Kanoute Opts for Mali!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Kanoute Opts for Mali!

Post by YUJAM »

Well, Mali's attacks was toothless, but now the rest of Africa better watch out.

In another games, a Cameroon side mostly made up of local players lost to a strong Valencia select side by 1 goal. Burkina Faso got whupped 4 to 0 by a modest Spanish side.

Form BBC Africa
Kanoute opts for Mali

Kanoute may quit Spurs dogfight
Frederic Kanoute has said he will play for Mali in the Nations Cup.
Kanoute is set to defy his club Spurs, who want the striker to reject overtures from Mali and stay at White Hart Lane.

The tournament starts in Tunisia on 24 January and Kanoute said: "I should be going with Mali. I have decided to play for them and I have told Spurs."

Frustrated Spurs caretaker boss David Pleat said: "It is a tester for him whether he wants to stay and fight."

He added: "His decision to play for Mali has not been confirmed. The matter is complicated.

"I don't think there is any way we can stop him going.

"We will have to see how the situation develops but obviously it is not in Freddie's or the club's interests for him to go."

I have decided to play for Mali and I have told Spurs

Frederic Kanoute

Kanoute, 26, is Spurs' leading scorer with seven league goals this term, and his absence would be a massive blow after they sunk into the Premiership's bottom three after defeat at home to Charlton.

Kanoute was selected by Mali coach Henri Stambouli in his preliminary squad of 32 for the finals.

Although Kanoute has played for the French under-21 team, he is eligible to play for Mali under Fifa regulations.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

He's better off playing for his country. I think he has made a good choice.
...but with God all things are possible...
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

If this is true, you have just got to admire his guts and boldness.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

A plus to MALI SQUARD in my opinion.
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

I can't blame him, by now he must be fedup playing for relegation bounds team first West Ham and now Spurs.

Spurs have never got their act together they have gone through 5 managers in the last 5 years
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

MALI becomes a more credible opponent...remember they were 4th in the last tourney...
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

Good for him - now he can display his sublime skills to an International Audience, so that he can get out of that relegation bound club.
You future depends on your dreams: so go to sleep
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Does Obafemi MArtins know this? Some body please tell him because we are losing patience with him
I lost patience months ago
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Mali is the next Senegal waiting to happen.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

This is just Vieira, Desailly, Cisse et al in reverse - but worse. If Kanoute had the chance, he'd probably drop Mali for France in an instant. This is nothing to admire him for.
And if i was a ColdSpud, i'd be particuarly angry. Its one thing to miss a crucial part of the season when you're already an international, its another when you're leaving for a second choice team, at the last moment, and when your club has just entered a relegation battle.
Last edited by Eagle Winged on Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

EW:
The Euro teams can go to hell, man. The ANC is more important and should always come first for an African player.

Annointed:
Yup, the have the potential to surpass Senegal because IMO, they have superior upcoming players.

Check this out:
Diamatoune - Perugia - Excellent central defender or right back for Perugia. Boy is super strong in the air

Diarra - Freiburg - I believe that is the guy they call Police in Mali. Strong player

Sissokho - Valencia - Tall and rangy midfield defender that has started a few times for Valencia

Coulibaly - Freiburg - Tremendous attacking threat from the left. Has done very well for Freiburg this season.

Diarra - Lyon - Another holding/DM who is quite solid.

Kanoute - Spurs - Nuff said..

Coulibaly - Lens- Big strong central defender. Impressive.
anointed wrote:Mali is the next Senegal waiting to happen.
Last edited by YUJAM on Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

YUJAM wrote:Yup, the have the potential to surpass Senegal because IMO, they have superior upcoming players.

Check this out:
Diamatoune - Perugia
Diarra - Freiburg
Sissokho - Valencia
Coulibaly - Freiburg
Diarra - Lyon
Kanoute - Spurs
Coulibaly - Lens
anointed wrote:Mali is the next Senegal waiting to happen.
Add Mahmoud Traore of Ismaili, a terriffic striker by any standards...
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

YUJAM wrote:EW:
The Euro teams can go to hell, man. The ANC is more important and should always come first for an African player.
Indeed. But Kanoute isnt an African.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Frank:
Him too. There are a few others that I missed too. If they have any semblance or organization, they should be a force to be reckoned with for years to come.
Add Mahmoud Traore of Ismaili, a terriffic striker by any standards...
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I will refer to one of my favorite musicians of all time for that one:

No matter where you come from..
If you are a black man...
You are an African...

YUJAM wrote:
EW:

Indeed. But Kanoute isnt an African.
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

If only he could smell the bench for France, he would not even think of playing for Mali.
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

Yujam add Seidou Keita. That is my best Malian player. Kai that guy has got skills.
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

This is victory for Africa over Spurs.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

Where does he think is going? We are struggling in the league and he's going to the nations Cup. He better sit his bonny behind down and score some goals.

Does he like getting relegated or something?
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Kanoute is a LOSER....and he jumps ship when all is not going well.My West Ham pal told me this about him many months ago.

forget about Africa or Europe issue here, if you were a businessman, would you be happy if your main investment deserted you at the hour of need?

People like Allardyce etc should shut up about JJ because they knew JJ and the likes were african and would play ANC. Not sure Spurs saw that coming.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gooner and I'll be overjoyed if kanoute goes and Spurs get relegated....but if we're to be fair, turning your back to your people at their hour of need is NOT the sign of a real man.

Q
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

If Kanoute goes, then dont be surprised if he never plays for ColdSpuds again. Thats certainly what plenty of fans are calling for.
This is a stupid move from Kanoute.
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Eagle Winged wrote:If Kanoute goes, then dont be surprised if he never plays for ColdSpuds again. Thats certainly what plenty of fans are calling for.
This is a stupid move from Kanoute.

Are u a spud fan?
Why would you call KAnoute's a bad move but hail the move to get MArtins to agree to Super Eagles move?
IF KAnoute goes to the ANC and does well, he may not even need to lace his boots for SPuds any more.
Please let us hail his move and hail other moves by African players to play for their countries
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Kanoute should go and play for Mali because

1) When the chips are down you have to look after your own interest and I believe going to Mali isn't against his interest

2) He know he is a good enough player that even if Spurs go down he will get another club, particularly so if he has a good spell at the ANC.

3) Yes he is probably playing for Mali because he can't get a game with France, but if people like Olisadebe can play for Poland, Owen Hargreaves for England, and I believe Tunisia has got one or two brazillians in their squad, why not Kanoute for Mali?

4) His Grandpapa and Mama for Bamako, Timbuktu will be overjoyed that their pikin has finally come back to his roots.

5) ...and did I mention it may mean spurs will go down 8)
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."