Lastest About my PC

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lastest About my PC

Post by Guest »

Guys, finally took the PC to a technician and I was very skeptical cos I know tech will lie to you if you don't know what's up just to make money. So turned out my hard drive was the problem. We put my hard drive on another PC and same problem was the problem. Anywayz, I was able to retrieve some documents but I lost allmost all my music files. There were 12GB of them and now I could only get back 15 songs. Really upsetting.

I borrowed MS Office 2000 from my friend 2 years ago, now that I'm on a new hard drive I need a another Office software disc. Went to the shop today and a new Office 2003 standard Edition cost $520. Can anyone provide me with an Office disc. I already spent $125 on the new 80GB hard drive today. This unbudgeted expense is killing as it is. I'm friggin broke.
Thought
Egg
Egg

Post by Thought »

Thats painful! I have lost a few GB's of media but nothing that much. And you are on 56k, right? It will take forever to download a copy.
Real Madrid - The Greatest Club on Earth!
ofilis
Egg
Egg
Re: Lastest About my PC

Post by ofilis »

baba no regrets wrote:Guys, finally took the PC to a technician and I was very skeptical cos I know tech will lie to you if you don't know what's up just to make money. So turned out my hard drive was the problem. We put my hard drive on another PC and same problem was the problem. Anywayz, I was able to retrieve some documents but I lost allmost all my music files. There were 12GB of them and now I could only get back 15 songs. Really upsetting.

I borrowed MS Office 2000 from my friend 2 years ago, now that I'm on a new hard drive I need a another Office software disc. Went to the shop today and a new Office 2003 standard Edition cost $520. Can anyone provide me with an Office disc. I already spent $125 on the new 80GB hard drive today. This unbudgeted expense is killing as it is. I'm friggin broke.
baba no regrets:
Sorry about your situation. Are you saying that your hard drive is "Fried" or what exactly went wrong with it?

If you recall, my earlier advice was to back-up your important files then reformat the drive before reinstalling the OS. That would have saved you all these lost files. Anyway, now that you are getting a new drive, take time to back-up important data including your system files. This will save you from similar losses.
http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com

The Times of Nigeria.
Breaking the news as it happens!

Post by Guest »

I've been trying to see if I can get stuff from this PC and it looks like the technician has played a fast one on me. I opened my Windows Media Player and try to add music from the hard drive and see if there is music hidden somewhere I can't find it and wala! all my music were restored into the media library. All playing as well. Remember I stored the music on my documents and the technician was able to restore my documents and one folder on my desktop that had the most important document I needed. I told him this when he called me this morning to see if he can retrieve that folder since he said he could try get back some files. Am like, if the music are still there and he put a new hard drive of 80GB (the former drive was 40GB) how come I could still get them back? I made the mistake of not asking for the damaged hard drive but I'm going back to him tomorrow to get this. Hard drive just don't go crazy especially when there was no virus that %%%% it up. I scanned and took care of that many hours before the computer went crazy. If the hard drive was messed up, he shouldn't be able to have recovered any document. I asked him what went wrong and he said he doesn't know and can't really know what went wrong. Now I'm thinking it was a minor problem and this dude just fooled me into buying a new drive and made extra buck off me. I'm going to get the drive tomorrow and take it to my friend's PC to see if anything is really wrong. He could give me another messed up hard drive and say that's mine.

Fellas, anyone got MS office. I need that stuff so I can learn MS Access and Publisher. And also use word and excel.
Thought
Egg
Egg

Post by Thought »

I have an 'un-registered' copy but seeing that I live up north of you, e get as e be.
Real Madrid - The Greatest Club on Earth!
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Get yourself some anti-virus and a firewall. I can give you links to free (legal) ones if you're interested.

Post by Guest »

I already got an anti-virus. Two infact, Norton Antivirus 2003 and the AVG one.

Thought, there's a thing called post office.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

baba no regrets wrote:I already got an anti-virus. Two infact, Norton Antivirus 2003 and the AVG one.

Thought, there's a thing called post office.
That's great. Keep it updated (aut update).
Also set up your windows updates to happen automatically.

You also need a firewall