NIGERIA WANT FOREIGN COACH FOR WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet
NIGERIA WANT FOREIGN COACH FOR WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS

Post by Vincent. »

Nigeria want foreign coach for World Cup qualifiers

January 29, 2004

MONASTIR, Tunisia (AFP) - Nigeria are determined to hire a foreign coach for the World Cup qualifiers but it will be down to the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to guarantee his salary.

Nigeria's sports ministry refused to approve former England World Cup skipper Bryan Robson for the job last year, insisting the NFA had failed to follow procedures.

Now, Sports Minister Musa Mohammed says he will give his blessing to a foreign coach for the Super Eagles as soon as the NFA prove they can afford to pay him.

"We need a foreign coach because our own coaches need to be better trained to the required standard and I have demanded to know what was being done as regards the employment of such a coach," Mohammed said Thursday.

"However, the NFA have to follow due process of government. If they do that and they have enough funds to cater for the coach, I will approve them to employ him."

Mohammed told AFP the NFA had planned to pay Robson a total of 300,000 US dollars upfront but had failed to produce an agreement with one of their sponsors who was willing to foot the bill on their behalf.

"I have insisted on things being done the proper way because we had problems with a former foreign coach, who had to leave Nigeria because he was not paid as and when due," he said.

"The government is not ready to take up such a responsibility and so the NFA have to go out and look for sponsors who will support them in this exercise."

Former international skipper Christian Chukwu is in charge of the Eagles at the African Nations Cup in Tunisia but has been roundly criticised for the team's shock 1-0 defeat by Morocco in their opening Group D match.

Nigeria will begin their qualifying campaign for the 2006 World Cup to be hosted by Germany in June with a home game against Rwanda.

Nigeria are determined to hire a foreign coach for the World Cup qualifiers but it will be down to the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to guarantee his salary.
Last edited by Vincent. on Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Nigeria want foreign coach for World Cup qualifiers

Post by juventuss »

Vincent. wrote:Nigeria want foreign coach for World Cup qualifiers

January 29, 2004

MONASTIR, Tunisia (AFP) - Nigeria are determined to hire a foreign coach for the World Cup qualifiers but it will be down to the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to guarantee his salary.

Nigeria's sports ministry refused to approve former England World Cup skipper Bryan Robson for the job last year, insisting the NFA had failed to follow procedures.

Now, Sports Minister Musa Mohammed says he will give his blessing to a foreign coach for the Super Eagles as soon as the NFA prove they can afford to pay him.

"We need a foreign coach because our own coaches need to be better trained to the required standard and I have demanded to know what was being done as regards the employment of such a coach," Mohammed said Thursday.

"However, the NFA have to follow due process of government. If they do that and they have enough funds to cater for the coach, I will approve them to employ him."

Mohammed told AFP the NFA had planned to pay Robson a total of 300,000 US dollars upfront but had failed to produce an agreement with one of their sponsors who was willing to foot the bill on their behalf.

"I have insisted on things being done the proper way because we had problems with a former foreign coach, who had to leave Nigeria because he was not paid as and when due," he said.

"The government is not ready to take up such a responsibility and so the NFA have to go out and look for sponsors who will support them in this exercise."

Former international skipper Christian Chukwu is in charge of the Eagles at the African Nations Cup in Tunisia but has been roundly criticised for the team's shock 1-0 defeat by Morocco in their opening Group D match.

Nigeria will begin their qualifying campaign for the 2006 World Cup to be hosted by Germany in June with a home game against Rwanda.

Nigeria are determined to hire a foreign coach for the World Cup qualifiers but it will be down to the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to guarantee his salary.
Thats good thinking. Let oil companies and mobile companies foot the bill. At this age, naija should not be paying for such.[/b]
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

Even if by some miracle, CCC goes on to win the ANC, we cannot afford to risk our WC chance by keeping him in charge!! The man is absolutely clueless. We all know what happened during ANC qualifying.
ukblack
Egg
Egg

Post by ukblack »

If we get sponsors to pay the FC's salary, are they going to want a say in who gets hired?
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

ukblack wrote:If we get sponsors to pay the FC's salary, are they going to want a say in who gets hired?
They should not have that right. And if NFA gives them that right, they they need to take marketing 101
Stopyra10
Egg
Egg

Post by Stopyra10 »

????? good question :?: :?:
Okocha who now positions himself on the right hand side...watchout.. Okocha..Okocha..Still Okocha!!! what a run by JAYJAY!!
khalela

Post by khalela »

Can someone please tell them that there is foreign coach and there is foreign coach. We no need yeye coach oh!
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

What the NFA/Sports ministry need to do is concentrate on qualifying our boys for the Olympics. Once we qualify, they need to get a more qualified manager for the Olympic team which will form the bedrock of our 2006 World cup campaign. This manager will manage the team at the Olympics and our World Cup qualifiers. As things stand, half of the current team in Tunisia is under 23. That means that you bring in guys like Martins, Eliakwu, Makinwa, Obodo, Uche Kalu, and the other young boys doing well in Europe and blend them with the team. Guys like Kanu and Okocha need to be removed from the team so the young guys can develope their own chemistry. If, as I believe, the SE qualify for the World Cup, then any of the senior players who are still in-form can be a part of the World Cup team that, in theory, has been together since the Olympics. I still believe that Nigeria can win the cup in Tunisia, but we need to get out of the group stages first.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Stopyra10
Egg
Egg
more importantly.. page should relay to sammy.....

