, SUPER EAGLES COACH: FOOTBALL IS HARD AND TAKES IT'S TOLL

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:44 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:45 am
Enugu II wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:22 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:44 am Finidi’s temperament is similar to that of late coach Amodu, he doesn’t get too up or down, he’s even tempered but deceptively extremely focused and ambitious. A lot of other coaches would’ve been happy earning fx in Spain and stuck it out with Mallorca youth teams hoping some day God will bless them, not Finidi. Instead, he took the risk , faced uncertainty and moved back to Nigeria and ended up winning the league 2 yrs later. He became SE asst coach after winning the league and today he’s coach of SE. That’s not the trajectory of a fool who doesn’t know class 4 from form 4, even though the person who made the claim left out the part where Finidi mentioned WAEC exams in a yr.

Personally, I will support him, I have to. Finidi was in the engine room of the team that brought Nigeria to football reckoning. He was actually one of the best wingers of his generation at his prime. A cerebral player whose best attribute was his presence on the pitch, his runs, crosses and defending but all were 2nd to his intelligence. The Nff simply has to support him with resources to allow him do his work. To bring in his own people that’ll make him a better coach not those waiting for their turn. However, I will continue to crtice the Nff and Finidi himself when they screw up. We want to win the WC. That’s what it’s all about.
Emir,

What is the difference between Class four and Form four? Please explain.

Maybe it is just me, I did Class 1,2,3,4, and five in Nigeria. That is precisely what it was known as and the use of Form this and that became in vogue as well. So, I am not sure there is a difference. If there is, please share.
EII,

I think some people are mixing up elementary and secondary school. I seem to recall that ‘form’ was an elementary school term used in some parts of the country as an alternative to ‘standard’. I never encountered a situation where a secondary school class was called anything else besides class🤔❗️

Cheers.
Maybe in some parts of the country.
All I ever knew was Primary school was referred to as “Primary 1, Primary 2” etc.
Secondary school was always referred to as “Form 1, Form 2 “ etc up to “Form 5”.
Then the two A level years were “Lower and Upper 6”.

Anything “Standard” was an ancient term. I know my parents and grandparents referred to their pPrimary school years as such, graduating in “Standard 6”, or what they’d call “Stan’ 6”.

This was all Lagos and probably the south western states and may have been different elsewhere, leading up to the JSS/SSS system.
Same here.

But it really doesn’t mean anything if Finidi is using the world class instead of form. Na English problem.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

iworo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:42 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:35 pm
Are we certain that Finidi attended school sha :lol: ? What's up with "class 4"? If memory serves, it was referred to as "form 4", "form 5" not "class 4" or "class 5". Perhaps that's the terminology in the South-South region :D . In my view, his demeanor lacks confidence and firmness. It's reminiscent of Coach Rohr's interviews. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.
...form and primary are the same depending on the type of school, private or public.
Class is for secondary level (or high school)
The term standard was used before and immediately after independence.
All names/terms were model after the British colo-system.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

It was class 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 for secondary school in Rivers state where he went to school!
Lolly wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:44 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:44 am Finidi’s temperament is similar to that of late coach Amodu, he doesn’t get too up or down, he’s even tempered but deceptively extremely focused and ambitious. A lot of other coaches would’ve been happy earning fx in Spain and stuck it out with Mallorca youth teams hoping some day God will bless them, not Finidi. Instead, he took the risk , faced uncertainty and moved back to Nigeria and ended up winning the league 2 yrs later. He became SE asst coach after winning the league and today he’s coach of SE. That’s not the trajectory of a fool who doesn’t know class 4 from form 4, even though the person who made the claim left out the part where Finidi mentioned WAEC exams in a yr.

Personally, I will support him, I have to. Finidi was in the engine room of the team that brought Nigeria to football reckoning. He was actually one of the best wingers of his generation at his prime. A cerebral player whose best attribute was his presence on the pitch, his runs, crosses and defending but all were 2nd to his intelligence. The Nff simply has to support him with resources to allow him do his work. To bring in his own people that’ll make him a better coach not those waiting for their turn. However, I will continue to crtice the Nff and Finidi himself when they screw up. We want to win the WC. That’s what it’s all about.
Emir,

Maybe it is just me, I did Class 1,2,3,4, and five in Nigeria. That is precisely what it was known as and the use of Form this and that became in vogue as well. So, I am not sure there is a difference. If there is, please share.
EII,

I think some people are mixing up elementary and secondary school. I seem to recall that ‘form’ was an elementary school term used in some parts of the country as an alternative to ‘standard’. I never encountered a situation where a secondary school class was called anything else besides class🤔❗️

Cheers.
All I ever knew was Primary school was referred to as “Primary 1, Primary 2” etc.
Secondary school was always referred to as “Form 1, Form 2 “ etc up to “Form 5”.

Anything “Standard” was an ancient term. I know my parents and grandparents referred to their pPrimary school years as such, graduating in “Standard 6”, or what they’d call “Stan’ 6”.

This was all Lagos and probably the south western states and may have been different elsewhere, leading up to the JSS/SSS system.
Same here.

But it really doesn’t mean anything if Finidi is using the world class instead of form. Na English problem.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Emir,

EII,

Cheers.

Damunk

I must admit that I am getting educated on this. My recollection is that the terms "form" and "class" were used interchangeably. We used "upper" and "lower" as you described and the earlier folks did use "standard" as described.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:56 am Is this thread not about football? All.of a sudden nah standard , form, primary jss and SSS the thing don turn to. Let's call Jakande to judge. Yall need to focus
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Thanks for clarifying. Just as I suspected, terminology varies from region to region.
1naija wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:14 pm It was class 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 for secondary school in Rivers state where he went to school!
Lolly wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:44 am

Emir,

EII,

Cheers.

