The bottom line is we lack quality and depth

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
The bottom line is we lack quality and depth

Post by Lolly »

I know a lot has been said about our performance yesterday but I for one did not expect us to perform well at this ANC. It has been evident for a couple of years now that we have lost some great players and there was no sign that those players could be replaced in the near future.

If we cast our minds back to the last ANC, our performance in most of the group games was very lacklustre but we blamed it on tired legs. The only tired legs from the last ANC who have been pensioned off are Oliseh and Finidi. We still have more or less the same team from ANC 02 - Yobo, Okoronkwo, Udeze, Babayaro, Okocha, Lawal, Kanu, Aghahowa, Agali, Yakubu. When Onigbinde took over, he tried to bring in new players like Utaka, Ogbeche, Justice, Ejiofor, Ikedia. I really believed he was on the right track though people took our performance at the worldcup to judge him. How were we expected to excel at the worldcup with a team full of new caps. He should have been given more time and possibly got some foreign coach assist him. He was ready to try new players and you could see what happened against England. A team full of 'small boys' held England to a goalless draw.

I think we need to be truthful and see that this team lacks quality. Kanu is finished and has been for a while. Okocha cannot run things in the middle on his won. He needs water carriers and more mobile players around him. Aghahowa is not world class, he is very average. Yobo is not an accomplished central defender neither is okoronkwo. Utaka and Yakubu would not play wide midfield for any top club in europe and seyi showed his lack of experience. This is the ANC where most of the players play for top european clubs, not qualifiers.

A few players should be present here but our FA prefer the same old boys. Obodo, Ogbeche, Kalu, a couple of Eyimba players. We are going through the phase that most national teams go through whereby talent becomes scarce for a few years. Cameroon have been there, so has Germany, Holland, England, Ghana, Algeria, Morocco etc. I am not sure we will even qualify for Olympics, world cup 2006 and other tournaments in the next 2-3 years but we will later come out of it with a very good team.

I thank those guys who have done us proud in times past - Odegbami & Co, Keshi, Nwanu, Okafor, Yekini, Amokachie, Oliseh, Uche Okechukwu, Finidi, Mutiu, Taribo, Amunike, Kanu, Okocha and many more. Well done guys. We need your type.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

Post by so__so_scandalous »

i beg sharrap!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

so so,

you don't know me and you are insulting me. I wonder...
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
mystic

Post by mystic »

Lolly, I must say that I disagree with much of what you wrote.
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

Post by so__so_scandalous »

Lolly wrote:so so,

you don't know me and you are insulting me. I wonder...
I apologise for insulting you . I sometimes tend to do that when i see negative comments written about nigeria even when they are true. Sincere apologies.