Abbey and his Flaws

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Blakes
Egg
Egg
Abbey and his Flaws

Post by Blakes »

Ok , so many people ,including me, have said soo mcuh good stuff about Abbey that someone who didn't watch the game willl think that his preformance was perfect(no one is perfect but the closer he his to perfect the better)...But it wasn't, since no one is pointing out any of his flaws i will take upon myself to do so....

He had a great game and i was impressed BUT the bobo was sending in tooo many long balls...now if he was on the Norwegian national team no one would care but with the SE its different. If C3 desides to include a midfield in his next line up then Abbey must stop all this long ball booting...it dusrupts midfield play...most of the time the long balls ended up with the morrocan defense...there is obviously a higher element of luck involved with this style of play..

Secondly the man was moving forward too much...infact he played like a defensive midfielder in that match...he needs to stop that especially since Yobo is not a solid CB,sometimes he was also slow to move back into position...luckily for him the morrrocan team decided to exploit Baba's wing alot more...he might not be soo lucky against SA...

Lets see how he preforms against SA...
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

the problem was that there was nobody for abbey to pass to. Most of the players did not make themselves open for a decent pass. They watched as he either got marked down or till he cleared the ball.

He played a safe game. No fancy footwork but effective. IF we had people making runs and making themselves open, then we can blame him for playing long ball. To me he played a well balanced game. I always felt at ease whenever he had the ball.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

the problem was that there was nobody for abbey to pass to. Most of the players did not make themselves open for a decent pass. They watched as he either got marked down or till he cleared the ball.

He played a safe game. No fancy footwork but effective. IF we had people making runs and making themselves open, then we can blame him for playing long ball. To me he played a well balanced game. I always felt at ease whenever he had the ball.

Good point, thats why i said "If C3 desides to include a midfield in his next line up then Abbey must stop all this ball booting "
-Biggie
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I dont think Abbey has that accurate intermediate pass in his repertoire. Abbey is not Permiership material but certainly Div 1.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
kaycee2g

Post by kaycee2g »

Yujam, when u say - " premiership material," i will want you to explain to us what u mean.

If ppl like Henri Camara, the whole wolves and leeds team can make the premiership, then i carertainly believe Abbey can. Or, are u telling me that every right back in the premiership is better than abbey?? if thats the case, then CCC is more of a *kindperson* than i thought.
ayohoff
Egg
Egg

Post by ayohoff »

The pleyers were not making the kind of runs necessary for the game u want from Abbey
great goal!
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

I was watching Abbey for the first time and I was most impressed. Infact he was one of the few things I could take away as a consolation after the loss.

He fought hard in the midfield and hardly lost any fight for the ball and helped some players who were feeble in handling the Morrocans. His touches and ball control was superb. He played deep but was effective in the defence and midfield.

As for his passes, that depended on the options available to him and no player came for passes as was usually the case with the usual Nigerian teams. Normally, JJ and Kanu would be advancing for passes but they were nowhere to be found so he had no other option than to lob. One of his through passes sent Aghahowa loose only for Yakubu to shoot wide when he could have nailed the Moroccans.

For the Morrocans to ignore his wing and decide to attack from Baba's wing vindicates him as thay knew he would fight them hard. Babayaro gave them space as was evident with the goal.

Abbey had also a business like attitude and a no nonsense play which marks him as a good material that can improve if he plays at a higher level. A sure start in the next match.
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

I was watching Abbey for the first time and I was most impressed. Infact he was one of the few things I could take away as a consolation after the loss.

He fought hard in the midfield and hardly lost any fight for the ball and helped some players who were feeble in handling the Morrocans. His touches and ball control was superb. He played deep but was effective in the defence and midfield.

As for his passes, that depended on the options available to him and no player came for passes as was usually the case with the usual Nigerian teams. Normally, JJ and Kanu would be advancing for passes but they were nowhere to be found so he had no other option than to lob. One of his through passes sent Aghahowa loose only for Yakubu to shoot wide when he could have nailed the Moroccans.

For the Morrocans to ignore his wing and decide to attack from Baba's wing vindicates him as thay knew he would fight them hard. Babayaro gave them space as was evident with the goal.

