Nigeria makes missile deal with N.Korea

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kako
Egg
Egg
Nigeria makes missile deal with N.Korea

Post by Kako »

Nigeria Makes Missile Deal With N. Korea

By GLENN McKENZIE
.c The Associated Press

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) - North Korea has agreed to share missile technology with Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation and a regional military giant, the government announced Wednesday.

Officials gave no details of Tuesday's deal, including whether Nigeria would receive assembled missiles or just technology to make them.

Nigeria said any missile help would be used for ``peacekeeping'' and to protect its territory.

Vice President Atiku Abubakar agreed to the ``program of cooperation that includes missile technology'' with Yang Hyong Sop, the visiting vice president of the North Korean presidium, Abubakar spokesman Onukaba Ojo, told The Associated Press.

The North Korean was to be in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, through Saturday.

Weapons sales are a major revenue source for financially strapped North Korea.

The United States alleges that Pyongyang reaped about $560 million from missile sales in 2001.

In 2003, the United States imposed sanctions on a North Korean company, Changgwang Sinyong Corp., for selling missiles to Pakistan. A shipment of North Korean Scud missiles bound for Yemen was briefly stopped in December in the Arabian Sea.

A statement issued by Abubakar's office said the West African nation's ``government would continue to cooperate with the Korean government in the defense sector, an area in which both Nigeria and North Korea had cooperated over the years.''

Nigeria hoped the United States and other Western nations opposed to North Korean nuclear and weapons proliferation would respect the deal, Ojo said.

``We are a sovereign nation. We should be able to cooperate with any nation we wish to cooperate with as long as it is in the best interests of Nigeria,'' Ojo added, stressing the West African government ``is not shopping around for nuclear technology or weapons of mass destruction.''

``Whatever we are discussing with them is only to enhance the capability of our military for peacekeeping and to protect Nigeria's territorial integrity,'' Ojo added.

Nigeria, with 126 million people, is a political and military heavyweight on the continent and a frequent recipient of U.S. military and law enforcement assistance. Its military supplies much of the manpower of regional peace missions.

01/28/04 10:00 EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

I think this is good for Nigeria.
http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com

The Times of Nigeria.
Breaking the news as it happens!
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

This is not the technology we should even be after self.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

The only good thing about the technology is that it would improve the electricity production in Nigeria.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

yes send the missile to tunisia to the super eagles camp :roll:
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
ukblack
Egg
Egg

Post by ukblack »

Are we about to join the 'axis of evil'? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

ukblack wrote:Are we about to join the 'axis of evil'? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Especially with the Talibans well rooted in Northern Nigeria. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Times of Nigeria.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Akure4Life wrote:The only good thing about the technology is that it would improve the electricity production in Nigeria.
How will N. Korean missile technology improve electricity production in Nigeria?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

marko wrote:yes send the missile to tunisia to the super eagles camp :roll:

Kai wickedness i go die ooohhh!!!!!!!!!!!(LOL)
But anyway, i say another day in misguided and mismanaged priorities.....Is this an agenda now???what of our wasting resources and services???//Missiles will not feed,cloth or heal our people...I say get off the bandwagon and stop showing off, we too want to keep up with the times and lead africa....We are leading them into a hole!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
ChristianNo1
Egg
Egg

Post by ChristianNo1 »

1naija wrote:
Akure4Life wrote:The only good thing about the technology is that it would improve the electricity production in Nigeria.
How will N. Korean missile technology improve electricity production in Nigeria?

Missile technology has nothing to do with electricity production, so it is immaterial to Nigeria. I think the current Nigerian government is going beserk. Up till this very moment, the government is not interested in solving the social, health and economic problems of Nigeria (the roads and hospitals are in deplorable states, electricity generation to the Nigerian populace and industries is erratic, pipe borne water is almost non-existent and unemployment of graduates has sky-rocketed) but interested in obtaining missile technology.

