Success has many Friends.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet
Success has many Friends.

Post by platinum »

Gunner Lauren in Cameroon U-turn

Arsenal defender Lauren has revealed that he intends to perform a U-turn over his decision to quit international football and will therefore play for Cameroon again.

Lauren: Cameroon U-turn (NealSimpson/Empics)

Lauren quit the international scene after the 2002 World Cup finals as he felt that returning to Africa for games was interfering with his career at Highbury.

As a result, the Arsenal full-back is not taking part in the current African Nations' Cup finals as Cameroon seek a record third consecutive victory.

However, he has been considering a reversal of his decision and is now ready to return to the international scene, possibly in time for the World Cup qualifying campaign next season.

The announcement will be welcomed in his homeland, although Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will no doubt be frustrated to lose his defender again at regular intervals during the Premiership season.

Lauren the club's website: 'I will play for Cameroon again in the future.

'After the World Cup, I had a few problems and it was hard for me to decide not to play for them again.

'But I've been thinking about it a lot since then and I will go back. Not now but in the future, maybe in time for the World Cup qualifiers.'

In the meantime, Lauren is watching from afar as the African Nations' Cup unfold, although he believes Cameroon's bid for a third title and last summer's death of Marc-Vivien Foe during the Confederations Cup could act as inspirations to the side.

'The tournament is very important to Africa and to the people of Cameroon,' he added. 'I will be watching on television and I hope Cameroon can get