kanu draws a blank

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

qwerty
Egg
Egg
kanu draws a blank

Post by qwerty »

Last Updated: Thursday, 29 January, 2004, 18:14 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Postcard from Tunisia

By Osasu Obayiuwana
BBC Sport, Monastir

Kanu was in evasive mood
In my 17 years as a football reporter, I had never had a player or personality in the game walk out on me during the course of an interview.
But that long stroke of luck ran out on Wednesday at the Kuriat Palace hotel, where Nigeria's Super Eagles are based for most of their Group D matches.

I found Nwankwo Kanu lurking around the lobby after I had alighted from the hotel lift and my journalistic instincts were screaming at me to grab him for an interview.

His selection for Nigeria's Cup of Nations squad had provoked fierce debate amongst fans and football experts, who argued that Kanu's unconvincing form with English Premiership side Arsenal did not merit a place in the team.

His decision to travel to Nigeria to make a personal appearance at a promotional event while the Super Eagles were in Portugal for pre-Nations' Cup training also made him a reference point for disciplinary issues in the team.

While these burning issues made an interview with the former African Footballer of the Year a rather interesting prospect, I was reluctant to approach Kanu.

Not known for his affability towards the media, I had a nagging feeling that asking for an interview would be a waste of my breath.

I intimated my reservations to James Coker, a colleague who is covering the tournament for Foot Afrique magazine and was with me in the lobby.

But we both agreed that we had to make the effort.

I'm sorry, I am not ready to answer these type of questions

Nigeria striker Kanu

On approaching him, we introduced ourselves and asked for 10 minutes of his time.

Kanu's initial reaction was less than welcoming, but he reluctantly relented and we sat down to commence the interview.

"Kanu, you are supposed to be one of Nigeria's leading forwards," I began.

"But before this tournament in Tunisia, you played in two Cup of Nations finals (2000 and 2002) without scoring a goal for the country.

"What is responsible for your lack of Nations Cup goals?"

I expected Kanu to start by putting up a plausible defence for his run of poor Cup of Nations form over the last four years.

But his knee-jerk reaction to my question totally threw me off balance.

"I'm sorry, I am not ready to answer these type of questions," he said with a condescending smile, as he got up sharply from his seat to make a quick getaway to his room on the fourth floor.

That was the conclusion to the shortest interview in my career.

When I bump into Kanu again, I'll remind him that I'm still waiting for an answer.

His response could provoke yet another memorable moment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 442905.stm
ukblack
Egg
Egg

Post by ukblack »

Thats the fastest Kanu has moved in years..............Yeye man. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

:D :D
This man has been riding on the SE for too long
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]ukblack[/color] wrote:Thats the fastest Kanu has moved in years..............Yeye man. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is cold :lol: :lol: :lol:.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Where is Robby?
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

what is the maan suppose 2 say I wonder
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

The useless journo should have asked him why he bothers laying excellent assists for crucial goals in the Nations Cup. 8)
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

man that jounalist was whack...he just started with the intense questions....he should kissed #$% a little first then hammered the hard questions when Knau was feeling comfortable.....
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

You can't defend that record though. This includes a penalty miss against Cameroon if memory serves me right. The man needs to step up big time.l
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

airwolex,

please talk like a football fan worthy of being Nigerian. The following players have themselves missed famous crucial penalties:

Roberto Baggio
Rivaldo
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Thierry Henry
David Beckham
Luis Figo

Please drop this fake argument
ukblack
Egg
Egg

Post by ukblack »

Jiggerman, the problem is that as a striker Kanus record in the ANC is no better than my grandmothers. His job is to score and he's done a really bad job doing that
Last edited by ukblack on Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

please talk like a football fan worthy of being Nigerian. The following players have themselves missed famous crucial penalties:

but they have always made up for it by scoring goals..kanu has not even made up for it..even Nomvete missed a penalty and scred two goals in return...If kanu does not score against SA then he should never play for Nigeria again...this is way overdue...the only 2 things keeping him in the team is the fact that he warms bench for Arsenal and Atlanta 96..
-Biggie
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

ukblack,

if everybody's job is to score, whose job is it to provide goals? Kanu's intelligence cannot be taken for granted. His brain has saved Nigeria's (and Arsenal's) blushes on countless occassions.

This is not the way to treat him. It is simply selective memory to suggest that Kanu's record is poor.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

None of those players went through three competitions without scoring a goal. I don't dislike Kanu but he's record is poor.
Lagbaja
Egg
Egg
Kanu

Post by Lagbaja »

This is serious journalistic Bullshit. How could he start by asking a question like that. The lad hasnt scored for Naija, he hasnt played well at all in this nations cup, nor in any nations cup or world cup for that matter, but una still dey pick am for una side, wenger still dey pick am for im side .Wot im trying to say is, as long as ccc or ddd or whoever continues to kiss #$% big time and suck up to these OLD #$%, WASHED UP players, they'll continue to play in our national team, and that my friends i cannot fault kanu for. He was chosen to play fair and square he never put a gun to ccc's mother's head.
I cant believe i just said that about kanu lol[/i]
LATER!!!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

The reporter is freaking stupid! Fine, Kanu should not have walked out on him like that but that was a useless question to start off with!!!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Jiggerman21 wrote:ukblack,

if everybody's job is to score, whose job is it to provide goals? Kanu's intelligence cannot be taken for granted. His brain has saved Nigeria's (and Arsenal's) blushes on countless occassions.

This is not the way to treat him. It is simply selective memory to suggest that Kanu's record is poor.
So Kanu's job is provide goals and not score? Even the man himself had the good graces to be embarassed when asked about his poor scoring record. Forget all thst assist talk, that one is MLS, Kanu as an Attacking striker will be judged by goals.
ukblack
Egg
Egg

Post by ukblack »

JM21 I agree its everbodys job to score HOWEVER a striker is meant to score on a more consistent basis than lets say a defender. Kanu doesnt score enough to be in the starting lineup, I also agree he has a great football brain but its seems it only works for 20 mins per game!
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

this is an exaggeration...his brain has saved nigeria? where was that almight brain against morroco..he is a striker not a technical adivser...if he want to use his brain he should quit soccer and apply for the technical adviser position..
recent memory from 2000 suggest kanu is poor..memory from 96 brings a diffrent feeling..but recently the man has not been preforming../..
-Biggie
eric
Egg
Egg

Post by eric »

The reporter is obviously biased. I don't think any sensible reporter starts a conversation with anyone like that.
He deserved to be treated like that by Kanu.
Nevertheless.. I still think Kanu should be dropped to the bench until the second half if need be.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

I'd love to ask why Kanu still wants to play for Nigeria when it is obviously clear he can't get the job done.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

furiously frank wrote:Where is Robby?
I am here. Make una dey laugh at my boy's expense but una go dey surprised as na Kanu go save our ANC hope.
Baii
Egg
Egg

Post by Baii »

Abi o. Wetin uan want make the man talk now?
“A fanatic is one who entrenches himself in invincible ignorance.”

― OSWALD CHAMBERS, Baffled to Fight Better