Same here.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:59 am
Damunk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:17 am
aruako1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:57 pm Good to get a feel of the guy. I like the fact that he took the step to move to Enyimba when he felt he wasn't making progress at Mallorca. And also his decision to make time for his children.

He moved back in 2021. For the "corruption case squad", where are his antecedents for being corrupt apart from him being Nigerian?
Shouldn’t you be directing your question at Van City instead of some imaginary “squad”?
Who make up this much-touted ‘squad’?

There might be one other, maybe even two, but that hardly constitutes a ‘squad’, considering the number of members that regularly engage in discussion here.
And for the life of me, I struggle to recall anyone else directly or indirectly accuse Finidi specifically of corruption.
Please help me out.
It is not just Van City and you know it. Van City was not here when the ugly allegations were made because he invited Taminu. Another poster on this thread has implied the same. We should remove our heads from the sand.
Guy, don’t accuse me of burying my head in the sand. There is no need for that.
I have mentioned Van City straight up. That’s who I know and I can’t name any other with that degree of certainty.
If you can, name them.

When you use terms like “squad”, you are hiding.
You accuse posters of painting all Nigerian coaches with the same dirty brush and then go right on to do same or similar by using vague terms like “the corruption case squad”, like everyone that has at some point accused Nigerian coaches of corruption (including myself) have accused Finidi of same.
Not true.

I’m just asking who make up the “squad” that have accused Finidi of corruption.
That’s all.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:33 pm
aruako1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:57 pm Good to get a feel of the guy. I like the fact that he took the step to move to Enyimba when he felt he wasn't making progress at Mallorca. And also his decision to make time for his children.

He moved back in 2021. For the "corruption case squad", where are his antecedents for being corrupt apart from him being Nigerian?
Shouldn’t you be directing your question at Van City instead of some imaginary “squad”?

There might be one other, maybe even two, but that hardly constitutes a ‘squad’, considering the number of members that regularly engage in discussion here.
And for the life of me, I struggle to recall anyone else directly or indirectly accuse Finidi specifically of corruption.
Please help me out.
It is not just Van City and you know it. Van City was not here when the ugly allegations were made because he invited Taminu. Another poster on this thread has implied the same. We should remove our heads from the sand.
I have mentioned Van City straight up. That’s who I know and I can’t name any other with that degree of certainty.
If you can, name them.

You accuse posters of painting all Nigerian coaches with the same dirty brush and then go right on to do same or similar by using vague terms like “the corruption case squad”, like everyone that has at some point accused Nigerian coaches of corruption (including myself) have accused Finidi of same.
Not true.

That’s all.
I have given you enough information to show that there are more - I won't mention names. The Tanimu thread was full of the insinuations that I talk about. You cannot look up my references and still claim that it is Vancity Eagle and "one or two others", hence the comment about burying one's head in the sand. Every decision of every Nigerian coach is scrutinised and whenever such decisions do not satisfy some people, they will accuse him of corruption. Finidi has not been an exception.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: FINIDI GEORGE, SUPER EAGLES COACH: FOOTBALL IS HARD AND TAKES IT'S TOLLneither of which is very flattering.

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:56 pm

Please help me out.
If you can, name them.

Not true.

That’s all.
I have given you enough information to show that there are more - I won't mention names. The Tanimu thread was full of the insinuations that I talk about. You cannot look up my references and still claim that it is Vancity Eagle and "one or two others", hence the comment about burying one's head in the sand. Every decision of every Nigerian coach is scrutinised and whenever such decisions do not satisfy some people, they will accuse him of corruption. Finidi has not been an exception.
But why do I need to look up your references when you can simply name them?
Is it some kind of secret?
We all get called out both rightly or wrongly for things we have said.
Nobody is going to arrest or sue you for calling anyone out for wrongly accusing Finidi of corruption.

Rather than start trawling through old threads, I’d much rather accept info from those who I regard as reliable sources, of whom you are one. But then you proceed to accuse me of burying my head in the sand, as if I am supposed to keep track of everything everyone says on every matter.

There is no “squad” that has a blanket view on all matters. So from your blunt refusal to mention names, there are only two reasons that come to mind, neither of which is very flattering.

But it’s okay. It’s obviously your prerogative.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FINIDI GEORGE, SUPER EAGLES COACH: FOOTBALL IS HARD AND TAKES IT'S TOLLneither of which is very flattering.

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:49 pm
aruako1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:56 pm

Please help me out.
If you can, name them.

Not true.

That’s all.
But why do I need to look up your references when you can simply name them?
Is it some kind of secret?
We all get called out both rightly or wrongly for things we have said.
Nobody is going to arrest or sue you for calling anyone out for wrongly accusing Finidi of corruption.

Rather than start trawling through old threads, I’d much rather accept info from those who I regard as reliable sources, of whom you are one. But then you proceed to accuse me of burying my head in the sand, as if I am supposed to keep track of everything everyone says on every matter.

There is no “squad” that has a blanket view on all matters. So from your blunt refusal to mention names, there are only two reasons that come to mind, neither of which is very flattering.

But it’s okay. It’s obviously your prerogative.
I'm not going to be forced to give more information when the information I have shared thread suffices. I don't care about the reasons that come to your mind, no matter how unflattering. It is an opinion board and anyone is welcome to disagree. I maintain that there is a squad that ascribes any local coach decision they don't like to corruption. And yes, it is my perogative on whether I name them or refer to threads when they have done the same thing.