Abbey had also a business like attitude and a no nonsense play which marks him as a good material that can improve if he plays at a higher level. A sure start in the next match.
So u are saying Abbey was perfect? he was good but not that good come on...our search for a consolation to the loss has blinded us to the facts a little.. If abbey over lapses against a real good team they will punish him...and no amount of hussling or fighting will be able to make up for it... so because he long passes connected once he should keep doing them..? long passes are good but overdoing it is just giving the balll away...

So now that u have said Abbey is perfect do u think he would be able to replace yobo if taribo is here? the same way udeze has replaced BABA
-Biggie
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

No super Eagle was perfect on the night, but abbey played very well and must be commended.I agree that he's a definite starter against SA on Sat.

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

For A player playing in his first mayor tournament, Abbey was good close to perfect. He was one of the brightest spot.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

Blakes wrote:

So u are saying Abbey was perfect? he was good but not that good come on...our search for a consolation to the loss has blinded us to the facts a little.. If abbey over lapses against a real good team they will punish him...and no amount of hussling or fighting will be able to make up for it... so because he long passes connected once he should keep doing them..? long passes are good but overdoing it is just giving the balll away...

So now that u have said Abbey is perfect do u think he would be able to replace yobo if taribo is here? the same way udeze has replaced BABA
My man Blakes, Nna, give this abbey guy a break.....for his first international ANC match, I think he did a pretty darn job!
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

YUJAM,
Kai! you just like to misyarn sometimes, just for us to know you are here on this forum. You need to cut back on your misQ's and all your excessive jargons! :evil:
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

Abbey is good i am impressed, i can believe somebody is trying to put this chap down he is premiership material period.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

Blakes,

I never said Abbey was perfect as no one is. I compared his play with his other team mates who were more experienced and play at higher levels. He was a shinning star in the SE team for that match.

In football and other sports, coaches and players like to exploit weaknesses in a team and are not silly to go through tough areas. So, it is the duty of a defender to make his area tough as can be to descourage the use of his defensive area to attack. Abbey did that early with his zeal and the Moroccans moved fast to Babayaro and the centre where Isaac was weak. Babayaro was not physical and gave too much space to the Moroccans and they were rewarded with their goal. The Abbey/Yobo side was stronger and so it was a waste going through there.

It is unfair to say that if we play a better team, Abbey will perform worse than he did. Sometimes, the tougher the match the better the potentials of a player shows. I will say that Abbey has won my approval and I will watch him closely against SA and Benin where the styles of play will be different.

I wonder what you expect of Abbey! Do you want the guy to die on the pitch or score the goals? There are 11 people in the team and if all did as well as Abbey, Seyi, Utaka, Ikedia & Enyeama, we would have won or at worst secured an easy draw.

Moreover, the guy plays in the lower leagues.....................

Sure premiership material!
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Abeey wasnt perfect, he was good one of the best players in green on the day but not perfect

His flaws (very few)
1) too many high crosses that were amounting to nothing (with the formation and the personnel he had no choice but to kick it long)
2) Dallying on the ball when faced with an opponent (This was occuring mainly due to fellow players not showing for him to give the pass)

U could also say he didnt attack the right flank enough but he had no midfield cover and had to hang back
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

OmoNaija:
Sorry to offend you but this is my personal opinion. Abbey George has fundamental weaknesses which in my eyes, mean that he is not Premiership material.

He is a solid defender at times. However his positioning and medium range passing are very suspect. He prefers to hoof the ball up the field and IMO this is not the most efficient way to play football.

My two cents!
omonaija wrote:YUJAM,
Kai! you just like to misyarn sometimes, just for us to know you are here on this forum. You need to cut back on your misQ's and all your excessive jargons! :evil:
raul
Egg
Egg

Post by raul »

I think abbey had a very good game. Iwas impressed. sometimes i wonder wot he's still doin in div 3
wetin dey happin
shakakaka
Egg
Egg

Post by shakakaka »

Agree 100% with Yujam here...this guy has a long way to go.
theshak