Post by Stopyra10 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 440647.stm

Page should be taking notes and trying to get sammy to take a look at Aga and try vehiemently to get him to the reebok stadium!
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]juventuss[/color] wrote:
[color=brown]ukblack[/color] wrote:If we get sponsors to pay the FC's salary, are they going to want a say in who gets hired?
They should not have that right. And if NFA gives them that right, they they need to take marketing 101
On the contrary, they should. Why give the NFA a blank check to go and hire an overpriced underachieving coach? I hope any corporation that decides to sponsor a FC demands a reputable coach with a solid track record is appointed, not a journey man who wants to collect a paycheck for nothing.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]ukblack[/color] wrote:If we get sponsors to pay the FC's salary, are they going to want a say in who gets hired?
On the contrary, they should. Why give the NFA a blank check to go and hire an overpriced underachieving coach? I hope any corporation that decides to sponsor a FC demands a reputable coach with a solid track record is appointed, not a journey man who wants to collect a paycheck for nothing.
And if they (Sponsors) are given such right, what stops them from hiring someone who will answer to them ? After all they pay his salary.

You dont see 02 telling the gunners who they can or cannot buy.
ukblack
Egg
Egg

Post by ukblack »

juventuss wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:
And if they (Sponsors) are given such right, what stops them from hiring someone who will answer to them ? After all they pay his salary.

You dont see 02 telling the gunners who they can or cannot buy.
But juve O2 dont directly pay Wengers salary, what we want to do is get sponsors to pay the FC directly
Bell

Post by Bell »

DID ANYBODY SEE WHAT WAS MISSING FROM THAT REPORT?

The honorable minister offered no plans as to how he (since he's responsible for sports) would make Nigeria able to produce its own coaches. Talk about a clueless way to run a country. And they think coaching is problem. What about visionary leaders?
Bell
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Bell wrote:DID ANYBODY SEE WHAT WAS MISSING FROM THAT REPORT?

The honorable minister offered no plans as to how he (since he's responsible for sports) would make Nigeria able to produce its own coaches. Talk about a clueless way to run a country. And they think coaching is problem. What about visionary leaders?
Bell
Very true!!
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Bell wrote:DID ANYBODY SEE WHAT WAS MISSING FROM THAT REPORT?

Bell
I disagree with your assesment, because I think the minister held up the possibility of training to the required level for our indiginous coaches. It is easy to read the statement either way, but I want to read it in the positive.
To stop trying is to start dying
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

You know I'm SHOCKED at the various responses to this topic. It apparently hasn't occured to any of you that this is the WORST POSSIBLE TIME for the Sports ministry or NFA to be making this kind of announcement.

How exactly is Chukwu supposed to feel at a time he's in charge of qualifying the team for the latter stages? HOW DISRUPTING.

And what is this NONSENSE about Nigeria needing to hire a foreign coach EVEN IF Chukwu wins us the ANC?

This is fooolishness gone mental.

If a foreign coach won us the ANC, none of you, including the NFA, would suggest he be sacked immediately after the tourney in favour of some other coach.

But since Chukwu is a NIgerian, he's easily dispensable, and open to callous disregard from fellow Nigerians.

And you wonder why we have problems.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

ROSSIKE wrote:You know I'm SHOCKED at the various responses to this topic. It apparently hasn't occured to any of you that this is the WORST POSSIBLE TIME for the Sports ministry or NFA to be making this kind of announcement.

How exactly is Chukwu supposed to feel at a time he's in charge of qualifying the team for the latter stages? HOW DISRUPTING.

And what is this NONSENSE about Nigeria needing to hire a foreign coach EVEN IF Chukwu wins us the ANC?

This is fooolishness gone mental.

If a foreign coach won us the ANC, none of you, including the NFA, would suggest he be sacked immediately after the tourney in favour of some other coach.

But since Chukwu is a NIgerian, he's easily dispensable, and open to callous disregard from fellow Nigerians.

And you wonder why we have problems.
This may be news to you, but this actually not new news. When the players were in Faro, similar comments were made. I was one of those that thought, at the time, that such announcement was in poor taste. That was then, this is now. I agree with you that it is probably in poor taste, but CCC already knwe he was a care taker coach. After the performace of the team against Morroco, I am very reluctantly joining the band waggon. Althouh, I will bring back Amodu intead of a FC.