I think that Nigerian leaders have their priorities wrong. They always pursue ventures that open the doors for them to siphon money into their foreign bank accounts. Surprisingly, people still support such ventures as if they make Nigeria great as a nation. Nigerians do not need missiles but food, good roads, pipe borne water, good health programs, constant electricity and good jobs.
"The wicked man flees though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion." --Proverbs 28:1
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Nigeria said any missile help would be used for ``peacekeeping'' and to protect its territory.
Missiles for peace keeping....hmmh that one has me stumped.. :( :(
Last edited by AreaDaddy on Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

AreaDaddy wrote:

Missiles for peace keeping....hmmh that one has me stumped.. :( :(
What about "Peace Enforcing?" That is more like it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Times of Nigeria.
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

What a bloody waste of time and money. Too protect us from whoZ?who is afraid of us??If they want to invade they will, people are to hungry to fight so they will not be able too............

Everything will always be a mess because everyone has the priorities of nigeria in their own pocket.................New porblems are developing and we are chasing things we have no business chasing and getiing into..Wake up dreamers, stop chasing rainbows!!!!!!!!!!!!It is useless,meaningless vanity!!!!!!!!!!!

"The Lord detests the thoughts of the wicked, but those of the pure are pleasing to him. Agreedy man brings trouble to his family, but he who hates a bribe will live. The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil. The lord is far from the wicked but he hears the prayer of the righteous."------ Proverbs 15: 26-29

"The words of the Teacher, son of David, king of Jerusalem: "Meaningless!meaningless! Says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is Meaningless!"
rogo2k1
Egg
Egg

Post by rogo2k1 »

It would improve the economy by creating jobs.
Also, if Nigeria develops the capability to produce these missiles locally, they could sell them to other countries of the world, and gain much needed foreign exchange.
Africans should change their negative mentality towards technology.
When we were about to launch a satellite, people said it was a waste of money.India is also a very poor country, but they not only have a space program, they want to send a man to the moon by 2008.
Africa will never progress if we don't absorb technology from the outside world period. This issue of money is too lame!!!!
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Guv007 wrote:This is not the technology we should even be after self.
:D :D
Eaglet
Eaglet

Guv007 wrote:This is not the technology we should even be after self.
well what do you expect we are lead by a blind man who forgot where he put his brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

rogo2k1 wrote:It would improve the economy by creating jobs.
Also, if Nigeria develops the capability to produce these missiles locally, they could sell them to other countries of the world, and gain much needed foreign exchange.
Africans should change their negative mentality towards technology.
When we were about to launch a satellite, people said it was a waste of money.India is also a very poor country, but they not only have a space program, they want to send a man to the moon by 2008.
Africa will never progress if we don't absorb technology from the outside world period. This issue of money is too lame!!!!

My friend we can absorb techno in anotha way...Small, small not follo follo like fools.THAT is how we do things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A BABY MUST LEARN HOW TO CRAWL BEFORE IT WALKS!!!!!!!!!!!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

There is an Ibo proverb that says that, he, whose house is burning doesn't go around chasing after the rats running for cover........I mean, here is a country burdened by debt, corruption and anything else you can think of, and we are thinking of acquiring missiles....

FOr what? Stockpiling munitions for the next coup plotters to lob into Aso Rock? Nigeria is really run by idiots.....Or maybe not. Maybe it is just another ploy to steal money
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

anikulapo wrote:There is an Ibo proverb that says that, he, whose house is burning doesn't go around chasing after the rats running for cover........I mean, here is a country burdened by debt, corruption and anything else you can think of, and we are thinking of acquiring missiles....

FOr what? Stockpiling munitions for the next coup plotters to lob into Aso Rock? Nigeria is really run by idiots.....Or maybe not. Maybe it is just another ploy to steal money

dOES THAT STILL NOT SHOW IDIOTS ARE ABOARD THE SHIP?????????
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

What buffoons rule african nations..........................Wow, when dem say education and common sense has gone to waste i see what they mean.......

Mixed priorities and mismanagement 101.......................God Forbid!!!!!!!!

Kai, which way naija?????????????????
i know, down hill from here????????? :|
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Question: Where will these stupid things be tested??????? :?
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

For me this is a welcomed development, if the news is true,but on a more serious note , naija needs to solve her basic things first, that ougth to be our priority.Hmm it just goes to show who is leading us
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

SO LIVING: Was the welcome development, a joke or were you serious, abeg.... :?:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.